PDA

View Full Version : going red!

amanda_the_tall
April 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
hey guys!
i'm still working on growing out old permanent dye, and lately i've been wanting to try a red color to try to blend in the last 8 inches of my hair. first of all i'm planning on using a semi-permanent, so hopefully it will fade gradually, and not be as damaging as the last dye i used. i'm looking at natural instincts cinnaberry. i was also wondering if i had the right complexion for red. i don't want to look crazy, and every time i've asked someone about if i'm a warm or cool, they say they're not sure? my eyes are green/brown with a blue rim on the outside. my normal hair color is ashy/golden medium brown, just in case the picture links don't work.

here's my face/ normal color (sorry i look kinda scary/close up)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1303524460647&set=a.1302661679078.2041443.1006533611&type=3&theater

here's when i had a redd-ish color. probably mahogany. (i'm on the right)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1340788272219&set=a.1340786552176.2045499.1006533611&type=3&theater

opinions please? :flower:

ladylowtide
April 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
You don't look scary close up, you look beautiful!

I think that color will suit you very well. I have red hair that I can pull off, but it isn't my ideal color, I however think that the red you have picked out will look perfect on you! :cheese:

amanda_the_tall
April 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
thank you ladylowtide! i'm hoping it'll make my hair slightly more red, i've gotten tired of looking around the classroom and seeing 10 people all with the same exact hair color as me. lol

NymphSpirit
April 29th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I think you'd look lovely! (Oh god you remind me so much of Emma Stone!!) Anyways, yes I think red would suit you, but why don't you try a vegetable dye first, just in case you don't love it?

amanda_the_tall
April 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I think you'd look lovely! (Oh god you remind me so much of Emma Stone!!) Anyways, yes I think red would suit you, but why don't you try a vegetable dye first, just in case you don't love it?

emma stone? awesome! i watched zombieland the other day, lol. what is a vegetable dye? and where can i get such?

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM
bumping for more opinions/ where you can get vegetable dye?

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
bumping for more opinions/ where you can get vegetable dye?

Online, places like Hot Topic, beauty suplly stores. :) Its pretty readily avaliable
BTW, I think the red looks more natural then your natural color, its beautiful! ANd yes, you look like Emma Stone, maybe try REALLY red vegtable dye just to see if you like her color hair on you? Lol, just kiding, mostly

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Online, places like Hot Topic, beauty suplly stores. :) Its pretty readily avaliable
BTW, I think the red looks more natural then your natural color, its beautiful! ANd yes, you look like Emma Stone, maybe try REALLY red vegtable dye just to see if you like her color hair on you? Lol, just kiding, mostly

thank you hollyfire! :)
the only restraint i have with going REALLY red, is i'm applying to pharmacy school, and the rule is no un-natural colors. and my skin tone is kinda red, i don't want to end up like a tomato! lol

Valfreyja
April 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
If you don't bleach first you can avoid the unnatural look with Manic Panic, especially since you colour is a somewhat muted brown. As always, strand-test strand-test strand-test! :D

I think red'll look fab!

EDIT: I thought I had seen someone with natural looking hair using manic panic on their website, but now I'm not so sure it's as natural as you would like: http://www.manicpanic.com/besthaircolor/electriclava.html

Still, you can always try using rhubarb powder...

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
i completely forgot about doing a strand test *smacks head* and bleach scares the crap out of me, no bleach for me!

eta: here's a more recent picture of my natural hair color, it was taken with an actual camera instead of a phone. *don't look at the mess behind me lol*
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9481&pictureid=127414

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM
i completely forgot about doing a strand test *smacks head* and bleach scares the crap out of me, no bleach for me!

eta: here's a more recent picture of my natural hair color, it was taken with an actual camera instead of a phone. *don't look at the mess behind me lol*
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9481&pictureid=127414

hmmm, this looks lighter than the picture before so if this is your actual hair color, the manic panic may be too red. Maybe try a semi permanant color in red?

