PDA

View Full Version : Your latest hair discovery!

monichella
April 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Mine is fenugreek (methi), definitely! After a period of dry and fragile hair, when oils didn't seem doing anything, this herb really succeeds in conditioning my hair and making it shiny, I'm so glad of its smell too :p

I use three part of shikakai and one of methi to wash my whole length, if you didn't try yet, do it!

And what about your latest hair addiction? ;)

BeckyAH
April 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Realizing I can, in fact, cut my own hair. Not just S & D, but trimming and CUTTING it - I can do it myself.

Madora
April 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't call it an addiction but my first encounter with Mineral Oil was terrific!

Hollyfire3
April 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
My newest love if it keeps working is Salma Mayek Nuances volume conditioner and shampoo, it has brought most of my curl back after not having ANY for months, its amazing!

Amber_Maiden
April 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Indian herbs and cassia.

pepperminttea
April 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Aloe juice! So much cheaper per ml and easier to find than a good gel here, and works great in SMTs which is my main use for it. :D

BrightEyes
April 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
That my hair needs cones. I tried a conefree routine and even a very limited conefree routine. My hair became very dry, frizzy, dull and just yucky. So now I'm back on cones and my hair is happy again:)

MinderMutsig
April 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Amodimithicone. I always liked my hair better without cones but that was before I knew about the difference between different kinds of cones, what they do and how they work.
Amodimithicone is my new BFF.

SunlightShines
April 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
The oils weren't helping with dryness so I use a pearl size dot Salon Care conditioner on slightly damp hair and no more dry frizz! I still oil my ends every night to keep the split ends away.

Honestwitness
April 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I agree with Madora...baby/mineral oil. My hair loves it.

kitschy
April 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Here's a third Mineral Oil. Love it!

nerdymomma
April 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Where do I start? This website would top the list. I just tried coconut oil and aloe vera for frizz and I'm pleased with the results so far. Before discovering this site a few days ago I had no idea how to take care of my hair.

leilasahhar
April 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM
redwood roots hair nectar :)) its a light oil mist that keeps my hair/roots hydrated without the heaviness! I also love using shea butter on my ends. You can get the mist at www.redwood-roots.com

long&blonde
April 29th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Finger combing!

monichella
April 29th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I want to try mineral oil now! *_* But I have to understand how to use it before.

MeowScat
April 29th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I'm the 4th for Mineral Oil! :)

3 drops of Mineral / Baby Oil on my damp hair really helps the wide tooth comb slide through.

I STILL can't believe I've had the perfect detangler in my bathroom cabinet my entire life and never knew it! Every time I've used Johnson's Baby Oil on my legs and hands I made sure to not get any on my hair.

Oops...live and learn.

kidari
April 29th, 2012, 03:47 AM
mineral oil, rose water, "it's a 10" leave-in conditioning spray, and Creaclip (I've been very busy spoiling my hair lately)

my hair loves mineral oil and it combines only the positive aspects of cones and oils for me, "it's a 10" is a fantastic leave-in spray conditioner I'm adding to my rotation of favorites, Creaclip is going to ensure I never cut my hair crooked again, and rose water along with CO and WO washes have been helping me stretch washes tremendously since I'm an addicted daily SLS washer with very oily hair

MinderMutsig
April 29th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I want to try mineral oil now! *_* But I have to understand how to use it before.Keep a close eye on your hair and stop at the first sign of trouble. What works for some, doesn't work for others.

Othala
April 29th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Coconut oil saturation. It's not a new discovery, it's just a wonderful point to have reached.

emma907
April 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM
That a lemon juice rise really defines my waves, I was astounded! :)

AnaGeorgette
April 29th, 2012, 06:04 AM
honey deep conditioner, I love the smell =D

Wildcat Diva
April 29th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I love flexi-8's!

afu
April 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
not that recent a discovery, but converting to CO had the biggest impact on my hair - keeps it lovely and soft, moisturised and manageble. A close second has to be coconut oil, use it on hair and body and it's so adaptable

ravenheather
April 29th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Water only is really helping me stretch washes. I've been using it inbetween my 2xs a week 'poo. I think I'm going to try to go for 1 x /week with wo in between.

einna
April 29th, 2012, 07:25 AM
WO scalp washes inbetween CO washes. And the pencil bun held with a three prong hairfork. Holds like a rock <3

MinderMutsig
April 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Water only is really helping me stretch washes. I've been using it inbetween my 2xs a week 'poo. I think I'm going to try to go for 1 x /week with wo in between.I wonder if this isn't counter productive to stretching washes? The #1 reason to stretch washes as I understand it is because hair is most fragile and very prone to get damaged when it's wet. With daily WO you still get it wet every day so the potential to get damaged is still there.

ravenheather
April 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I wonder if this isn't counter productive to stretching washes? The #1 reason to stretch washes as I understand it is because hair is most fragile and very prone to get damaged when it's wet. With daily WO you still get it wet every day so the potential to get damaged is still there.

