PDA

View Full Version : I want to mark "terminal" off my list

spidermom
May 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
Today I'm longing for easy and breezy, quick to wash, comb out, and dry, maybe something like UltraBella's last hair cut.

But darn it, I also want to find out what terminal length is on me. And I like standing out from the average and getting compliments on my extra-long locks.

Some days I want to write "been there, done that" across my terminal length goal and get on with my life!

Anybody else?

Mrs.Witherup
May 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
I wore my hair down yesterday when we went to Walla Walla, I haven't left this town in over two years and I love wearing my hair down. But it was sooooo windy my hair was everywhere! I was longing for something shorter too! But in the end I think the reward of actually finding out what terminal is, is worth the days of longing for something easier to deal with :)

ravenreed
May 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
I just figured out how to get a new 'do to work for me so I am fairly happy with my hair right now. A few weeks ago I was truly wondering why I was putting myself through all the fuss, and pining for the wash and go days of waist length. It comes and goes.

moxamoll
Meh - I'm still waiting for waist, so terminal sounds cool in theory, but I have no idea about practice. What if I'm one of those few who goes 5m? Do I really want that?

But it would be a cool and relatively unique thing to check off the old bucket list. You can always hit terminal, document it well and then cut it shorter again.

I'm not sure if that was helpful or just rambling...

MissHair
I feel exactly this. I want to know that I've done it once in my life time. I want to know I was able to. And I want to be ''special'', yes very much so.

lapushka
May 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
I've been struggling with the urge to have it cut for a while now. It's been dying down some over the last couple of months but was kind of terribly frighting before it died down, so much so that I didn't trust myself with scissors for a while. :p This roughly happens every spring.

And besides, what's easy breezy, anyway? Is it really going to be more comfortable or is it going to be high maintenance instead? It's always nice to envision a hair cut but once it's done the realization hits you that it's not going to be all that you thought it would be.

pepperminttea
May 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Kind of, yes. I both do and don't want to know my terminal length; for fear that it'll be so long that I'll have hair taller than me before I find it, and also for fear that I'll come across it all too soon.

trolleypup
May 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
And...who knows. I was years at "terminal", then it started growing again. So now I have white-out on the cross-out, and I suspect that I'll be putting a check mark by knee very soon (tonight if I can manage a wash and dry cycle!)

CocoBean
May 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Well, I've got a long ways to go before I can say I'm even there - I may not live long enough to ever see terminal :p... but please don't cut your hair, please?

It's beautiful, unique and there are very few ladies our age willing to deal with the hassle...

I know that's why I cut it the last time a few years back, because it was like, what the heck? I wear it up all the time, never down (it's curly, and didn't think it was cool on old ladies like me :0) so I remember I figured, I might as well cut it and have more style options... but I've regretted it ever since, as it would be classic or term by now if I hadn't... just don't want you to see you regret it :-(

Wavelength
May 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Heh, I know exactly what you mean, Spidermom. In my case, it's not so much terminal as classic. I get to about tailbone length and while I can tell it's still growing, it thins out a lot and just looks scraggly. Drives me crazy till I trim it, and then it's "hurry up and wait" all over again. *sigh*

I really hope my terminal length isn't just after tailbone, because I've always wanted classic length -- it would be a major bummer if I can't get there. :(

CherrySilver
May 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Every single time I hit a goal, I always end up revising it and going for longer lengths. I have to admit that there are times that life would be a bit easier without such long tresses.

Been there, done that. I started hacking it back, bit by bit, till I ended up at jaw-length in just a few years. It took ten looong years to grow it out. Chances are I'll just keep growing it till it gets to a point where I can't handle it and find a length I can maintain happily.

But I haven't reached the point where I'd want to chop or do a major cut. Maybe you'd think about just taking off a few inches to make a difference, but that you'd still have the length? You might really miss that hair once it's gone....

Beckstar
May 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM
No terminal but thigh so I can say so and then cut back to hip. :)

auburntressed
May 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Kind of, yes. I both do and don't want to know my terminal length; for fear that it'll be so long that I'll have hair taller than me before I find it, and also for fear that I'll come across it all too soon.
This for me. I'm secretly afraid that I am already at or close to terminal, simply because I've never been able to get my hair longer than it is right now. Then again... I've never gone without another person trimming my hair for longer than six months until now, too. But I want Classic length hair with a full hemline... which means I need a terminal length that is somewhat longer than classic.