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 01:33 PM
hmmm, this looks lighter than the picture before so if this is your actual hair color, the manic panic may be too red. Maybe try a semi permanant color in red?

that picture was with flash, so it's not quite that light. it's probably in the middle of the two. sorry, i seem to just confuse people the more i try to explain.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
thank you hollyfire! :)
the only restraint i have with going REALLY red, is i'm applying to pharmacy school, and the rule is no un-natural colors. and my skin tone is kinda red, i don't want to end up like a tomato! lol

You could go natural red like this:http://www.fanpop.com/spots/emma-stone/images/23299745/title/emma-stone-photo
Its more natural looking and very pretty, I think it would also look good on you.
The Clairol Cinnaberry color is a bit browner than the picture above, but both would be nice. A color like this:http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/clairol-natural-instincts-non-permanent-hair-color/ID=prod849712-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Beauty would go over your light brown hair and get you the Emma Stone color above, also mentioned in previous posts, be sure to do a strand test!

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM
that picture was with flash, so it's not quite that light. it's probably in the middle of the two. sorry, i seem to just confuse people the more i try to explain.

Its fine, I understand, hey my hair looks black on camera when its really dark chestnut, don't get me started on cameras and hair color lol.:D

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
haha, in the pictures in my album, the bottom half of my hair has a purple tint. i don't even know how that appears because i had dyed it dark brown over a year ago, and it didn't even have purple in it! and the hair dye you mentioned, i was looking at that one as well, i was wondering if i could maybe mix the cinnaberry and spiced tea perhaps, to get a color in the middle? i've read reviews of cinnaberry turning out a burgundy color, so i was also considering the lighter shade. i don't know if it'll lighten my color considerably, however. the red might show up better though.

eta: and thanks again for offering advice/tips, the only person irl i can get hair advice from is my recent cosmetology-school-graduate hair-stylist friend, who insists she should cut my hair to neck length (who is also saying she's growing her hair out, yet consistently cuts it in a pixie for the past four years.. ) *shivers*

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 01:58 PM
haha, in the pictures in my album, the bottom half of my hair has a purple tint. i don't even know how that appears because i had dyed it dark brown over a year ago, and it didn't even have purple in it! and the hair dye you mentioned, i was looking at that one as well, i was wondering if i could maybe mix the cinnaberry and spiced tea perhaps, to get a color in the middle? i've read reviews of cinnaberry turning out a burgundy color, so i was also considering the lighter shade. i don't know if it'll lighten my color considerably, however. the red might show up better though.

I think you could probably mix them, it would be very pretty. I saw that purple tint...left over dye sure is intresting! Whatever dye you end up going with, pics please!:)

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 02:00 PM

eta: and thanks again for offering advice/tips, the only person irl i can get hair advice from is my recent cosmetology-school-graduate hair-stylist friend, who insists she should cut my hair to neck length (who is also saying she's growing her hair out, yet consistently cuts it in a pixie for the past four years.. ) *shivers*

Your welcome, I'm glad to help! LOL on that last part...some people just have no clue do they? The friend is probably seeing your beautiful hair grow out but has no patience to grow her own, but she has to say SOMETHING about her hair...so funny

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Your welcome, I'm glad to help! LOL on that last part...some people just have no clue do they? The friend is probably seeing your beautiful hair grow out but has no patience to grow her own, but she has to say SOMETHING about her hair...so funny

i know right! and yes, i will def post pics. how's your hair doing, btw? did you get the protein/moisture equation improved?

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
i know right! and yes, i will def post pics. how's your hair doing, btw? did you get the protein/moisture equation improved?

