PDA

View Full Version : Little Women hair

Long_hair_bear
May 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ok so I've just watched little women for the umpteenth time and I cry every time Beth dies. I cried through the book too.

However, the other part that makes me cry and cringe is when Jo sells her beautiful hair! She did it for money for her father I know, and I would do the exact same thing in her position. I would happy sell my hair to help bring my father home.

What do you guys think? Would you have that kind of courage to sell your hair? It would be very hard for me, but I'd do it In a heartbeat to help save my dad.

Sunny_Waits
May 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
There would have to be a very good reason. A very, VERY good reason! It's not the cutting it part, but specifically SELLING it that would be a challenge.

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't think I could do it I'm devoted to making mine work.

BeckyAH
May 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
In a heartbeat.

It's hair. It grows back.

Hell, even if it didn't - I'd sell a KIDNEY for a good enough reason. The point remains, though: I like my hair, but it isn't anything I couldn't live without or that I'm so emotionally attached to that the loss of would be devastating.

It was at one point in the past. I let it define who I was. That, for me, was extremely uncomfortable. So I chopped it. SHORT. (like 2 inches, at the longest). That for me was good enough reason.

To save someone I loved? I wouldn't think twice.

eezepeeze
May 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
It would be hard, but I could do it to save or help a loved one or to provide for my family. I'd be brave in public, but cry in private, like Jo.

Long_hair_bear
May 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
It would be hard, but I could do it to save or help a loved one or to provide for my family. I'd be brave in public, but cry in private, like Jo.

I would too.... :cry:

nerdymomma
May 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Of course I would! I've chopped my hair for far less noble reasons. At least this time I'd have a warm, fuzzy glow about doing a good deed.

Now, if you want to talk literary hair tragedy, I have always identified more with poor Anne (of Green Gables) when she accidentally dyed her hair green. Poor thing.

cwarren
May 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'd sell my hair to help a family member or a friend if necessary. I would try to think of other solutions (my hair grows soooo slow), but if it was the only way to help, I wouldn't have any regrets.

sarahbrownie
May 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm with BeckyAH. It was wartime. Her father was wounded. She did it for her mother. I don't know if it's historical correct, but selling hair was something you could do back then. It's a reason we have pawn shops now.

Phexlyn
May 2nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
There would have to be a very good reason. A very, VERY good reason! It's not the cutting it part, but specifically SELLING it that would be a challenge.
I don't think I'd get much money out of my hair (too thin, not virgin, and very fine), but that aside, yes, I'd cut it and sell it if it would really help someone I loved. But I'd probably cry in front of my loved ones anyway.

[I also really love the scene where Jo put her hair up with a dozen pins sticking out. I can so relate to that! ;D]

Mrs.Witherup
May 2nd, 2012, 01:16 AM
My hair is so long now, maybe I wouldn't have to cut it very short, lol! But to save the hubs or kiddos yes I would! :)