PDA

View Full Version : Curlies - Does anyone not use gel?

RedButterfly
March 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Now that my baby fine color-treated 3a/b hair is waist length, I'm finding that it doesn't like gel that much. Also my main holy grail gel - Dep 8 - has been discontinued. Usually, I get frizz and lackluster hair without some gel.
I have started experimenting with using only leave-in conditioner and no gel this past week. I find that Giovanni Direct and BWC leave-ins with jojoba oil are giving me some curl definition, softness, and shine. My ends feel a little fuzzy without gel. My hair feels a little stronger with the gel. I think gel provides a barrier against the elements also (sunscreen).

Is it possible to get healthy, shiny, defined curls without gel? If so, what products are you using in place of gel?

Thanks.

Presto
March 8th, 2008, 12:20 AM
:eek: Waist length! Someday I'll be there!
I don't use any product. :confused: Not much help I guess. Air drying worked best for me, adding a little wet-finger-combing if I got too poofy throughout the day.
I have been having a bad time with poofies for a while. I joined right before LHC crashed, had maybe a month to learn from you all on here. I did take up mostly CO, but wound up shampooing about once a week due to stringy/greasy roots. Lately I've been shampooing about twice a week, and the result of more conditioner building up on my hair looks awesome! I have the defined curls I always wanted. Day two and three after shampooing, using just conditioner every morning and air drying on the way into and at work has given me my dream hair.
YMMV, but that's what I do, and I'm almost positive I'll need to do something different/more/else by the time I reach waist-length. *sigh of wistful envy*
I'm using a Costco conditioner, it is a Kirkland brand with jojoba and other good stuff, why I bought it. It was a lot thicker than I expected.
I think I'm in the 3a/b range with i/ii fine hair, but lots of it.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I've actually completely dropped every product I used pre-LHC. Every. Single. One. Shampoo, conditioner, leave-ins, creams, gels, curling creams, straightening creams, serums, mousses, EVERYTHING.

I'm still tweaking my methods, but currently I wash my scalp with a Neem and Tea Tree 'poo bar from Chagrin Valley, add a bit of lather from my marshmallow and babassou (sp?) bar which I allow to run down the length. Then I make with the super-diluted ACV rinse. Then condition. Conditioning's the fun part lately as I'm trying to find something that my hair and scalp agree with. Currently using Cure Care from Sally's, but toying with other things like chamomile, fenugreek, coconut milk, yogurt, HALO, etc. Once I'm out of the shower, I comb carefully, add a bit of BWC leave-in, oil of the day (lately it's been mostly coconut or sweet almond oil), and some FOTE aloe vera gel.

My hair is shinier, softer, and more manageable than it ever was on cones, commercial hairgels, or anything else I've tried.

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I have 2c3a hair and I sometimes use no product, sometimes a bit of coconut oil in the length/canopy and mostly mist with water/aloe/EO mixture.

CurlyNinja
March 8th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Sometimes I go almost-product free--just a bit of leave in conditioner. It's nice, feels very natural and relaxed. Good for my "comfort days." I like to use Shea Moisture Shea Butter Leave In for that.

I'm so much more into mousse than gel though in general. My favorites for that are the Sally's Generic Value Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam and the Condition 3-in-1 Max Hold Mousse.

All three of these products are cone-free and have entirely water soluble ingredients.

Lamb
March 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
No product here. Definitely no gel, and my hair is just a bob yet. My hair is far too prone to buildup for gel!

AutumnLeaves
March 8th, 2008, 05:14 AM
No gels or mousses or hairsprays for me either. I simply shampoo and condition on Sundays. I do, however, have a misting bottle of water and EVOO that I use on occasion. I also air dry and then use a large barrel curling iron on my bangs.

On a rare occasion, I will use Frizz-Ease serum on wet hair, but only when I have some (I've not had any in the house for quite a long while).

shrimp
March 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM
No gel here either - or any other products. I just never quite got the hang of using exactly the right amount. I CO, cocnut oil then plop. I'm sure I'd have more defined curls if I used products but for the extra cost and effort of learnign to use them properly I don't think it's worth it for me. My *nearly* classic (when straight) hair is always up so perfect curls aren't an issue.

Meezer
March 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
It's nearly impossible for me to get defined, shiny curls without gel; however, this may really be a plague of the type of curl that I have (which needs a little help in the curl definition department). I think that maybe if I were curlier, I could get away with not using gel.

Every once in a blue moon I will use a bit of Ouidad Deep Treatment post-shower and b/c it contains hydroxyethylcellulose I'm able to get a bit of definition from it. Otherwise, I have to use gel (I prefer liquid-type gels).

CaraLynn
March 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've actually completely dropped every product I used pre-LHC. Every. Single. One. Shampoo, conditioner, leave-ins, creams, gels, curling creams, straightening creams, serums, mousses, EVERYTHING.