Thanks for asking, hehehe, I'm gonna go laugh at myself now because you'll never guess what worked...some random on sale shampoo and conditioner called Nuance by Salma Hayek...crazy right? Well, my hair has been consistently curly for 3 washes and just keeps getting curlier, I may have to retype my hair...its insane really, its a bit poof and more volume comes back with each was, I'm so excited! But here's the thing, the "I hate my curls syndrome" is coming back...I won't straighten it, its not that bad yet, but I want smooth, sleek hair because I personally think it looks better with my face...I will probably do some no-heat huge (and I mean HUGE) curls to striaghten it a bit...I can't just shut up and be happy can I? I want the volume but not the curls near my face...I don't knwo what to do! I'm happy its curling again though!

eta: I guess this shampoo and conditioner has the right protein/moisture balance for me! Its not cone free or sulfate free or CO or anything crazy, just normal shampoo and conditioner,Here's the shampoo:http://reviews.cvs.com/3006-en_us/840210/nuance-salma-hayek-nuance-salma-hayek-mamey-fruit-volumizing-shampoo-reviews/reviews.htm
and the conditioner: http://reviews.cvs.com/3006-en_us/840213/nuance-salma-hayek-nuance-salma-hayek-mamey-fruit-volumizing-conditioner-reviews/reviews.htm
I also bought their moisture mask but have yet to use if for fear of throwing this off, but my hair is a bit dry so...i might end up using it
I think my love of Holly Marie Combs hair is winning in this fight for what my hair looks like...think I could use some heat free curls to get a similar look like this:http://www.ouchpress.com/holly-marie-combs/wallpapers/322317.html

spidermom
April 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I don't know much about dyes, but I think your natural coloring is cool. Your undertone appears to be pink, so stay away from orangey reds.

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for asking, hehehe, I'm gonna go laugh at myself now because you'll never guess what worked...some random on sale shampoo and conditioner called Nuance by Salma Hayek...crazy right? Well, my hair has been consistently curly for 3 washes and just keeps getting curlier, I may have to retype my hair...its insane really, its a bit poof and more volume comes back with each was, I'm so excited! But here's the thing, the "I hate my curls syndrome" is coming back...I won't straighten it, its not that bad yet, but I want smooth, sleek hair because I personally think it looks better with my face...I will probably do some no-heat huge (and I mean HUGE) curls to striaghten it a bit...I can't just shut up and be happy can I? I want the volume but not the curls near my face...I don't knwo what to do! I'm happy its curling again though!

eta: I guess this shampoo and conditioner has the right protein/moisture balance for me! Its not cone free or sulfate free or CO or anything crazy, just normal shampoo and conditioner,Here's the shampoo:http://reviews.cvs.com/3006-en_us/840210/nuance-salma-hayek-nuance-salma-hayek-mamey-fruit-volumizing-shampoo-reviews/reviews.htm
and the conditioner: http://reviews.cvs.com/3006-en_us/840213/nuance-salma-hayek-nuance-salma-hayek-mamey-fruit-volumizing-conditioner-reviews/reviews.htm
I also bought their moisture mask but have yet to use if for fear of throwing this off, but my hair is a bit dry so...i might end up using it
I think my love of Holly Marie Combs hair is winning in this fight for what my hair looks like...think I could use some heat free curls to get a similar look like this:http://www.ouchpress.com/holly-marie-combs/wallpapers/322317.html

yay! i'm super happy you found something that worked for you! as for the smooth/sleek look, i don't have much advice since my hair seems to be pretty flat most of the time. and although holly marie combs' hair is pretty awesome, don't forget she has loads of people to *make* it look awesome and has a *huge* amount of money to make it that way. not to discourage you, i'm all for having hair idols. i think as your hair health increases, you'll like it more, and it makes you special. when i see people with naturally curly hair, it's so beautiful to me. don't hate the curls! as to the moisture mask, if you do it every once in a while, it shouldn't hurt.

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know much about dyes, but I think your natural coloring is cool. Your undertone appears to be pink, so stay away from orangey reds.

thanks for the advice! i'm hopefully not going to end up too orange, i will keep that in mind when i'm looking around . :)

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM
yay! i'm super happy you found something that worked for you! as for the smooth/sleek look, i don't have much advice since my hair seems to be pretty flat most of the time. and although holly marie combs' hair is pretty awesome, don't forget she has loads of people to *make* it look awesome and has a *huge* amount of money to make it that way. not to discourage you, i'm all for having hair idols. i think as your hair health increases, you'll like it more, and it makes you special. when i see people with naturally curly hair, it's so beautiful to me. don't hate the curls! as to the moisture mask, if you do it every once in a while, it shouldn't hurt.

