PDA

View Full Version : Having a depressing hair day - need encouragement!

pariate
July 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi all

Well I've hit a slump :( I know I've made progress with my hair since I found LHC last year - I'm much more careful with it, I protect it a lot more than I used to and my current routine seems to be working very well. I'm much happier with the overall condition, and that's a lovely feeling! However my hair has really taken a battering over the last couple of years, especially in 2007 before I found LHC. I was shampooing almost every day for about five months (ill last year, had crazy hormones which meant super-greasy hair every morning, YUK!) and blow-frying to make the horrid frizz more manageable. My hair just wasn't strong enough to withstand that kind of treatment.

I had a good 1.5"-2" of horrid, crispy, damaged ends (hair about 1" below BSL) and self-trimmed an inch of that a couple of months ago with excellent results. Yesterday I took a little more off, probably about 0.5", and also trimmed the layer by 0.5". The layer is just about shoulder length, maybe a little longer, and makes my hair feel so much thinner than it would if it was all one length. I feel like it's going to take FOREVER to grow out :( :( :( I really needed to make those trims and I know it means the hair I have left is healthier and looks better... but I just want it looooooooooong! I had a bad cut last April and the stylist really thinned out my layer by cutting the sections in the layer in a sort of V shape... Does that make ANY sense? I don't think I've described it very well! I didn't realise she'd done it until I got home.

I could really use a morale boost please please please, pretty please. Sorry to moan so much! It's just so frustrating. How long is it going to take to get rid of this layer?! It feels like years.

Okay, negative rant over!

TIA :flower:

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
It takes years for anybody to get long hair, so hang in there. We're all in the same boat, just in different places. Yesterday I critically evaluated my hair and determined that if I cut back to APL, I'd have all post-LHC, well-cared-for hair. But it took me years to get to hip length, so I'm going to stick with my plan of regular small trims (every 3 months). It's a comfort that every hair on my head right now will eventually shed out. Then I'll have 100% well-cared-for hair. I'm sure I'll still be able to find fault if I want to, though.

So let's just chill and let it grow, o.k?

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Double post; sorry. I thought my first one didn't take, but it did. Odd.

pariate
July 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks Spidermom. I know you're right! Hopefully my recent switch to wearing my hair up every day will aid the illusion of faster growth. One day I'll take my hair down and feel like Rapunzel, right? ;)

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Exactly! Happy growing.

Curlsgirl
July 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Glad you moaned here instead of actually doing something drastic! That's what we are here for! I feel the same way sometimes, just tired of my hair and depressed or something. I come here and whine and cry and someone cheers me up. That is how it's supposed to work! :love:

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hugs :grouphug: It will grow when you're not looking at it :) I'm sure the trims have made your hair more beautiful, and some have experienced that trimming a little makes the hair grow faster. Good luck!

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think your updo strategy may preclude the need for so many future trims. The V shape and layers also should stop bothering you this way (unless you tried to make a particular updo that tends to get "end-y").

Trims are well and good, or so I believe. But when it's up more often you may be able to get away with less of them because the ends and their shape won't bug you usually.

It sounds to me like you are accomplishing a lot. And remember, BSL is long in the opinion of a great many people.

mellie
July 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Your layers will grow out soon, it is summer and I notice my hair grows faster in the summer. Also, with the trims, it will grow out very beautiful and healthy!

One thing you may want to try to encourage growth, I just tried it this last week, is horsetail rinses. I really felt like I got instant growth!

Golden21
July 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
At least your growing it out now... it can only grow longer at this point. I agree it gets frustrating, wanting it to grow longer, but at least your on the right track!

Tressie
July 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi!
I know exactly how you are feeling, but try to realize that you've made a good decision for the health of your hair and the length will come with time! You will grow longer every day! Don't dispair! Smile and be happy that you are learning how to properly care for your hair at such a young age.:cheese:

Amara
July 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
It will grow! :flowers: Good luck.

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Awww.... Thank you all, you're all so kind and lovely!

:grouphug: