PDA

View Full Version : Please help!! I want my hair back!! Horrible build up!

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM
It seems ever since I dyed my hair with semi perm. Pravana Vivids.. every time I washed my hair shampoo and conditioner will "sit" on top of my hair, I can't even run my fingers through the gunk mess and my hair looks awful, not fluffy at all when I flat iron, i used to have so much volume now its frikin sick and dirty looking after it dries from washing. I literally have comb marks when I brush it like it hasn't been washed in 2 weeks.

I dyed with another veggie dye and the ONLY shampoo that works is Paul Mitchell clarifying, I cannot use it ever because my hair is bright red. It is honestly almost every shampoo I've used: Nexxus, yes to cucumbers, burts bees, infusium, tresseme, coloresse, etc. EVERYTHING sits on top of my hair. I thought it was the dye's fault so I redyed a couple days ago with a permanent: loreal hicolor hilights (I used to use this stuff before I tried Pavana and Directions dye)

So what do I do? Go to every salon and have them feel my hair or something? I went to the one I go to and they thought it was my well water (ive had it my whole life and it has never made my hair greasy and its the same type of water so this isn't it)

EVERY product builds up on my hair right after a washing. I used to wash it every 5 days and it would still have volume and be soft and not gunky or greasy.

Also, yeah the clarifying DOES work, but I only used it once and it completely removed the gunk, then I dyed with Directions dye and my hair was like silk and I went 5 days without washing, right when I did, my hair was back to the disaster.

Anyone please give me suggestions. I wash all the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair every wash obviously, I'm not doing anything different than I used to.

I also don't use any hair spray or leave in treatments, I often just try to only shampoo!

Please help I've had this awful hair for almost two months

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Also this is VERY off topic, but my hair dresser told me I can't grow my hair any longer than right above my boobs, she said it was genetics.. I've thought about it and I have been trying to get it past that point for two years and it has never passed it! Is the genetics thing true?

redtuss
April 29th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Stop using so many products and give your hair a rest from colouring.

It's probably damaged and that makes it feel yucky, I think you need to just take care of it.

I don't think you have reached your terminal length so don't mind the genetics-comment, but I do believe that if you continue damaging your hair it is not gonna get longer.

Try CO - conditioner only, with non-silicones ones and stop using shampoo, it's too rough unless you're using things that won't leave your hair with other than water.

It really helped my hair to stop the shampooing and just wash with conditioners or water, some oiling can probably be good as well and then you need to see if your hair needs to be cut or not to recover.

leslissocool
April 29th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Pravana has Keratin, which is protein, and maybe your hair has TOO much protein. Is it crunchy?

Ok, my advice? Your hair cannot grow past your boobs because use the straightener over the damage of Dye. Do you straighten every day? I got told my hair couldn't grow that long :lol: yet I stopped using all heat, and oiled it, and got rid of the damage and it did.

I'd really do this: Clarify, then soak your hair with Extra Virgin Olive Oil from your ears down for one hour, if you can sleep with it that's even better. After that, wash it (you might need to shampoo twice or more depending on your hair type and how strong is the shampoo, Paul Mitchel products can't get the oil out of my hair I use Garnier triple nutrition, 4 bucks) and condition as usual. And then let it dry naturally.

Honestly Pravana has Protein so I'd do deep EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) soaks until it's really moisturized, I'd say 2 times a week for two weeks, then once a week for 2 weeks, then once every two weeks until your hair gets some moisture. I'd clarify the first time only, then damp you hair before you oil it.

I would NOT use a straightener if you are oiling your hair.

if your hair starts feeling better with this, I'd change to something like Manic Panic. Some people's hair hate protein, mine actually loves it. But it does get crunchy sometimes. and when it's dry it's hard to soak in the conditioner. The crunchy goes away with deep moisture treatments. EVOO is perfect for that.

Alvrodul
April 29th, 2012, 03:58 AM
If your hair is suffering from a protein overdose, as leslissocool has suggested, you will need to give it moisture to balance this. I would suggest doing a couple of SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s, and see how your hair likes this.
Another great problem is damage from hair dye and heat. None of this is going to go away - you can alleviate the symptoms with pampering, and if you use coney products, the cones will help with concealing the problems, but there is no cure to magically repair hair that has been damaged.