Yeah..somehow I keep thinking dear Holly rolls out of bed with perfect hair...something tells me I'm wrong lol. I hold true to the idea her hair is like 2c or so, but she NEVER wear it that way, darn her! I wish I had a group of people to make my hair awsome, then I think I'd be alright, but thats not going to happen...Your not discouraging me, I understand what you mean, she'll always be my hair idol (and Idol in general) but sometimes I need to work with what I've got which is thick, curly, soemtimes too poofy hair. Thank you for the complements on curly hair in general, I prefer straight on me but its just not an option without alot of damage, another thing is I'm so fickle, I want straight and full hair but we all know the only way curly hair truly "straightens" is by flatning it sadly...I will find a way somehow, it might take a bit though. I just love Holly Marie Combs's hair SO much, and mine just seems messy (in a bad way) and undone instead, it makes me feel so not polished or pretty...ick

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah..somehow I keep thinking dear Holly rolls out of bed with perfect hair...something tells me I'm wrong lol. I hold true to the idea her hair is like 2c or so, but she NEVER wear it that way, darn her! I wish I had a group of people to make my hair awsome, then I think I'd be alright, but thats not going to happen...Your not discouraging me, I understand what you mean, she'll always be my hair idol (and Idol in general) but sometimes I need to work with what I've got which is thick, curly, soemtimes too poofy hair. Thank you for the complements on curly hair in general, I prefer straight on me but its just not an option without alot of damage, another thing is I'm so fickle, I want straight and full hair but we all know the only way curly hair truly "straightens" is by flatning it sadly...I will find a way somehow, it might take a bit though. I just love Holly Marie Combs's hair SO much, and mine just seems messy (in a bad way) and undone instead, it makes me feel so not polished or pretty...ick

sometimes i get that mentality too. the other day, i tried to make bun waves. but my ends are so dry that it ended up being crunchy bunched up stringy blob of kinky hair.
in retrospect, it was hilarious, but i know how you feel with the feeling unpolished. i go to a private college where most of the people are upper middle class, and all the girls have seemingly perfect hair/clothes/makeup etc. i find being imperfect has its perks, people aren't as scared to interact with you (usually). and it makes you interesting. since you're using a shampoo with sulfates, have you tried using a heavier leave-in conditioner to maybe stretch the waves out? seeing as my hair is the thickness of a pencil (lol, not really, but close) what works for me probably won't for you, unfortunately.

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
http://lasthairmodels.com/2011/05/08/sara-rues-long-red-hairstyle/sara-rue-2/

supposedly this lady's hair stylist bleaches her hair then colors it with cinnaberry/ spiced tea mixture. now that is stunning!

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
sometimes i get that mentality too. the other day, i tried to make bun waves. but my ends are so dry that it ended up being crunchy bunched up stringy blob of kinky hair.
in retrospect, it was hilarious, but i know how you feel with the feeling unpolished. i go to a private college where most of the people are upper middle class, and all the girls have seemingly perfect hair/clothes/makeup etc. i find being imperfect has its perks, people aren't as scared to interact with you (usually). and it makes you interesting. since you're using a shampoo with sulfates, have you tried using a heavier leave-in conditioner to maybe stretch the waves out? seeing as my hair is the thickness of a pencil (lol, not really, but close) what works for me probably won't for you, unfortunately.

