PDA

View Full Version : Oiling + silver shampoo?

wendylai
April 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I was wondering.. I have just started to use silver shampoo on my ash brown hair hoping it'll enchain the highlights sun gives me during summer. But then I started to think as I oil my hair 1-2 times a week (heavy oiling) with jojoba or coconut oil.. do you guys think the shampoo works with oiling, and will the silver shampoo damage my virgin hair overall?

Freija
April 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Silver shampoos are shampoos that contain very mild, purple-toned, deposit-only dyes. They are used for concealing yellowish tones, in order to make platinum blonde or grey hair appear more neutral and clear-coloured rather than brassy - but silver shampoos cannot lighten hair at all. When you get 'natural' highlights, the sunlight is actually bleaching some of the colour out of some of your hair, so if you want to enhance that effect, you will need to use something which is itself able to bleach (like honey, peroxide, lemon juice - which bleaches when it reacts with light - or sun-in which is a combination of lemon juice and peroxide). And even light bleaching can cause damage, so you may well want to avoid that.

The lightest hair that a silver shampoo will realistically have any effect on is a medium brassy blonde. Using a silver shampoo may make your brown hair appear very slightly more ashy and cool-toned, but I doubt you'd notice it, and it won't do anything else. And using oil afterwards will probably remove the slight tint that the shampoo deposits, anyway (it is a very weak dye). On the plus side, it's no more likely to cause damage than any other ordinary shampoo. :)