PDA

View Full Version : "Long hairs" vs. "longhairs"

Bill D.
July 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's funny how many people here refer to us as long hairs when that term means hairs that are long, not people with long hair. There's even a social group here with this term in its title. People with long hair are longhairs, just like a person with red hair is a redhead, not a red head.

I'm not a long hair, but there are a great number of them on my longhaired head. :)

Bill D.

Gumball
July 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Haha. So true. If I was a long hair I'd have no arms to style or maintain myself. Woe would be me!

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM
He he, I propably slip things like that all the time: English is not my native tongue and I never remember which words should be writen together and when ;) I'll try my best from now on! :flower:

galen
July 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Longhair is often used as a slang term for intellectuals, artists, or hippies. Even lovers of classical music. Long Hair refers to any hairstyle which is relatively long.

Not that I'm splitting hairs or getting in one's hair. :D

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
As long as communication is happening, we don't have to get nit-picky (a technical term) about precise semantics, do we?

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I never thought about it so I probs used to wrong one at some point, maybe even regularly!!

dorothea-brooke
July 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
As long as communication is happening, we don't have to get nit-picky (a technical term) about precise semantics, do we?

Yes, these grammar situations can get kind of hairy if we're not careful!

:rollin:

dorothea

centurytoolate
July 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I consider myself a longhair in both senses. The one with long hair and the one who loves classical music and other semi-intellectual pursuits. Yay, longhairs!

CurlyNinja
July 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM

:rolleyes: But secretly....:bowtome:

That was awfully good!

dorothea-brooke
July 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
:rolleyes: But secretly....:bowtome:

That was awfully good!

:D

dorothea

Chromis
July 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM

dorothea

Yes, we must sometimes go to great lengths to be correct!

jessie58
July 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I personally think of longhairs as a state of mind as well as the length of their hair. So very true if you separate the longhairs from the long hairs.

getoffmyskittle
July 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I like "hairballs." It's sufficiently ambiguous to be able to mean both!

:eyebrows:

dor3girl
July 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I had one guy call me a "longhair-liberal"--and I was like, "dude, you don't even know me! I am actually indie-conservative!" I hate it when people think they can assume how you will vote or eat or shop based on your hair length...

thankyousir74
July 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
hehe this made me giggle some. I now know to not put a space in between (if I ever did before hand).

Bill D.
July 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Yes, we must sometimes go to great lengths to be correct! Even at the cost of splitting hairs. ;)

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Bill D., I'm surprised at you for starting such a controversial thread! :p

When I joined here, I was a woman with relatively long hair, at least compared to the people in real life. Now I'm a woman who's a longhair. My hair isn't much longer, but my attitude has changed.

dorothea-brooke
July 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Even at the cost of splitting hairs. ;)

:bowtome:

dorothea

Haith
July 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Rather than let it bother me I have decided that we are making our own slang here. Someone with long hair is a longhair, but not all of us have long hair yet. However, we are all bound by our love of long hair and thus we are all long hairs, even the shorthairs with well, short hair.

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hmmm.....following this logic, I guess I'm a longhairedredheadedyogateachinghippiechick.

Or not.

jojo
July 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
:beerchug: My thoughts exactly, there is no need to 'split hairs :eyebrows:' !!!!

biggeorge
July 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
hehe this made me giggle some. I now know to not put a space in between (if I ever did before hand).

Made me laugh also. Look at your siggy.

emphasis is mine

wintersun99
July 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Patrycja
July 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't even realise this untill you posted this thread,Bill D.. I just get irked when people around here call me a "tree hugging hippie" because of the way I dress and that my hair is on the long side.In my area-hip length is almost unheard of.Anything longer than that is....very rarely seen.Very rarely.

Pierre
July 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Getting nit-picky is lousy. ;)

So you won't do it after foot?

Who came up with "beforehand/antemano" first, btw?

Bill D.
July 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM

I should have been more tactful in my opening post, and I apologize to anyone who I offended by being too specific.

I will post again on this thread, next time more considerately. [On second thought, I'd rather not give this thread a bump and maybe cause more people to see my first post.]