Conversely, the idea that my terminal length is longer than floor length is a bit intimidating.

I suppose, if I want to be ideal here, I'd like for my terminal length to be somewhere between knee and ankle. But I don't have even a rough ball park in which to guess, as I have zero long haired relatives for as far back as we have family photos.

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm nowhere near terminal. I'm growing to tailbone only. I understand what its like to need a change something new.

Sunny_Waits
May 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread.
Right now I'm at about the longest I've ever had, which is BSL. I've always gotten frustrated with it and cut it, so first I've got to conquer those smaller goals before I get to determining if I can make it to terminal.
But these posts give me hope that it's possible :)

Carrie Ingalls
May 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
I understand wanting to mark off terminal length. But I'm not sure I'm going to make it, at least not for several more years. I already know that my terminal length is longer than I am tall. Currently my hair is a couple inches longer than my height without drastic taper, so who knows what my term would actually be...clearly longer. Unfortunately, my lifestyle for the next couple years is not one that is conducive to pursuing terminal length.

When I originally joined the boards I thought that terminal was some kind of epitome of hair length goals and that deep down it was everyone's' ultimate goal. But once I was around a little while I realized the beauty in the diversity of hair goals, not just length but condition, feel, thickness, hair styles, and embracing natural texture, etc.

To those that express concern about their terminal length possibly being "too long" or longer than their height, don't worry! It doesn't get that long over night, also you can always choose not to go all the way to terminal and you will have a nice full hemline at what ever length you decide you like best! The key is just to enjoy the journey, where ever you go!

Edit: For now I am totally content with my hair as is, as it will be after an impending "cut" (don't worry it will still be longer than knee length), and growing back out to ankle-to-floor length.

Tisiloves
May 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Scissors take a second, the grow out takes years. I'd invoke the two week rule, and maybe a wig.

PraiseCheeses
May 1st, 2012, 11:16 PM
Oh, Spidermom, please don't cut that hair!! At least not yet. It's so beautiful and so unique!

I've been wondering just how long my hair could possibly get, and there's only one way to find out! I'll probably keep a reasonably blunt hemline, but I'm strongly considering just letting it grow until it doesn't get any longer. :)

Seeshami
May 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Work has been making me a crabby pants jerk face grump head and I was very close to taking it out on the naughty mess. But after breaking some horrible ugly plates and finally sitting down and painting my nails crazy colors I feel much better.

That or the fact I asked for a transfer and the bosses have said "Oh yeah that's awesome want to transfer Saturday?":cheese:

Mrs.Witherup
May 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM

You know I haven't actually considered that my terminal length would be any shorter than knee, my growth has sort of slowed I feel like, but I think it's still going. People who have been at terminal, how did you know that was your terminal length? How many months without growth? Also did your growth slow down before it stopped or was it just a sudden stop??

skaempfer
May 2nd, 2012, 02:17 AM
Today I'm longing for easy and breezy, quick to wash, comb out, and dry, maybe something like UltraBella's last hair cut.

But darn it, I also want to find out what terminal length is on me. And I like standing out from the average and getting compliments on my extra-long locks.

Some days I want to write "been there, done that" across my terminal length goal and get on with my life!

Anybody else?

Is it just today, Spidermom, or have you been feeling like that for a while? I've made the mistake before of having a rotten day (or even a rotten period (weeks? Months?)) when I felt like a needed a change and took it out on my hair, only to realize it was something else I needed to change. Did something happen today? :chocolate: Need some chocolate?

Is it really that hard to wash? My hair has never been longer than about 30", so I really don't know. At the moment (glorified BS) I have the impression it gets easier the longer it gets, but I suppose I may discover a limit to that.

I can't tell you how you feel, all I can say is 1) I've never *not* regretted chopping my hair as a result of the blahs, 2) If you're curious about terminal, chopping it is going to really set you back, and 3) You are not obligated to keep all that hair if you're done with it.

So I'm guessing this helps not at all, but ((hug)).

Charybdis
May 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
I like the idea of growing to terminal in theory, both to satisfy my curiosity and to say that I've done it, but I doubt that I'll manage it in practice. I've had my hair to waist with very little taper before and no real problems with splits or breakage, so I suspect my terminal length is past knee -- and that just sounds like more hair than I can handle. I am thinking about revising my goal length from waist to classic, though.

julliams
May 2nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Oh I so hear you. I've been so close to contacting Ultrabella and asking her how she feels about her new hair because I'm getting so over my hip length hair. And now I made my goal tailbone and right now I'm dreaming about mid-back length with loads of layers.