Hairizona
April 29th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Wow, your hairdresser knows your genetics? She must be really intelligent(LOL) !
Don't believe a statement like that from anyone. The way to find out is to let your hair grow.
I rather suspect she has a vested interest in telling you that your hair will not grow longer; mainly that she has deduced that her services may not be utilized by you much longer........

Avital88
April 29th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Also this is VERY off topic, but my hair dresser told me I can't grow my hair any longer than right above my boobs, she said it was genetics.. I've thought about it and I have been trying to get it past that point for two years and it has never passed it! Is the genetics thing true?

my hairdresser told me the same,bsl was the longest i could reach :)
if u go for a cut every 8 weeks your hair wont grow and it will stay the same length ,once i quit going to my hairdresser my hair started growing

Amanah
April 29th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Hairdressers have an agenda, the more they can get you to do to your hair, the more it costs, the more the tip is. It's all very seductive because they make you feel pampered while they are sucking the life out of your hair. Break free! Escape! let you hair find it's own identity!

Dr. Girlfriend
April 29th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I'd put the straightener down and do some deep conditioning myself. The EVOO sounds pretty good too.

afu
April 29th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I would add some baking soda to your shampoo in order to get a really thorough clarify, then focus on moisture treatments. CO works really well for a lot of people (including me) but i think if you do want to try that to wait a little while first, as CO can have an oily transition period for some people so it would probably be better to have a clean start for it. Id recommend the baking soda clarify, condition from ear level down, use a lemon or vinagar rinse then oil damp hair. Then maybe the next time introduce an smt or deep oiling

Madora
April 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
If it is buildup, then clarifying your hair might help. You might have to do it more than once. Neutrogena Anti Residue clarifying shampoo has been recommended by several members.

If you're looking to grow your hair longer, definitely stop flat ironing, or using any other heat appliances. Flat ironing, hot irons, etc. alter the structure of your hair, and over time, can ruin it.

After you've clarified, start using a gentle shampoo and gradually work your way back to healthy hair. The less stuff you put on your hair, the better. Good luck!

florenonite
April 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
The first thing you want to do is clarify your hair. Just clarify, then leave it to dry. Follow the instructions in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) article to see if you do indeed have a protein overdose, as some commenters have suggested.

Lay off the dye and straightener for now. Keep your routine simple: wash, condition/oil if necessary, and air dry. Only try one new thing at a time; for instance if you found when you clarified that you couldn't comb your hair, add in a conditioner (preferably one that you know works). Then try an SMT or a heavy oiling.

You say your hair is red. Have you considered henna? IIRC henna does have protein in it, but it's much better for the hair than chemical dyes so if you apply it and follow with a good moisturising treatment you should be OK.

As far as the genetic comment, few people have genes that don't allow their hair to grow past breast length. It's more likely you just have breakage due to damage.

spidermom
April 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't use baking soda mixed with shampoo if I were you. I tried that, and my hair matted so bad that I couldn't get a comb or my fingers through it.

I'd recommend a clarifying shampoo followed by a deep conditioning treatment (for moisture) instead.

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!
But the last dye I used was La Riche Directions and it is a veggie dye that actually conditions hair, just apply right out of the little pot it comes in. It made my hair the softest it's ever been but then I washed it and the horrible mess returned.

I've noticed I have a lot of problems with the back of my head and the length, probably because it is so dry. I had an idea, go back to Directions dye since it makes my hair so healthy and just like experiment and try EVERY shampoo I can to see if one works better? The longer you use a veggie dye I guess the better it sticks to your hair and the better condition your hair becomes.

I don't go to salons ever actually! I only did this year because I wanted true RED hair, I frikin spent 300 on two visits saying RED HAIR, one gave me a medium auburn brown and one and orangey copper dark brown, screw the salon haha :p

I probably get my hair cut twice a year and that is just to touch up my own mistakes from cutting it at home (I do my bangs and some short layers with a razor myself)

My hair USED to be crunchy from using a 30 volume my first time I tried and achieved true red hair, it was awfulll but it never had build up. The second time I redyed it I used 20 volume (both with hicolor hilights) still, I could wash once a week and never have build up.

