PDA

View Full Version : I want your honest opinion about haircolour (pic heavy)

UpNorth
April 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I was born natural blonde, light blonde, thick and very straight hair. I remember my mum always said my hair was perfect. As I grew older my hair gradually darkened and when I was about twelve I got my very first highlights, not many but just to make it a little blonder since I felt blonde was more me. When I was thirteen or fourteen I bleached it much lighter and cut it to chin. Then I decided I wanted to experiment like other kids do and I wanted to go brown. I did, a month later my hair was red (looked awful on me) then burgundy for a while (much better, cold tones suits me better) and then black. I got many compliments for my black, shiny healthy looking shoulder length hair and I really liked it. But my hair was too matted from this treatment so I couldn’t go on; it washed out within a week and started to look awful. There and then I did another teenage revolt ;) I decided never to dye my hair again and grow out virgin hair. I think I was fifteen by then. I had to fix my lengths though so they would look a bit nicer so I bleached it once and dyed it near my natural colour which by then was a cold light brown shade It went okay and I started to grow. For about two years I didn´t dye my hair and I managed to grow it to APL. The thing is I didn´t felt so good about it, it was healthy and shiny but nothing more than that. Every blonde girl I saw made me wanna go back to blonde and I managed to resist the urge until I was seventeen. I was so stupid and tried to do it myself. Ten bleaching sessions later and one or two dyes I was somewhat happy with the look. My hair wasn´t that damaged actually, or at least it didn´t felt or looked damaged. It was when I went to a hairdresser to make it just a little darker everything got bad. She dyed it dark brown with big highlights in and it looked so bad I had to bleach it back. Since then I have tried to make it healthy. Anyway. What I want to ask you is what you think I should do. Should I try to grow out virgin hair?

I really like being blonde, and my hair is quite healthy today and I just bleach it two shades lighter. Just a root touchup every second-third month is what I need. But, it costs a lot of money, money I could save to make a trip somewhere nice once a year. It also is quite demanding. It is hard to maintain the ashy tone I want and it seldom looks 100% perfect (uneven highlights, brassiness, roots).

I´m just afraid If I dye it a tone or two darker so it would blend better, and then in a few years maybe want to be blonde again, or if I would regret it immediately, I can´t go back. I don´t have to choose between length and colour I think, my hair is growing and it feels nice and soft. I just want to know what you guys think. I don´t want you to tell me the benefits of virgin hair, I know them. I just want to hear what you think suits me better. I think my virgin colour is boring on me, makes me look flat and pale, but the blondness isn´t perfect either. And I like the thought of virgin hair. But I also love being blonde. bah

Whatever I decide to do it will probably take a year before I do something.

Pics then:

today(oh well a year ago actually but the colour is exactly the same, I couldn´t find a recent pic that shows my face and thats kind of the point) you can see how it looks with the roots. It looks brassy but it really isn´t, just a warm yellow light in the pic. the one below is from the very same evening in natural light.

http://i49.tinypic.com/e0oa5h.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/34ownm8.jpg

this is from a few weeks before the great disaster (sorry i´m looking wasted, it was at a festival:rolleyes: that explains the mess on my head too, but you can see the colour)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cf3vxw.jpg

virgin hair (I had to search through internet to find these:))

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zyu8uw.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/295vth.png
the last one is virgin to right above shoulder, sorry for my face, I chose this pic because of the rat :D

BeckyAH
April 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I very, very rarely say I think someone looks better blonde.

I think you look better blonde.

That said, you're gorgeous in both, and it is totally your decision.

juliaxena
April 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Honestly I like the darker one better. I think it suits your face way more, brings out your eyes more and the color is simply gorgeous.

Knotted
April 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
You're smiling naturally in the blonde pictures, so I'm more inclined to say blonde. But you rock both colours well! :)

spidermom
April 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
You could go either way.
The mere thought of root upkeep makes me tired, so I'm a bit biased toward natural.

Covet
April 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
You are really pretty and to be honest you look fantastic both ways. I think I'm going to vote for brunette though!

SnowWhite
April 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Both hair colors are great, but the darker color looks lovely with your blue eyes!

brave
April 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I prefer the natural. I am biased towards darker hair though, but I think the contrast against your skin and eyes is better. The blond is just so kind of generic, I guess? It looks nice but I think your natural color looks better.

UpNorth
April 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/ori5hs.jpg

found one i´m smiling on! can´t assure you it is a natural smile though:) and no it is not natural light.

schweedie
April 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
In all honesty, while the blonde suits you (and really does look quite natural), I think I like the darker hair more! It looks especially flattering in the last picture.

