PDA

View Full Version : Too thin to grow out properly?

Zarina
April 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Not sure what to do with this mess on my head. Maybe you folks can give me some advice.

I have thin hair, like insanely thin. My ponytail is maybe a pencil and a half in diameter. It is below bra strap length but the longer it gets the flatter it gets. Thin + flat = UGH

Should I just put aside the idea of ever having classic length hair that looks good? I mean long is great and all but if it looks terrible what is the point?

It also doesn't help that it tangles if you look at it cross-eyed. Anyone got some advice for my pathetic little mop of hair?

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Don't give up! There are plenty of LHCers who have thinner hair and it is gorgeous! I say work with what you have, what is your current routine? Maybe somethign there is makeing it even flatter?

xoxophelia
April 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hmm.. if your hair is truly about a pencil in thickness I would say "it depends".. Some people with very fine and thin hair don't have much taper and so they can grow to long lengths without it getting overly thin. But, of course, that is all a matter of opinion. If length is more important to you than having a thick hemline or if you would be happy with fairytale ends, you shouldn't have a problem.

Zarina
April 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I use Tresemme naturals moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. GFTN 3 minute undo and leave in spray for dryness. Also I clarify 1 - 2 times a month with something like k-pak.

I am also prematurely gray, and by that I mean I about to 37 and I have probably 80% gray, who has been using henna for a couple of years now but it wasn't until just the last year or so I stopped making my mix with lemon juice or something equally as hair acidic.

No real heat usage and I generally leave it alone and just let it hang. Too tight a hairdos makes my neck knot up.

Zarina
April 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
And look at all those typos...
I will be so happy when I can edit my posts.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I use Tresemme naturals moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. GFTN 3 minute undo and leave in spray for dryness. Also I clarify 1 - 2 times a month with something like k-pak.

I am also prematurely gray, and by that I mean I about to 37 and I have probably 80% gray, who has been using henna for a couple of years now but it wasn't until just the last year or so I stopped making my mix with lemon juice or something equally as hair acidic.

No real heat usage and I generally leave it alone and just let it hang. Too tight a hairdos makes my neck knot up.

This all sounds good, I think like the poster above said, its up to you, is a blunt hemline all that important or is long hair? I would love to see pictures, I'm sure its beautiful, not to worry, we always critize ourselfs the worst. Try babying those ends with extra leave in and do loose updos if tight ones don't work. maybe braid your hair or do a french twist?

Amanah
April 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
hmm . . . maybe you need to trim to BSL and hold there for a few months to get more thickness at the ends and work on getting more slip in your hair, once your hair is not so tangly, and your hem has thickened a bit, then resume growing for length?

catamonica
April 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I add seasoned chopped onion to my shampoo. It makes the hair thicker. Also add a capful
or two of olive oil to shampoo & conditioner. And aloe vera to the conditioner. I read that both promte growth. The aloe will make your hair baby soft.

Knotted
April 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I have rather fine hair, too. I used to oil the length of my my hair every night, but even though I didn't do my scalp, my hair was always greasy the next day. I stopped using so much oil and also cut back the number of times a week and it seems to have helped. I try to do it now on weekends when I don't care if my hair is greasier.

Onto the bangs! I have bangs and love how they look...when they look good! But...usually they look greasy. I'm still working on that, but a big help is finding a moisturizer for my face that doesn't wreck havoc on my bangs (Bio-oil on my forehead is no good).

Good luck! Try not to get too frustrated trying to find something that works. I totally understand your frustrations :)

islandboo
April 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM
My hair is thinner than yours (I am a solid i at 1.75" circumference) and I am sure there are some people here who think my hair is horrible. However, I also get a lot of compliments on how ethereal and delicate it looks. My ends get really thin below about BSL but I have only been serious about growing my hair out for a little over a year. Realistically, it will take years for my "pampered" hair to get down to my waist and beyond. I am tempted occassionally to cut off the really scraggly part and have BSL hair with a decent hemline, but the tapered bits really help me do updos and updos are part of what protects my hair to allow it to grow long. I will never have the thick, full hair of some of my hair idols here, so I am focusing on having the best hair possible for my hairtype.

