PDA

View Full Version : Would you entrust your hair to a robot?

Alvrodul
May 2nd, 2012, 04:32 AM
In Japan, where all things tech seem to originate these days, Panasonic has invented a Head Care robot (http://www.futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/technology/futureoftech/shampooing-robot-gives-ultimate-head-massage-746022), which will shampoo your hair and give you a head massage. Supposedly it can handle long hair as well, but I wonder just what their definition of "long hair" is.
Personally, I prefer a flesh-and-blood human. :)

afu
May 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
hmm, the head massage maybe - but i wouldn't go for the washing!

embee
May 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
I don't trust human hairwasher people that much either, I'd rather trust myself!

At least the robot may not try to cut your hair short even if you ask for only a trim! :D

I think all these amazing robot things are coming from the "who will care for our old people?" problem that Japan is facing.

melbournian
May 2nd, 2012, 05:11 AM
Sure, I'd trust that machine to wash my hair :) it can't be worse than the torture I've sometimes been subjected too at the hair dresser's!

Tota
May 2nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
I don't even trust humans with my hair, so robot - run, hair, run!

zombi
May 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
No no no no no no no! I'm so ridiculously tender-headed I barely trust humans not to hurt me -- and lots of the time, I'm right, and they do hurt me. I think with a machine it wouldn't be gentle enough and/or I'd just be paranoid about it pulling hairs out on accident.

red-again
May 2nd, 2012, 05:27 AM
After my first, very successful self-microtrim yesterday and my hair feeling like it's had a good cut but I can't tell 'where' it's been cut, I am with the two PP, I would only trust myself now! Just hope I can reach it all when I get old and wrinkly!!

WaitingSoLong
May 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
All I can say is:
NO ROBOTS. Ever. For ANYthing. Ever. Period.

metricfuture
May 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM
Since I feel a little on edge being alone in a room with a roomba, I'd have to say no.

Heatherzilla
May 2nd, 2012, 05:52 AM
I would try this just for the awesome factor of having a robot wash my hair.

twopoints
May 2nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'd definitely try that. The robot would definitely be well tested so there shouldn't be issues with it pulling or damaging hair. The massage definitely sounds good.

edit: just realized I used definitely a lot. But still, I would definitely try that. It sounds better than any human hands.

Phexlyn
May 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
If someday I'm no longer able to do this myself and I have the choice between dirty hair or getting it washed by a robot - yes, then I'll have the robot. Until then, I'll take care of that myself.

I watched the video and some practical questions came to my mind: How do they adjust how much pressure/heat can be applied? Does everyone just get the same shampoo and conditioner or can you change that - and if you can, don't they waste a whole lot of water in order for it not to mix with previous products?

From the way it looks, they'd have no change of dealing with super-long hair if they'd want to clean the whole length if that tiny water stream is all the robot has for that.

I also think that the guy in the video looks kind of strapped into the machine. I'd be scared to put myself into that, although I do admit the head massage sounds relaxing, especially the neck part.

PrincessIdril
May 2nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Oh I saw that the other day, I think it's awesome. I would totally try it, just so I could say I had.
Robots are awesome

I can't imagine that damage/pulling would be an issue. I mean years ago I saw a robot that could hold an egg and then break it. (you know properly, like we would crack an egg)

Nae
May 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Since I feel a little on edge being alone in a room with a roomba, I'd have to say no.

Just wanted to say that you are in good company. My parents have one of those and it freaks out kids, pets and adults all in one go.

My two year old niece took to following it around at a distance warily and whenever it turned in her direction she would scream and run crying. Poor baby...

Jing
May 2nd, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'd be paranoid about the combination of water and electronics. Especially that close to my brain.

Venefica
May 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
That robot looks like it is going to do nasty things to your brain, but yes sure as long as a robot is tested I would use it, also if the robot is Data from Star trek i would entrust all parts of my body to him. :P

holothuroidea
May 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
I want to try this before my hair gets too long! :laugh:

I would try it once for the novelty, and the sheer sci-fi of it, but never on a regular basis.

HuggyBear
May 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Nope...Never...No way!

QMacrocarpa
May 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
This is like my vision of hair care in the Star Trek universe! I mean, c'mon, Yeoman Rand's a busy gal, there's no way she's got time to make that basketweave bouffant every day!

MonicaJean
May 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Ummm, HECK NO! O.O Seriously? lol For one, I am very particular about how my shampoo is applied because I try to keep it as close to my scalp and roots as possible since my hair dries out quickly if I shampoo any length. Many other reasons make it a no. How efficient is it in rinsing everything out, ect. I'm a detail person though.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
For short hair, yes sure. For long hair, I don't think so. I don't think the thing is equipped to handle really long hair. I can envision the tangled mess already.

swearnsue
May 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM

ROTFL! Kinda true those creepy little things!

holothuroidea
May 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
LMAO I just watched the video and... I was cracking up nervously at how vaguely creepy it is.

Did anyone else have reservations about the idea of being massaged sensuously by 24 tiny robot penises, or am I just that immature?

XcaliburGirl
May 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
In Japan, where all things tech seem to originate these days, Panasonic has invented a Head Care robot (http://www.futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/technology/futureoftech/shampooing-robot-gives-ultimate-head-massage-746022), which will shampoo your hair and give you a head massage. Supposedly it can handle long hair as well, but I wonder just what their definition of "long hair" is.
Personally, I prefer a flesh-and-blood human. :)
I don't like strangers touching me and I really get anxious from getting my hair shampooed at a salon. I think I'd prefer a robot, but it would be even better if I could get my hair shampooed sitting upright. Laying back like that is just too awkward.

