PDA

View Full Version : Straightening hair and growing to waist? Is it possible without ruining hair?

kmarie99
April 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I know straightening hair is extremely frowned upon here and for a good reason. I'm aware of how damaging it is but I also know my hair is fairly resilient.

I already know that my hair can grow to waist and beyond while being heat styled daily AND chemically dyed. However, it felt awful constantly. I of course knew nothing about hair back then. I was using awful straighteners that I had to pass over the hair dozens of times in order to get my hair straight.

Now, I haven't straightened my hair in about 4 months and it feels a million times better. I stopped dyeing it with chemical dyes. I dye it with henna and veggie based dyes now. There is still some damage but I'm almost positive that is from when I bleached a few chunks in my hair.
My hair is currently BSL in the back and APL in the front (yay layers?). I'm aiming for waist. I'd like to be able to straighten my hair still without ruining it's texture because , well, I love the look of straight hair! Plus I'm trying to grow out my layers and I don't enjoy the layered look on my thick wavy hair.

I've tried heat free methods but they give my hair too much volume.
Does anyone have any experiences with weekly heat use? I aim to try to train my hair to allow my to stretch washes that long.
Also, does anyone know if this straightener is decent? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MY14J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2PEVSXOHL5WBI

BeckyAH
April 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I don't know if *you* can or not, but people go long while doing all sorts of things - from straightening to bleaching. If you can get there with a result you're happy with depends on your hair, and what exactly you want out of it - your tolerance for some damage, and how much damage you do or don't get, basically.

And, really, waist length really isn't one of the extreme lengths. If you were asking about ankle I'd be more inclined to say that you're self-defeating but waist? Probably not as much.

lolot
April 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM
i think is possible since pre LHC i had tbl hair and i use to straighten, my hair is fine and it grew but i think you have to take more care of it, i didnt straighten it weekly thought, but maybe your hair is more resistant
i dont know much about straigthing tools, sorry

kmarie99
April 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I don't know if *you* can or not, but people go long while doing all sorts of things - from straightening to bleaching. If you can get there with a result you're happy with depends on your hair, and what exactly you want out of it - your tolerance for some damage, and how much damage you do or don't get, basically.

And, really, waist length really isn't one of the extreme lengths. If you were asking about ankle I'd be more inclined to say that you're self-defeating but waist? Probably not as much.
Thank you for answering.

That what I was thinking. If I successfully got to waist without much damage, I would probably stop straightening because that length is long enough to weigh my hair down naturally. Then I could aim for classic, which is my true goal.

Zhennni(:
April 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Umm Im not sure if this is a good suggestion but.....personally I had a straight perm about four years ago and it lasted til this day...my hair is super straight except my shortest layers. Anyways, my hair was pretty damaged but I trimmed off about two iches and started taking really good care of it, it is fairly healthy right now, I am about an inch past waist. My hair is very strong and coarse so yeap:p

kmarie99
April 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Umm Im not sure if this is a good suggestion but.....personally I had a straight perm about four years ago and it lasted til this day...my hair is super straight except my shortest layers. Anyways, my hair was pretty damaged but I trimmed off about two iches and started taking really good care of it, it is fairly healthy right now, I am about an inch past waist. My hair is very strong and coarse so yeap:p

How wavy/curly was your hair before the perm?

Zhennni(:
April 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM
And I also heard henna can "straighten" your hair out a bit and thats what I am trying to do:P since my shortest layers are not permed they are sort of wavy. Btw does anyone know if henna only straigtens your hair when applied full strength or does glosses straighten also?

BeckyAH
April 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you for answering.

That what I was thinking. If I successfully got to waist without much damage, I would probably stop straightening because that length is long enough to weigh my hair down naturally. Then I could aim for classic, which is my true goal.

We're the same hair type ;-) I just cut layers into my hair to bring the curl back, because near waist the weight was pulling the curls out. So I have no trouble believing that you'll have an easier time with it longer. Also the thing to remember is that in trimming layers out, you're going to be getting regular trims, which will help.