I was so glad to read your thread because I had been thinking of starting one of my own about the very same thing. Sometimes growing to great lengths takes the fun out of hair and sometimes it's just the best. I'm so confused I'm kind of in limbo with it and I'll decide for my next cut in July.

I actually had my hair cut last week but the hairdresser insisted on only cutting 1cm off so I really didn't lose any length. She did cut in some long FFL at the front but they are so long that I can't take them out of my updos to soften them which was the whole point. I'm left wondering why I had it cut in the first place - the haircut that wasn't as it were.

WaitingSoLong
May 2nd, 2012, 06:18 AM
And besides, what's easy breezy, anyway? Is it really going to be more comfortable or is it going to be high maintenance instead? It's always nice to envision a hair cut but once it's done the realization hits you that it's not going to be all that you thought it would be.

This.

Every single time I hit a goal, I always end up revising it and going for longer lengths.

Been there, done that. I started hacking it back, bit by bit, till I ended up at jaw-length in just a few years. It took ten looong years to grow it out. Chances are I'll just keep growing it till it gets to a point where I can't handle it and find a length I can maintain happily.

I think a lot of us revise our goals once we reach one. I am doing this now. I have hit classic and have no real goal now except to maybe try fingertip in the next year. But then what? The though of terminal has recently crossed my mind and even FTE's. I always think "I wonder what _____ length would be like?" And think, how will I know what length I like best until I try them all? For some reason I think my terminal length would be around calf with FTE's, I could probably maintain knee with a blunt hemline. But I am just guessing.

It's manageability vs. vanity for me. I want to cut back to waist where my hair seemed so much of a breeze to maintain. I have done all the short hairstyles and have those "out of the way".

Yes that desire to be different or unique drives me as well. I fall into the mental competition thing. People around here are growing and growing and while I see very few at Classic or beyond (as yet), hip is now somewhat common here. I need Classic+ hair now to feel beyond average as far as hair goes. Why do I care? I don't know.

I am already known for my hair. If I cut it, my whole world of people will comment, rag me about it and I will get tons of negative attention I don't want. If I ever did cut, I would probably do so in stages, which is what I did back in 1998 the last time I went from long hair (waist+) to a pixie. I also permed it somewhere around BSL. Or maybe I will cut it ALL off, I HAVE always wanted to shave my head. Have you? Once you hit term and shaved bald is the only thing you haven't tried, will you try that, too?

The fear of regret always stays my scissor hands. YET...it WILL grow back. And Spidermom, every time you hit Classic you get the urge to cut. I suspect this is a length that is just past your comfort zone for upkeep. However, I would recommend pushing past it once. Grow to FTL, or even Knee. Sometimes a length is just annoying. TBL is annoying to me. Classic seems easier for some reason. I like it better this time than I did last time when my ends were fried.

I don't believe in the 2 week rule. Mine is SIX MONTHS.

Then again, maybe you DO need to make that cut. Seems like you have wanted to for awhile. Try going back to waist length, maybe? It was so much easier to wear down at waist IMO.

In the end, reaching terminal as a personal goal is just that...personal. No one but you will care if you never make it. If the thought of having to reach terminal at least once makes you feel like a prisoner to your hairstyle...then don't. I would probably stop growing if I ever hit a length I absolutely could not wear down while out. I am not an "always updo" sort.

Try this: imagine that you have to pick one length and have to keep it forever and ever. It will never grow again, it can never be cut again. What length would it be?

You seem to have a fast growth rate. I swear I have seen you cut to hip and get back to classic twice in the last year or so. You hair looks thick and healthy. I bet your term is close to floor. Can you fathom that? Does that even appeal to you?

FYI: I am asking myself all these questions, too.

At the end of the day my motto is: when in doubt, don't.

Teazel
May 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Have you tried scalp-only washes, spidermom? I find they only take 5 minutes (I usually do it over a sink), which is pretty quick and easy. :)

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Teazel, I've experimented with scalp washing but haven't perfected a technique yet. In a way, it doesn't seem worth the hassle because my hair tends to fill with lint and dust and gets tangly. I should probably get a new BBB and try brushing that stuff out rather than washing it out.

In the end, I think I appreciate the compliments and the uniqueness more than I'd appreciate easy. I've had my hair APL and shorter most of my life, so been there done that.

Please I'm REALLY curious. How long will it grow?