True but for me stretching washes is a process. I used to shampoo every day. My hair is slightly oily, but it is getting better. I also don't wo every day just as needed. I have thin fine hair and don't like running around looking greasy. For me the point of stretching washes is also less products. My hair is also only sl right now, so we're not talking about really long fragile hair.

Mayflower
April 29th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Retread conditioner from Lush! I only used it when rinsing out my henna but now I use it every wash and my hair is so soft and easy to detangle. Also, no-heat curling methods (sock curls, headband curls).

MinderMutsig
April 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
True but for me stretching washes is a process. I used to shampoo every day. My hair is slightly oily, but it is getting better. I also don't wo every day just as needed. I have thin fine hair and don't like running around looking greasy. For me the point of stretching washes is also less products. My hair is also only sl right now, so we're not talking about really long fragile hair.Oh I definitely think WO is better than shampoo everyday. I kind of forgot about shampoo because I haven't used it in ages. :o

Have you tried putting a little conditioner on the ends after a WO wash? May as well make the best of it if you're washing anyway.;)

rock007junkie
April 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
1. Zizyphus: loves how it makes my hair feel (you know, after I spend like an hour washing it out)

2. Using a 3 braided tassle to get perfect braidwaves all the way down to my hair. I'm loving it!

janeytilllie
April 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't call it an addiction but my first encounter with Mineral Oil was terrific!

I agree with Madora...baby/mineral oil. My hair loves it.

Here's a third Mineral Oil. Love it!

mineral oil, rose water, "it's a 10" leave-in conditioning spray, and Creaclip (I've been very busy spoiling my hair lately)

my hair loves mineral oil and it combines only the positive aspects of cones and oils for me,

I'm the 4th for Mineral Oil! :)

3 drops of Mineral / Baby Oil on my damp hair really helps the wide tooth comb slide through.

I STILL can't believe I've had the perfect detangler in my bathroom cabinet my entire life and never knew it! Every time I've used Johnson's Baby Oil on my legs and hands I made sure to not get any on my hair.

Oops...live and learn.

Same for me. I love baby oil on my hair. Best detangler and frizz healer ever for me. It makes my hair very silky and shiny :)

nobeltonya
April 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
My overall routine, and what products actually work best in my hair. :D After trying SO many different things, I finally found that my hair likes regular oiling nightly [every other night now that it's warm, with a mix of CO and something else.. currently pure and enriched CO or enriched CO and EVOO], morning shampoo, conditioning and leave-in. Combing wet, and Hawser braids [well most that I can do moderately well, but it's the one that will stay nice all day..]. :)

oddelabop
April 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Jamaican Black Castor Oil...seems to reinforce my hair at the scalp..Makes me feel like im doing some good to my hair :) protecting it or something :D

jacqueline101
April 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I'd say monistat then my oil blend.

jojo
April 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
another baby oil/mineral oil user; love what it does to my hair!

spookyghost
April 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Mineral oil and the sock bun-all on the same day!:p

spookyghost
April 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Jamaican Black Castor Oil...seems to reinforce my hair at the scalp..Makes me feel like im doing some good to my hair :) protecting it or something :D

I have the jamaican black castor oil(xtra dark) on my hair right now! I love it. I hope it helps with growth. I just used the last of my Mira oil and Im using the castor oil all over. I was just using it on my length and the Mira on my roots. Mira worked great for growth for me but its too darn expensive:( So Im keeping my fingers crossed!

earthnut
April 29th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Learning updos, and learning that updos help protect my ends, keeping my hair from tangling.

Learning the best way to put my hair up for sleep. Also I think my cheap satin pillowcase has helped a bit to prevent tangles in the morning and hair breakage.

LuckyH
April 29th, 2012, 06:59 PM
The internet! Besides that, WO every 3rd day and most importantly BBB/natural oil to ensure smoothness without blowdrying. This is pretty much a hair revolution for me which I just discovered last week...I've been using heat styling literally since 1st grade.

battles
April 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I just bought mineral oil because of this thread. :p

Carissamarie08
April 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Wearing my hair up more.

CheekAllison
April 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Goat's milk soap and vitamin e oil. The goats milk soap cuts down on my teenage oily hair and is very kind to my sensitive skin. And the oil works better than any detangler that I have ever used.

kitcatsmeow
April 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Natural sulfate and silicone free products in general and

Nightbloomings Triple Moon Anointing Oil. Makes my hair SO soft and smooth

Bene
April 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Yogurt and olive oil hair mask. I'm toying with the idea of adding an avocado to the mix.