FrozenBritannia
April 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
My hair varies between 1.75 inches and 2.25 inches depending on when I wash it and where I am at in my shedding cycle. I intend to grow mine as long as I can. it is true that I have just enough wave to fake body and volume though. I think really thin hair is prettier at longer lengths than at shorter ones, but that is just MHO.

spookyghost
April 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I add seasoned chopped onion to my shampoo. It makes the hair thicker. Also add a capful
or two of olive oil to shampoo & conditioner. And aloe vera to the conditioner. I read that both promte growth. The aloe will make your hair baby soft.

Do you mean chop up some onion and put it into your shampoo? If so, how much and does it stink?

NaturalVegan
April 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Aw, sorry you are having troubles with your hair.

Mine's thin too. It's between my shoulder blades at nipple length - the longest it's been since I was like age 10ish.

I go through debates in my head over whether to chop it around my shoulders cause it'd obviously look it's thickest there (and probably be more flattering for my longish face shape) ... or to keep up with letting it get long despite that showing its thinness. It doesn't really help that I have pretty heavy layers cut in my hair, so I don't really recommend that.

Long hair feels so empowering and feminine and sexy though... :) Good luck to ya whatever you do. Sorry to not be of more help.

Actually one idea that comes to mind is to try out some heat-free curling methods people share on this forum to add thickness and texture. Like braid waves and rag/sock curls (I think they're called) and pin curls and bun waves and headband waves.

You could also try making a gentle, natural hair gel, then scrunch or do a heat-free curling method, for some texture that holds. I've been eyeing these hair gel recipes I found online (http://gossamerstrands.com/Hair/Westherbart.htm) (I altered these slightly):

---
Aloe-Jojoba Gel

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba oil
(opt.) 1 tsp glycerin
(opt.) essential oils

Shake in a 4 oz. mister full of distilled water.

---
Kimberlily's Flax Seed Gel

1 tablespoon of flax seeds
1 cup of water

Place water and flax seeds in a small saucepan. Boil until the liquid becomes viscous - OR simmer over medium-low heat until liquid is reduced by half. Strain out the flax seeds and allow the gel to cool. Keep refrigerated, and use as you would commercial hair gel. Add a couple of drops of essential oil, if you would like to.

---
Shell's Flax Seed Gel

3 T of flax seeds
2 c water
2 vitamin E capsules
1/4 c aloe gel

Boil together flax seeds and 1 cup of water for 4 minutes, strain. Take used flax seeds, add 1 c water, boil for 6 minutes, strain, and cool a bit. Then add vitamin E capsules and aloe gel. Needs to be refrigerated.
---

ETA: Another tip that comes to mind is to wet your hair less often (especially less hot water). Two or three weeks ago I started keeping my hair totally dry in the shower except for when I very occasionally shampoo, or need a little wetness to reshape collicky parts. This has brought so much new shine, softness and moisture to my thin/fine hair. Getting a shower water filter would be very helpful I bet, too.

ETA2: And yet another tip!

Compare yourself to realistic hair models. Not ones with super thick, super wavy/curly hair - but to ones with very thin hair that is in wonderful condition and looking how you can realistically get yours to look :)

ETA3: Found this pic for example here (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com/2008/03/marcia-cross-redhead-long-straight-hairstyle-emmy-awards.jpg&imgrefurl=http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/emmy-hairstyles/marcia-cross-straight-and-sleek-emmy-hairstyle/&usg=__PQzFA3oUKjCcScp82gVqrxreXl0=&h=600&w=401&sz=21&hl=en&start=21&zoom=1&tbnid=b-t6brOyDc6q-M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=90&ei=1DefT7K0H_TSiAL3kYjiAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbeautiful%2Blong%2Bthin%2Bhair%26hl%3 Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1):

http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com/2008/03/marcia-cross-redhead-long-straight-hairstyle-emmy-awards.jpg

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Found this pic for example here (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com/2008/03/marcia-cross-redhead-long-straight-hairstyle-emmy-awards.jpg&imgrefurl=http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/emmy-hairstyles/marcia-cross-straight-and-sleek-emmy-hairstyle/&usg=__PQzFA3oUKjCcScp82gVqrxreXl0=&h=600&w=401&sz=21&hl=en&start=21&zoom=1&tbnid=b-t6brOyDc6q-M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=90&ei=1DefT7K0H_TSiAL3kYjiAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbeautiful%2Blong%2Bthin%2Bhair%26hl%3 Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1):

http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com/2008/03/marcia-cross-redhead-long-straight-hairstyle-emmy-awards.jpg

Hey its Bree from Desperate housewives! I love her! Her hair is at least ii in the show though...sorry, but if anyone here has hair like hers, way to go, so shiny and smooth!

