PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Thank You!

nerdymomma
April 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM
[Forgive me, please, this is a bit wordy. For the Reader's Digest version, read the first and last paragraphs.]

Hi, I'm nerdymomma. These days I'm a homebody bookworm and a SAHM to two little boys, ages 3.5 and 1. My husband and I love Sci-fi television. (My favorite Sci-fi series' are 'Farscape' and 'Firefly')

So - I found LHC while trying to figure out how to cut my own hair. I'm a DIY sort of gal; I sew, crochet, and cook from scratch. I already cut my own bangs, the boys hair and my husband's as well. My recent attitude towards my hair had been one of aggravation-induced neglect. So, here I find a fabulous tutorial (by Feye - and my hair looks great! Thanks!) and a whole host of information that I'd never even thought to look for.

I've been reading through the website (only a little obsessively) and panicking only slightly about my comb, brush, and the thoughtless ways I have been abusing my hair. So, let me give my Hair History.

Hair type (I think) is: 1bFii
I have never been afraid to cut my hair or change it. As a child I was told I just couldn't have long hair, that it was too thin. My mom always chopped my hair at my shoulders or thereabouts. I had poodle perms, it went longer or shorter, but overall, it was always boring, always in a ponytail. I have a redheaded sister who had waist-length hair and I was very envious. In college I had an ugly breakup and had my my hair bobbed and dyed it reddish purple. When I met my husband 2 years later I decided to let the red go. I went a few shades darker than my natural dirty-blonde and started growing. I loved my long hair! I left it down for our wedding in 2007.

2008 I got pregnant. I stopped dyeing. I started to get some "weird" ideas about health and nutrition. After the baby was born I spent 8 months adrift, becoming a SAHM to a new baby and with a husband who worked crazy hours.

The summer of 2009, one of my first attempts to regain my sense of self was a haircut. This time, a disastrous pixie. I hated it. It grew out so hideously. I really, really loathed that haircut. I've been growing it ever since. February 2011 I was pregnant again and I hadn't had my hair cut in almost 2 years, so I went at my husband's request and had my hair done. The stylist did a fabulous job giving me long layers, heavy Heidi Klum bangs, and peekaboo highlights (mistake! gah!)

So here I am, April 2012 with BSL 1bFii hair. I have brown hair (thank you hormones!) with blonde highlights and bangs growing out. My favorite shampoo bar and conditioner bar are from Virginia Soaps and Scents (http://www.va-soaps.com/vss2_014.htm). 3 days ago I trimmed my own hair for the first time. Before that I hadn't had a trim in 10 months. I came to LHC not knowing how to care for my hair. My old routine was every 2-3 days WC, yank a brush through it, wad it on my head with an elastic, and not think about it again til evening, when I would take it down to dry before bed. My hair is frizzy, my cowlick is out of control. I've started a hair journal, Today I started a new routine of: CWC, comb (with a new comb - I bought two, a regular wooden one and a wide-toothed plastic with pretty smooth ridges, since they didn't have a wooden wide-tooth. Is that ok you think?) and oil w/ coconut oil and aloe mix for the frizz. So far I'm very pleased. I'm going to teach myself a sock bun now. Thank you LHC for showing me how to love my hair instead of chop it off!

swearnsue
April 28th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC. I'm a F i or F ii also so I know what you mean about having to keep your hair at shoulder or above while growing up. My mom thought the same thing. I've learned that fine hair can look just as beautiful when it is healthy and well cared for.

ApatheticFairy
April 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hey, we're kinda hair twins! We should try the long hair buddy system!

Do you have a hair goal or length in mind?

ApatheticFairy
April 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
By hair twins I mean same length and typing, by the way, I don't see your color and your bangs sound wayyy cute.

nerdymomma
April 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hello swearnsue! Did your mom also tell you that she was cutting it to help it grow thicker and faster? My mom did...sigh.

ApatheticFairy, hello hair twin! My color is solidly brunette now. Thanks to those pregnancy hormones, I finally made the leap from dirty blonde to full brown. I'm thankful for that, since my husband is Dutch, and has the prettiest natural white-blonde hair.

As for bangs and goals, I'm growing out the bangs because I'm bored with them. I'm terrible about keeping up with my hair, I'm really a wash'n'wear person. I'm not sure of my goals yet. I see some ladies here with gorgeous long hair. I think classic seems very achievable and desirable. I'm be happy with anything at the waist or below I think. What are your goals?