I love my Roomba! Mine's name is Sparky. It's like a pet that cleans up after me instead of the other way around!

That robot looks like it is going to do nasty things to your brain, but yes sure as long as a robot is tested I would use it, also if the robot is Data from Star trek i would entrust all parts of my body to him. :P
:laugh:

earthnut
May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
I would not entrust my hair to shampoo, I would not entrust it to a hairdresser, I would not entrust it to a robot. :tongue:

Tia2010
May 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Umm..yes! My nerdy self would love to live in space with full on robots eveywhere...so this makes me smile :D

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Nope; uh-uh, no way in hel.

ArienEllariel
May 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
LMAO I just watched the video and... I was cracking up nervously at how vaguely creepy it is.

Did anyone else have reservations about the idea of being massaged sensuously by 24 tiny robot penises, or am I just that immature?
lol nope! I found it really creepy too. And you're right... it does look like tiny penises... xD

I really wouldn't be comfortable with something like that. I mean, what happens if your hair gets caught in the moving parts? Not to mention I don't like being restrained... I kept having visions of the robot squishing the guy's head or drilling into his brain... among other things. :run:

Tisiloves
May 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't trust it with shampoo, I would not trust it in the loo,
I wouldn't trust it in a box, I wouldn't trust it with my locks,
I wouldn't trust it here or there, I wouldn't trust it with my hair,
I cannot state this more than a lot,
I wouldn't entrust trust my hair to a robot.

Bedhead
May 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Haha! Nice one Tisiloves!

For me, it would have to be around for 20 years and proven not to treat your hair like a garbarator. Then I would try it just for the novelty. For me though getting my hair washed at a salon is a huge part of why I love going to a salon. There's something really healing about getting a good head massage / shampoo from a human. I'm thinking the robot thing might be as good as getting a back massage from a massage chair - feels kind of good, but doesn't quite do the job.

earthnut
May 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
:rollin: love it!

PurplePenguin
May 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM

I agree with you, its kind of creepy.

Too funny :spitting:

Tisiloves
May 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone, I was babysitting and Suess ate my brain.

jacqueline101
May 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think I'd trust a robot doing my hair.

Miss Catrina
May 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'd give it a shot... looks kind of scary, though.

ratgirldjh
May 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
All I can say is:

YAY! Totally agree :)

nobeltonya
May 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
No, I'd rather do it myself.. :D I don't even let my husband mess with my hair lately. He trimmed it for me a few times like 2 years ago, but I wouldn't do that again.. ;)

Amber_Maiden
May 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Nope- I wouldn't. What if its fingers tangled my hair? Or broke some hairs? It being a robot doesn't mean it will be gentle!

Hollyfire3
May 2nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
All I can say is:

This, I SO totally agree! Robots are creepy and I HATE them.

Hollyfire3
May 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

Dr. Suess is that you!? Lol:D Love this! And I agree

MyKing'sQueen
May 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
It looks like conditioner only gets on the scalp area or am I wrong? If I had short hair I would definitely try it, but with my hair I'm scared it would get tangled around the parts and get ripped out:tmi: and I wouldn't be able to stop it...

Impulsive
May 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking no... definitely not. Even if it could properly wash long hair, which I seriously doubt, it's still a machine and machines break all the time. Would you want to be in that chair when it broke? I wouldn't.

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
I don't even trust humans with my hair, so robot - run, hair, run!

If hair starts running, I would be worried there too :P. As for robots, no thanks!

catamonica
May 2nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
I would rather wash my hair myself. No robot & no human.

MagicalMystery
May 2nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
No way. I'm the only person who's touched my hair in 16 years. :D

Quixii
May 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't try this (and I don't trust that it would do well with hair my length at all), but I can see the benefits. I think it's great that they're marketing it to the disabled and elderly. Ever tried to wash your hair using only one arm? I can see where this would really help.
Since DBF really likes head massages, I can see him enjoying this. :)

HairStickler
May 3rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
I think it would be fun to program the robot to do exactly what you would like it to do: sense when a hair is caught and solve that problem, use the amount of pressure you want, use shampoo and/or conditioner in the amount and place you want, rinse with cold water at the end, etc. I would try it if I were unable to wash my hair myself, but only if it were able to accommodate my preferences.

maria_asa
May 3rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I work with machines with a lot of robots in them, have seen first handed what can happen when something goes wrong and there's no way in hell I'd trust my head and hair to one.

(For example I've had mounting robots running amock bending solid steel details and I hate to think of what would have happened if a human had been in it's way. In fact, the first think I teach new operators of the machines is to never trust them completely.)

Venefica
May 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I love my Roomba! Mine's name is Sparky. It's like a pet that cleans up after me instead of the other way around!

Perfect, I want a Roomba, I have a robotic vacuum cleaner but it is a cheap mode, I want a real Roomba, if I get one I will name it as well. How are they with sucking up long hair? :P

XcaliburGirl
May 3rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Perfect, I want a Roomba, I have a robotic vacuum cleaner but it is a cheap mode, I want a real Roomba, if I get one I will name it as well. How are they with sucking up long hair? :P
Not sure yet. I haven't had it while my hair was long. It's OK with chin to shoulder length hair so far. The roller brush comes out easily, though, and it did come with a little tool for cutting the hair off the roller brush: http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2214199

Venefica
May 4th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Thank you for the information. :D