Allychan
April 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hmm your post got me thinking. If it is not from styling damage, like mine is. Here's some questions that came to mind:
Have you always had thin hair? Has it changed considerably since childhood/puberty?
Have you had your hormones checked? Oral contraceptives? Menopause? High Testosterone/low eostrogen?
Have you had any blood work done? Low in iron (anemia) or other trace minerals?
Pesticides or contaminated water?
Do you get enough sunlight? (if you're a vampire skip this one)
Do you eat healthy?
Sorry to bombard you and if some are personal questions (none of which you need to answer on here), but I'd start by looking into each of these questions before giving up.:cheese:

spidermom
April 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thin hair has as much right to be long as any other hair. Do what you like with it.

At least it will never be bushy, like mine.

LuckyH
April 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Hair twin!! I'm also at BSL+ and more hopeful than ever! I started with some scraggle-rock ends and have spent the last two years evening it all up, which has helped so much. So, my biggest recommendations are growing/trimming until you get to a single layer, and finding a similar haired muse to aspire to!
I've been obsessing over Winnie Cooper since Netflix added Wonder Years:

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/68/7F7D345D8D5EE986E1FCFE82605FCF_h400_w275_chwsvcLpV .jpg

tinywife
April 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Does your scalp show? If so, I would go to your doctor and ask him about hypothyroidism.

summergreen
May 1st, 2012, 10:39 AM
There are plenty of members here with i hair that looks amazing - I'm sure yours will look lovely at classic, wear it with pride!

spidermom
May 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
I did once see a woman in the grocery store with a seriously tiny diameter, high ponytail that wisped out somewhere around calf length. I had no idea thin hair could grow that long!

Zarina
May 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
I have asked about the hypothyroidism and I have all the symptoms but my TSH levels are normal. *shrug*

My hair has never been super thick but it has thinned a tiny bit into my 30s I think. I use a copper IUD but I don't really remember it triggering a change in my hair density.

Sunlight I am pretty big on avoiding. I practically glow under blacklight so five minutes in the sun and I am red and on my way to freckle-ville!

I might trim it up to BSL as suggest and hold it there, as suggested, till I get a bit more moisture/health/slip. A lot of my grays are wiry and laugh in the face of moisture so I need to balance between oily scalp and wire like ends.

jojo
May 1st, 2012, 04:54 PM
There are lots of members with thinner hair, have a hunt round at other members photos. Were all different and thinner hair can be just as beautiful as thicker, you grow girl!

jacqueline101
May 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Maybe you can have fairytail ends and have the long beautiful hair you've longed for.

red-again
May 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Hi, I had to reply because I have a slightly different prblem to you with my hair but equally frustrating!
I have lots of hair - nearly 3.5'' on circumference and thats without my shortest round my face layers. BUT it is very thin, each strand that is! I have almost black hair naturally but now henna and indigo to cover grey. ANd even with it's dark colour, against a contrasting background it looks really thin, and when rolled between finger and thumb it feels only slightly up from fine silk!
The result of this combo for me is my hair hangs, flattens itself under the weight of it. I have tried, unsuccessfully in the past to grow to one length, which works to shoulder length/ armpit length but after that it hangs awfully, doesn't make the most of my face shape at all.
However, this time I am going to persevere. I am hoping that once below BSL, the hanging problem may dissappear or at least it won't be the first thing I notice in the morning if I have lovely long locks to look at!

I do feel your worry, concern and pain though! Lets both just 'go for it' worst case scenario we look like numpties and get it cut! Are you up for the challenge?