I'm sorry the bun waves didn't work, have you tried sock bun curls, they make the ends look better. Its hard feeling imperfect as a perfectionist, especially because I watch Charmed 24/7 and seeing Holly's polished hair and natural but beautiful and approachable look, I just want to capture that. I understand feeling imperfect in that crowd, but most of those girls feel the same way, sad but true. I'm sure your better than you think, but I know how hard it is. My hair well, its ALOT bigger then a pencil, about 4.25 in a ponytail...so I'm of little to no help to you, but I'll try:). I might take soem cone free heavy conditioner (to avoid build up) or maybe even that cone containing moisture mask I just bought and mix it with seom water, spray on my hair and then set it into curl stretching no heat curls, maybe I'll get some shine and smoothness. Another thing is that along with curly I suspect my hair of being kinda coarse and it just looks rough, not shiny or silky just...ugh. Who knows, I'll figure it out soemtime. We both will.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
http://lasthairmodels.com/2011/05/08/sara-rues-long-red-hairstyle/sara-rue-2/

supposedly this lady's hair stylist bleaches her hair then colors it with cinnaberry/ spiced tea mixture. now that is stunning!

WOW!!! Maybe you could get a similar result sans the bleaching? Does it give you the ratio of each color? That color looks PERFECT for you!

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry the bun waves didn't work, have you tried sock bun curls, they make the ends look better. Its hard feeling imperfect as a perfectionist, especially because I watch Charmed 24/7 and seeing Holly's polished hair and natural but beautiful and approachable look, I just want to capture that. I understand feeling imperfect in that crowd, but most of those girls feel the same way, sad but true. I'm sure your better than you think, but I know how hard it is. My hair well, its ALOT bigger then a pencil, about 4.25 in a ponytail...so I'm of little to no help to you, but I'll try:). I might take soem cone free heavy conditioner (to avoid build up) or maybe even that cone containing moisture mask I just bought and mix it with seom water, spray on my hair and then set it into curl stretching no heat curls, maybe I'll get some shine and smoothness. Another thing is that along with curly I suspect my hair of being kinda coarse and it just looks rough, not shiny or silky just...ugh. Who knows, I'll figure it out soemtime. We both will.

as my former english teacher always says: patience is a virtue! our hair will end up so much better for it! :D

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
WOW!!! Maybe you could get a similar result sans the bleaching? Does it give you the ratio of each color? That color looks PERFECT for you!

umm... he said he switched back and forth between the two, with cinnaberry making it the darker tone (i'm seeing pictures of her with the lighter orangy tone as well). i just saw that picture and was like :agape: especially since she has fine hair as well. it's so beautiful! so jealous!

eta: this is what the website says:
Robert confided that to get the deep cinnamon and berry stained effect "he first uses professional powder bleach on Sara's hair (approximately 10 volume) to get a good color lift".

After he rinses out the bleach he "applies semi-permanent Clairol Natural Instincts color in alternating hues depending on Sara's mood". He loves the Natural Instincts product "because it has a high pigment and stains wonderfully".

Robert explained that he "applies the bleach first" because by itself the "Clairol Natural Instincts doesn't provide any color lifting".

He told me "applying the Natural Instincts on top of the newly bleached strands works perfectly to create that deeply stained color and shine effect".

I pumped Robert for the exact Clairol shades he selects for Sara. He confessed "he usually selects the #22 - Cinnaberry along with #16 Spiced Tea depending on the color he is trying to create". Robert confirmed "Cinnaberry definitely gives Sara's hue that deep cinnamon shade while the Spiced Tea is a little lighter in auburn tones".

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:22 PM
umm... he said he switched back and forth between the two, with cinnaberry making it the darker tone (i'm seeing pictures of her with the lighter orangy tone as well). i just saw that picture and was like :agape: especially since she has fine hair as well. it's so beautiful! so jealous!

Yeah, you'd be suprised at how few celebrites actually have thick or coarse hair, even Piper (who is a bit, alright ALOT of the exception in great celebrity hair) probably has M/C, ii/iii(3.5 ponytail probably) and 2b/2c hair, so her's isn't overally thick, but thick for Hollywood, (care to hairtype her for me if you know about her well enough...I ask all her like her this because I'm just sorta obsessed...) Many stars have fine/thinner hair I noticed. I say go for the color maybe do a two step like the model does? Make sure to do plenty of DT and such, but if you liek the color, its only semi permanet so give it a go!

leslissocool
April 30th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'd say go for it, I think it's going to look quite great! Do a strand test with the manic panic, it might not look unnatural at all.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM

eta: this is what the website says:
Robert confided that to get the deep cinnamon and berry stained effect "he first uses professional powder bleach on Sara's hair (approximately 10 volume) to get a good color lift".

