PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a mullet... can anyone relate??

Doxieee
May 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
So, around Halloween I posted a thread about my hair upset & how I chopped my hair off (to about the bottom of my neck), well a few months ago, I thought id get a lot of short choppy layers (practically a mullet) now I hate it & am doing my best to grow it out, unfortunately the bottom layer is soo thin from the top choppy layers.. Ive been keeping my hair up so I dont have to see it lol I work for a veterinary surgical group so I wear a scrub cap all day (thankfully no one has to see it! lol)

MagicalMystery
May 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Yep. Last year, after horrible reactions to bleach, I had to chop my shortest layers to no more than 2 inches on top. It was definitely a mullet. Thankfully my 70s wardrobe suited it... but it was a pain to grow out the layers.

krisbb
May 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Yep over 20 something years ago I had a mullet except on girls it was called a bi-level I was 17 had it about a month and hated, hated it, I had great hair before that cut, all I kept hearing was how "beautiful your hair used to be" I took the scissors to it myself then in a panic went to a salon where i got it cut into a pixie.

nerdymomma
May 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM
UGH! btdt! I had several haircuts that, as they grew out, went through an awkward mullet stage. I would clip the length in the back to my head and twirl my top hairs into two little buns, to give it a funkier, punkier look.

TazM
May 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
After I shaved all my hair off due to hair dye abuse, it grew back as a mullet so I just wore a lot of fabric headbands during that phase, then you couldn't really see the shortness on top, it just looked like a short layered cut which was better, and that might be a problem if you decide the cut off the ends and have a pixie, you'd have to keep cutting the ends until the top catches up or you'll be back in Mulletville before you know it :)

hellucy
May 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
BTDT multiple times unintentionally & on purpose:joy:!
When it was at the awkward in between growing stage :wail: I hated it so much I kept trimming it at the back (:scissors: every 3 or 4 weeks-ish) so it turned to an inverted bob type style pretty quickly.
I think if a mullet is intentional, wanted & you have the confidence to rock the look then fine but if not then it is one of the worst styles ever!!!

Louise148
May 2nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I certainly can as I am more or less there now. I'm growing out a pixie and it's just got to quite a mullety stage. Off to the salon on friday to have the neckline sorted out until the rest catches up. :(

Louise x

Jing
May 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
I just started trimming my back layers when my pixie started to mullet. There are things I will not go through for long hair. :p

BeckyAH
May 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
I just started trimming my back layers when my pixie started to mullet. There are things I will not go through for long hair. :p

And on the bright side? You're not going to have to grow those layers out, later.

Carissamarie08
May 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
I had a millet when I was 4 haha

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
gosh it sucks so much! my hair is so thin/fine as is & so my bottom layer (with length) is so wispy and see through practically because majority of my hair is to the bottom of ears, Im gonna go as long as I can before trimming it to begin evening it up. Doing what I can to prevent further damage & split ends.. I just pray that I can keep looking forward towards the end goal & not do another fatal hair chop! Luckily my bf liked me hair better when it was longer (not close to where I'd like it, but longer than it is now) he absolutely will not let me cut my hair again lol (only maintenance trims of course :)

spookyghost
May 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I had a longer version of the mullet after I asked my hairdresser to give me some soft and wispy fringe at the bottom of my length and she put my hair in a ponytail and as I bent over she cut it!:eek: My hair was past my shoulders and my bangs were a little longer than my chin. After her chop I had some weird short a## layer between my nose and the part of my hair. And I still had a little length so it looked like a mullet. I thought I looked like Joe Dirt! It was actually my worst hair experience ever and I never went back to her. She was my hairdresser for 18 years till that day!

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
@spookyghost - that's so scary! I have an overwhelming fear of salons/hairdressers.. my mom was an apprentice so she is the only person who touches my hair, luckily her friend & was also her mentor when apprenticing, is the only women that is allowed to touch my moms hair, so I have often considered going to her for hair needs

BeckyAH
May 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
The only way I ver grew out a mullet was keeping the back at the nape of my neck until the bulk of my hair caught up. I like layers, but that 'tail' just served no purpose for me. Couldn't put it up, made my hair look thin, and made me feel ridiculous. So it went-along with any other length there until I as mostly blu t and growing out meant a blunter style

Floryda
May 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Definitely been there while growing out a pixie--hang in there :)

Louise148
May 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
I have thin/fine hair too Doxieee so I know exactly what you are going through. I have grown mine out and then grown it back again a few times now but even though I know what to expect it still feels like such an arduous journey.

While I have always trimmed to keep the mullet at bay it's the mushroom head that always looms and by the looks of my hair at the mo bowl cut city is the next stop. Oh well...onwards and upwards.

Jing
May 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
And on the bright side? You're not going to have to grow those layers out, later.

At least not all of them. :p I stopped trimming when my bangs got long enough to as it were blend into the rest of my hair, so they're just past chin length now while the hair at the very back (where there are no layers anymore) are a few inches past shoulder length. I don't think I'll like the U hemline much, so I'll still have to maintain somewhere while I wait for sides and bangs to catch up properly.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
At least not all of them. :p I stopped trimming when my bangs got long enough to as it were blend into the rest of my hair, so they're just past chin length now while the hair at the very back (where there are no layers anymore) are a few inches past shoulder length. I don't think I'll like the U hemline much, so I'll still have to maintain somewhere while I wait for sides and bangs to catch up properly.

I am RIDICULOUS. I grew out all of my layers (kept bangs), at 'barely nape of my neck/jaw length'. Then I got a couple of inches from waist and cut more layers IN. I'm really, really good at fickle?

Jing
May 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
I am RIDICULOUS. I grew out all of my layers (kept bangs), at 'barely nape of my neck/jaw length'. Then I got a couple of inches from waist and cut more layers IN. I'm really, really good at fickle?

Hey, whatever makes you happy at the time. ;)

spookyghost
May 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
@spookyghost - that's so scary! I have an overwhelming fear of salons/hairdressers.. my mom was an apprentice so she is the only person who touches my hair, luckily her friend & was also her mentor when apprenticing, is the only women that is allowed to touch my moms hair, so I have often considered going to her for hair needs

Yeah it was pretty bad. That hair dresser had a mental hold on me. Its weird I know. Even though she did things to my hair without asking me first, never listened to me, and talked so much I swear she couldnt have been paying attention to what she was dong, she had me believing that no one else can do hair better than her. I must have been brain washed to stay with her for 18 years! My mom still goes to her and never likes her hair:( But she wont leave her. After she did that cut I saw the light!:lol: I did call her and tell her that I was very upset and cant understand why she did what she did. I told her I would not be coming back and she tried to talk me out of it and said she would fix it. I said, "How, by cutting it more?" I was trying to get my hair to waist for a very long time and she just threw away years of hard work. So I stayed with the mullet until it grew out. It was not easy!