Zhennni(:
April 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I would say about 1 b 1 c, my hair was shorter than shoulder when I permed it and it was pre LHC i didnt pay attention :P

kmarie99
April 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
And I also heard henna can "straighten" your hair out a bit and thats what I am trying to do:P since my shortest layers are not permed they are sort of wavy. Btw does anyone know if henna only straigtens your hair when applied full strength or does glosses straighten also?

It definitely helps. It smoothed out the frizz my curl pattern has. If you're worried about the color, and that's why you want to use a gloss, cassia supposedly has the same straightening and conditioning effects and it doesn't impart any color.

MoonlightShadow
April 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Yes it's possible :) it just may need a little more extra care

Mononoke
April 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I hope it's Ok I'm linking to my question here, but I thought maybe some participants of this thread might have experience with permanent straightening?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92842

C.H.
April 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM
It depends on the individual hair type, but it can definitely be done. Back in the day my hair was waist length and was being straightened weekly - had been for years. It looked pretty darn good. I stopped doing it mostly out of principle and also because it's just waaay too much work with this much hair.

Dragon
April 30th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Since you have grown to waist before while heat styling, I think it may be possible to grow it that long with it being in reasonable health with a bit of extra care.

sharicat
April 30th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Apparently Cloud 9 straighteners as excellent as they don't need to be as hot to get good results. Designed by the guy who created GHDs.

I have awful kinky frizzy waves in the top part of my hair (since pregnancy) and I have to straighten it or I just look like a scarecrow. I keep the heat as low as possible, and use a heat protection spray and only straighten every 3 or 4 days, after air drying. My hair is still shiny so it is coping OK.

I have used cassia twice and it thickened my hair slightly, although this is only a temporary effect for me as my hair is so non-porous.

julliams
April 30th, 2012, 03:17 AM
When I was in my 20's I heat styled every 3 - 4 days, I never used any kind of heat protectant and my hair was past waist. I would say that it was reasonably healthy but my ends were breaking off in the end. I think this was also because I only got it cut every 6 months. I would think that if you are happy with your hair, then why not? I would use a protectant and follow each straightening with a mositure treatment the next time you wash. And I would have my ends trimmed every 3 months at least. My theory on all that steam coming out of my bone dry hair when straightening is moisture being steamed out of your hair. Eventually it looses it's silky look and becomes very strawlike and not shiney at all. That was when I decided enough was enough and stopped heat styling altogether.

I would think that using a blowdrier and brush on almost dry hair would be the least damaging heat straightening method if this works for you.

DarkSky
April 30th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Most certainly possible!! I used to straighten every 4 days and reached waist a few times in my life with very little breakage and splits. I think a lot of what your hair can tolerate depends on your hair porosity and texture. I have low porosity and medium/course hair and it seems to be pretty resilient against the heat torture to some extent. I've seen others though that have a much different experience and you can really see the heat damage over time which will prevent them from getting long lengths. As a side note about hair porosity: I notice not many people on this forum talk about it but its a big factor over on the naturally curly site. It plays a big role in product choice and styling method.

florenonite
April 30th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I'd just recommend making other parts of your routine gentler to compensate, like sleeping on a satin pillowcase, doing a deep oiling or SMT before washing, and wearing protective styles near the end of the week.

ETA: For what it's worth, though, I love your natural texture.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
When I was in my 20's I heat styled every 3 - 4 days, I never used any kind of heat protectant and my hair was past waist. I would say that it was reasonably healthy but my ends were breaking off in the end. I think this was also because I only got it cut every 6 months. I would think that if you are happy with your hair, then why not? I would use a protectant and follow each straightening with a mositure treatment the next time you wash. And I would have my ends trimmed every 3 months at least. My theory on all that steam coming out of my bone dry hair when straightening is moisture being steamed out of your hair. Eventually it looses it's silky look and becomes very strawlike and not shiney at all. That was when I decided enough was enough and stopped heat styling altogether.

I would think that using a blowdrier and brush on almost dry hair would be the least damaging heat straightening method if this works for you.