After he rinses out the bleach he "applies semi-permanent Clairol Natural Instincts color in alternating hues depending on Sara's mood". He loves the Natural Instincts product "because it has a high pigment and stains wonderfully".

Robert explained that he "applies the bleach first" because by itself the "Clairol Natural Instincts doesn't provide any color lifting".

He told me "applying the Natural Instincts on top of the newly bleached strands works perfectly to create that deeply stained color and shine effect".

I pumped Robert for the exact Clairol shades he selects for Sara. He confessed "he usually selects the #22 - Cinnaberry along with #16 Spiced Tea depending on the color he is trying to create". Robert confirmed "Cinnaberry definitely gives Sara's hue that deep cinnamon shade while the Spiced Tea is a little lighter in auburn tones".

Wow, so maybe try the cinnaberry then apply the spiced tea in one day? Or mix 50/50? I wouldn't bleach, you hair is neautral enough it seems to produce a rich colored effect.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
as my former english teacher always says: patience is a virtue! our hair will end up so much better for it! :D

Oh I HOPE so, I'm still waiting..anytime hair! Lol:D

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
i epic-ly fail at hair typing, to be honest. i couldn't even type my own hair right lol! and, i think since the color looks darker than mine, i won't need to bleach it. i think he said he only bleached it to make it last longer. i would rather try just the dye, then if it wasn't red enough attempt a permanent. otherwise if i do bleach and it turns out crazy, i can't fix it. lol. don't worry, i plan on stocking up on some gvp conditioning balm (i've heard it's super moisturizing, without cones) and leave in conditioner, before i even think about purchasing the dye. girl scouts, always be prepared! :D

eta: i type too slow.. you guys already said that, sorry lol

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM
i epic-ly fail at hair typing, to be honest. i couldn't even type my own hair right lol! and, i think since the color looks darker than mine, i won't need to bleach it. i think he said he only bleached it to make it last longer. i would rather try just the dye, then if it wasn't red enough attempt a permanent. otherwise if i do bleach and it turns out crazy, i can't fix it. lol. don't worry, i plan on stocking up on some gvp conditioning balm (i've heard it's super moisturizing, without cones) and leave in conditioner, before i even think about purchasing the dye. girl scouts, always be prepared! :D

eta: i type too slow.. you guys already said that, sorry lol

Thats quite alright, hair typing is hard! Thats why i ask other to type Piper's hair lol! you sound all set, good luck and post pics! Whats the conditioning balm you plan on getting? I want some! Moisture and cone free, I'm in!

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Thats quite alright, hair typing is hard! Thats why i ask other to type Piper's hair lol! you sound all set, good luck and post pics! Whats the conditioning balm you plan on getting? I want some! Moisture and cone free, I'm in!

the conditioning balm is from sally beauty supply, it's actually a generic of matrix biolage conditioning balm. there's reviews on the matrix one in the review section. i've checked out makeupalley and a few other places, most of the reviews are good. i'm on the hunt for a nice conditioning cone free since i'm attempting to switch to co wash, and the conditioners i use to clean are really light and don't moisturize well. i think it's around $6 for 16 oz, instead of the name brand that's around $18 for much less (8 oz i believe). either way, i'm cheap :D i plan on dying it this weekend, since i have exams i gotta cram for. i will let you guys know how it goes! :cheese: thanks for the advice/encouragement to everyone that responded!