Oh, and before I go, you could try Kelp as a suplement, it will naturally boost a borderline thyroid problem. My tsh levels are normal but I feel enlivened when I take Sea Kelp tabs, so I will keep taking them and hope my hair will thicken up too

Mesmerise
May 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM
It's hard to give advice without actually seeing your hair. However, I think thin hair can look really pretty when it's long! I think the amount of taper IS significant though. Some people with thin hair seem to have pretty bad taper (as do some with thick hair) while others don't. I seem to have a taper problem myself... and am trying to convince myself to just LET IT GROW and not feel the need to cut off the thin ends :rolleyes:. I've had a couple of major sheds over the past couple of years... and my hair tapers VERY quickly and to me, looks awful.

Sometimes I think we are our own worse critics though! I have seen members here who complained about their awful hair, and then they'd post a picture and it looked really pretty :). Maybe you just need another perspective on it!

barely.there
May 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
i second the Kelp tablets. If you think something might be amiss with your thyroid, but your levels aren't "off enough" for your doctors concern, try the kelp/iodine tablets. I didn't have anything really wrong with my thyroid either, but they seemed to help me!!

Just try microtrimming/maintaining for awhile. I've microtrimmed 1/8 inch off twice last month, and my hemline is already noticeably thicker :)

Syrena
May 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
I suffer from taper problem myself. My ponytail circumference is pretty much average (2,75inch) but my hair tapers significantly from the hip-length. It makes me sad because I dreamed about having classic length hair. Since November I am trimming monthly, but I see small (almost any) results so far. I decided to stay at tailbone length until the end of the year in order to give my hair really chance to improve itself (my hair grows very slowly). I like super long thin hair on others, but somehow on myself – it makes me very conscious and I don’t feel comfortable wearing my hair down. It is true that I have some damaged ends starting from hips that can contribute to my thin ends, but I think my hair tapers in general.
I would trim to BSL at your place and do monthly trims. It is the best way to see if your hairline will improve. Good luck whatever you will decide!

Zarina
May 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
I have a sock bun in my hair right now but I will post some pics of my hair as soon as I get taken down and washed. (YAY for being able to post pics!)

FrozenBritannia
May 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have asked about the hypothyroidism and I have all the symptoms but my TSH levels are normal. *shrug*

My hair has never been super thick but it has thinned a tiny bit into my 30s I think. I use a copper IUD but I don't really remember it triggering a change in my hair density.

Sunlight I am pretty big on avoiding. I practically glow under blacklight so five minutes in the sun and I am red and on my way to freckle-ville!

I might trim it up to BSL as suggest and hold it there, as suggested, till I get a bit more moisture/health/slip. A lot of my grays are wiry and laugh in the face of moisture so I need to balance between oily scalp and wire like ends.

The T4 and T3 levels are the ones you need to look at. (for thyroid)

Amazinggrace
May 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM

If you have symptoms of hyopthyroidism, your Dr needs to test TSH, FreeT3 and FreeT4. Those three together will show how much thyroid hormone you are producing, and processing.

skyblue
May 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
My hair varies between 1.75 inches and 2.25 inches depending on when I wash it and where I am at in my shedding cycle. I intend to grow mine as long as I can. it is true that I have just enough wave to fake body and volume though. I think really thin hair is prettier at longer lengths than at shorter ones, but that is just MHO.

Yes! I think it will! I'm sure with very gentle handling and lots of up dos your hair will grow just fine

chotee
May 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
I third kelp tablets for normal thyroid levels, also a tablespoon of coconut oil helps they say but maybe you can start slow on that. I am a yoga teacher, if you have never tried yoga before, i would ask you to give it a try. Shoulder stand can be one of the best remedies for thyroid glands. It can reverse the problems and can give you good health. Again there are many many postures to improve health and hair is the best sign for overall health. Low iron can also give thin hair so a good multi. Perhaps you are doing all these and could be just the plain old genes we inherit, still we can look our best with what we have. My best remedy for growing thicker hair is castor oil rubbed on scalp and massaged for ten minutes everyday without fail in the morning. Wash it off after one or two hours if possible. I know, in the beginning your hair might look more lanky and oily but as time goes on, new hair sprouts, you will be encouraged.

Keep up your spirits and happy growing :-)