That tends to just stretch out my wave pattern which looks odd. I blowdry on cold though so that could be why.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I guess you could attempt this...my hair is thick and fairly strong but I couldn't grow past BSL with daily straightening (with heat protectant) my hair is not fine standed but it became dry and brittle and was breaking off, the curl is now permentaly altered in a not pretty way unless I work really hard to get it back, my hair is still dry and brittle but not breaking because I chopped 5 inches off last year, it may not work, but it might for you, I just say use lots of conditioning treatments and such to try and keep the damage minimal, good luck

Amanah
April 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I work with a woman with very nice looking waist length hair who gets her hair straightened with some sort of Keratin treatment, plus she dyes her hair dark brown to cover the grays. She oils the ends with Moroccan oil every night and does not use sulfates. She just turned 50 and looks amazing as well as having amazing looking hair.

I'm pretty sure that if i did to my hair what she does to her, mine would break off at the scalp.

barely.there
April 30th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I love the look of pin straight hair too. But I have found other ways to style my hair while its down so it still looks good...and then every other week use the straightener. I only wash my hair every 3 days, so it stays straight for that long.... There's a difference between straightening your hair every day, and using it once every couple weeks.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I love the look of pin straight hair too. But I have found other ways to style my hair while its down so it still looks good...and then every other week use the straightener. I only wash my hair every 3 days, so it stays straight for that long.... There's a difference between straightening your hair every day, and using it once every couple weeks.

Good point, but anyone with more than a little wave to their hair may have to straighten more then once between washings, I know I would straighten my hair the morning after a night wash, but by the next day it would be 2b or so in texture, it was never really straight for very long, I tried creams, serums, sprays all sorts of things and I washed ever 2-3 days, but my hair still went wavy by the end of day 1. I ended up basically straightening daily because of the waves that would come back, and I am paying for it now, the OP might have better experiences though.

barely.there
April 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Good point, but anyone with more than a little wave to their hair may have to straighten more then once between washings, I know I would straighten my hair the morning after a night wash, but by the next day it would be 2b or so in texture, it was never really straight for very long, I tried creams, serums, sprays all sorts of things and I washed ever 2-3 days, but my hair still went wavy by the end of day 1. I ended up basically straightening daily because of the waves that would come back, and I am paying for it now, the OP might have better experiences though.

Of course, you have curlier hair than me. Mine can go curly or straight, while yours is more dominantly curly. so, being a curly head, straightening would ruin the natural structure of your hair. You and the OP have similar hair structure...so she should take this into consideration.

Straightening damages my hair as well, although probably not to the degree it does for curly heads.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Of course, you have curlier hair than me. Mine can go curly or straight, while yours is more dominantly curly. so, being a curly head, straightening would ruin the natural structure of your hair. You and the OP have similar hair structure...so she should take this into consideration.

Straightening damages my hair as well, although probably not to the degree it does for curly heads.

Yes, I hope the OP does take this into consideration...not even a year ago, this thread would have been my argument for my straightening habit...I too wanted to grow long hair (wl or HL) while striaghteing, it never worked, I had to trim every 6 weeks and if I didn't my ends broke off and tapered like crazy, the heat ruined my curls and my hair was always dull and icky...straight hair is nice, but healthy hair is better IMO, then again, I have had a TERRIBLE run in with months of curl loss I am just getting back (with this new shampoo and conditioner and lots of luck) some curl...I just would hate to see someone make the same mistake...but it could be different for the OP, I'm not saying I'm better because I don't striaghten anymore, I am just saying that straightening did not work for me and trust me, I gave it my best shot.

spidermom
April 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know about your hair, of course, but occasional straightening pretty much destroyed my ends. The damage didn't show up until my length was between BSL and waist. I had to give up 5-6 inches and go back to APL. Since then, I've straightened once per year or less.

Vampyria
April 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure if it's possible, because I have really bad experience with it.

