PDA

View Full Version : Hairs breaking...

Amber_Maiden
April 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have no idea why, but my hair seems to be breaking more often than not. I wear it up most of the time, I use a Tangle Teezer and finger comb. I am gentle. I start at the bottom. I break hairs anyways. It also happens in the shower; I'll be smooshing some conditioner down the length- and I'll hear hair snapping. I have no idea how. Even just touching my hair- it breaks.

I did a protein treatment about two weeks ago. I clarify my hair once a month and about a week ago. I use moisture conditioner. I don't use cones. etc etc etc. I basically follow ALL LHC standard practices in regards to hair care; safe toys, silk sleep cap, satin pillowcases, etc.

Any ideas???

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hello Amber! I might have read about you being pregnant in an old thread -I can't remember- but are you pregnant? Maybe it has to do with a change in hormones?

Amber_Maiden
April 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Hello Amber! I might have read about you being pregnant in an old thread -I can't remember- but are you pregnant? Maybe it has to do with a change in hormones?

Yes, I'm pregnant :) only a few weeks left to go! It could be hormones... Would that make hair weaker??? :confused:

Sundial
April 30th, 2012, 08:26 PM

I have to agree with Springgrl because the pregnancy books that I have read as well as the forums I frequent pointed out that hair, skin and body undergo changes during pregnancy. Supposedly healthy hair will have more luster during this time while dry hair tends to get more dry and may break off. In both cases though, hair volume will increase because hair doesn't shed as much during this period.

In my case, I noticed more hair in the shower and while combing. Initially I thought it was shedding but the books mentioned that broken hairs might seem like shed hairs so that could be the case for me but I'm not entirely sure because I didn't check if the strands had bulbs at the end.

BeckyAH
April 30th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Yes, I'm pregnant :) only a few weeks left to go! It could be hormones... Would that make hair weaker??? :confused:

Remember: When you're pregnant your shedding often slows way down or even halts. That means hair you would be losing is hanging around longer and, yeah, getting more fragile for it.

That's without even touching all the nutrition that's going to your baby, not your hair.

RitaPG
April 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Is that a recent thing or has it always been like that?
I've found that after reaching a solid waist length, the ends tend to be a lot more fragile (especially since I'm still growing out dye damage) and sometimes a knot pulled can snap, even if you barely pulled on it and it didn't hurt you.
Or it could just be a shed strand that got stuck on other hairs and then it pulled out and made a noise.
Do you use elastics? I know that a lot of people are more prone to breakage when wearing ponytails, even metal free ones. The pressure spot caused by having the hairtie at the same spot every day cases a lot of breakage for some people.

If you don't notice a lot of damage and splits, I wouldn't worry about it. It's really hard not to snap a hair once in a while and some people are just prone to breakage. Nothing a small trim or an S&D once in a while can't fix :)

Springgrl
April 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Honestly I am really not sure! I remember reading about pregnancy causing brittle hair, but this is because the hair is producing less oil due to hormones. If you haven't noticed your hair being dry, this might not be the cause. Obviously your hair strands can't change due to hormone levels, but your oil production can.

I think Emi talked about this on her blog: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com. She dealt more with actual hair loss, though.

Beckstar
April 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe pregnancy or not. I've noticed my ends are breaking a little easier..heck, even breaking up higher than usually. Could it be the time of the year?

spidermom
April 30th, 2012, 08:35 PM
You did all that honey lightening, extra washing, and stuff when the dye came out too dark. I'd blame that. Also bad luck.

RitaPG
April 30th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Maybe pregnancy or not. I've noticed my ends are breaking a little easier..heck, even breaking up higher than usually. Could it be the time of the year?

Now that you mention it, that could be a part of it. I find that when humidity levels change (winter starts very dry and then turns humid) and I don't keep up and update my routine, my hair gets all tangley and breaks a lot.

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Too much protein? That could cause it to be brittle and break off.