WaitingSoLong
May 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Is there not a thead for those trying to grow to terminal length? I know there is a Terminal and Beyond, but what about those who have term as a goal? I searched and couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can find it?

I am not ready to commit to growing to term yet but maybe once I hit knee I will consider it. I came across an old post of mine where my ultimate goal length was Classic. ;)

How about it Spidermom? If a thread cannot be found I say you start one and I may just join you!

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure there is one, but it hasn't surfaced in quite a long time.

XcaliburGirl
May 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty sure there is one, but it hasn't surfaced in quite a long time.
Here it is: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90499

WaitingSoLong
May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Here it is: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90499

Ahh thank you. Funny it was only started back in March. I would have thought there was an OLD one somewhere. I see this particular one stopped suddenly about a month ago.

I know on the other goal threads, you have newcomers and graduates and stuff. I suppose there would not be as much activity on a thread that takes such a long commitment to reach. TBL to Classic is attainable in one year for me. However the Classic to Knee...I imagine it will take a good 3 years to go through that one.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Me too WSL.

I don't think I can go for terminal if it turns out to be longer than somewhere between mid-thigh and knee. But I guess I won't know for sure until I get there.

door72067
May 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Spidermom, I feel ~quite~ odd saying this to a complete stranger on the internet, but I find you Very Inspirational

I love your hair and aspire to having mine be as pretty as yours is once the dye grows out more and I can cut it off and head for virgin waist-length

I haven't any offerings as far as going for terminal, or not, as that has never been a goal of mine, but I can empathize with the wanting to cut out of frustration

my trick for the call of the scissors is buying a hairstyling magazine or two, then taking a picture of my face and putting it with the styles that I think I like

so far, I have yet to see a mid/short hairstyle that I think I would actually like on *me*

it keeps me from cutting (my hair!)

lapushka
May 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Would it be so bad to not go for terminal and maintain a length you're still comfortable at?

GeoJ
May 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
I can relate to wanting to try terminal- that thought has been playing around in my mind.

Anyway, my initial goal of mid-thigh had changed to knee after getting to mid-thigh. Once I got to knee I started to think about mid-calf. I cut back to tailbone due to health-related major shedding, so I have a long way to go now. If I do ever make it back to knee length, I think curiosity will take over and I might try terminal, even if it is a little inconvenient.

luluj
May 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Spidermom, your hair is an inspiration to me, as I'm sure it is to many other members here. :crush:

Have you given any more thought to adding some face framing layers? I know you were toying with the idea a while back. Perhaps you just need to change things up in a small way and blending in some long layers may just be the answer.;) Sometimes the slightest change can make a worldly difference in the way we feel about our hair.

As far as my own growth journey is concerned, I have already made up my mind that waist will be my terminal length, any longer than that and I'm afraid it would be too much, given my petite stature. I also tend to wear my hair down a lot, and at my length now (just past BSL) it is already becoming a force to be reckoned with! :rolleyes:

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
"A force to be reckoned with". I like that. Kind of like a weather system moving in.

jeanniet
May 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
The longer I grow the more I'm tempted to see where terminal is, although at this point I don't see myself going past classic, so if terminal is beyond that, I don't know. I've just never gotten this far before, so it makes me really curious to see just how long I could get. But then once you've gotten there, how do you cut it off? It represents so much time and effort. So I dunno... But I love your hair and think it's so special to see someone of your...ah, mature (:D) years with such lovely, long hair.

swearnsue
May 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
For my own selfish reasons I want you to grow your hair because it is inspiring to have someone my age with long beautiful hair. For the tangles, have you tried the Ktani mineral oil method as described by Madora? You said you might buy a new bbb. You could add more purple or other colors to your hair, ie: anything but cutting. It's up to you but I will cry if you cut your hair, no pressure or guilt though!

jel
May 2nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Also, to be able to "mark off" terminal, you'd have to give it at least a year* at your longest length to make sure. Hair apparently grows ever slower, the closer it is to terminal.

Like many others here, I think your hair is stunningly beautiful, Spidermom, and I'm looking forward to seeing it even longer. However, I do empathise with desiring a more manageable length (hip/BCL in my case). I know I will one day cut back to that length, but for now, I want to keep on growing. At least to fingertip!

*Or even longer, as in Trolleypup's case.

Melisande
May 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
I'll never manage "terminal". I reached tail bone length a year ago and had it cut. Let it grow again until hip, and had it cut today. Not in a spectacular move with much publicity like Ultrabella - but I feel a similar relief.