I straightened my hair every week and I almost got to waist. But my hair looked and felt terrible. The ends became really thin and were breaking all the time. I haven't straightened my hair for a year and had to cut all the damage off. I also sold my straightener so I'm not tempted in using it again all though my hair is a bit straighter now and I don't really need it anymore.

But your hair might be more resilient, mine tends to get dry and starts to break really quickly even without using heat.

I wouldn't know about the flat iron from your link, but I have heard that GA.MA straighteners are suppose to be really good.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I don't know about your hair, of course, but occasional straightening pretty much destroyed my ends. The damage didn't show up until my length was between BSL and waist. I had to give up 5-6 inches and go back to APL. Since then, I've straightened once per year or less.

That's when damage showed up for me in the past. U
But I was straightening and curling without heat protected and dyeing my hair every couple months, with no moisture treatments or oiling. Did you moisture treat your hair or oil it during the time period you were straightening?

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, I hope the OP does take this into consideration...not even a year ago, this thread would have been my argument for my straightening habit...I too wanted to grow long hair (wl or HL) while striaghteing, it never worked, I had to trim every 6 weeks and if I didn't my ends broke off and tapered like crazy, the heat ruined my curls and my hair was always dull and icky...straight hair is nice, but healthy hair is better IMO, then again, I have had a TERRIBLE run in with months of curl loss I am just getting back (with this new shampoo and conditioner and lots of luck) some curl...I just would hate to see someone make the same mistake...but it could be different for the OP, I'm not saying I'm better because I don't striaghten anymore, I am just saying that straightening did not work for me and trust me, I gave it my best shot.

Thank you for the advice! My hair is like partially 1c and partially 2c so I'm not sure how close to your hair type it is but I'll take that into consideration.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if it's possible, because I have really bad experience with it.

I straightened my hair every week and I almost got to waist. But my hair looked and felt terrible. The ends became really thin and were breaking all the time. I haven't straightened my hair for a year and had to cut all the damage off. I also sold my straightener so I'm not tempted in using it again all though my hair is a bit straighter now and I don't really need it anymore.

But your hair might be more resilient, mine tends to get dry and starts to break really quickly even without using heat.

I wouldn't know about the flat iron from your link, but I have heard that GA.MA straighteners are suppose to be really good.

My hair was just as you described, breaking and thin ends, almost to waist, I don't think it really matter ALL that much what flat iron you use, its still heat, some make the hair look better but its damaged underneath that..now here's a question for the OP, why straighten your hair and grow long when it will be a constant battle against damage? I am not being rude, I hope I'm not, but have you tried no heat methods or useing heavy, coney creams to weigh the hair down?

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the advice! My hair is like partially 1c and partially 2c so I'm not sure how close to your hair type it is but I'll take that into consideration.

My hair is solidly 2c most of the time, but the under layer is 1c sometimes, I just hope you make the right decision for you, whatever it may be, I will help all I can with this.:) Your welcome for the advice, no problem.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
My hair was just as you described, breaking and thin ends, almost to waist, I don't think it really matter ALL that much what flat iron you use, its still heat, some make the hair look better but its damaged underneath that..now here's a question for the OP, why straighten your hair and grow long when it will be a constant battle against damage? I am not being rude, I hope I'm not, but have you tried no heat methods or useing heavy, coney creams to weigh the hair down?

I tried hair wrapping but it made my hair rather poofy. I've heard of Caruso steamrollers but I didn't know how they work or if they will work for my hair. Coney conditioner makes my hair feel waxy

shutterpillar
April 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have not used a single bit of heat for almost a full month now and my hair has never felt better, compared to when I used to flat iron it 2-3 times per week. I have also never been able to grow beyond BSL because I HAD to keep getting crazy amounts of trims to rid my hair of all the damage that heat styling was doing.