Tisiloves
May 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Putting dilute conditioner on my roots (squeezed off the ends) in the shower. It really slows the regreasing process.

terpentyna
May 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM
Argan oil on damp hair is my recent one, lovely so far

kitcatsmeow
May 21st, 2012, 06:13 AM
Just discovered mineral oil (baby oil!) omg I'm in love. It's like friggin EUREKA! lol seriously...try it.

tori93
May 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
argan oil as a leave in conditioner

ladyfey
May 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks to GabrielleRose, Acure Organic's shampoo and conditioner.

door72067
May 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
baby oil and hair sticks

Jing
May 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Spin pins. Holy cow, I can wear my hair up without using a claw clip!

Sisgoldenhair65
May 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM
My hair LOVES coconut oil!! :)

Guenever
May 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Tea tree oil added to my vinegar rinse! :) veeery nice..

louzen
May 21st, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've been recently using Emu oil for my dry scalp, but as a side effect it has also made my hair strong, healthy and shiny! Jojoba, Coconut and Olive oil are also good oils to use. I generally saturate my scalp/hair and leave the oil on overnight about twice a week.

I have also started to use Green People Sensitive conditioner, which conditions the hair beautifully without making it fine and limp. No harsh chemicals either!

Gently combing with a wide toothed comb and using a natural boar bristle brush have also worked wonders for my hair!

And of course discovering foods that are beneficial for your hair such as eggs (the no1 food for hair), brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, etc.

DayDreamerDani
May 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM
honey deep conditioner, I love the smell =D

Me too! I keep a bottle of honey in the shower and mix it with my conditioner and leave it on while I shower and such :) makes my hair so soft and shiny. It's funny because one day I was in a hurry and forgot to use honey, and as I was trying to style my hair I realized how dry it was compared to usual and it hit me! I forgot honey! It really does wonders for my hair! And yes, the smell is lovely!

Long_hair_bear
May 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Coconut oil as a pre wash treatment and Sally's bobby pins- both recommendations by the lovely Torrin paige! :-)

henné
May 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM
I just realized my hair really doesn't need all that much attention - oiling, masks, etc. It's actually very low-maintenance.

Now I oil only 1-2 times per month and the rest of the time I just just the CWC method with diluted shampoo. Indian herbs are nice, but they're way too much work and take up too much time and I hate having to wash my shower after using them.

Keeping it simple is my latest 'obsession' :)

Honeyfall
May 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
This might sound odd, but... I use a heat cap to promote circulation, and it's really making a big difference in my growth. When I started here in February I was at 22 inches and now I am coming up on 26. :D

my2cats1
May 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
This might sound odd, but... I use a heat cap to promote circulation, and it's really making a big difference in my growth. When I started here in February I was at 22 inches and now I am coming up on 26. :D

Interesting! How do you use it? (how long, how often, with or without oil/condish?)

Honeyfall
May 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Interesting! How do you use it? (how long, how often, with or without oil/condish?)

I just put it on when I remember to, so maybe every other day? I will try to make more of a habit of it in the winter, in the summer when it's warmer and I get more exercise I don't worry about circulation as much. My nursing texts say you get the best circulation from heat within 20 - 30 minutes, and then after that the effect can be reversed and your blood vessels actually constrict a bit, so usually I just pop in on when I am here on the site for a while. I use it without oils/conditioners, though sometimes I spritz a little water on my roots to keep my scalp from getting too dry from it. :)

julierockhead
May 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM
My latest love is Shea Moisture brand organic oil spray, 8 bucks for 4 oz and really nice ingredients-

Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea Butter) , Argan Oil , Vegetable Squalane , Carrot Oil , Macadamia Nut Oil , Isopropyl Myristate , Avocado Oil , Castor Oil , Sebacic Acid , Sea Kelp Extract , Essential Oil Blend , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

Great oil for the price, a teeny bit goes a long way. I have to spray it on my hands, if I spray it on my hair I end up with an oil slick, but I think the spray bottle is going to be very nice for oiling my scalp, just part and squirt. Isopropyl Myristate looks pretty benign, according to http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/06/isopropyl-myristate/ so I feel good about this purchase :)

julierockhead
May 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM

Not weird at all, it's known as the greenhouse effect for hair...you can do this just by wearing a plastic cap and a warm winter hat to bed, it often doubles growth rate.

What kind of heat cap do you use? I am considering buying one, again. The one I had that was filled with tiny seeds and needed to be warmed up in the microwave got, um... overheated. :doh: Oh, the smell, worse than burnt popcorn!