Sundial
April 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM

I forgot something else the books mentioned. Apparently pregnancy hormones can cause your hair to react differently to products or treatments which used to work for you, ie perms which used to give you gorgeous curls now leave you with frizz. Perhaps your hair developed an aversion to protein or it is now too delicate to handle much Tangle Teezing or there's some part or your routine that it can no longer tolerate.

manderly
April 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM
You did all that honey lightening, extra washing, and stuff when the dye came out too dark. I'd blame that. Also bad luck.

This is a pretty good assumption :)

Charybdis
May 1st, 2012, 02:51 AM

^^ This. The timing is very suggestive. Maybe use a clarifying shampoo and then do a bunch of moisturizing treatments?

Aveyronnaise
May 1st, 2012, 03:37 AM
Well , you don't lose very much hair while pregnant so , maybe the hair is "older" than usual making it more susceptible to breaking.

pepperminttea
May 1st, 2012, 04:08 AM

That would be my guess too. You've used moisture conditioners, but did you try a deep moisture treatment? :)

Phalaenopsis
May 1st, 2012, 05:20 AM

This is a pretty good assumption :)

Exactly.

The first thing that came to mind was the honey lightening. It takes some time before the hair gets really dry and you see the real damage that has been done.

Amber_Maiden
May 1st, 2012, 05:21 AM
I have to agree with Springgrl because the pregnancy books that I have read as well as the forums I frequent pointed out that hair, skin and body undergo changes during pregnancy. Supposedly healthy hair will have more luster during this time while dry hair tends to get more dry and may break off. In both cases though, hair volume will increase because hair doesn't shed as much during this period.

In my case, I noticed more hair in the shower and while combing. Initially I thought it was shedding but the books mentioned that broken hairs might seem like shed hairs so that could be the case for me but I'm not entirely sure because I didn't check if the strands had bulbs at the end.

Remember: When you're pregnant your shedding often slows way down or even halts. That means hair you would be losing is hanging around longer and, yeah, getting more fragile for it.

That's without even touching all the nutrition that's going to your baby, not your hair.

Still shedding like crazy, I know this for sure! Most of the hairs I shed in my TT have the root at the end.

Amber_Maiden
May 1st, 2012, 05:26 AM
Is that a recent thing or has it always been like that?
I've found that after reaching a solid waist length, the ends tend to be a lot more fragile (especially since I'm still growing out dye damage) and sometimes a knot pulled can snap, even if you barely pulled on it and it didn't hurt you.
Or it could just be a shed strand that got stuck on other hairs and then it pulled out and made a noise.
Do you use elastics? I know that a lot of people are more prone to breakage when wearing ponytails, even metal free ones. The pressure spot caused by having the hairtie at the same spot every day cases a lot of breakage for some people.

If you don't notice a lot of damage and splits, I wouldn't worry about it. It's really hard not to snap a hair once in a while and some people are just prone to breakage. Nothing a small trim or an S&D once in a while can't fix :)

Hmmm.... maybe it is the length. I haven't seen any damage or splits and haven't needed to S&D in a few weeks! I only use ouch less elastics once in a while- for top knots.

That might definitely be it. Wouldn't have two hennas after have helped make it stronger though?

^^ This. The timing is very suggestive. Maybe use a clarifying shampoo and then do a bunch of moisturizing treatments?

Already did a clarifying wash last week, and I use a deep moisture mask once a week.

Well , you don't lose very much hair while pregnant so , maybe the hair is "older" than usual making it more susceptible to breaking.

Not true for me- still shedding, never stopped. :(

Phalaenopsis
May 1st, 2012, 05:33 AM
Henna will help, but it doesn't undo all the damage. I suggest finding a real heavy conditioner like aubrey organics honeysucklerose (my personal favourite), rosa mosqueta, or white camellia... But that's just me ofcourse, I found those the most heavy organic conditioners out there.

Have you tried doing an avocadomask?

Amber_Maiden
May 1st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Henna will help, but it doesn't undo all the damage. I suggest finding a real heavy conditioner like aubrey organics honeysucklerose (my personal favourite), rosa mosqueta, or white camellia... But that's just me ofcourse, I found those the most heavy organic conditioners out there.

Have you tried doing an avocadomask?

Yep, I already use a heavy moisture conditioner so I'm good there. I guess there could be damage, even if I can't see it??

I'l try an avocado mask! :)