PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner

Sheylenna
May 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM
I've Always used it.... I don't remember a time when I didn't. My Mom must have started using it because of the problem I had tonight.... I know she doesn't but she has short fine hair and she may not need it.

Tonight I washed my hair I did not have conditioner to put on it since I have decided to avoid Aussie (as it has to have been at least PART of the reason that I had split ends since they are not even half as bad with out it).

But that means that I forgot I had no conditioner (shampoo in plenty even if one is Johnson Baby Head to Toe body wash, Surprisingly good for shampoo)

BUT completely out of conditioner.... I tried to oil my hair a bit while it was wet and used A LOT of leave in but I could NOT get a comb through my hair while it was wet.

So I learned a few things today...

I need conditioner...

My hair hates me if I don't use it..... (no water only for me)

My hair, dry, does not tangle NEARLY as much as it does wet....

Even with all the tugging a tearing I did with my comb trying to take out the tangles while it was wet I have very few new split ends.

My hair texture I like better with conditioner

AND

I DO NO have the patients to let my hair dry naturally when it is a birds nest.... :(

fridgee
May 2nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Haha I know exactly what you mean, there is no way I could deal with my hair if it was conditionerless! Well you learn something new every day! ;)

afu
May 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
same, i clarified last night without following with conditioner as i wanted to do a good overnight coconut oil soak and let the lauric acid get in without any coating on the hair - when i got out of the shower my hair felt horrid :( and it was so difficult to brush though compared to normal even when coated with coconut oil. I love conditioner, its my best friend. and for me CO is the way forward

Madora
May 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
I went conditionerless for the first time about a week ago (on purpose) to test whether or not mineral oil could detangle as well as conditioner.

Much to my amazement, after following Ktani's instructions in her Mineral Oil article, the mineral oil (Johnson and Johnson Baby Mineral oil) worked splendidly. Hardly any snarls at all!

Grillz
May 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
For a long time I only used shampoo because I read somewhere that conditioner weighed hair down and SO was better for it. I remember my hair looking really good until it got to about shoulder length, but I didn't have any qualms about ripping a brush through it so it wasn't a big deal. I finally realized the need for conditioner after a visit to a hair salon where the stylist had to spend a ton of time combing out my knots (I didn't realize just how knotty it was until she took her comb to it!!). The point to my story? I thought my hair looked really great when I did SO, but it was really just a pretty rat's nest lol

LadyLongLocks
May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
I would not have long hair if there was no conditioner!

afu
May 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Ladylonglocks im with you on that one!

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think I build up layers of conditioner on my hair because in the past I had plans to do a Manic Panic color, so I would wash my hair but not use conditioner (as stated in the directions on the MP bottle). Then I would not get around to applying the Manic Panic. It seemed like it took 3 or 4 washings before my hair lost that "conditioned" feeling.

heidi w.
May 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I've Always used it.... I don't remember a time when I didn't. My Mom must have started using it because of the problem I had tonight.... I know she doesn't but she has short fine hair and she may not need it.

Tonight I washed my hair I did not have conditioner to put on it since I have decided to avoid Aussie (as it has to have been at least PART of the reason that I had split ends since they are not even half as bad with out it).

But that means that I forgot I had no conditioner (shampoo in plenty even if one is Johnson Baby Head to Toe body wash, Surprisingly good for shampoo)

BUT completely out of conditioner.... I tried to oil my hair a bit while it was wet and used A LOT of leave in but I could NOT get a comb through my hair while it was wet.

So I learned a few things today...

I need conditioner...

My hair hates me if I don't use it..... (no water only for me)

My hair, dry, does not tangle NEARLY as much as it does wet....

Even with all the tugging a tearing I did with my comb trying to take out the tangles while it was wet I have very few new split ends.

My hair texture I like better with conditioner

AND

I DO NO have the patients to let my hair dry naturally when it is a birds nest.... :(

I used to wait til my hair was completely dry before detangling it. But it took about a half hour to work out all the tangles.

Now, I work on my hair while damp to detangle. I have a product that conditions AND detangles as well, and it makes working with my hair while damp a whole lot easier. No more tugs and pulling on the hair. Just glide right through. BUT I do detangle in layers or steps. My first detangle is minimal, and focused mostly on the ends getting that are of the hair detangled. Then I work a bit on edges and kind of separating the clumps of wet hair. Then I let everything dry some more and work in stages to detangle the whole hair, but I work on smaller subsections of hair rather than the whole thing. Just work it in stages works quite well for me.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
I would not have long hair if there was no conditioner!

Same here. I very recently tried a new conditioner, and I don't even think it works well. So back to my usual Biolage once I can find the Conditioning Balm. They gave my Biolage's Hydrating Balm at the last time I purchased a supply 2 weeks ago. Not good enough. It doesn't stay on my hair, and I have more tangles this time than with the Conditioning Balm.

heidi w.

Sheylenna
May 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
I used to wait til my hair was completely dry before detangling it. But it took about a half hour to work out all the tangles.

Now, I work on my hair while damp to detangle. I have a product that conditions AND detangles as well, and it makes working with my hair while damp a whole lot easier. No more tugs and pulling on the hair. Just glide right through. BUT I do detangle in layers or steps. My first detangle is minimal, and focused mostly on the ends getting that are of the hair detangled. Then I work a bit on edges and kind of separating the clumps of wet hair. Then I let everything dry some more and work in stages to detangle the whole hair, but I work on smaller subsections of hair rather than the whole thing. Just work it in stages works quite well for me.

heidi w.

I do work in sections I got the front done then the back then I tried to bring the front in with the back and I was right back where I started (starting from the bottom as always) Usually I do let my hair dry a bit before combing but even partly dry It was horrible.

And when it was dry it was hard and rough and well not normal I may complain that nothing stays in my hair cause its too slick but really I'd rather that to what I had the other day.

When I was dry it did not have tangles but it did not feel right either

Sheylenna
May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
So my Manager at work says she tried this new stuff She said its called "when" (she did not spell it for me.Told me to look for it online so I did and found something called Wen. Anyone ever use it? She says its great.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Wen is not signfigantly better, in my experience, than a 99 cent bottle of Suave natural - or VO5. It's the same type stuff. 'cleansing conditioner' - it's just really expensive.

(I have used both. The realized I dont' care if I'm curly; my hair likes shampoo. And cones. The cones I may revisit at some point, though.)

Sheylenna
May 3rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
I see.10 Characters WHY??????

leilasahhar
May 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
Ok I don't want to steal the persons credit for this but I cant remember where I saw her post..She mentioned using Fenugreek for hair conditioning. I tried it. Bought some fenugreek powder capsules, broke open 5 or 6 and mixed it with 2tblsp of my conditioner.. WOW!!!! Fenugreek now my hairs BEST BEST BEST BEST friend! I know im being silly but seriously my hair has so much damage from bleach, dye, color oops..NOTHING really made my hair soft, except this FENUGREEK! THANK YOU!

WickedWurlys
May 4th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ok I don't want to steal the persons credit for this but I cant remember where I saw her post..She mentioned using Fenugreek for hair conditioning. I tried it. Bought some fenugreek powder capsules, broke open 5 or 6 and mixed it with 2tblsp of my conditioner.. WOW!!!! Fenugreek now my hairs BEST BEST BEST BEST friend! I know im being silly but seriously my hair has so much damage from bleach, dye, color oops..NOTHING really made my hair soft, except this FENUGREEK! THANK YOU!

Oooooh, what is this miracle you speak of????