I really think it depends on your hair. My sister for example, dyes, bleaches, heat styles, and puts insane amounts of product in her hair on a daily basis and she still has pretty decent nearly waist length hair. BUT, I do not think she would be able to go anywhere beyond that. I am aiming for waist+, so I have to give up the heat or else I will never get there. Thats just a fact for my hair.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I tried hair wrapping but it made my hair rather poofy. I've heard of Caruso steamrollers but I didn't know how they work or if they will work for my hair. Coney conditioner makes my hair feel waxy

Hmmm...have you heard of trying lime and coconut milk as a natural curl relaxer? Normally its used by African Americans who don't want to use a real relaxer, maybe this would be better? I understand the poofyness, not sure why I said heat free methods would work...they give me poofy hair too. Do al cones not work for you? Maybe use a straightening balm and air dry while combing? I used to slather smoothing straightening cream on damp hair and comb like crazy, it took most of the wave out. Caruso rollers sound promising, you can get HUGE (like coke can sized) rollers and use them on your hair to straighten it, I'm sure Ultrabella would be of help, she loves these steam rollers. If they can work on her ultra-thick coarse hair, i'm sure you will have no problem. :)

sarahbrownie
April 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Yes and No.

I'm probably a minority on the board, I'm a heat user and see really no problem with it. Our hair is to be enjoyed. What's the point of it if you can't have fun with it and wear it in styles that makes you happy and feel pretty?

I think you can grow it out but it will take longer. When I use heat I see more of those little white dots (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) at the ends of my hair more than when I did a few months without heat. I've been going out on dates and interviews so I've been heat styling a little bit more regularly than I usually do. I can tell it does take it's toll on my ends but they're doing alright and haven't gone velcro-y yet. But, I really don't care if I get some damage, it's just hair. It grows. Like I said, have fun with it, and as long as you are taking the necessary precautions that comes with heat styling it shouldn't be nightmare-bad.

I actually iron my hair at 400 F (I have pretty resistant hair) then stop 3/4ths of the way and straighten with a lower heat setting at 325 F. When my hair feels a little ratted from heat styling I put in a few teaspoons of Ojon (http://www.sephora.com/damage-reverse-restorative-hair-treatment-plus-P299707?skuId=1383199) through my hair overnight and it's a 100% better after my morning wash.

I'd say invest in a better iron than the Babyliss. The plates really make a difference and after a few wears the coating can wear away and pull hairs.

If you have frizzy hair I can't recommend enough the Living Proof (http://www.livingproof.com/no-frizz/) line. It actually helps prelong washing and makes it resistant to frizz. My mom is always like "it's raining outside, why is your hair straight and not looking like Mia Themopolis today?" and I explain how well Living Proof is. They have a Straight line too if your hair is resistant to frizz. A good dry shampoo might help too (I do not recommend the Tresemme line, it is awful!) prolonging washes.

Since you want to prolong washes, I'm going to recommend the ultimate LHC sin as suggest maybe doing a keratin treatment, that way you don't have to iron it so much? I'm in the NYC area so they're are really cheap deals through Lifebooker (kinda like a groupon for beauty services), where most keratin treatments go for 75%-85% off the original price. I don't know where you are but maybe see if they have a Lifebooker near you? I'm also waiting for more reviews on the One n' Only Keratin Treatment (http://www.folica.com/hair-care/keratin-treatments/one-n-only-brazilian-tech-keratin-smoothing-system) before I do a keratin treatment at home. Maybe try the Organix Keratin Treatment, I've heard really good things about it, the only thing that keeps me from doing it is that it last 15-30 days depending on how much you wash your hair and it has to be an SLS free shampoo.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yes and No.

I'm probably a minority on the board, I'm a heat user and see really no problem with it. Our hair is to be enjoyed. What's the point of it if you can't have fun with it and wear it in styles that makes you happy and feel pretty?

I think you can grow it out but it will take longer. When I use heat I see more of those little white dots (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) at the ends of my hair more than when I did a few months without heat. I've been going out on dates and interviews so I've been heat styling a little bit more regularly than I usually do. I can tell it does take it's toll on my ends but they're doing alright and haven't gone velcro-y yet. But, I really don't care if I get some damage, it's just hair. It grows. Like I said, have fun with it, and as long as you are taking the necessary precautions that comes with heat styling it shouldn't be nightmare-bad.

