PDA

View Full Version : hot oil treatments

afu
April 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Since joining LHC i have become a firm fan of hair oiling (i use coconut mostly), however I always just apply mine at room temperature/the just melted stage for coconut oil and apply it to damp hair after washing and occasionally to dry hair if i get frizz. I don't use a bbb as my curly hair would go wild.

My hairdresser said to me last time i saw her 'have you considered using hot oil treatments?'

So my question is this; do any of you apply your oil in a 'hot' state, and if so what benefit does it have over normal oiling. I wonder if 'hot oil treatments' are more something aimed at the general oil scared community who would be afraid of regular oil in their routine

Vanilla
April 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I did a hot oil treatment yesterday. I warmed up the coconut oil and Shea butter I put on my hair, and then put the whole thing under a shower cap, then towel, then a heating pad on my head. I shampooed the whole thing out after a half hour.

I find that the hot oil penetrates my hair better and really helps with the condition of it. Hot oil does strip color out if you color your hair.

Laylah
April 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Yep, at Vanilla said hot oil penetrates the hair more than cold oil. There's a lot to do with entropy and such but here's an analogy: If you dip a hard biscuit into cold milk, it will stay hard, but if you dip it into hot coffee, it will soften faster. If you put pasta into boiling water it will soak up the water faster than if you put it in cold water.

afu
April 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you :)