Then I tried Pravana since it's good for most people's hair since it's a veggie dye. That is when the hair hell started. So after a month of dealing with it I clarified twice in one wash and it was all good, so I applied Directions and then it was super soft and 100 percent better texture than Pravana, it made my hair feel fake, probably the protein like you all said.

One big question and concern:: I was thinking that any veggie dye my hair doesn't like and it makes everything just "stick" to my hair like shampoo and conditioner.. but maybe that was just pravana? Because when I used Directions, right after I dyed it it was silky and clean and normal until I washed it 5 days later.. it HAS to be my shampoos or something.

And I did used to flat iron like 3 times a day in high school, I'm talking full head CHI flat ironing.. Now that I've graduated I'm much better, I braid my hair and just iron my bangs since I have sort of "scene"ish bangs I cut myself, and I flat iron a little bit of the short layers but not much anymore. The back of my head and my length is dryyyyy.

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe it is so damaged from the hicolor and MAYBE all the keratin and protein in Pravana that my hair isn't absorbing my shampoos and conditioners right?? Just a thought. I used a reconstructor conditioner last night and my hair doesn't look greasy or gummy really, mainly the back is hard to run my fingers through D:

I use a 30 volume with hicolor hilights to touch up my roots since my hair is dark brown naturally but I will never let a 20 or 30 touch the rest of my hair again!

I'm still thinking maybe it's so damaged that shampoos are clashing with it or something.. I tried to co wash with v05 strawberries and cream, but that stuff makes my hair worse and extra gummy and greasy

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Also (sorry idk if there's an edit button:p ) when I clarify it is all fine, a little dry but good, then I go to wash it a few days later with a mild shampoo and the mess is back !

heidi w.
April 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Typically, with dyed or colored hair, one needs to use conditioners and shampoos that help the color last or hold. Are you using such shampoo?

Well water: some of it is really great water, some of the best water around; and some of it is terrible water. They're suggesting a hard water problem but if you're only having the problem using this kind of hair dye, maybe what you need is to stop using these kinds of dyes.

I would seek the counsel of a licensed colorist. That's a hairdresser that specializes only in coloring. They can conduct a strand test and discover if there are any issues with porosity, or protein. They can suggest other, perhaps better products for coloring.

For example, a load of people like henna. But it IS a hair dye, essentially. And my experience with it is that it somewhat blocks the uptake of conditioner, and hair so dyed I have witnessed after a bit of time coloring with henna becomes rather dry, even if the person with this colored hair likes it. At first henna appears to make hair silkier and smoother, but in time, that doesn't hold true.

When you color using off-brand stuff, you need to know what's going on and what the risks are.

I'm a purist, so I sort of have no business in this thread, but you seem to be having a terrible time of it. I hear that Biolage has a detangle product. I have no idea about its quality, but my experience with Biolage product line is quite positive. Lots of people here use Biolage's Conditioning Balm.

I am fearful of suggesting a home recipe for clarifying the hair because I don't know if your hair will handle it well, given what you're reporting here, nor do I know how it might affect your color.

I would start by consulting with a licensed hair colorist. You could also try calling Enchantress long hair salon in Ohio (they're online, and I've called a few times for advice, then bought a comb to make the time they spend with me somewhat worth it for them). Lance there is versed in the care of long hair AND he is known to do a great job of coloring people's hair. He might be a starter kit for figuring out answers. For example, he knows about Henna, and he might know of dying with vegetable dyes. It's an idea, at least.

As soon as you resolve this issue, we can talk more about the other issue, your hair's ability to grow longer....