I actually iron my hair at 400 F (I have pretty resistant hair) then stop 3/4ths of the way and straighten with a lower heat setting at 325 F. When my hair feels a little ratted from heat styling I put in a few teaspoons of Ojon (http://www.sephora.com/damage-reverse-restorative-hair-treatment-plus-P299707?skuId=1383199) through my hair overnight and it's a 100% better after my morning wash.

I'd say invest in a better iron than the Babyliss. The plates really make a difference and after a few wears the coating can wear away and pull hairs.

If you have frizzy hair I can't recommend enough the Living Proof (http://www.livingproof.com/no-frizz/) line. It actually helps prelong washing and makes it resistant to frizz. My mom is always like "it's raining outside, why is your hair straight and not looking like Mia Themopolis today?" and I explain how well Living Proof is. They have a Straight line too if your hair is resistant to frizz. A good dry shampoo might help too (I do not recommend the Tresemme line, it is awful!) prolonging washes.

Since you want to prolong washes, I'm going to recommend the ultimate LHC sin as suggest maybe doing a keratin treatment, that way you don't have to iron it so much? I'm in the NYC area so they're are really cheap deals through Lifebooker (kinda like a groupon for beauty services), where most keratin treatments go for 75%-85% off the original price. I don't know where you are but maybe see if they have a Lifebooker near you? I'm also waiting for more reviews on the One n' Only Keratin Treatment (http://www.folica.com/hair-care/keratin-treatments/one-n-only-brazilian-tech-keratin-smoothing-system) before I do a keratin treatment at home. Maybe try the Organix Keratin Treatment, I've heard really good things about it, the only thing that keeps me from doing it is that it last 15-30 days depending on how much you wash your hair and it has to be an SLS free shampoo.

I understand this completly, beautiful advice. I hope the OP can use this to her advatage. I second the kertain treatment, if I still wanted pin straight hair, I would be getting one also. I would also say try the at home version to make sure you like the results. I have just had a such a horrible experience with heat and I hope yours will be much better.

spidermom
April 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I didn't oil it. I did do occasional deep treatments (Joico KPak).
I didn't consistently use heat protecting spray, either, although probably did most of the time.

C.H.
April 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM

I have to say, my hair is quite curly, but for whatever reason, it holds a press very well and doesn't revert until it gets properly wet--I can always get a good week or two out of it during which I only really need to touch up around my hairline where it would get splashed with water when I wash my face. Also, I never noticed straightening to have a noticeable effect on my curl pattern. So you just never know.

The thing is my hair is somewhat fine as well as being curly, so it doesn't seem like it should be quite as hardy as it is when it comes to flat-ironing, but I suspect this might be because I have lower porosity. :shrug:

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I have to say, my hair is quite curly, but for whatever reason, it holds a press very well and doesn't revert until it gets properly wet--I can always get a good week or two out of it during which I only really need to touch up around my hairline where it would get splashed with water when I wash my face. Also, I never noticed straightening to have a noticeable effect on my curl pattern. So you just never know.

The thing is my hair is somewhat fine as well as being curly, so it doesn't seem like it should be quite as hardy as it is when it comes to flat-ironing, but I suspect this might be because I have lower porosity. :shrug:

Your really lucky then. Well, I see you live in San Fransico, it is not too humid there so maybe that is a factor? My hair just would curl back up only hours after straightening. It has effected my curl pattern, so maybe it just varies? I think my hair is porous though, so maybe that is the difference? Then again, I think its porous from the straightenin damage...so confusing!

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes and No.

Aren't keratin treatments really damaging?

afu
April 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
When i used to straighten my hair daily i was really surprised at how little damage i got, i have fine hair so extra surprise there! I never even got a split end and my hair always appeared healthy and shiny. I then started to bleach highlight and after a couple of years of the two combined by hair was in a dried up, hay-like state to the point i was scared it would break off at the crown :( I stopped using heat on my hair at christmas last year but still beach highlight, the condition of my hair has improved dramatically.