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
the conditioning balm is from sally beauty supply, it's actually a generic of matrix biolage conditioning balm. there's reviews on the matrix one in the review section. i've checked out makeupalley and a few other places, most of the reviews are good. i'm on the hunt for a nice conditioning cone free since i'm attempting to switch to co wash, and the conditioners i use to clean are really light and don't moisturize well. i think it's around $6 for 16 oz, instead of the name brand that's around $18 for much less (8 oz i believe). either way, i'm cheap :D i plan on dying it this weekend, since i have exams i gotta cram for. i will let you guys know how it goes! :cheese: thanks for the advice/encouragement to everyone that responded!

Is the generic the old formula or new? The new version of the balm has cones in it now, if its the old formulation, i am so getting some, I have a Sally's near me so yay! I hope all goes well, its gonna be beautiful! Good luck on exams!

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Is the generic the old formula or new? The new version of the balm has cones in it now, if its the old formulation, i am so getting some, I have a Sally's near me so yay! I hope all goes well, its gonna be beautiful! Good luck on exams!

according to the website, the generic is cone free, here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate

looks like no cones here! (and, hopefully the website is correct) and thanks for the luck, i need it! (organic chemistry=death)

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
according to the website, the generic is cone free, here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate

looks like no cones here! (and, hopefully the website is correct) and thanks for the luck, i need it! (organic chemistry=death)

I'll be going to Sally's to get this soon hopefully yay! Wait...I JUST found a product that works...no touching anythign else for me, darn it! But if I need moisture, this is what I'm getting if that mask I got doesn't work...Organic Chemistry...ick, but math is the WORST! (any sort of math, hate it all!)

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM
sad day... i showed the picture to my hairstylist friend and she was like 'no it'll pull out the red in your face'. meh. i might still do it anyways, at least a strand test. besides, it'll wash out eventually.
and of course she wants me to let her 'do' it. which means extreme backcombing. and probably cutting it short. and blonde *shrieks* nooooo

MagicalMystery
April 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Yes to red (do I ever say no? :P). With your skin tone I'd aim for a cooler red. What dye do you plan on using?

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Yes to red (do I ever say no? :P). With your skin tone I'd aim for a cooler red. What dye do you plan on using?

i'm leaning towards natural instincts in cinnaberry. i've googled people's results, and although they're somewhat mixed, i *think* it's more burgundy based than orange.

i think there's a link earlier in the thread of the color i'd like, but here it is again
http://www.beautyriot.com/celebrities/sara-rue/photo-sara-rue-long-straight-romantic-red-hairstyle-pid10081

the guy who dyed her hair says he used cinnaberry.

lacefrost
April 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM
You're beautiful. Red would look great on you With your natural color, you wouldn't have to bleach.

amanda_the_tall
April 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
You're beautiful. Red would look great on you With your natural color, you wouldn't have to bleach.

daww thank you! :flower: thanks for the encouragement, you're beautiful as well!

amanda_the_tall
May 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
just an update: i went to get the dye today, and they didn't have it! *but* they did have one that was next to where it would have been, it was natural instincts creme. it's just medium auburn instead of medium auburn brown, it looked really pretty and berry tinted, so i got it. it actually looks closer to the original color i wanted, here's a link to what it looks like

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=natural+instincts+raspberry+creme&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbnid=mRMjNiIG0YdIpM:&imgrefurl=http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Product/3241912/Clairol-Natural-Instincts-Rich-Color-Creme-Hair-Color-Raspberry-Creme-Rich-Medium-Auburn&docid=vUNwNRsdYfm2kM&imgurl=http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/003/305/700/trimmed/3305579_1757700_trimmed.jpg&w=264&h=448&ei=gwGjT_jrOZCm8ASG7KjhCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=409&vpy=112&dur=31&hovh=293&hovw=172&tx=104&ty=153&sig=108769529211557521241&page=1&tbnh=158&tbnw=95&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

we'll see monday how it turns out! *hopefully it won't be drying since it's a cream formulation*

Hollyfire3
May 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
just an update: i went to get the dye today, and they didn't have it! *but* they did have one that was next to where it would have been, it was natural instincts creme. it's just medium auburn instead of medium auburn brown, it looked really pretty and berry tinted, so i got it. it actually looks closer to the original color i wanted, here's a link to what it looks like