ETA - just saw the latest picture that you posted while I was typing, and yeah, your natural colour is gorgeous on you!

But really, you should just go with what makes you feel the best.

terylenerose
April 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I think you look better with your natural color. You've probably heard this before, but most people do, especially the ones who have matching hair and eyebrow colors like you. I'm like that too and I also look better with my natural color (in my humble opinion).
Just my 2c/3a, if you'll excuse the pun. :p

Mommyof4
April 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I like the blonde better, but just because I'm going through the same thing. I have naturally ashy blonde hair, that once it gets virtually any sunlight can look "yellowish", especially in camera lighting lol... I am dark haired for now, and everytime I see someone with natural blonde hair, I miss mine terribly. I am tired of having blonde roots all the time. Unfortunately, I used henndigo on my hair this past year, so when I try to lighten any parts of my hair, there is bright green where the henna was :( It won't come out, and I wish I had NEVER dyed or henna'd my hair, ever. I hope by next year, my natural will have grown out enough and will look like dip-dyed ends lol... Bless your hair journey and you!

misspurdy06
April 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well the darker your hair the more makeup you tend to need. That's probably why you think you look boring in your natural color.

Since you tend not to wear make up you should stay blonde.

Plus you love blonde I can tell. You are letting the doubts and the "I shoulds" cloud what you truly want.

Your natural color looks light enough that stuff like Sun-in will work just fine to lighten it to the level you want. You just have to use a heating element like a blow dryer or sleep with it in over night once a month. That is infinitely cheaper than hair color. If you really hate the gold they make color correctors that don't bleach. http://www.clairol.com/en-US/brass-free

also...

Embrace the gold. It warms up your complexion.

Mirsha
April 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
About haircolour: if it makes you happy, do it.

You know all the benefits of virgin, the drawbacks of dyeing. And I think you already made your decision. :)

Mommyof4
April 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Well the darker your hair the more makeup you tend to need. That's probably why you think you look boring in your natural color.

Since you tend not to wear make up you should stay blonde.

Plus you love blonde I can tell. You are letting the doubts and the "I shoulds" cloud what you truly want.

Your natural color looks light enough that stuff like Sun-in will work just fine to lighten it to the level you want. You just have to use a heating element like a blow dryer or sleep with it in over night once a month. That is infinitely cheaper than hair color. If you really hate the gold they make color correctors that don't bleach. http://www.clairol.com/en-US/brass-free

also...

Embrace the gold. It warms up your complexion.

So true! I have to wear makeup or I look strange with the dark hair, just mascara and lip gloss and blush, but it gets annoying having to wear it.. Plus, Sun-in always worked great in my hair, and did minimal damage, if any!

You know your stuff, MissPurdy ;)

BTW, I don't think you look boring with your natural color, UpNorth, I think you look happier! Maybe lighter hair softens the face?

juliaxena
April 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/ori5hs.jpg

found one i´m smiling on! can´t assure you it is a natural smile though:) and no it is not natural light.

If you don't want this, can I please have it?:p

schweedie
April 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM
BTW, I don't think you look boring with your natural color, UpNorth, I think you look happier! Maybe lighter hair softens the face?
The darker hair is her natural colour, though. :)

I just realised - UpNorth, in the last picture you posted (the one that julieaxena quoted above), you remind me of Jennifer Lawrence as she looked in The Hunger Games!

Cinnamoon
I think the dark hair looks so pretty with your eyes! It really makes your face stand out and look beautiful.

BeckyAH
Seeing the picture with you smiling? I'm changing my vote.

pepperminttea
I prefer the darker colour on you, it really brings out your brilliant blue eyes, but go with what makes you happiest.

Just one thing though; don't feel that because your hair was once a certain colour, that your current natural shade is inferior to it in any way, shape, or form. Colour changes over time are normal, and neither colour - the one you're born with, or the one you have now - is better or worse than the other. It's just different. :)

lapushka
April 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I like the darker color better, looks nicer with your eyes IMO, but if you want to continue to go blonde, I say do it. It's totally up to you.

PorkChop
April 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Hm your virgin hair looks more like a solid brown than someone who is blonde and has darkened. Very unusual
??
But you can definitely do both ways, I do like the shade of blonde in your first two pics tho.