So for me, i seem to be able to get away with one damaging aspect at a time, but not two. I realised i had a choice, and i decided i'd rather be a curly lighter ash blonde than a straight haired mousy blonde. Regardless of that however i do owe a lot of my hairs recovery to CO and coconut oiling.

with regard to what straighteners are good, I found that the only straighteners i would use were GHDs, due to the fact that one quick sweep would straighten perfectly with no need for repeats which cause more damage and i also got not frizz

lapushka
April 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I think it is possible to grow your hair to waist and still heat style. It's just how much heat styling are you going to (be able to) do and how much damage can you expect from it.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
When i used to straighten my hair daily i was really surprised at how little damage i got, i have fine hair so extra surprise there! I never even got a split end and my hair always appeared healthy and shiny. I then started to bleach highlight and after a couple of years of the two combined by hair was in a dried up, hay-like state to the point i was scared it would break off at the crown :( I stopped using heat on my hair at christmas last year but still beach highlight, the condition of my hair has improved dramatically.

So for me, i seem to be able to get away with one damaging aspect at a time, but not two. I realised i had a choice, and i decided i'd rather be a curly lighter ash blonde than a straight haired mousy blonde. Regardless of that however i do owe a lot of my hairs recovery to CO and coconut oiling.

with regard to what straighteners are good, I found that the only straighteners i would use were GHDs, due to the fact that one quick sweep would straighten perfectly with no need for repeats which cause more damage and i also got not frizz

That's what I noticed too. When I used to just heat style, my ends were dry as all heck but you couldn't see the damage. Then I bleached a few pieces and those pieces pretty much melted.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
That's what I noticed too. When I used to just heat style, my ends were dry as all heck but you couldn't see the damage. Then I bleached a few pieces and those pieces pretty much melted.

The only damage I ever really "saw" was my dry ends, but I trimmed my hair so much it was only after going 3 or so months of not trimming in the summer that i noticed how bad my ends had become, then before that was the curl loss fiasco I am just NOW clearing up, all due to heat, NOT fun. But in reality, my hair never really looked "damaged" it just was so...icky looking, I used so much product it got greasy fast but I tried to keep it striaght so i didn't wash it, the ends were dry and my hair was dull. I am happier with my non-straightened crazy hair now. And yes, keratain treatments ARE damaging, but it may be better than flat ironing after every wash.

Deborah
April 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Straightening hair and growing to waist? Is it possible without ruining hair?

Frankly, no. The chemicals and the hot irons both do permanent damage to one's hair, and it is not reparable. You can condition and treat to make it look and feel better, but you cannot heal the damage.

sarahbrownie
April 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Aren't keratin treatments really damaging?

Again, yes and no. Keratin is actually the protein that makes up your hair. The application of keratin simple fills in the gaps and damage in your cuticle. There is a few treatments that contain formaldehyde and should be avoided, but that's mainly the Brazillian Blowout, and there are so many that are chemically safe and don't contain formaldehyde. You really have to do the research yourself. Like any treatment, a sample test would be ideal. The process people find most damaging is the application of the hot iron to seal the keratin into the cuticle. There isn't enough evidence to say that it's damaging, but there isn't enough to say that it isn't. From all the testimonials I've research they really recommend it and gush about how amazing their hair feels. I'm biting the bullet and making an appointment before graduation so maybe I'll have a review for you in a few weeks.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/keratin-hair-straightening-treatments
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/retexturizing/post-keratin-treatment-methods
http://www.naturallycurly.com/search_results?q=keratin&Search=Search

afu
April 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
the other thing to note about the keratin treatment is that it's protein, some hair HATES protein with a passion (one wash the other day with a keratin conditioner and my hair was back feeling like brittle hay). If your hair is the type which just loves moisture - i'd give keratin treatments a miss

