PDA

View Full Version : Bozo the Clown look-a-likes... how to tame those hairs??

Niphredil
July 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The hair at my temples never grows longer than about chin-length. It is also very fine and fragile hair that curls into spirals, especially when it is humid or rainy outside.
This makes for a very accurate Boozoo the Clown impression.

I' ve tried to tame those hairs with oil, but it still curls into spirals that stick out to the side.
I' ve tried Aloe Vera Gel, but with similar results as with oil.

Lately I try to pin them back, with either those 'click-clack' type pins, or bobbypins. But, fragile as those hairs are, I notice quite some breakage.

Who has a similar problem? Do you have a solution? Or do you just live with it?

I think those hairs are quite annoying, now that my hair grows longer again and I want to wear it up a lot more.

eadwine
July 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I have the same prob. I just live with it and use the click clacks still.

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Mine are straight for some reason and the rest of my hair is curly so it's like the opposite. :silly:

I just use gel if dampness/oil doesn't seem to want to keep them. If you aren't opposed to commercial hair gels (but maybe you are, I dunno), maybe you could try one with a stronger hold than aloe vera?

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I think spiral curls next to the face soften the whole look. I twirl mine around lightly-gelled fingers to discourage volume and frizz, encourage curl. Smooth them down with gel if they fluff up with too much volume.

Niphredil
July 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Hmm, I could try the twisting, maybe they won't stick out sideways that much.

I have used commercial gels, even with ' strong ' hold, but they didn't do the job either.

I have a pic somewhere on my server-pc, I'll go find it, so you can visualize the problem :eek:

RiotCurl: That is strange, to have it the other way around!

Niphredil
July 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Found it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/th_bozo.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/bozo.jpg)

This pic is from January 2005, when my hair was around waist and virtually no layers.
I really don't want to look like that when I wear my hair up.

frizzinator
July 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
When my hair looked like this last year, I never put it in an updo because my head looked like a frizzball.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/10408009.jpg

I lurked around this website for a long time before I joined, trying to find a solution. Shortly after I joined, I found out about the No Water or Sebum Only methods. I immediately gave up all products, oils and haven't even used water on my hair for the last 11 months. This is the only solution that helps tame my frizzy hair. Have a look at my photo album. I wear an updo everyday, and my hair looks smooth. When I look at my photos, I cannot believe it's my hair!

There is a thread about it, but it's easy to describe: The only thing I do to my hair is to scritch, massage and preen everyday. During the first 4 months I had to use a stiff bbb to scrape powdery fine flakes off my scalp, but that subsided during the 5th month, and I rarely brush now. which in fact, has dramatically reduced my shedding. I only comb my hair with a horn comb.

Mely
July 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have a terrible problem with frizzies. In this picture, they are especially apparent because of the sun. (Also, I was visiting a place with a fairly high humidity). I've just sort of given up and am trying to learn to love them. Sometimes I use hairspray to try to plaster them down.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/melykin/myfrizzies.jpg

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Mine are like Riotcrrls and straight too while the longer hair is curly. If you don't blow dry why don't you try doing the blow dry just on those little sections or ironing them either one? Just be very gentle if you do. At least that would tame them a bit.

spidermom
July 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Oh yes; that looks familiar. I use about a dime size squirt of gel (aloe vera or styling gel) smoothed between wet palms, then smoothed over the surface of my hair after I've styled it. As stuff pops up, if it puffs up, I try to gather hairs into strands and twirl them around my wet fingers. Or sometimes I try more gel smoothed over the surface. Even pomade on really fluffy days. It helps.

Niphredil
August 2nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
In my case, they are not really frizzies. I get those too, but more like individual hairs that are sticking out everywhere (not just the sides) and feel rather coarse. Usually the frizz subsides a day after washing.
These are more like tufts of hair, that feel smooth and soft but won't grow any longer that appr. chin length and thus won't stay in updo's.

I used some commercial gel the other day and it helps a while, then when the gel dries the hairs start to stick out again.

Neen
August 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have a similar problem and when I was little my olders sisters nicknamed me Einstein because of it :rolleyes:

Product and sebum don't work for me either, they just make those shorter hairs stick out more obviously, partly because they clump together and partly because the rest of the hair is slick. Now I keep the whole updo quite loose so that the shorter hairs blend in and/or part my hair on the side and sweep it up from the nape so that the longer hairs on top weigh down those shorter hairs. HTH :)

TheaLee
September 23rd, 2016, 02:15 PM
A similar thing happens to me, the baby hairs at my temples love to stick straight out pippi long stocking style, but they have curl at the ends so I end up looking like I've got horns. (they stick out a clear 4-5 inches usually.) It tends to happen after a clarify or when I've been exercising.

The only thing I've tried that has any kind of permanent impact is a tiny spritz of hairspray (I use Not Your Mother's) to sleek them back. Oils/water/diy stuff hasn't worked.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2016, 02:39 PM
A similar thing happens to me, the baby hairs at my temples love to stick straight out pippi long stocking style, but they have curl at the ends so I end up looking like I've got horns. (they stick out a clear 4-5 inches usually.) It tends to happen after a clarify or when I've been exercising.

The only thing I've tried that has any kind of permanent impact is a tiny spritz of hairspray (I use Not Your Mother's) to sleek them back. Oils/water/diy stuff hasn't worked.

There's actually a "club" for all of our wispy hairs, with pictures (maybe you'd like to post your own):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555