PDA

View Full Version : Do oils moisturize?

CurlySasha
May 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
So I've been reading a few articles, and it seems that oils don't actually moisturize the hair. Is this true? They just coat the shaft? My whole hair care life has been a lie. :(
Apparently, you need to use water-based products. If this is the case, please recommend a cone-free, easily available water based leave in product.
I'm kinda bummed!
Thanks

Kinkycurlygurl
May 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
So I've been reading a few articles, and it seems that oils don't actually moisturize the hair. Is this true? They just coat the shaft? My whole hair care life has been a lie. :(
Apparently, you need to use water-based products. If this is the case, please recommend a cone-free, easily available water based leave in product.
I'm kinda bummed!
Thanks

I just use water followed by coconut oil.:)

CurlySasha
May 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
Really? That's exactly what I do :) Maybe I have been doing something right! Thanks :D

sarahbrownie
May 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
CavyQueen answered this question (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=717482&postcount=154) pretty awesomely listing oils that do penetrate the hair shaft, and those that only coat it. Here is the original post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=717482) that she commented on for further use.

Laylah
May 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Oils seal in moisture (water) in your hair. Some sit on top and some soak in, but both work well. Either way, does it really matter what they do, as long as they make your hair look and feel great? :)

DTsgirl
May 1st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Oils don't moisturize, but they do lock in moisture. It's the same as putting pil on your skin after bathing. The oil itself is not actually increasing the moisture content of your skin, but is providing a lipid barrier that keeps the moisture from evaporating. Same with hair; the oil creates a barrier that water can't permeate, so it holds water in the hair shaft longer. So, no, technically oil is not moisturizing, BUT, using oil can increase the moisture content of your hair.

luxepiggy
May 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
The only thing that moisturizes is water. Oils can affect water loss / uptake & equilibrium moisture content at a given RH. Certain penetrating oils can also increase hair plasticity, making hair feel softer.

gogirlanime
May 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
CavyQueen answered this question (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=717482&postcount=154) pretty awesomely listing oils that do penetrate the hair shaft, and those that only coat it. Here is the original post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=717482) that she commented on for further use.

That was an excellent post and very informative thank you for letting us know about her post!

spookyghost
May 2nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have a question that Im hoping someone can answer so I dont have to post a new thread:)

I was on a thread yesterday, I cant find it, and there was an article someone posted a couple years ago. It said that the key is to lock in moisture within the strands with your oil. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strands and leave your hair dry.
What does this mean? I put my hair oil on dry hair. I dont S&C first because I oil at night and leave it in. I dont want to S&C before I oil and then S&C again the next day. I would be washing my hair every day then instead of every other day. But if I am understanding that article is sounds like I should be moisturizing my hair before I oil which would be S&C right?

I just want to make sure I am oiling correctly so I can get my hair nice and healthy-and keep it that way!;) My hair needs moisture and I love oiling. I'd hate to be doing it wrong all the time!

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
In the cosmetic field, when you talk about "moisture," it can mean either oil or water or both. You can't moisturize your lips by continually licking them or splashing water on them; you need something emollient.

I'll occasionally dab coconut oil on dry lips; it works.

Siiri
May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have a question that Im hoping someone can answer so I dont have to post a new thread:)

I was on a thread yesterday, I cant find it, and there was an article someone posted a couple years ago. It said that the key is to lock in moisture within the strands with your oil. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strands and leave your hair dry.
What does this mean? I put my hair oil on dry hair. I dont S&C first because I oil at night and leave it in. I dont want to S&C before I oil and then S&C again the next day. I would be washing my hair every day then instead of every other day. But if I am understanding that article is sounds like I should be moisturizing my hair before I oil which would be S&C right?

I just want to make sure I am oiling correctly so I can get my hair nice and healthy-and keep it that way!;) My hair needs moisture and I love oiling. I'd hate to be doing it wrong all the time!

You don't need to wash your hair, you could try dampening your hair with some water in a mister bottle and then apply the oil on damp hair.

eta: If I understand you correctly, you pre-oil the nigth before you wash your hair? In that case the oil is supposed to protect the hair from the shampoo, so it doesn't moisturize the same way as a leave-in oil would.

Bedhead
May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
"Moisturizer" means "a substance that holds moisture". Oils are moisturizers, so if your hair is dry, as in you have really dry ends, as in dried-out-like, moisture by the means of water must be added to the hair beforehand. If, as in your case spookyghost, your hair has a healthy amount of moisture in it already, but your hair is not wet, you can get away with putting oil on your dry hair; the oil will then hold the moisture that is there. As someone who doesn't wash her hair with water, I had to learn the difference. Now, if need be I mist before adding oil to my ends.

Most people think a moisturizer and a hydrator are one and the same, but that's because they usually go hand in hand i.e. most creamy conditioners or lotions have both moisture and a moisturizer in the ingredients.

This has all been discussed in the mineral oil thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298... It was my exchange with Ktani that made me understand all this.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
As I understand it, the primary function of applying oil to hair is to replace lost essential fatty acids, which are part of the natural molecular structure of hair. The further the ends get from the scalp, the more EFAs they lose, and penetrating oils replace them.

earthnut
May 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Oils are moisturizers. There are 4 types of moisturizers: Occlusives, Humectants, Emollients, and Proteins. Read more here. (http://www.makingcosmetics.com/articles/13-humectants-moisturizing-agents-in-cosmetics.pdf)

Occlusives physically block water loss, and include petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil, silicones, and some non-penetrating oils.

Humectants attract water to the hair and include glycerin, propylene glycol, sorbitol, honey, syrup, aloe vera gel.

Emollients smooth the surface by filling spaces with droplets of oil and include most plant oils and butters. Some penetrate the hair shaft more than others. I made a list here of the constituent fatty acids of different oils. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2094528&postcount=117)

Proteins replenish protein and include collagen, keratin, elastin, and protein.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you for that excellent and informative post, earthnut.

leilasahhar
May 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cetrimonium Bromide Ive researched is the only particle that will fill in the core of the hair cuticle shaft. Paul Mitchell, The conditioner is the only conditioner I've found with cetrimonium bromide in it. It does make my hair feel strong and healthy but I still need moisture on with it.

CocoBean
May 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I just ordered a bottle of Kukui oil, since it seems to be one of the best that was in that article from CavyQueen. Need a good 'moisturing' oil for my dry hair. Thank you for this thread!!:)

CurlySasha
May 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. Just to clear things up, dampening my hair and then applying coconut oil DOES moisturize my hair, right?

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Right.
So does coconut oil on dry hair.

spookyghost
May 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you so much. I think I got it! All of you are so hair smart;)

longhairedleah
May 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
this thread has clarified a lot of my confusions/uncertainties!! Thanks OP for asking!! And all the great answers :)