Mommyof4
April 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hmm... okay.. I guess I read the OP wrong LOL... Her hair in the blonde pictures looks so much like my natural.. slightly darker and more ashy at the roots, more golden as it grows out.. I was WAY off :p

MsBubbles
April 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
If your hair can withstand the bleaching while growing as long as you want it to, and you would dearly love to stay blond, then stay blond!

However, I think your natural color makes your skin very eye-catching. I guess you could say - glowing.

I know what a tough decision this is, having been through it myself. But my wimpy fine strands made up my mind for me - my hair is too fragile to withstand the bleach and grow to tailbone. So I went back to my own color.

newbeginning
April 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I think lighter/blonder washes you out. Your natural colour suits your skin tone better and I think brings out your features more.

AMW
April 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Girl you look gorgeous blonde ... I know it is expensive to touch up the roots, but you look so good blonde! That is just my opinion =)

Shermie Girl
April 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I like the blonde on you. But then, I am a tad biased... ;)

Your natural colour looks to be about a level 6 or 7? Somewhere between a light and medium golden blonde? Your natural colour is probably a little too dark for a high lift colour... That is what I use, I am between a 5 and 6. I get lift to pale blonde (at my roots) with 40 volume developer and a high lift dye processed for about forty-five minutes.

Anywhoozle... You might have success with a high lift blonde dye (I use Ion from Sally Beauty Supply) and a 40 volume developer. Your roots are close to your scalp where it is naturally warmer and that combination may, may just give you the level of lift you need without having to bleach. You could try a longer processing time, just keep a close eye on it and be sure not to overlap onto your previously lightened hair, as you could get breakage. Then you could get an ashy toner, mix it with 10 or 7 volume developer (so that you don't get additional lift or damage) and tone out all of your hair, roots to tips to get a more uniform, less gold overall colour. Be sure to strand test, that will tell you if it will work.

Purple shampoos and conditioners are also very helpful in cooling down gold and brass. I use them religiously and love them.

If you only do your roots, tone your length on a rare occasion to cool it down and use purple shampoos and conditioners, pamper, moisturize and feed your hair protein, I don't see why you can't have the blonde you love and long, shiny, healthy looking, stronger hair. It is possible, even with bleach, if you have to keep using it.

Did this make any sense, at all? :lol:

Sweetie
April 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Blonde suits you well, but in your Virgin hair you look fabulous! It makes you eyes look much brighter, and bigger! Much better in the darker version!

terylenerose
April 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Well the darker your hair the more makeup you tend to need.
snip
No.
"Need" in this case is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't mind looking a bit more "washed out" than "normal" then you don't need makeup. Keep in mind that nobody ever needs hair dye or makeup for physical reasons. If anyone perceives this need it is just an opinion.
Sorry, but I really wanted to pick that nit. Don't bite my head off. :)

Micayla47
April 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
as everyone has already said, you are a beautiful girl and you look fantastic either way. that being said, i think the natural color is prettier. i also don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it too. leave it the natural color and have subtle highlights put in 2-3 times a year. that would give you the feeling and look of being a blond without having to bleach your hair all over. :D

oktobergoud
April 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I very, very rarely say I think someone looks better blonde.

I think you look better blonde.

That said, you're gorgeous in both, and it is totally your decision.

I agree with all of this!

Micayla47
April 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM
If your hair can withstand the bleaching while growing as long as you want it to, and you would dearly love to stay blond, then stay blond!

However, I think your natural color makes your skin very eye-catching. I guess you could say - glowing.

I know what a tough decision this is, having been through it myself. But my wimpy fine strands made up my mind for me - my hair is too fragile to withstand the bleach and grow to tailbone. So I went back to my own color.
i love your color!

Anywhere
April 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM
If I had to pick, I'd pick blonde, but both look good.

@Porkchop, you'd be surprised at how much hair can darken. I used to be a blonde like OP. My eyes also used to be super dark brown, but they have lightened up to hazel at the same time my hair began to darken.

Hollyfire3
April 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
No.
"Need" in this case is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't mind looking a bit more "washed out" than "normal" then you don't need makeup. Keep in mind that nobody ever needs hair dye or makeup for physical reasons. If anyone perceives this need it is just an opinion.