For me, the main thing is the ability to wear it open. I simply look old and unattractive with most updos, and I don't have enough patience for the beautiful upods others make every day. I simply look boring and frumpy lately.

So today, I went to have it cut spontaneously, and I'm quite content. I'll always love long hair and it's still "long" in the eyes of the world ;-) but it's much shorter than it was, and I can wear it open again.

I don't know whether attaining tailbone again is in the books for me. It was beautiful on pictures and in theory, but I have a "been there, done that" feeling about it.

I have pretty thin hair, and after a certain length, it loses volume. I found nothing that really helped me get a fuller look once I pass waist/hip area.

My hairdresser complimented me on the texture of the ends and also on the herbal color. It was the third time he cut my hair and he did again a very good job.

There is no use in letting hair grow to show it off on the boards when the daily hassle is difficult. It's just not worth it for me. Maybe next round?

For myself, I rather like the idea of cutting back to a strong U BSL length like now in spring, and letting it grow for a year or two, and having it cut again in spring. Some kind of regular cycle...

long&blonde
May 2nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
I felt like I could have written your letter.
Thank goodness for an awesome longhair sighting on my busride home from work.
Not very long by LHC standards;BSL, but the lovely color.
I think this was my first ever seeing a Henna Head in the sun.
Her outfit, her bra strap showing, her build, none of it mattered
That hair: in the sun: the magic glow.
She looked like a goddess.
Totally reminded me why here I am at 57, with low bcl hair;heading for cl.
Those who mentioned "you feel cutting would be destroying something unique and special."
Yep.
But believe me, I'm out here googling "Gypsy Shag" every few days.

allycat
May 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
I've been thinking about this lately too. My hair is touching waist now, and I'm aiming for hip/tb, then maybe more...

Sometimes I see posts on the forum where people talk about not being able to do certain things after a certain length. And of course there will be trade-offs for all lengths.

So I've been thinking about this because I'm really, really enjoying my hair at this length right now. I have this little thing that gives me enormous happiness. Sounds kind of odd perhaps, but one of my favorite things with my hair at waist length is once in a while after I wash it in the morning I might have to go out in the car to do errands, I love to roll the windows down a bit and let the warm spring air blow through it. It's something about the heaviness and the dampness. Or I love to take a walk on a warm windy day. I know it's not the greatest for my hair, but it's still short enough that I can fingercomb and detangle it fairly easily when it's dry. It just feels so amazing to me. There's something very natural and free about feeling my hair blow around like that. It dries wavier in a way I like. I just love it.

But I know that letting the wind blow my hair around like that is going to get harder and harder, maybe impossible to allow, at longer lengths. So what I'm trying to say is I totally understand that feeling of wanting to go longer, for the beauty, uniqueness, etc. but also realizing that in some ways you might have to let go of some of the freedom and lightness (not sure those are the right words) that comes with shorter lengths. I guess all you can do is wait and see. Go for it, but see how you feel.

rapunzelna
May 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I've been at the same length for sometime now..tailbone...as I've been working on thickening up the ends. I'm now quite tempted to go for terminal as this is the longest my hair has ever been. I would love for it to be knee length or longer. I can honestly say I don't have any impulse to cut it...well except for my bangs which I routinely cut and grow out.

WaitingSoLong
May 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
But then once you've gotten there, how do you cut it off? It represents so much time and effort.

This is it exactly. That is why I have never cut back to waist even though, so far, it was my favorite length.

I'm out here googling "Gypsy Shag" every few days.

Listen, I used to have that haircut and I can honestly say it was one of my favorites but I found it too high maintenance for my hair type. I had an old perm in it so it really looked shagged out and I cut it myself one day (circa 1997?). It was one of my in between stages from when I cut from waist it pixie over a year or so. I had another shag cut about 2000 after it had grown out from the pixie (1998). Again, permed. I had no care for hair health back then and it was sort of freeing, I wore horrible barrettes and regularly used heat and spray. BUT, I liked it, just not the time it took to get it to look right.

So I've been thinking about this because I'm really, really enjoying my hair at this length right now. I have this little thing that gives me enormous happiness. Sounds kind of odd perhaps, but one of my favorite things with my hair at waist length is once in a while after I wash it in the morning I might have to go out in the car to do errands, I love to roll the windows down a bit and let the warm spring air blow through it. It's something about the heaviness and the dampness. Or I love to take a walk on a warm windy day. I know it's not the greatest for my hair, but it's still short enough that I can fingercomb and detangle it fairly easily when it's dry. It just feels so amazing to me. There's something very natural and free about feeling my hair blow around like that. It dries wavier in a way I like. I just love it.

