PDA

View Full Version : I <3 braids! (pic)

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Too bad my hair is only APL and layered. I braided my hair today, and it's the first time in a while I've been able to get all of my hair in the braid. However, random pieces start falling out within 5 minutes.

Here is my braid today right after I did it, but it's still messy because of the layering. I was hoping some of you had magical braiding with layers secrets or tips that I could learn. lol I was thinking maybe try adding some product to my hair... I hate that though. I like the feeling of clean hair. This is third day hair and it's still slipping out really bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/PixelPink/Monica/80e5646d.jpg

Perhaps I'm going to have to embrace the "messy look" for another 6 months - a year. I have 4 kids and being able to braid my hair and have it stay would make my life 100x easier! lol

Here's to hoping for a nice neat braid that falls all the way to my waist! :cloud9:

Vanille_
April 30th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I love it!

ladylowtide
April 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Oh wow! Your braid is so thick and pretty!

I am jealous because I am BSL and my hair so layered I have just barely been able to start braiding it :p

Also, great hair in general! :cheese:

Shepherdess
April 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Oh, you have very beautiful hair! ! !! I love it, and your braid looks thick too!

I love braids, and wear them all the time, it has become a habit for me now, lol :p

AdaClare
April 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
It looks really nice! :)

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Thank You! :)

Bunnysaur
April 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
It's gorgeous!!! So thick and shiny... and such a beautiful color, I'm so jealous over here!
I've always loved sideswept braids like that.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
So thick! I think you may be an iii! Beautiful braid!

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Well I haven't measured my circumference since 2006 or 2007, and then it was a ii. I can't say for sure that it's still the same, but I don't know. I don't have a tape measure or a ruler. :/ Maybe I should go through my daughters backpack for a ruler. lol Anyway, I am theorizing that it just appears thick on me because I am small. I'm 5'2" and petite, if it matters?

ETA: I got to thinking, and I posted a while ago that my hair has become more coarse over the past few years so maybe it really is thicker now? :) It used to all be baby fine and the majority of it has become medium instead of fine.

BeckyAH
April 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM
The only secret I have for you it to take tiny sections of hair, and do more of them. A bit of product will help, and so will smaller sections and pulling more 'up' instead of straight across with the braid.

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
^ Thanks! Will try.

KahRistAhn
April 30th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Wow, beautiful! What kinda braid is that? I can never get mine to look that nice. And I know how you feel. I'm growing out my layers, and my braid never stay nice for very long.

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks! It's just a french braid that I worked around the right side of my head starting a few inches above my ears.

Tisiloves
April 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
My tip is to pull tighter than you think you need to, if your hair is anything like mine (slippery) it'll loosen itself off.

oktobergoud
April 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Soo pretty! I love your hair, amazing colour and thickness :D

lacefrost
April 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
This is so beautiful.

curlyhair
May 1st, 2012, 04:21 AM
WOW Beautiful braid

henné
May 1st, 2012, 05:01 AM
Very pretty, but it's obvious it is very loosely braided, which can also give the illusion of a very thick braid (I am ii and also get the same thickness). That is also probably the reason why the hair started falling out very soon after you braided it. Having more sections more tightly braided will give you a longer-lasting braid, but it will also look a tad thinner. I'm not sure how you feel about products on your hair, but some gel or hairspray would definitely help too.

:cheese:

Knotted
May 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM
What gorgeous hair you have! A lovely braid, too!

Sadie
May 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
wow I want to learn that too! I will give it a try tonite :-D

Venefica
May 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
That is gorgeous, but your hair looks allot allot thicker then ii. Your hair is very pretty and I love the color.

lapushka
May 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Lovely braid, and amazing thickness. I'd venture to guess you're a iii as well.

spidermom
May 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Smaller sections is a good idea, also product. You could use aloe vera gel; it's a pretty clean product. I disagree with pulling the sections more up than vertical, though. Coming at it in a straight line holds better for me. Also the Dutch braid holds better. It's the same as you're doing now, except instead of going OVER the center strand with each outer section, you go UNDER the center strand.

MonicaJean
May 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Very pretty, but it's obvious it is very loosely braided, which can also give the illusion of a very thick braid

Yeah like I said, it was as tight as I could pull it with the layering rebelling against me and all.

BrightEyes
May 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Your hair and braid are beautiful:)

millyaulait
May 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wow - that is beautiful! :-)

Whenever I try to do a braid like that my hair ends up looking above SL by the end of it!