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle. And I don't have a lot of helpful suggestions for you, either. No big help, really. I'm sorry.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Maybe it is so damaged from the hicolor and MAYBE all the keratin and protein in Pravana that my hair isn't absorbing my shampoos and conditioners right?? Just a thought. I used a reconstructor conditioner last night and my hair doesn't look greasy or gummy really, mainly the back is hard to run my fingers through D:

I use a 30 volume with hicolor hilights to touch up my roots since my hair is dark brown naturally but I will never let a 20 or 30 touch the rest of my hair again!

I'm still thinking maybe it's so damaged that shampoos are clashing with it or something.. I tried to co wash with v05 strawberries and cream, but that stuff makes my hair worse and extra gummy and greasy

By now, you have apparently tried a number of things. Maybe it's time to be patient a tad. And gather actual information, then make a decision and do some kind of action based on the information. For example, from my read, you may actually have a protein overload by now, or a porosity issue going on. It's a possibility.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!
But the last dye I used was La Riche Directions and it is a veggie dye that actually conditions hair, just apply right out of the little pot it comes in. It made my hair the softest it's ever been but then I washed it and the horrible mess returned.

I've noticed I have a lot of problems with the back of my head and the length, probably because it is so dry. I had an idea, go back to Directions dye since it makes my hair so healthy and just like experiment and try EVERY shampoo I can to see if one works better? The longer you use a veggie dye I guess the better it sticks to your hair and the better condition your hair becomes.

I don't go to salons ever actually! I only did this year because I wanted true RED hair, I frikin spent 300 on two visits saying RED HAIR, one gave me a medium auburn brown and one and orangey copper dark brown, screw the salon haha :p

I probably get my hair cut twice a year and that is just to touch up my own mistakes from cutting it at home (I do my bangs and some short layers with a razor myself)

My hair USED to be crunchy from using a 30 volume my first time I tried and achieved true red hair, it was awfulll but it never had build up. The second time I redyed it I used 20 volume (both with hicolor hilights) still, I could wash once a week and never have build up.

Then I tried Pravana since it's good for most people's hair since it's a veggie dye. That is when the hair hell started. So after a month of dealing with it I clarified twice in one wash and it was all good, so I applied Directions and then it was super soft and 100 percent better texture than Pravana, it made my hair feel fake, probably the protein like you all said.

One big question and concern:: I was thinking that any veggie dye my hair doesn't like and it makes everything just "stick" to my hair like shampoo and conditioner.. but maybe that was just pravana? Because when I used Directions, right after I dyed it it was silky and clean and normal until I washed it 5 days later.. it HAS to be my shampoos or something.

And I did used to flat iron like 3 times a day in high school, I'm talking full head CHI flat ironing.. Now that I've graduated I'm much better, I braid my hair and just iron my bangs since I have sort of "scene"ish bangs I cut myself, and I flat iron a little bit of the short layers but not much anymore. The back of my head and my length is dryyyyy.

There is NO WAY that dying hair makes hair in better condition than not dying hair.

But, with all you're doing with coloring, flat ironing, and whatever else, such as possibly blow drying, it's no wonder your hair is dryyyyy in back.

What's your conditioner plan or routine? I hear no mention of the use of any conditioner so far.

heidi w.

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I know my hair is damaged for sure.. but I thought if it was damaged it would just be really dry.. not having every product stick and build up with it?

My typical washing?? Ummm, well I use a lot of shampoos, mostly all sulfate and paraben free like yes to cucumbers, infusium, burts bees, coloresse, even nexxus and bed head for some sulfates to give it an extra clean but I try to have sulfate free kind and ALWAYS use color care shampoos and conditioners. I just wash in cold water to keep my color in better, shampoo and make sure I wash it all out, then I condition and leave it in for about 5 mins, I've tried so many kinds, organic kinds don't condition very well but I use them time to time, I try tresemme, aussie 3 min miracle, coloresse, mane n tail, v05, etc..

Maybe Gene Juarez or however you spell it are smart and know all about hair? I just know it's an expensive salon and a popular one..

Maybe the most dry parts such as my length of my hair and the back do the worst with shampoo? My bangs are fine always and the hair on the side of my head is usually soft and fine and I can run fingers through it..

My well water would have ruined mine and every one else's hair in my house years ago if it were the case.. my moms and sisters is fine and they only have a problem once every few months, normal product build up but theirs goes away.