But I know that letting the wind blow my hair around like that is going to get harder and harder, maybe impossible to allow, at longer lengths. So what I'm trying to say is I totally understand that feeling of wanting to go longer, for the beauty, uniqueness, etc. but also realizing that in some ways you might have to let go of some of the freedom and lightness (not sure those are the right words) that comes with shorter lengths. I guess all you can do is wait and see. Go for it, but see how you feel.

You are making me miss my waist length hair! It was definitely my favorite length. I have threatened to cut back to waist several times but cannot let go on my "time and effort" plus the whole uniqueness thing. But wearing down on windy day cannot be done at my length :(

trolleypup
May 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
But wearing down on windy day cannot be done at my length :(Oh, it can, you just have to be willing to pay the price for the pleasure of having your hair blowing in the breeze or wind.

spidermom
May 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
I left my hair down and took the dogs for a walk on a breezy morning last week (or was it the week before?). I enjoyed it so much, but I definitely paid for it in tangles and knots.

I guess I'll just daydream about short easy cuts and let my hair grow. I know I'd really miss the length of it. It makes me so different from the other 50-plus women I see. I like different.

Medievalmaniac
May 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
I miss my tailbone-length hair and hope to arrive at fingertip sometime. I can tell you for a fact that my super-short newly-curly hair right now is a PITA and I cannot do ANYTHING with it because I don't use product. It's just growing wild, and impossible to flatten out or style at this stage without heat and product. Seriously - hats. I am glad I have hats from my chemo days, because I wear them more often than I want to.

I wish I had your problem. Grass is always greener, no? :flower:

BlazingHeart
May 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
I've been feeling the same sort of thing lately. My goal the last time I thought about a goal was terminal - I've got that same curiosity to see just how far it will grow. I'm at a bit shorter than you (my longest ends are less than an inch from BCL), but it's becoming really hard to manage. I don't have much taper, so I know my terminal is likely to be very long indeed.

Thing is, I've got a very heat-sensitive health issue. I have a heart problem, and when I overheat, I feel horrible, sometimes collapse, sometimes faint. I've got joint problems that make doing more complicated 'dos really difficult to impossible - even a sectioned bun is hard. I've got head, neck, and back issues (and a tender scalp) that make non-sectioned buns very uncomfortable after about an hour or two. I kinda feel damned if I do, damned if I don't with my long hair. I have trouble washing it, between the time I have to have my hands up in my hair and the weight of the wet hair.

On the other hand, if I go to the pageboy cut that I've cut in several times over the last decade, it's very fast to wash, easy to style, and I get complements about it looking cute. I like the way it looks. *sigh* But it's taken me a couple of years to get from that short to the length it is now, and I want to know just how long it'll go, you know?

In-between lengths don't really work for me, as my hair is so thick that it needs to be past waist before I can do even a cinnabun. At just shy of BCL, I can just BARELY do a pencil bun. It'll be more stable when I have another inch or two of growth. Maybe that'll make a difference; the pencil bun does so far seem to be much more comfortable for me.

Ah well. I'll have to decide sooner or later. I'm just not thrilled with any of the options, you know?

~Blaze

Babyfine
May 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
There's a huge part of me that's always wanted to see exactly how long my hair will grow. I would love to know what terminal is for me.
However, I don't know if I'll ever get there, as I'm always trimming back as my ends really seem to become see-through past BSL.
My goal right now is waist if I can maintain somewhat of a full hemline.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
My hair is at hip. I hope it gets longer. I would like to be able to sit on it. Time and patience
will tell. I am over fifty to. I do not see anybody that age with real long hair where I live.

Mrs.Witherup
May 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I never considered that I could already be at terminal before I saw this thread, I just always assumed it was knee or longer! Also I took my first measurement last month, like April 21st or 22nd, lol I measured again last night. I'm hiding the tape measure for a couple of months! :p

hypersensitive
May 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I want to mark 'terminal' off my bucket list too! What I love about this community is that it gives us the resources to be able to do that, if we so choose. For now, I reassess the terminal goal every time I hit a major milestone. If I like where it is and don't mind going more, then I'll let it keep growing. So far, so good!