I agree with this, I don't want my head bitten off either...:)
I have dark hair and wear no makeup, I have never been told I look washed out at all. I have never heard this idea, but I think blonde would wash me out WAY more than my brunnete hue does.

terylenerose
April 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I would also like to point out that, like many, I am a bit biased - in my case, toward natural colored hair, and just anything natural. I am also biased away from the "light blond with dark eyebrows" look because it doesn't look very natural. If someone has it naturally, though, then I am okay with it.
I also started out blonde, but I darkened at a much earlier age (I think). I tried to lighten my hair a few times with lemon juice and such, but gave up because it wasn't light enough. I then started using box dyes to get it whatever color I felt like having at the moment, and now I'm growing it all out and my hair is more or less natural colored. Sometimes I think about using henna to get it red, but then I remind myself that I don't like how henna looks and my hair is probably too dark to get the shade I want. Besides, I don't really want to dye my hair.
Okay, enough already. Time for me to get off the soapbox. :p But my point is, or would have been, that you should do whatever you really want to do with your hair color as long as it isn't bad for your health (chemicals, etc.).

terylenerose
April 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I agree with this, I don't want my head bitten off either...:)
I have dark hair and wear no makeup, I have never been told I look washed out at all. I have never heard this idea, but I think blonde would wash me out WAY more than my brunnete hue does.
Yay for someone who doesn't wear makeup! (Okay, I'm biased toward not wearing makeup too.) That's great that you don't look washed out.

Freija
Oh, wow. From the way you'd described your natural colour, I had expected to see something dull, ashy, that perhaps didn't quite match your skintone and made you look a little grey.

No: it is stunning. It's such a lovely, rich colour and your eyes glow against it. You can dye your hair any colour you want to, of course you can, and some colours are fun, and blonde looks very sweet on you. Carry on with the blonde if you really love it, or feel more 'you' with blonde hair! But you do at least need to know that your naural colour is gorgeous and anything but flat, and that it is also a very real and beautiful option for you.

Dye because you want to, but don't dye because you feel you have to. Because you just don't. I do understand how you feel - for most of my teenage years I was convinced my hair was a dull, dark, ugly ash brown, too dark to be dark, not light enough to be honeyish, and with no real colour of its own. I hated it, and always yearned for red hair. And I started dyeing it red at a very early age, so I suppose in contrast to the lengths, my roots did look like that. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started growing out virgin to escape the constant recolouring and dyeing and a henna attempt that didn't suit me. And I discovered that my hair wasn't the way I was used to thinking of it at all. All these years, I'd been seeing it as I'd thought it looked, not as it actually was. I'd hated it for no reason (it is actually auburn, the same gold colour as my eyes in the sun, with a whole range of lionish shades in there!). I think that's the same with you. You're not seeing your natural colour as it actually is, which is beautiful, but as you expect it to look. :)

RitaPG
I like the natural colour best, it makes your eyes pop!

henné
April 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I DEFINITELY think the darker (natural) is better. I like your face better with it. With the blond, you looked a little 'washed out' for my taste and while it could pass for your 'natural' hair color, your original color looks much more natural ... What a sentence :D

And I am not particularly biased towards natural. I color my hair. I'm actually starting to realize that I perhaps also look better with my natural color, I'm just not ready to let go of the henna addiction - I just love it too much :D

There go my two cents :p

Avital88
April 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
i think the blond makes you look very sweet and cute but your natural color looks more natural and more outgoing,if you get the point,it gives your face a little more power.
I also think you look younger and more special with darker hair,although i dont know the date of the pics:)

Avital88
April 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
No.

I really agree with this.. i rarely wear make up and i dont look washed out at all..
And my hair is mostly very dark brown/black.
Darker hair is needing more make up is just not true

ladylowtide
April 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm going to be super honest: with your blonde hair you look pretty plain, I wouldn't look twice at you.

But with your natural color, I think you look more beautiful and special.

ladyfey
April 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Another vote for natural!

Diamond.Eyes
April 29th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I very much like the blonde. :) It looks very unique on you.

summergreen
April 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I think the blonde suits your colouring and your hair looks healthy - I wouldn't have realised it was coloured, you look like a natural blonde!

i also don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it too. leave it the natural color and have subtle highlights put in 2-3 times a year. that would give you the feeling and look of being a blond without having to bleach your hair all over. :D - brilliant idea!

jacqueline101
April 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I like both.

long&blonde
April 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I am one to usually vote natural too: you rock both looks.
But from the very first photo on, I could see why you gravitate towards blonde. You are a natural "as a blonde." But of course:follow your heart. What do your true friends:those who love you for you, say?

AndreaPetrea
April 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'm going to be super honest: with your blonde hair you look pretty plain, I wouldn't look twice at you.

But with your natural color, I think you look more beautiful and special.

This exactly :)

Darkessa
April 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Blonde. Definitely suits your face better.

jaquelines
April 29th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thumbs up for blonde as well, here.

theRedEarl
April 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think you pull off both very well. Im always glad to see when people stay at their real hair color though.