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM
The only damage I ever really "saw" was my dry ends, but I trimmed my hair so much it was only after going 3 or so months of not trimming in the summer that i noticed how bad my ends had become, then before that was the curl loss fiasco I am just NOW clearing up, all due to heat, NOT fun. But in reality, my hair never really looked "damaged" it just was so...icky looking, I used so much product it got greasy fast but I tried to keep it striaght so i didn't wash it, the ends were dry and my hair was dull. I am happier with my non-straightened crazy hair now. And yes, keratain treatments ARE damaging, but it may be better than flat ironing after every wash.
I know what you mean. My hair wasn't really icky looking but it was definitely icky feeling, especially because I never cut it and when I did, I did it myself with paper scissors. >.< I was a bad hair owner!
I don't intend to flat iron every wash. Probably once a week or less. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to stretch my washes to once a week, but if not I don't want to straighten more than that. I've heard too many bad experiences about keratin treatments, not to mention the expense.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
the other thing to note about the keratin treatment is that it's protein, some hair HATES protein with a passion (one wash the other day with a keratin conditioner and my hair was back feeling like brittle hay). If your hair is the type which just loves moisture - i'd give keratin treatments a miss

my hair loves loves love moisture. i'm not sure if it hates protein, I've tried some shampoos/conditioners that had protein in them but they were so-so.

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I know what you mean. My hair wasn't really icky looking but it was definitely icky feeling, especially because I never cut it and when I did, I did it myself with paper scissors. >.< I was a bad hair owner!
I don't intend to flat iron every wash. Probably once a week or less. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to stretch my washes to once a week, but if not I don't want to straighten more than that. I've heard too many bad experiences about keratin treatments, not to mention the expense.

Well, once a week won't be SO bad, as long as you keep up trims and DT it'll be alright i think...just look out for too much damage and be careful.

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well, once a week won't be SO bad, as long as you keep up trims and DT it'll be alright i think...just look out for too much damage and be careful.

Will do! I'm trying my first SMT as I type this! :)

Hollyfire3
April 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Will do! I'm trying my first SMT as I type this! :)

Their great, wait till you wash it out and see how soft it is while dry!:)

dainaleeo2
April 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I haven't hair waist-long hair since I was little, so I don't have all that much experience, but I would still say it's possible.
Especially if you are only doing it once a week. I, sadly, have to flat iron my hair almost every day/every other day since it's a bit longer than pixie length, & it looks good only when straight. It doesn't have much other pattern :p

But, I think if you are taking good care of it, & are using a quality flat iron & heat protectant spray (watch out for those alcohol ingredients that sneak in...I've noticed a lot of products lately have them, the bad/drying sort anyway). The SMT is great! That'll really help with the moisture level. I use a Sedu flat iron & I really like it, since it distributes the heat really well.
Good luck! :)

kmarie99
April 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I haven't hair waist-long hair since I was little, so I don't have all that much experience, but I would still say it's possible.
Especially if you are only doing it once a week. I, sadly, have to flat iron my hair almost every day/every other day since it's a bit longer than pixie length, & it looks good only when straight. It doesn't have much other pattern :p

But, I think if you are taking good care of it, & are using a quality flat iron & heat protectant spray (watch out for those alcohol ingredients that sneak in...I've noticed a lot of products lately have them, the bad/drying sort anyway). The SMT is great! That'll really help with the moisture level. I use a Sedu flat iron & I really like it, since it distributes the heat really well.
Good luck! :)

How much did it cost??

dainaleeo2
April 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I bought it from the Folica website, & I think it was around $100-120 for the smaller 1 inch size. They have a bigger one, around 1.5 inches, but I know that's a bit more expensive.

The one you had on the first page (Babliyss? can't recall how to spell it) is also a good brand. I had one before I stepped on it & broke it. The Sedu has lasted me about 3 years, so it's pretty sturdy.

kmarie99
May 2nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
I bought it from the Folica website, & I think it was around $100-120 for the smaller 1 inch size. They have a bigger one, around 1.5 inches, but I know that's a bit more expensive.

The one you had on the first page (Babliyss? can't recall how to spell it) is also a good brand. I had one before I stepped on it & broke it. The Sedu has lasted me about 3 years, so it's pretty sturdy.

Okay thanks! If the babyliss doesn't work well, I'll suck it up and put some money aside for the Sedu.