PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime updos for curlies

afu
May 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
My hair is naturally in the low 3s, however i rarely get to wear it like that because of bedtime styles. I only ever normally wash my hair before bed, so that means i get a couple of hours at most with my natural curl before it gets upset by braids etc and i wake up as a high 2.

I generally wear a dutch braid to bed as it seems most secure and prevents tangles, i have occasionally worn a sock bun on the top of my head. These however interupt my curl pattern, and although i do like the S waves braids give me, it would be nice to have my spirals more often.

Can anyone suggest any bedtime styles which will protect my hair from tangles whilst maintaining my natural curl?

NymphSpirit
May 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Um... well... as far as I know there is no bedtime hairstyle that won't affect the natural wave/curl pattern, specially if you go to bed with your hair damp. The only solution would be to wash your hair in the morning.

EDIT; you could also have a spray bottle filled with water and as soon as you get up dampen your hair a bit, it wont take long to dry since you wont be wetting the scalp and your curl pattern could be a bit more similar to the original one. It works for me when I get up with horrible waves.

PinkyCat
May 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Plop it all into a satin bonnet - works quite well actually.

BeckyAH
May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Seconding plopping if that works for you (it doesn't work for me)- and rope braids. I don't know what your length or your natural curl pattern is like but two rope braids give me something pretty danged close to my natural curl pattern. I DO have to wet and scrunch the ends to get them to incorporate them into the rest of the curl, though, and it's not quite exact. But it's much, much better on my hair than 'regular' braid waves.

lapushka
May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Can anyone suggest any bedtime styles which will protect my hair from tangles whilst maintaining my natural curl?

What about ponytailing it on top of your head, like this (start off at 3.20):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKwgPqyakuw

Curly Hermione
May 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM
I also have something like this problem, where I lose my curl definition overnight and end up with a load of fuzz where my ringlets used to be. I usually find that a folded bun helps, and would maybe be worth trying in your situation.:)
I don't know if it has a proper name, but the way I make it is by starting as if I am going to put my hair in a ponytail using a scrunchie (you might want to experiment to see if it works better at the nape, the back of the head, or piled up on the head). Then I fold over the length before I secure it, and tuck the ends of my hair into the loop made by the folded length. I hope that makes sense!
I'm sure others will chime in with better ideas than mine though, I will also be looking at their suggestions!:D :flower:

afu
May 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM
my ponytail hangs down too much for that lapushka but thanks, my hair just doesn't have the volume or curl tightness to stay nicely upwards like thers .

i'll have to give the other suggestions a try :)

kitschy
May 1st, 2012, 11:53 AM
My hair is waist length and I pineapple with my hair in a pony at the top of my head. Even though my hair is too long to properly pineapple, it helps direct it up and over the pillow instead of under my head at night. It really helps me, but I wash in the mornings.

3azza
May 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
i just sleep with loose hair, i have tried braids, buns, plopping, and all seems to disrupt curl pattern. Letting loose seems to preserve it more. I just flip it over the pillow.