PDA

View Full Version : I have a new favorite updo

Tabihito
May 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/meisrunner/IMG_04781.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/meisrunner/IMG_04841.jpg

I was messing around with a rope braid earlier and then, inspired by the "Katniss" braid, attempted to do a diagonal Dutch rope braid (really not sure if this has some other name). It worked, but I didn't like the rope braid hanging over my shoulder, so I turned it into a bun.

I love how feminine it ends up looking though, and it gets all of my hair up and completely out of the way without looking like a mess. I think it would have been better still if my hair were long enough for a rose bun but unfortunately, it is not. Though I'm not sure, by the time I can do a rose bun, it may be that the bun is too large to be placed off to the side like that.

Sorry the photo quality sucks, I don't have a camera and the lighting here is far from ideal (and it's overcast outside, so no help there).

Tisiloves
May 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Awesome! Is it lace (only added one side) or french (both sides)?

Tabihito
May 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
French. I've never had much luck with lace braids staying even.

Tisiloves
May 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
French. I've never had much luck with lace braids staying even.

Wow! The top's so even I could never get that on a diagonal French.

Tabihito
May 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM
The evenness might have to do with my hair being so ridiculously fine. I dunno, my braids have pretty much always come out that way, with it being difficult to see where I've added hair. Though I don't do French braids often, because with my hair being so dark, you can't really tell they're there, and the sections are pretty pathetically tiny.

kidari
May 2nd, 2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks for sharing this! I love the Katniss braid but making a french sideways dutch braid is so difficult for me to do. I will try this technique this week. In your picture your hair doesn't look fine, it looks pretty thick.

Phexlyn
May 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Very pretty! I love side buns, too, you should enjoy them while they are small... they're much easier to pin when your hair is not too long ;D

fridgee
May 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
So pretty :flower:

hellucy
May 2nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
Ohhh I like it! It looks really pretty.

BrightEyes
May 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
So pretty! I really like it:)

Bedhead
May 2nd, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'll definitely be trying this, Thanks!

Tabihito
May 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks for sharing this! I love the Katniss braid but making a french sideways dutch braid is so difficult for me to do. I will try this technique this week. In your picture your hair doesn't look fine, it looks pretty thick.

It took me about a week and a half trying a couple times a day (to reduce frustration and thus, breakage) to finally get the diagonal braid down, and I can only do it in one direction, but I did eventually get it. It took a while after that to get it to actually look presentable, of course... And I still can't do it with a regular French braid, though that's perfectly all right with me. It's a lot of muscle memory though, just making your fingers learn what the heck they're supposed to be doing braiding backwards, or at least it was for me; I learned to braid over, not under.

My hair's really not too thick though, I think my ponytail circumference is almost exactly two inches. Maybe slightly more, I'll be able to get a final measurement in a couple months when the last of my bangs finally fits in a ponytail. They just about touch now, but won't get inside the elastic. However, it is very fine, which I think is part of it. I do have a lot of hair, but the individual strands are so fine, it doesn't look like as much hair as it could. Though the only hair I've touched for comparison is my mom and my sister, and my sister's seems fairly medium while my mom's is quite coarse. Hard to be 100% certain though, since my sister's is chlorine-damaged and my mom's is pretty heavily chemically processed.

Sisgoldenhair65
May 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
It's gorgeous!! A must try!

PixxieStix
May 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ooooo, very pretty! I'll be keeping this in mind for when my hair is long enough to do stuff like this, because yours looks awesome!

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Its really pretty. It looks great.

MissCoco
May 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
It's so feminine and lovely, I understand why it became your favorite updo! :)

Neecola
May 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
How elegant! Thanks for sharing