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I also wash twice a week, sometimes every 5 days when it used to stay "clean" and volumized looking before all this started

Bunnysaur
April 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I just managed to rescue my poor hair from an all night dye-remove-dye adventure. It was pretty crunchy and awful when I was done.
This morning, after applying the last dye, my ends were horribly crunchy (and yet not split, my hair never does) and the whole mess just felt dry and horrible.
I put it up in a pony tail and slathered the ends with coconut oil. After an hour or too, my hair was back to being bone dry, so obviously it was in pretty bad shape. I put on more coconut oil, and added some avocado oil as well. After a couple hours with that soaking, I took out the pony and used a deep conditioning restoring treatment from Ojon all over my length and ends, and oiled my scalp with avocado oil. I let it sit for about half an hour, then washed it out with Ojon Damage Reverse S&C. The ends were still a little dry, so I used a Phyto moisturizing mask.
Now my hair is pretty much back to normal. My ends are still a little damaged, but I'm finally at a length where I'll be able to tuck them under in more protective styles. The ends will always be damaged, but I'll at least be able to hold off on trimming until I grow some more.
You should probably look into a deep moisturizing mask, I would recommend looking for one without protein, and definitely stopping with the straightener. After I stopped using heat tools (mostly because I don't have the time :p) my hair slowly got so much better.
Another thing I would think about doing would be to wash your hair out more, and maybe cut back on your dying. I shampoo and condition daily with V05, and my hair's never been better. Dying so much is going to damage your hair, and while you'll be able to smooth it out and moisturize it and make it feel soft and smooth, the damage will still be there. I personally haven't tried it, but tons of people here have had great luck with henna, you might want to look into it.

Good luck!

ETA: Are you using any styling products? If you're using a lot of products and only washing twice a week, then build up is inevitable. You should take a good hard look at your routine and decide what parts of it are really necessary.

caisaco
April 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I never use hairspray or heat protector or gels or anything. Just shampoo and conditioner, I have been trying to just shampoo to test if it was conditioners building up but it was both.

if no one knows what La Riche Directions is, look it up! (not in a mean way but it's cool and handy dye that doesn't hurt your hair :p )

yeah I am going to stop flat ironing and just braiding it, my hair has gotten so much wavy and kinkier over the last few years so it actually looks sort of good and wild if I don't flat iron.. sort of like the 80s ! :p

Would a PH shampoo be necessary? I've heard about it and with Directions dye youre supposed to wash with one

Bunnysaur
April 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I never use hairspray or heat protector or gels or anything. Just shampoo and conditioner, I have been trying to just shampoo to test if it was conditioners building up but it was both.

if no one knows what La Riche Directions is, look it up! (not in a mean way but it's cool and handy dye that doesn't hurt your hair :p )

yeah I am going to stop flat ironing and just braiding it, my hair has gotten so much wavy and kinkier over the last few years so it actually looks sort of good and wild if I don't flat iron.. sort of like the 80s ! :p

Would a PH shampoo be necessary? I've heard about it and with Directions dye youre supposed to wash with one

I just looked up Directions. Do you use their color care conditioner?
Another thing you might want to consider is starting a prewash oiling treatment, like soaking your hair in EVOO or coconut oil for a while before shampooing. It might help your hair not tangle as much in the shower. Also, how do you shampoo? Do you rub it all over your hair, or put a little on your fingers and work it into your roots.

If you're supposed to use a pH balanced shampoo with that dye, then by all means, do so! I'm not sure it'll do anything for the state of your hair, but it'll help your color stay brighter longer, and you won't have to dye as much.

florenonite
April 30th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I had an idea, go back to Directions dye since it makes my hair so healthy and just like experiment and try EVERY shampoo I can to see if one works better?

No. That is the last thing you want to do. You've been doing so much to your hair already that I think it needs a rest. I really think your best bet is to clarify, work out if it needs protein or moisture, and go from there.

