PDA

View Full Version : To protein or not to protein?? Save my pennies before I go on a credit card spree!!!!

oddelabop
May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Right guys, excuse me if a thread like this has been posted before - I had a quick gander upon the search engine before but nothing seemed to show itself so here goes...

I was totes considering getting some form of protein treatment and being as creative as I am typed 'protein treatment' on google. The brand kerastase came up with all these wonderful lotions and potions that seem to have unlimited benefits for ones mane. I have heard of this brand before but dismissed it as being too expensive and chemical ridden - so opted for morrocan hair oil instead - LOVE THAT STUFF.... anyways oilgasm over....

But as the weeks go buy...no months... and i become more and more anal about my hair I have tried finding more and more things to use for my hair. One thing I find that crops up quite a bit is protein treatments. Can anyone share their experiences with me? Has anyone used kerastase before? Is it worth it? Because i've read normal protein like egg doesn't penetrate the hair shaft- If so what does??!

*takes breath* oh yeah!! And if anyone has ever had a brazilian blowout would love to hear some more about it. I have straight hair anyway it'd just be for the sheer soakage in keratin. Or is this treatment just a sheer hair nightmare??

Anyway sorry for all the rambling rubbish there :cheese:

would really appreciate any information you fabulous people could offer me :eyebrows: (before I go on a pointless spending spree)
Thanks in advance!

ravenreed
May 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
My understanding is that there may be health hazards from the Brazillian Blowout style hair treatments because of formaldehyde. My hair hates any and all forms of protein which is so weird because I bleached and colored it for years. I don't have much to add other than be careful of protein overload. It can become too much of a good thing.

swearnsue
May 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM
When my hair needs protein I use Mane N Tail conditioner. It's only a few dollars and works great.

sarahbrownie
May 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
My understanding is that there may be health hazards from the Brazillian Blowout style hair treatments because of formaldehyde. My hair hates any and all forms of protein which is so weird because I bleached and colored it for years. I don't have much to add other than be careful of protein overload. It can become too much of a good thing.

There is the Brazillian Blowout and then there is Keratin Treatments, which may have low chemicals to no formaldehyde. Hair is made up from Keratin, which is a protein. Like any treatment make sure you research and look up the salon through Yelp. I'm planning on getting a keratin treatment in a week, so hopefully I can have some results for you.

Be sure that you need protein than moisture, or disaster can occur. You can find out what you need by doing the following in this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44).

People live by coconut oil when it comes to protein needs, which is cheap and located in any health food store or organic cooking aisle at the supermarket.

afu
May 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM

My hair is the same, bleach and heat damaged for years but hates protein. I very rarely get too much moisture, but with protein it can literally just be a quick condition with a keratin containing conditioner that i don't even leave to sit and my hair comes out like straw.

Maybe you could try out a cheaper brand which contains protein first just to see how your hair reacts? some tresemme products have keratin in them so might be a start?

how does your hair feel after shampooing? if it feels kind of stretchy protein is likely to do it good, if it feels brittle or dry you are best to go for moisture treatments

Miss Catrina
May 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
There's probably something in your kitchen right now that would work as a protein treatment (mayo, soy sauce)... Maybe try something like that first to see if your hair responds well to protein? I've heard that soy sauce DOES penetrate the hair.

sarahramen
May 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM
There is the Brazillian Blowout and then there is Keratin Treatments, which may have low chemicals to no formaldehyde. Hair is made up from Keratin, which is a protein. Like any treatment make sure you research and look up the salon through Yelp. I'm planning on getting a keratin treatment in a week, so hopefully I can have some results for you.

Be sure that you need protein than moisture, or disaster can occur. You can find out what you need by doing the following in this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44).

People live by coconut oil when it comes to protein needs, which is cheap and located in any health food store or organic cooking aisle at the supermarket.

Hi completely unrelated but is your avatar Catelyn Stark?
For a quick protein treatment I use say sauce or braggs liquid aminos. If you get a low sodium soy sauce it is basically just hydrogenated soy protein. I heard this made the protein molecules small enough to penetrate your hair, I also put a bit of the amino acids just on a whim (don't conditions always brag about containing amino acids... or was that skin care products?) It's cheap and my hair definitely does feel stronger after I do a treatment.
opps should have read the whole thread!

spookyghost
May 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM

I hope this isnt a stupid question but when you said people live by coconut oil for their protein needs does that mean coconut oil is a protein? Im only asking because I dont think my hair likes coconut oil and maybe its because of the protein. I did a hair strand test and my hair snapped. It didnt recoil back fast or slow it just snapped. Which means my hair needs moisture. So far my hair looks kinda crappy after I use coconut oil. Im trying it one more time tonight and if I dont like my hair tomarrow I guess I just wont use it anymore. Well, I'll use it on my eyelashes, in the bath, etc. Just not on my hair!;) Right now I have black castor oil on my roots and the coconut oil on my length and ends. I know theres alot of oils out there, I also use argon oil, I just wanted my hair to like coconut oil for some reason!:lol:

HintOfMint
May 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
Coconut oil is not a protein, it is an oil. Some say that it prevents protein loss from hair, which is about as protein related as it gets.

Mane 'n tail is very protein heavy and would work great as a protein treatment and you don't risk smelling like a salad for weeks (re eggs and mayo) ;)

sarahbrownie
May 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hi completely unrelated but is your avatar Catelyn Stark?

Yes, indeed it is. :D

Coconut oil is not a protein, it is an oil. Some say that it prevents protein loss from hair, which is about as protein related as it gets.

Mane 'n tail is very protein heavy and would work great as a protein treatment and you don't risk smelling like a salad for weeks (re eggs and mayo)

Thanks for the correction. ;) I just stay away from it because my hair treats it like a protein, gets all dry and brittle. I have to agree on Mane n' Tail, but it does create some build up after a while.

Why not try out the Placenta (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Placenta-hair-treatment/HASK2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) mask, they're only a few cents and they're classics for a reason. Sally also has a few other sample packet hair products you can try without making a big $$$ commitment.

oddelabop
May 2nd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Ohh thanks guys all these suggestions sounds good - Although i'll have to find a good treatment from the UK... theres so much i never knew about hair that I am learning from being in this community!

"how does your hair feel after shampooing? if it feels kind of stretchy protein is likely to do it good, if it feels brittle or dry you are best to go for moisture treatments"

Id probably say my hair feels quite stretchy sometimes too stretchy so i may give something protenatious a go - See what happens...saying that I dont want to dry it out completley!

but thanks for all the suggestions!

afu
May 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
the key is in the balance, if you use protein and you hair turns out feeling brittle, just pile on the moisture treatment next time to balance it out. I more often get too little moisture in comparison to protein rather than the other way around, but once you learn to spot what your hair is demanding at the time you can tailor your regime around it. It isn't usually a case of never ever use protein, or never need moisture - most peoples hair has different demands thoughout time

afu
May 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
p.s. i'm in the Uk too. when i need protein i use the Henara intensive treatment wax which has hydrolyzed wheat protein in it - you can buy it from discount shops such as savers or online. tresseme also do a line which contains keratin