PDA

View Full Version : I need a non-damaging styling product to help create/hold waves

spookyghost
April 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hi! I cant seem to find a non-damaging hair product to help create the waves for the sock bun or braiding for waves. I was at Wal-mart and found just a couple of products to spray in but they didnt say if it was free of stuff that can build up or damage hair. I looked at the ingredients but I had no idea what I was looking for!

Please if anyone can tell me what they use I would sure appreciate it!:)

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM
You could use pure aloe gel? Or maybe some Finesse mousse? Its acohol (sp?) free. Maybe some aloe gel shaken with water?

spookyghost
April 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
You could use pure aloe gel? Or maybe some Finesse mousse? Its acohol (sp?) free. Maybe some aloe gel shaken with water?

Thanks-I'll keep that in mind! Will the aloe hold the waves and kinda help them form? I havent had much luck with mousses. I dont know why. I have fine hair so I kinda think mousses would work for me but they dont:(

shutterpillar
April 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have also heard good things about aloe. :) Get the pure kind... not the green or colored stuff.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks-I'll keep that in mind! Will the aloe hold the waves and kinda help them form? I havent had much luck with mousses. I dont know why. I have fine hair so I kinda think mousses would work for me but they dont:(

Mousses work great for me and my hair is not fine, I didn't know they were for fine hair... I LOVE mousse. The aloe will hold waves, if you want stronger hold get some hard hold gel. Does your hair hold styles well? Mine holds heat free curls like no tommrow. I would try using about 2 TBLs of aloe gel in a spray bottle then filling the spay bottle the rest of the way full with water. Spray it on your hand and see if you can feel the aloe gel, if not, add a bit more. I would spray each section if doing rag or pin curls, or dampen the whole head if doing a sock bun curling technique. The Aloe will hold the waves and keep them formed, but if you need more hold I say find a spray gel and use that.

nobeltonya
April 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I wet bun after applying leave-in conditioner and my hair holds waves pretty well.. no heat. :D Otherwise, I have no idea.. :)

cremenoir
April 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM
i use garnier pure clean gel to bring out waves in my hair. it has a very low alcohol content and i haven't noticed any drying effect on my hair at all, and i use it almost every day. it has enough hold to create waves, and what i really love about is that after letting it dry, its soft enough that i can finger comb through it to get rid of that 'gelled' look and it doesnt flake at all, it actually makes my hair very soft. i think it would work really well for bun waves.

another product i like to use occasionally for creating waves is loreal everstyle volume boosting mousse. i like that its alcohol-free, but i probably wouldn't use it everyday because mousse in general tends to be a little drying.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
i use garnier pure clean gel to bring out waves in my hair. it has a very low alcohol content and i haven't noticed any drying effect on my hair at all, and i use it almost every day. it has enough hold to create waves, and what i really love about is that after letting it dry, its soft enough that i can finger comb through it to get rid of that 'gelled' look and it doesnt flake at all, it actually makes my hair very soft. i think it would work really well for bun waves.

another product i like to use occasionally for creating waves is loreal everstyle volume boosting mousse. i like that its alcohol-free, but i probably wouldn't use it everyday because mousse in general tends to be a little drying.

I use mousse daily but it makes my hair SO dry, any ideas on how to combat this? The mousse works good and I have no intentions of stopping it but it makes my hair dry..there must be a balance...

manderly
April 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hollyfire, I'd recommend finding a different product - mousse is not really the best choice sometimes.

Aloe vera gel, and LA Looks (I believe the Sport version) are two that are commonly used by curlies to help define and hold waves and wurls without damage.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hollyfire, I'd recommend finding a different product - mousse is not really the best choice sometimes.

Aloe vera gel, and LA Looks (I believe the Sport version) are two that are commonly used by curlies to help define and hold waves and wurls without damage.

My mousse addiction is an issue, I know, I just like how it makes my hair look, gel just doesn't work as well, maybe if I do some extra DT's i'll be alright? I'm not ready to part with my mousse....I will give LA looks a try, aloe gel is too light to actually hold curl for me.

spookyghost
April 30th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone! I have a few products to work with. Im not sure how my hair holds a curl. Its been years since I used a curling iron and if I remember correctly the curl fell but my hair wasnt completely straight either. My hair is fine so I'm thinking the curl wont hold all day. But hey if it holds most of the day or at least looks ok once the curl falls, I could probably live with that!:p

I wash my hair every other day and on the non wash day I put it in a pony tail. Its either that or use a flat iron. I love wearing my hair down so I thought of the sock bun so I can hopefully wear my hair down on non wash days. Thats the plan anyways!:D

NaturalVegan
April 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
As I just wrote in another thread, I've been eyeing these gentle, natural hair gel recipes I found online (I altered these slightly):

---
Aloe-Jojoba Gel

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba oil
(opt.) 1 tsp glycerin
(opt.) essential oils

Shake in a 4 oz. mister full of distilled water.

---
Kimberlily's Flax Seed Gel

1 tablespoon of flax seeds
1 cup of water

Place water and flax seeds in a small saucepan. Boil until the liquid becomes viscous - OR simmer over medium-low heat until liquid is reduced by half. Strain out the flax seeds and allow the gel to cool. Keep refrigerated, and use as you would commercial hair gel. Add a couple of drops of essential oil, if you would like to.

---
Shell's Flax Seed Gel

3 T of flax seeds
2 c water
2 vitamin E capsules
1/4 c aloe gel

Boil together flax seeds and 1 cup of water for 4 minutes, strain. Take used flax seeds, add 1 c water, boil for 6 minutes, strain, and cool a bit. Then add vitamin E capsules and aloe gel. Needs to be refrigerated.

---
If anyone tries these, feel free to share your results! I'll probably try the first one within a month :)

spookyghost
April 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM
As I just wrote in another thread, I've been eyeing these gentle, natural hair gel recipes I found online (I altered these slightly):

---
Aloe-Jojoba Gel

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba oil
(opt.) 1 tsp glycerin
(opt.) essential oils

Shake in a 4 oz. mister full of distilled water.

---
Kimberlily's Flax Seed Gel

1 tablespoon of flax seeds
1 cup of water

Place water and flax seeds in a small saucepan. Boil until the liquid becomes viscous - OR simmer over medium-low heat until liquid is reduced by half. Strain out the flax seeds and allow the gel to cool. Keep refrigerated, and use as you would commercial hair gel. Add a couple of drops of essential oil, if you would like to.

---
Shell's Flax Seed Gel

3 T of flax seeds
2 c water
2 vitamin E capsules
1/4 c aloe gel

Boil together flax seeds and 1 cup of water for 4 minutes, strain. Take used flax seeds, add 1 c water, boil for 6 minutes, strain, and cool a bit. Then add vitamin E capsules and aloe gel. Needs to be refrigerated.

---
If anyone tries these, feel free to share your results! I'll probably try the first one within a month :)

Thank you! The first one sounds promising and a little easier than the other two. If I do try it I will post results!

I wonder if pandoras hair growth will work?

1. 1tbsp organic coconut oil
2. 1tbsp castor oil
3. 8-9 drops tea tree oil
4. 8-9 drops lavender oil
5. 6-7 drops rosemary oil

And maybe add some of the aloe vera oil that some people have already suggested.

spookyghost
May 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
I forgot to mention that Pandoras hair growth spray is rose water with all the oils I just mentioned!