ETA: You might be one of these people who needs to do 'conveyer belt' cleansing; that is you have two to four shampoos on rotation and use different ones each wash. If you are, though, stick to what you've already got. Clarify in one wash, next wash try something else, and pay attention to how your hair reacts to each.

cremenoir
April 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
hello! the only time i've ever used demi permanent dye, i ended up with a lot of buildup too. my hair felt crunchy and was really difficult to comb. it wasn't dry, but felt straw-like and kind of grainy, like really bad protein buildup. this lasted a few weeks and gradually wore off over the course of a few months. the dye i used was high quality, so i don't know why this happened. keep clarifying and moisturizing, and it should improve with time.

caisaco
April 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I just looked up Directions. Do you use their color care conditioner?
Another thing you might want to consider is starting a prewash oiling treatment, like soaking your hair in EVOO or coconut oil for a while before shampooing. It might help your hair not tangle as much in the shower. Also, how do you shampoo? Do you rub it all over your hair, or put a little on your fingers and work it into your roots.

If you're supposed to use a pH balanced shampoo with that dye, then by all means, do so! I'm not sure it'll do anything for the state of your hair, but it'll help your color stay brighter longer, and you won't have to dye as much.

Never knew they had one! I'm not from the UK and that's where all their stuff is from so I never shop around online for UK products but that dye. Maybe I should give it a try??

That dye lasted a longgg time, over a month, probably because it was a darker red but still soo bright, as it faded it looked brighter after every few washes!

I've been looking on Sally's beauty website and I see Neutralizing shampoos for color treated hair too, I guess it's the same as PH, should I get that?

As for the soaking, would it be my whole head in EVOO and then shampoo it out? Will it be really greasy from it after?

When I shampoo my hair I put it in my palm and section it and wash the back of my head, top, sides etc and don't scrub the length just my scalp a bit (i don't scrub it all like crazy because I don't want my color to fade out so much) I also wash my hair upside down in lukewarm, but more on the colder side water (upside down so my body doesn't freeze! :p )

caisaco
April 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
No. That is the last thing you want to do. You've been doing so much to your hair already that I think it needs a rest. I really think your best bet is to clarify, work out if it needs protein or moisture, and go from there.

ETA: You might be one of these people who needs to do 'conveyer belt' cleansing; that is you have two to four shampoos on rotation and use different ones each wash. If you are, though, stick to what you've already got. Clarify in one wash, next wash try something else, and pay attention to how your hair reacts to each.

Already on it! :p I don't like using the same shampoo every time I have like 7 I use and rotate them.. I'm sad I'm using a sulfate kind, but Nexxus color care sort of prevented some of the build up, the back of my head is still gummy sort of but not near as bad as it was. I'm just trying not to get my hopes up though. Someone told me the organic shampoos may have too much oils in them and stuff and that could be reacting bad to my dye that already contains a lot of hair benefits? And they said use a sulfate kind so it cleans better

caisaco
April 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
And my hair is back to normal when I clarify, but I have to stay away from it because it will completely strip my red

Alvrodul
April 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM
When you want to wash an oil treatment out of your hair, most people here actually find it is better to not use a shampoo, but instead use conditioner only - work the conditioner into the well-oiled hair and let it sit for half an hour before rinsing it out.

catamonica
April 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Caisco, my hair didnt grow for two years. I started wearing it in a braided bun. In November 2011, it grew from past waist to hip in March. I wear it in a bun five days a week. Also in 2009 I used horse shampoo from wall mart. Add two capfuls of olive oil. It grew from past midback to waist, 14 inches. Go to a web site called singing mommy. Her hair is down to her knees. On her blog she says buns promte growth. And she has not cut her hair in twenty years. Add aloe vera & olive oil to conditioner. Both make hair baby soft. Aloe really does. And I read that they both promte growth.

caisaco
April 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
ohh okay.
Also if it matters, my hair is "fine" I guess, but I have a lottt of it so it appears to be thick as I was told by all the stylists I went to. Sooo maybe a light shampoo for fine hair would be good? I just bought Pantene Aqua light and it has no silicones or parabens, it isn't creamy but it is clear, I've heard if it's clear that it is for fine hair and doesn't weight it down?

caisaco
April 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Caisco, my hair didnt grow for two years. I started wearing it in a braided bun. In November 2011, it grew from past waist to hip in March. I wear it in a bun five days a week. Also in 2009 I used horse shampoo from wall mart. Add two capfuls of olive oil. It grew from past midback to waist, 14 inches. Go to a web site called singing mommy. Her hair is down to her knees. On her blog she says buns promte growth. And she has not cut her hair in twenty years. Add aloe vera & olive oil to conditioner. Both make hair baby soft. Aloe really does. And I read that they both promte growth.