My hair is shinier, softer, and more manageable than it ever was on cones, commercial hairgels, or anything else I've tried.

I agree totally! I used to spend forever making my hair Peeerfectly Straight....it's not curly, but the last couple of inches flip up, and now I get a ton more compliments on how pretty and healthy my hair looks! Plus, it feels much better to me.

GlassEyes
March 8th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I used to use gel a LOT, just to tone down my 3c thick hair.

I've stopped using it recently (except for aloe gel when I wear it up) and make due with oils and sometimes a leave in. I still have defined curls that are a lot shinier and real looking than before. And they feel better.

girlcat36
March 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I use a pea-sized drop of AVG, with one drop of glycerin mixed in. I discovered this about a month ago, it works really well for me. Sometimes I add one drop of avocado oil to it.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I use a pea-sized drop of AVG, with one drop of glycerin mixed in. I discovered this about a month ago, it works really well for me. Sometimes I add one drop of avocado oil to it.

Girlcat! Hi! I missed you! Your hair's looking lovely, btw. Every day I'm more tempted to try out this AVG stuff, but it's a bit spendy for my tastes. We'll see.

And to CaraLynn I've never regularly straightened my hair, but did use the straightening balms and creams and whatnot to loosen my curls and weigh my hair down. Still working on a replacement for that concept. ;)

WavyGal
March 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I wish I could go productless, but my curls usually look disastrous if I do. I use gel although I am not happy with it. It seems to have stopped working for me. I wonder if mousse might be any better for my 2c/3a and sometimes 3b curls.

girlcat36
March 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Girlcat! Hi! I missed you! Your hair's looking lovely, btw. Every day I'm more tempted to try out this AVG stuff, but it's a bit spendy for my tastes. We'll see.

Hi Smokie! Thank you for the compliment! I am still struggling with my hair issues. It's great to be back, isn't it? I missed everybody.

rhubarbarin
March 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I've never used gel.. I just leave in (cone and protein free) conditioner. Burt's Bees, usually.

I recently bought some aloe gel, but I only use it to stick down frizz a few days after washing, or to make my up-dos smoother. And always on dry hair.

My curls have been looking better than they ever have since finding LHC.. and I find I can leave-in less and less conditioner as time passes..

tomm
March 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
No product here. ... My hair is far too prone to buildup for gel!
I am another whose hair positively hates any feeling of product build-up.

It's been very blustery today, so my hair is looking particularly windblown. My wife is staring at me and she muttering under her breath "wait until he's asleep and then we'll tame it ..."

I am very worried.

galadriel
March 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I scrunch in a little bit of one conditioner w/ boots curling cream and my hair curls up really well and the ends feel really moist. This is my winter routine but I can't live without angell gel in the summer-the humidity makes my hair frizz w/o it.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM

It's been very blustery today, so my hair is looking particularly windblown. My wife is staring at me and she muttering under her breath "wait until he's asleep and then we'll tame it ..."

I am very worried.

Oh no! Put it up! Put it up put it up! And under a hat or bandana. And sleep with something pointy! Just don't let 'em hurt the pretty curls... Do you need to seek refuge?

Starr
March 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM

I am very worried.

LOL! I'm pretty sure if she tries it, your curls will keep her at bay Tomm!

I don't use gel at all anymore, just a bit of Giovanni direct does wonders, but sometimes if I'm feeling extra adventurous I'll add a little sweet almond oil and shea butter.

harley mama
March 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
As my hair got longer gel weighed the curl down so I had to stop using it. I use a little EO scrunched into my wet hair to help with the frizz. So far, it has been the only thing that I have found to work for me. My hair is dry and it loves the oil.

Curlsgirl
March 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I hate gel. AVG does NOTHING for my curls and other things make my curls feel stiff and "producty". I use BWC leave-in for moisture and AG re:coil (my HG) for curl definition and anti-frizz. It makes it dry a bit stiff but you can scrunch it out totally. It takes some experimenting as to how much you should use. I separate my hair into three sections and scrunch about 1/4 teaspoon into each section. As my hair is almost dry I also scrunch some coconut oil or avocado oil into my hair concentrating on the ends. I get almost no frizz this way and my hair dries soft too.

I am 3a mostly with some 2c and 3b curls and iii hair.

witchhazel
March 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I either go natural and allow to dry from very wet or I use Aveda Be Curly, which is pretty expensive, but I only have to use a tiny bit (pea size) as I have quite thin fine hair. I find it's pretty fool proof for getting curls for me.

cuddledumplin
March 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm a wavy (I'm curly when my hair is above my shoulders though), but I don't use any styling products; I just use a leave-in conditioner. I've just never liked the feel of having styling products in my hair.

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the great responses, Presto, Smokie, Jessie58, Curlyninja, Lamb, Autumnleaves, Shrimp, Meezer, CaraLynn, GlassEyes, Girlcat36, Wavygal, rhubarbarin, tomm, Galadriel, Starr, harley mama, Curlsgirl, witchazel, and cuddledumplin.

