PDA

View Full Version : Do you S & D all through your hair or just the ends?

Curlsgirl
July 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I am wondering if I were to look for splits should I just look at the last couple of inches or try to find them on up the length and snip them off if I find any? What do you do those of you who S & D?

Speedbump
July 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I usually look in the last foot of hair for problems, but my personal motto is, and hey sing along to Devo if you like:

"When a split comes along, you must snip it!" :lol:

Stagecoach
July 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I find most of my splits throughout my hair, not at the ends.

But since I've started catnip tea rinses my splits have lessed a lot over all.

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Lately I only snip a split or other damage if I run into a tangle while I'm combing out my hair. Otherwise I try to stay away from the lamp and the scissors.

Curlsgirl
July 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Okay so I take a few hairs and look at them all up and down the whole length and snip where I see a split if I start doing this. I am not sure I can see them but may try it anyway. Thanks all of you for the tips!

Meli
July 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I get splits/white dots/broken bends anywhere in my length, but only the last few inches need frequent S&D. I usually S&D my braid tassels about 1-2 times a week, and checking my entire length in small sections I have done about every 6th week. The last time I checked my length I had almost no splits above APL, and only a few between APL-BSL, so I might not have to do a thorough S&D again for quite some time. Seems like my gentler haircare (catnip included) is giving results. :D Those last few inches, however, are dry and brittle after years of rough handling, and I have considered cutting/gradually trimming them away. Then I would not need to do so frequent S&D-ing, but I hesitate to cut/trim as I prefer to have fairytale ends. Maybe I'll cut in the future though - or maybe not.

JessTheMess
July 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
if i see it, i snip it... lol there are usually more at the ends, but I am growing out fringe and layers so they can be all over... :(

manderly
July 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I snip them all. Since I still have layers and they contain the most damage, I tend to comb, hit a snag, inspect and snip.

I also have a huge amount of single-hair knots and I find those by running my fingers over a small clump of hair and I can feel the knot. I get a lot of these up around my forehead hairline and nape for some reason.

Carolyn
July 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I try to go up 4-6". S & D would be pointless for me if I just did the ends. I have so any splits up the length.

angelthadiva
July 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I had been S&D-ing only the ends, but today while I was changing my style from one to another--I noticed some splits from where my bleached blonde highlights were--I think I'll be doing an all over S&D very soon.

Kiraela
July 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I S&D everywhere I can see, pretty much.

I've got damage from bleach from about collarbones down, so... yeah.

Chromis
July 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I snip where I see them too. I tend to look harder in the last few inches, but I find them higher sometimes too.

thankyousir74
July 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I go the if I see it I snip it and if I see it through out the day and I don't have my scissors handy then i feel annoyed -.- But since my hair is short/layered, splits can pretty much be anywhere :/ And I cant even see the strands in the back yet....

I'm shore it'll be less of a hard time once I grow my hair out

Gwaihiril
July 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
On S&D, I usually focus on the ends, which ends up being the last 2-3 inches. However, if I'm combing my hair and I see split ends, I'll grab the scissors if they're nearby to cut it off, since there's no sense in leaving a split end in my hair.

DarkChocolate
July 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I do S&D throughout the entire length. I hate finding those bent hairs and white dots but snip them because I know then the hair strand will continue to grow:) I tend to find most splits and bent hairs on the ends.

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I just don't S&D at all anymore. It's too hard on my eyes. When I did, I would do a section of hair and trim any splits I saw, whatever the length.

Fia
July 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I did it throughout the entire length when my hair was long the last time. It was unusual to find splits any higher than about BSL though - and most of the splits were confined to the last 2-3 inches of the hair.

dor3girl
July 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I usually look in the last foot of hair for problems, but my personal motto is, and hey sing along to Devo if you like:

"When a split comes along, you must snip it!" :lol:

Can I use this as my personal mantra? I don't s&d very often--but mostly just check out the last 4 " of hair...

mugglemomof3
July 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I try to hunt down all my splits, no matter where they are, but I've got so many I usually end up getting tired and stressed out after only a small section. So maybe if I only hunted on the ends I could actually get my whole head done. Hmmm.

frizzinator
July 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
My splits are not on the ends, but are located throughout.

ladystar
July 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
If I find it anywere it is I cut it ! I usually look at the length. =)

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I do as much of the length as I can. I also sometimes have my sister help, especially in the back.

starfire
July 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
All over. I find quite a bit at eye-level. Or maybe that's just where I tend to look!

danacc
August 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I look up the length as far as I can for splits. While most of the splits and white dots are near the ends, some are rather far up the length. My hair has proven itself capable of splitting practically anywhere! Also, some of my "newer" hair that is long but not as long as the full length will split, and I want to snip those, too.

I cut above any split hair. I know it will just break off there soon if I don't, and a clean cut is much healthier.

trolleypup
August 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
I S&D the entire length...well, not much above APL, most of my splits are in the oldest most exposed foot or so, but I do find generally small splits up higher.

Nevermore
August 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I S&D everything I can see. In my opinion, that's one of the reasons S&D is needed-the splits at the ends will be removed by trims if you trim, but the splits higher up won't, unless you're cutting a foot of hair off.

Curlsgirl
August 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Do you curlies have more trouble finding them by any chance? I noticed most people that responded here are not in the 3 range. Just wondering.

rubyredslippers
August 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I S&D all over the length, most is in the bottom 6 inches but I do have a problem with splits in nape hair.

I'm a wurly, but that doesn't quite answer your question.

Anje
August 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I search throughout the length. Splits on the ends are actually quite rare for me, but I've got more than I like to admit scattered through it as high as I can see. (Silly fine hair that splits when you look at it funny... I'm not sure if I dare catnip rinses with all the fuzzballs I have running around the house, though.)

Calanthe
August 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I S&D through the length up to the shoulder. I tend to tear hair there because of my bag, so there are quite a few split ends there.