PDA

View Full Version : (pic)Fine Edges... how do I fix them??

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Around the front of my hair, my strands are extra fine. They break really easily. This results in my hair being somewhat short in the front, and I would like these front pieces to match the rest of my hair (at least be close anyways). Since I hate these thin front pieces so much, I cut them all off and now have a large amount of fringe. My fringe alone has a 1" or more circumference!! My ponytail at my nape is 4" and I really want to grow this fringe out so it will contribute to my hair's overall thickness (I also really hate my fringe... it never wants to cooperate).

What should I do when growing it back out? Should I use protein or something? I wear my hair up a lot, and I try to be as gentle as possible with the front pieces. I S&D them frequently, and they always have split ends no matter what I do.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/rowley23/IMG_0799-Copy.jpg
I am kissing my husband on the cheek, so it is kind of a funny looking picture when cropped! haha.

Please give me any advice you can!!! Thank you :P

holothuroidea
April 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think they are beautiful and you should just let them do their thing. :D

Of course that's with waves, I can see them being more annoying when your hair is straight.

Maybe cassia would help increase individual hair thickness and strength?

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I think they are beautiful and you should just let them do their thing. :D

Of course that's with waves, I can see them being more annoying when your hair is straight.

Maybe cassia would help increase individual hair thickness and strength?

Thanks for your suggestion holothuroidea :) I know you have fine hair too! Yes that is why I wear my hair with waves most of the time. I don't mind how it looks with waves actually, but I would like my hair to look nice straight. Right now the front pieces just look unhealthy and kind of 'fuzzy', or however you describe fine hair being frizzy. The short pieces also pop out of braids and up-dos pretty much instantly. Honestly it is quite annoying! I have never looked into cassia, because I am afraid of it changing my hair color. It is temporary, right?

CocoBean
April 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestion holothuroidea :) I know you have fine hair too! Yes that is why I wear my hair with waves most of the time. I don't mind how it looks with waves actually, but I would like my hair to look nice straight. Right now the front pieces just look unhealthy and kind of 'fuzzy', or however you describe fine hair being frizzy. The short pieces also pop out of braids and up-dos pretty much instantly. Honestly it is quite annoying! I have never looked into cassia, because I am afraid of it changing my hair color. It is temporary, right?

Your hair has a beachy wave look to it, and I think it's pretty. Maybe try CO for awhile? Are you SLS free? I'm not an expert, but trying to grow out my bangs, so kinda know how you feel. This will be my fourth attempt to grow them out, always end up cutting them when they are in my eyes!

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Your hair has a beachy wave look to it, and I think it's pretty. Maybe try CO for awhile? Are you SLS free? I'm not an expert, but trying to grow out my bangs, so kinda know how you feel. This will be my fourth attempt to grow them out, always end up cutting them when they are in my eyes!

Yeah I got through the annoying poking me in the eye phase about 2 weeks ago! Thank goodness. Now they just look weird, but I am trying to pin them back and deal with them. They were a mistake... but oh well. I wish I had a good straight hair photo to show, but I only have a wavy one. It really doesn't look nice with my hair in its natural state! I guess that photo wasn't a good example... haha!

holothuroidea
April 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I have never used cassia but my understanding is that it is like henna but does not dye the hair. I might be mistaken.

I know what you mean about fuzzy. My hair is so light that hairs that aren't long enough to lie flat just kind of float away and form a fuzz ball halo. Like a dandelion. :D I keep them down with AVG mixed with a small amount of camellia oil. It's a temporary fix, but it works really well for a couple hours.

holothuroidea
April 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I used to pin back my fringe but I noticed that they were breaking off where I put in the bobby pins so that I had to move the pins closer and closer to my part to keep the hairs in. :bigeyes: I had to grow out those broken hairs and I had a cockatoo thing going on right on the front of my head for a long time.

Careful with pins!!

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM
So I have looked everywhere. I can't find a straight hair example... I guess probably because I delete them all! haha. I will look into cassia! I always like the results people post about henna, but I don't want to alter my hair's color. Thank you so much for your input!

NaturalVegan
April 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM
springgrl -

How did you get those adorable waves in your hair? Cause I wanna try whatever technique you used (my hair is fine/thin)! :)

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I used to pin back my fringe but I noticed that they were breaking off where I put in the bobby pins so that I had to move the pins closer and closer to my part to keep the hairs in. :bigeyes: I had to grow out those broken hairs and I had a cockatoo thing going on right on the front of my head for a long time.

Careful with pins!!

Ok will do! I hate bobby pins because they do break my hair. I wish there was a nice alternative. I just started using the pins, so I should be more careful for sure! Now I have to figure out what to do about this ugly fringe.:rolleyes:

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 10:06 PM
springgrl -

How did you get those adorable waves in your hair? Cause I wanna try whatever technique you used (my hair is fine/thin)! :)

I like to use a paranda. I learned how to do this from Habioku: http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/home/do-it-yourself

I feel like the soft yarn helps protect my hair, and when I wear a paranda in an up-do, I don't have to use pins because my hair is not slippery any more! I like using them because it makes waves all the way down to the ends :)

spidermom
May 1st, 2012, 06:57 AM
You could do a lace braid to gently contain them. I did that a lot when I had growing out fringe.

florenonite
May 1st, 2012, 07:10 AM
I like to use a paranda. I learned how to do this from Habioku: http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/home/do-it-yourself

I feel like the soft yarn helps protect my hair, and when I wear a paranda in an up-do, I don't have to use pins because my hair is not slippery any more! I like using them because it makes waves all the way down to the ends :)

Do you just French braid with it?

Fine wisps like that around the face are normal, but you could also be causing breakage in the updos you do. I have wisps that are at about chin-length now; they're the result of breakage from wearing my hair in a high bun for karate, because the bun would bounce and slide down, breaking the hairs at my hairline.

Try to vary what you do with your hair and do secure (but not tight) updos to see if that changes the wisps.

holothuroidea
May 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Ok will do! I hate bobby pins because they do break my hair. I wish there was a nice alternative. I just started using the pins, so I should be more careful for sure! Now I have to figure out what to do about this ugly fringe.:rolleyes:

Have you tried doing a twist around your hairline? Sorry it's kind of hard to explain but you start twisting at your part and add hair all the way down your hair line until you get to your ears. That should at least keep wispies out of your face when you wear an updo.

Or do a little braid with the wisps and some longer hairs and just incorporate the braid into the updo?

summergreen
May 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Your hair is beautiful!! I really like the face framing bits actually. Im definitely getting a paranda if that's what they do to hair - can't believe you're a 1a!!

(sorry I haven't got any actual advice for you!)

Amanah
May 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
your hair is so pretty, I think you may just want to be happy and smile about it :)

swearnsue
May 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
I had super fine hair at my nape and temple/sideburn areas that wouldn't grow and was almost like dead undercoat that dogs get! My solution was to use castor oil (mixed with other oils) as a pre-wash massage oil. I gave special attention to those areas and left the castor oil in for a least an hour. Those hairs have now grown in much thicker, as in each strand is thicker and no longer fragile little fluffy stuff. I can now take the sideburn hair and put it behind my ears and it stays! My nape hair, when longer, will now be able to stay in a ponytail.

islandboo
May 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I am afraid I have those face framing bits and they seem to be genetic - they simply do not grow no matter how much they are babied. I heard someone explain it as because they are on the perimeter between face skin and scalp skin they get conflicting signals about how long to grow and choose a happy medium.