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=natural+instincts+raspberry+creme&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbnid=mRMjNiIG0YdIpM:&imgrefurl=http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Product/3241912/Clairol-Natural-Instincts-Rich-Color-Creme-Hair-Color-Raspberry-Creme-Rich-Medium-Auburn&docid=vUNwNRsdYfm2kM&imgurl=http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/003/305/700/trimmed/3305579_1757700_trimmed.jpg&w=264&h=448&ei=gwGjT_jrOZCm8ASG7KjhCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=409&vpy=112&dur=31&hovh=293&hovw=172&tx=104&ty=153&sig=108769529211557521241&page=1&tbnh=158&tbnw=95&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

we'll see monday how it turns out! *hopefully it won't be drying since it's a cream formulation*

I like this one better! Very nice. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be great!

amanda_the_tall
May 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I like this one better! Very nice. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be great!

i do too! and thanks :D

Vanille_
May 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I love Manic Panic Vampire Red. It's in my album (it changes depending on the light. I've seen people dip their ends in it. It's a semi-permanant that fades out and doesn't damage.

ETA: I just saw your last posts. I hope the color comes out great. Can't wait to see pics!

amanda_the_tall
May 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I love Manic Panic Vampire Red. It's in my album (it changes depending on the light. I've seen people dip their ends in it. It's a semi-permanant that fades out and doesn't damage.

ETA: I just saw your last posts. I hope the color comes out great. Can't wait to see pics!

thanks vanille! i *love* your hair. i'll look into the manic panic if this experiment goes well, lol.

Vanille_
May 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
thanks vanille! i *love* your hair. i'll look into the manic panic if this experiment goes well, lol.

Thank you :flowers:

The thing I like most about it is that I didn't have to lighten my dark brown hair. The downside, is that it bleeds on my pillow. But it washes out easily.

amanda_the_tall
May 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
hey guys!
just wanted to update you, i'm soaking my hair in coconut oil right now, i'll be doing a test strand tomorrow morning, and if that turns out ok, hopefully by tomorrow evening i'll have pictures! :D

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
eek!
the strand test turned out awesome, it's definitely red but my brown color toned it down a lot. it's perfect, at least on this strand! i was super nervous because the dye was BRIGHT red- orange! fixin to do the rest of my head. hopefully it all turns out the same! :D

marykatz
May 7th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Love all your pictures; your gorgeous! I can't wait to see the results of your hair color. I have been thinking of using the same brand of dye to even out all the different colors on my head but I am afraid it is damaging. Please let me know how it comes!

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
i'm (not so) patiently waiting for my hair to air dry. the conditioner packet in this dye is AMAZING. it smells pretty good too. and marykatz if you do decide to dye with natural instincts, make sure you throw away the 2 week refresher packet. every single review i've read said it turned their hair bright orange, no matter if they bought a brown dye or a blonde. i just threw mine away. my hair looks dark, but i can see burgundy tones in it. eep! and one side definitely had dye on it longer than the other because i'm so slow. hopefully it'll be somewhat even

eta: holy crap. i just looked at my roots, which seem to dry faster than everything else. it's like a purple red color. bahahhaahhaha. i'm hoping it doesn't end up super bright.

utdesertrunner
May 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I think it would beautiful on you! And btw..you are not scarey at all....I thought you looked beautiful in the photo :)

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM
OH NO
it isn't even! a couple of pieces of my hair are still brown! aghh. i will post pictures as soon as i get them. i've never messed up this bad. at least it should wash out

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 09:10 AM
i just completely resaturated my head with the dye. i might've gotten some on my scalp but it'll wash off. hopefully that will get the brown parts. and my mom isn't going to be home as early as she said so i'm glad, otherwise she'd walk in with me having ketchup hair. lol.

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3450452412504&set=a.3345393026085.2138494.1006533611&type=1&theater

picture!
it turned out burgundy/crazy red colored, so i might have to go over it with a brown dye before saturday (when i work) if it doesn't fade some