Macaroni
April 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I like the color in the second picture. It flatters your skin tone.

MsBubbles
April 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM
i love your color!

Thank you! (if you mean mine. If not, oops! :o)

Interesting answers. Seems like it's close in votes for either color!

spookyghost
April 29th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Like most replies I think you look great in both colors! But I have just recently decided to go back to my natural color and looking at your natural color- I think its beautiful!;) Go natural!

battles
April 29th, 2012, 06:02 PM
A vote for your natural color. It's very pretty, much more so than the blonde. :flower:

Laylah
April 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Honestly I prefer the blonde. It looks very natural and not "bleach blonde" on you and blonde that looks natural is less common than brown. Maybe I'm just biased because my whole family has black hair so blonde is very special when I see it!

BrightEyes
April 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM
You look great with both colors, but I LOVE the blonde. Of course being a blonde myself I am bias:D

LuckyH
April 29th, 2012, 06:34 PM
You're such a pretty girl you can get away with whatever you want, but to me the obvious choice is natural! You're coloring (eye, lip, skin) looks gorgeous with darker hair. As a blondie you're cute, but as someone else mentioned, I don't think I'd be able to pick you out in a crowd. That being said, there are times in a girl's life when she's just gotta be blonde. And then there is a much longer time directly following where she has to grow it out :D

BeccaAngel
April 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
i love your natural hair color, its so pretty!

lolot
April 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM
i like both

LaceyNg
April 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM
the blonde looks good, but i LOVE how you look with your natural color!

meishkamooshka
April 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM
In all honesty, while the blonde suits you (and really does look quite natural), I think I like the darker hair more! It looks especially flattering in the last picture.

ETA - just saw the latest picture that you posted while I was typing, and yeah, your natural colour is gorgeous on you!

But really, you should just go with what makes you feel the best.

^^^ Couldn't say it any better! :D

Kira94
April 30th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I think you look lovely with both! (That's helpful isn't it? ;))
Oh and I agree with whoever said you look like Jennifer Laurence. You totally do! I knew you looked like someone, but I couldn't pinpoint it till they said her name. :)

Siiri
April 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I think the darker colour looks better on you, because it makes your skin look more even and brighter. But the blond doesn't look unnatural either, maybe an ashy shade would look better on you?

MonicaJean
April 30th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Your natural coloring reminds me of Michelle Trachtenberg and I have always thought she had the most amazing coloring! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NkemokVqtZ8/TSDHleChETI/AAAAAAAAAEg/Sxtf1jffe-Y/s1600/michelle-trachtenberg_8.jpg

However, I say go blonde since you seem to really prefer it on yourself and it makes you happy. I guess it comes down to whether you're willing to toss out the money it takes for the upkeep. :)

Rosetta
April 30th, 2012, 02:06 AM
To be honest, after seeing all the photos, the blonde does look better on you in my opinion :) Though maybe a slightly less warm shade? (Athough that shade is beautiful too, especially in the 2nd photo.)

selenechiba
April 30th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I vote for blonde! :)

EtherealDoll
April 30th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I think blonde looks better.

UpNorth
April 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Thank you very much everybody!

I think it´s pretty even here? I like the suggestion someone had about making the best of two worlds. I started to tone in the roots more last time i went to the hairdresser, and its just the the top layers that are lighter, Maybe I just should tone it in a tiny bit next time and see if I could find a good way to keep it ashy for a while.

and wow, jennifer lawrence huh? (actually my DBF told me this after we had seen Winters Bone but I thought he ment the way I dress because I often use to wear something like what she wore in that movie)

Bianca
April 30th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I like the blonde. Im even considering lightening my golden blonde up a little. Suits you very well :)

sunshine-locks
April 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I really do think your natural colour is more flattering, but that may be my love for natural hair colour coming through :P It's so pretty! You somehow look younger with it, it's such a nice colour, rich and vibrant, not dull in the slightest!

theodora
April 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I think you should go with what makes you happy in the end. If you want to be blonde, why not, as long as you're making sure you limit the damage to your hair. I'm sure you already know all this, but applying coconut oil to your hair prior to bleaching will help. You might also want to cut out use of heated appliances (if you do use them of course) as bleached hair will be very sensitive to heat.

ozzy
April 30th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Both suit you. But personally I like the natural look better.

palaeoqueen
April 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I think the blonde. If you'd posted those pictures and not said which was which I honestly would have thought that the blonde was your natural and the brown dyed.