Ah! Horse shampoo, as in mane n tail? They have it at sallys's, and one type of it is for color treated hair! Should I give it a go?

catamonica
May 1st, 2012, 12:10 AM
Caisaco, give it a go. It is mane & tail. Maybe the olive oil helped growth, but Im not sure. Add seasoned chopped onion to the shampoo. A cap full or two. My hair is fine to. It makes the hair
thicker. I hope the shampoo helps. But wearing it in a bun will help to. Let me know if the
shampoo worked for you.

florenonite
May 1st, 2012, 04:37 AM
ohh okay.
Also if it matters, my hair is "fine" I guess, but I have a lottt of it so it appears to be thick as I was told by all the stylists I went to. Sooo maybe a light shampoo for fine hair would be good? I just bought Pantene Aqua light and it has no silicones or parabens, it isn't creamy but it is clear, I've heard if it's clear that it is for fine hair and doesn't weight it down?

Generally speaking, yes. Fine hair gets weighed down more easily than coarser hair, so clear shampoos with fewer moisturising ingredients tend to work better.

Oh, and catamonica, wearing your hair in a bun doesn't make it grow. It prevents damage that could be causing it to break off at the ends, but it doesn't change how it's growing from your scalp. So it's good advice for people with breakage, but it's not a magical cure-all for people with slow growth.

catamonica
May 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Florenonite, you are right. Buns arent a magical cure. But between 2010 & 2011, my hair
stopped growing. Between November 2011 to March, it grew four inches. And it is still
growing. Check out singing mommys site. Her hair is knee length. On her blog she says
buns promte growth. And she has not cut it in twenty tears. All I know is my hair started
growing. I know it helped.

caisaco
May 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know of some good clear shampoos for dyed and fine hair? I haven't washed mine in 5 days, the oils HAVE to be good for my hair right now, it's so gross but I'm trying out the new Pantene aqua light tonight :D

florenonite
May 3rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Florenonite, you are right. Buns arent a magical cure. But between 2010 & 2011, my hair
stopped growing. Between November 2011 to March, it grew four inches. And it is still
growing. Check out singing mommys site. Her hair is knee length. On her blog she says
buns promte growth. And she has not cut it in twenty tears. All I know is my hair started
growing. I know it helped.

I'm not denying your experience, but buns don't make your hair grow. They just don't. Either you were experiencing so much breakage at the ends that your hair didn't appear to grow until you put it up (most likely) or your hair wasn't growing for another reason, which was resolved at about the time you started wearing it up. Correlation does not mean causation.

Yes, buns are helpful in protecting hair and preventing breakage, meaning you can make the most out of growth because the ends aren't breaking off at the same rate as new hair is growing in. However, they don't change the rate at which the hair grows from your scalp.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think florenonite you are right. I didnt have any breakage. Im just glad my hair is growing.
But I do believe I got a little miracle from my Lord above. And I hope it keeps growing. No
one in my family ever had real long hair. So I think it has to do with your genes. It will either
grow real long or it wont.

florenonite
May 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Yes, genes certainly do come into play, but you could have the genes for thigh-length hair but treat it so badly it breaks off at BSL, which is where treating your hair well comes into play :)

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Florenonite, I was just curious. Does your hair grow fast? And how long do you want to grow it?

florenonite
May 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM
It averages about half an inch a month; a little more in the summer, a little less in the winter. In total I get about 6.5" growth a year, which is a little over average. I'm only aiming for waist at the moment, but when I get there I might go on to hip or TB. We'll see.