Everyone gave me some good suggestions. It was also inspiring to see so many photos of beautiful curls here at LHC!

One of these days, I'll post a photo of my hair too.

My hair may feel extra fragile because it is color-treated. I just want to make sure that a leave-in conditioner will provide enough protection from the elements. I guess I think of the gel as creating a shield between the environment and my hair. Yet a good conditioner should do the same, I suppose.

I also wonder if trimming my damaged ends would make my hair behave better without a stlying product. I find that it is those ends that don't look good when I only use leave-in. Yet gel makes them softer and smoother. Does that make sense?

Crysania
March 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
my favorite product at the moment is the straightening balm ''macadamia'' from the body shop.

I use it just like I would use a gel or cream, it doesnt straighten at all of course, and it makes my hair soft and the waves pretty:D

catfish
March 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM
With gel my waist length hair can be scrunched into pretty 3a curls, without product my hair waves around 2a. I wear alot of braids and buns so the amount of curl doesn't mean much to me, softness and shine are more important. I do find though that oil helps to bring out my curls without crunchiness. :blossom: catfish

AutumnLeaves
March 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Starr, I love your avatar and you have a gorgeous head of hair!

Regina
March 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I haven't used any styling products in my hair for at least couple of years I believe...I always airdry as well. I never use heated tools on my hair either. The last thing I dropped was a leave in conditioning spray.

I use the Chagrin Valley Mud and Clay poo bar and sometimes Nature's Gate Jojoba Conditioner on my ends (no cones in it as far as I can tell). I also will sometimes use a couple of drops of jojoba oil to add shine and a little moisture to my hair, and I like to do evoo treatments before I shower.

I finger comb but I also have great combs by Sierra Legacy and ********.
My hair is super soft, wavy and happy.

rchorr
March 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I use a spray of 1/2 clear aloe gel and 1/2 water. It helps me a lot. And, you don't have to wash it out. If you comb it (or finger comb it ... my hair is curly/wavy so I don't usually comb), it becomes VERY soft, instead of sticky like some gels.

Just my $.02!

RCHORR'

Nicole Marie
March 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I mix coconut oil with Aloe Vera gel and a leave-in condish right after showering - gives gorgeous definition & softness (it's conditioning!) and also provides a looser, softer kind of definition.

Chamomile betty
March 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I can go with or without gel.
However, my waves/curls are looser and not as defined without.

I say just play around and see what you can come up with. Maybe stick in a few sponge rollers or rag rollers near the ends to make sure the curls stay.

I use Queen Helen Sculpting Gel & Glaze no Alcohol.

hth

yzkaloha
March 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have stopped using commercial gels since joining LHC. I am still experimenting, so far i love mixing Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter for my hair. I usually wear my hair in a bun or ponytail, so I use a little Aloe Vera Gel on the edges just to smooth them down. So far I am loving the Shea and Jojoba mix. Although, I am not sure how well my curls would do if I were to wear it out without any AVG. One day, I will be brave enough to let my curls loose:D, then we will see what happens.

Neon Gloss
March 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Gel and mousse make my hair look and feel horrible, like I just loaded it up with grease and then fried it. I think I'm only saying this because my hair is rather short, and I hate putting gel/mousse in my short, curly/wavy/whatever hair--or maybe the oiled-up look just doesn't suit me to the point of where I hate it. Not too sure, really. :P

theanti
September 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
there is a cream product from Beyond the Zone called Noodle Head, doesnt leave hair crunchy or anything, just smooth soft curls! $5.49 I believe at Sally Beauty Supply

bowie
September 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I do use gel at times, sometimes Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream. The gel is helpful for a bit more hold when I want to put my hair up. I use Deva gels only though. Other gels just really dry my hair out for the most part.

GlassEyes
September 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I only use it when I need to put my hair in a ponytail. Layers.

But beyond that, I CO, oil, and go. Simplicity pleases me.

pariate
September 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm another one using Aloe Gel. I used to use the AGO mix (1 tbsp aloe, 0.5 tsp glycerin and a couple of drops of oil) but now I just use the aloe by itself. I think the brand I use is Fruit of the Earth. I tried Holland & Barratt own brand but it left a horrible deposit on my hair :( It would seem that not all aloe gels are created equal...

chamogirl
September 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
aloe vera gel?

ZaBasDa
September 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
If I don't use gel the water in my hair tends to make my hair look less curly and more wavy, plus the curls try to form one giant clump. But I still go product-less about half the time since I usually sleep on my hair and just go in the morning; the curls aren't going to look that great anyway.

darkwaves
September 12th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I rarely use gel, as it now increases my tangles.

Monsterkitti
September 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Ive never got on with gel and Aloe Vera straight on my hair just makes it feel horribly crunchy. I tend to just go without and let my curls do their own thing.