PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of dark ends and brassy color- help?

dainaleeo2
April 30th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone.
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of how to get rid of ends that are slightly darker than root color & mid-shaft color.

I had cut all of my hair off (which had been shoulder length but in serious need of a total makeover), & when I had my stylist 'attempt' to pull my very light blonde color back to something akin to my natural color (dark, ash-neutral blonde) with a semi-permanent dye...it turned out rather gingery. It was much more gold/red than I would have liked.
So, I took to it myself with another semi (Ion from Sally's if anyone is familiar), & the result, as I expected, was veryyyy dark. But, that was back in January. I hadn't touched it since, letting it fade naturally, & it is somewhat back to where it had been prior.

However, when I had attempted to use a drugstore kit to lighten/tone it a bit (medium neutral blonde, Nice 'n Easy), it really worked mostly on the roots & hardly on the ends. The ends are not that much more noticeable, it's not a stark contrast, just...enough for me to be upset. The roots are perhaps a half a shade lighter so overall you couldn't tell.
But! I want it to be uniform :p As much as can be. I want my natural color to grow out since apparently it is impossible to dye back to, but...the brassy, overwhelming amount of gold looks awful against my ashy natural color. For the record, I have skin that does tend to look better with cool hair colors, despite that I think it's more neutral. Gold is just something that looks AWFUL on me.

I have tried the honey lightening 3 times, & though it has worked to lighten a bit, I don't know if it is doing anything with the gold. If anything I'm worried I will pull -more- gold.
Does anyone have any advice? I am getting a trim soon, so I know that will help take care of the ends a bit, but...it won't get rid of the gold overall. I use purple shampoo at times, but that doesn't help. I used the red-gold corrector from Sally's in my conditioner, but that also didn't do much. I am at my wits end :( Darn gold!!

Here are some reference pictures, the best I could find anyway.
What my hair color looks like (though much lighter...but same amount of gold) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/brassyhair.jpg

something that I would like to have, which is more closer to my natural:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/anna-backstage-at-thakoon6a.jpg

( Sorry the pictures are a bit big...I can never get the sizing right when I am shrinking them down in the post XD )

dainaleeo2
April 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Oh, for the record, something somewhat closer to my 'natural' color can be seen in my profile. I just realized that I still have an old picture up, but the color is much more of what I'm looking for than what I have now.

StarryNight
May 1st, 2012, 01:06 AM
Try a toner like Manic Panic Virgin Snow. :) Just be careful how long you leave it on as it can make hair silver or blue looking if it is light enough.

Johanna
May 1st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Hmm, maybe I should do a bit of a manic panic virgin snow rinse on my coppery ends too, they're so coppery against my ashy virgin hair.

StarryNight
May 1st, 2012, 01:37 AM
Let me know how it works out for you if you try it. I've only read about it tried on blond or bleached hair, so I am curious about naturally brunette hair results. :)

dainaleeo2
May 1st, 2012, 04:54 PM
That's a good idea with the Manic Panic. I saw that on another thread, but I think someone said to mix some of the blue (though I don't know -which- blue, as there are...quite a few varieties XD) with either shampoo or conditioner to negate the gold color.
I wouldn't mind doing a toner, since I think that would help. I honestly want it lighter, but after attempting to lighten it & my ends are still darker, I'm hesitant to do it again. & I'm not sure if a toner would help that or perhaps make the difference worse? The ends are not entirely noticeably darker than the roots, I can just tell a bit, so it bothers me more so than others haha.

I'm also a naturally medium/dark ash blonde, not a brunette, but I would like to see the result as well since my hair is light brown currently.

dainaleeo2
May 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention this, but I heard that you can mix hydrogen peroxide (the developer kind, perhaps a 20-30 volume?) with shampoo & as you wash or apply just to the ends, it will lighten up your hair a bit.

Does anyone know if this is true, or if it causes damage/adverse effects? It seem as though it would work...but I'm hesitant with chemicals.
I would try diluted lemon juice but eh. Seems too trying.

CajunBaby
May 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM
If u try the toner update us on what happens. My natural color is dark ash blonde and i got so sick of rhe brassyness that i started bleaching it platinum. If theres hope for my natural color i might start growing it out :)

dainaleeo2
May 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I know having a water purifier/shower head that purifies water, that helps a lot with brassiness. I have one, though, & this is due entirely to dye & a history of messing with my color haha.

I think that I may attempt to use Revlon Colorsilk, since it's a more gentle dye with no ammonia, & hopefully that can help at least tone down the brass. I heard that using coconut oil to soak hair in will minimize damage as well, so I'm going to attempt that. I'm getting a trim soon so if I do damage my hair a bit it will be fixed soon :)

I will let you know if anything works out. Crossing my fingers! haha

GoldberryHair
May 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo works wonders for brassiness

leilasahhar
May 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I use half manic panic Midnight Blue with half conditioner..Its gorgeous. I have dark brown hair thats been dyed so the dyed part fades into this red, mud looking brown that I hate. I put Midnight blue in it and it turns it into the prettiest cool brown ever!

Nvorontsova
May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
This thread is wonderful! Im having the same issue here. A couple of years ago (after discovering LHC) I decided to say bye to bleaching and grow out my natural ash blonde colour. As a spur of the moment thing I decided to dye my hair with henna approximately a year into my virgin hair pledge. Being completely cool toned (eyes, skin tone, hair colour) the warm red did not suit me, however I did enjoy it for the time being. Recently I have been really trying to save my natural colour from the henna and have done several Colour Oops treatments, only semi successfully. My hair lightened to a ginger/golden blonde (more towards ginger) from a deeper red shade. I decided that since I wont be able to salvage the natural colour I should at least go to a cool red tone, and am considering dying my hair with beetroot, which should give a purplish stain. They do say that there is a shade of red out there to suit everyone! :) :) I am very interested in this "Midnight Manic Panic" (or is it "After Midnight?" is that the same thing?) because ash would definitely be the best. I think I will do some honey treatments, lemons, and maybe some peroxide to lighten my hair first before the Manic Panic or else my ends (bleached and now ginger/golden) will look rather gray? I think I will try it out and let you ladies know how it goes! Good luck dainaleeo2! :) My natural colour is very similar, and I share your pain of never being able to dye our hair back to our natural!