PDA

View Full Version : Baseball cap-friendly updos?

Tabihito
May 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
I finally got a job about a month and a half ago, working at a coffee shop. And it's wonderful and I honestly enjoy my job, but there's one thing I still have trouble with, and that's my hair at work. For health code reasons, we're required at all times to wear a baseball cap (it's that or a hairnet) when behind the counter. However, due to company policy, we have to take off said cap when we go outside for a break, go in the back to wash dishes, or if we use the restroom.

So for the past month and a half, I've been wearing my hair in an English braid for every shift, due to lack of inspiration. On the plus side, it's done wonders for stretching washes, because I can cover any oily scalp and the rest of it's in a braid so any oil is only going to help keep things neat. On the down side, I am getting a bit tired of the same style every day.

What I'm wondering though is if there are other options that I'm overlooking. Because I'm repeatedly taking the hat on and off, anything meant to stick through the opening in the back of the hat where the head-size-adjuster-thing is pretty much out of the question, or I'd just do a bun as soon as I got to work and put the hat on. So it basically has to be a style that can be worn very low and can be held with either an elastic or with pins (I do have spin pins, and absolutely love them).

I've tried a cinnabun, which ended up being just a bit too wide. Side buns look nice, but are never quite secure enough for some reason.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
I will often pull my hair through the opening in the back, then bun it - a quick and easy bun that can go in and be taken out in a few seconds.

serin blackwood
May 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
I will often pull my hair through the opening in the back, then bun it - a quick and easy bun that can go in and be taken out in a few seconds.

How do you secure the bun? I often wear a cap for the visor in the sun. I've been braiding and pulling the braid through the hole, but a bun would be nicer ... i can't seem to secure a bun without clipping or forking to my scalp hair, which won't fit under the cap then.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I use the shortest, sturdiest stick possible, inserted at one side of the opening in the back of the baseball cap, through the bun, under the scalp hair, and out the other side of the opening at the back of the baseball cap.

fridgee
May 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
You could try other types of braids to mix it up a bit, like rope braid, four strand braids, box braids. I'm not sure if your hair is short enough (I have no idea what 26.5 (inches?/centimeters?/miles? :P) of hair looks like, but what about a gibson tuck? Or an oval bun might be flat enough to get your cap over. Could you do a french braid and coil the length up at the nape of your neck?

theRedEarl
May 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I were a cap constantly while coaching. I wind up a tight bun and fasten with medium pins so they will not be too large. I then put the hat up to my head and reach fingers through to gently squeeze the bun pulling the hat over gently. Other then that, braids. One of my favorites is to put a hair tie about one third of the way down and start the braid there.

Hiriel
May 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
How do you secure the bun? I often wear a cap for the visor in the sun. I've been braiding and pulling the braid through the hole, but a bun would be nicer ... i can't seem to secure a bun without clipping or forking to my scalp hair, which won't fit under the cap then.

I'd imagine a nautilus bun would work, I can hold mine by just inserting the stick through the middle of the bun, without grabbing the scalp hair beneath.

QMacrocarpa
May 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
My general tip: if you use a horizontal hairstick (or a horizontal clip) to secure your updo (like a lazy wrap, nautilus folded braid (http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/2010/04/hairstyle-how-to-flipped-braid.html) or split bun (http://1000daysofhair.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-26-split-bun.html)), then you can likely slip the bottom edge of your cap between your head and the top part of the bun, which means you're not limited to quite such low buns as you may think. I do that a lot with my bike helmet.

jacqueline101
May 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I pull my pony tail through the back.