Honeyfall
May 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Not weird at all, it's known as the greenhouse effect for hair...you can do this just by wearing a plastic cap and a warm winter hat to bed, it often doubles growth rate.

What kind of heat cap do you use? I am considering buying one, again. The one I had that was filled with tiny seeds and needed to be warmed up in the microwave got, um... overheated. :doh: Oh, the smell, worse than burnt popcorn!

Hehe, I can imagine that being a bad smell, yes. I didn't know that was the greenhouse effect, I always figured that term applied specifically to using oils on the scalp overnight somehow, but great!

I use the Thermal Spa electric heat cap ($26 on Amazon) and only turn it to the low or medium setting.

leilasahhar
May 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM
I tried the Fenugreek and love it! Thanks ;) Its amazing how this makes your hair softer than oil would.

AnqeIicDemise
May 21st, 2012, 11:48 PM
Vatika oil. It makes my scalp feel tingly in a wonderful way and my hair is super smooth. <3

Faux
May 22nd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Chi blow dryer. Drys super fast and no frizz. I love it.

SakuraGirl
May 22nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Hair sticks were a glorious day for me!
Also coconut oil

I am intrigued by mineral oil... I must look into this miracle oil!

Arashi
May 22nd, 2012, 03:40 AM
Apricot oil: my hair is loving this stuff, in fact it may be the best oil for my hair I've tried yet. (my skin is really loving it too)

Misty'sMess
May 22nd, 2012, 04:15 AM
Mineral (baby) oil sounds intriguing but please remember that Johnson's tests on animals. Instead, consider buy a cruelty-free brand.

vatikagirl
May 22nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Aussie aussome volume shampoo which i just bought few weeks back, does wonders for my hair. Really provides some nice sleek volume, infact it increases my ponytail circumference. I dont use this shampoo everytime i wash as it has sulphates but I like to use it on some social occasions. Used it 3 times in this month.

Secondly that castor oil really helps with eyebrow and eyelash growth, my album has the proof of it.

terylenerose
May 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
The Tangle Teezer. It's no miracle brush, but if I use it gently enough it doesn't break my hair at all and is pretty gentle. It also feels nice on my scalp.

Theobroma
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
EVOO. This stuff is so good for my hair as a leave-in that I can go without conditioner entirely and still have baby-soft hair.

Zesty
May 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Vinegar rinses. I have fewer problems with hard water. Also EVOOing my ends while they're still wet -- eliminates crunchy post-wash ends that I sometimes get.

Topaz
May 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Toadstool products on Etsy. My hair has never been happier :p

ravenheather
May 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Toadstool products on Etsy. My hair has never been happier :p

I love these too!

dollyfish
May 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Latest discovery/obsession is definitely the fact that using baking soda and vinegar instead of shampoo and conditioner is AMAZING. I used to have gorgeous soft waves as a small child and as I got older my hair turned almost straight and super poofy and frizzy... after washing with baking soda and vinegar for almost a month I finally have my natural toddler hair texture back! My hair is smooth and shiny and WAVY. So much love. Heavily recommend baking soda + vinegar for any no-pooers

swearnsue
May 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Taking diatomaceous earth has made my hair grow faster and almost totally cured my ibs.

akilina
May 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Newest discovery...my hair absolutely sucks and will probably NEVER be long. :( My haircut is horrible too. i have short layers and a bad disconnection to the underneath length since my hair is so thin and whispy. And my hair also sucks because I am growing out an undercut on the right side of my head that took out alot of my face framing on that side D:
I think I should chop it all off...but i already did that a year ago and it was very nice but somewhere some how my hair just got awful again.
*tear* blehhhhhh :(

GrowingGlory
May 22nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
A conditioning brushing is more effective than oiling from the inside OR outside or applying any sort of conditioner.

meteor
May 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
That brushes are not necessary for me. I got a nice wood comb and threw away all brushes: my hair LOVES it. Tangles, frizz and pain are gone... Now I'm hoping to get fewer split ends over time.

proo
May 22nd, 2012, 06:58 PM
"Pancaking" my dutch crown braid.

AcornMystic
May 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Latest hair discovery... That these new supplements that I've been taking are doing wonders for my hair already. I haven't needed to use as much argan oil or as often since my hair is getting more of what it needs through my sebum. It's not as waxy.

I saw them at Walmart a little while back while perusing through the vitamins section, hoping to find my Swiss multi-vitamin and mineral in one supplements and grabbed them because they sounded so good. I ended up getting Evening Primrose Oil gel tablets, a women's formula of vitamins and minerals, and some Omega 3-6-9 gel tablets. I'm really hoping to see an improvement in length as well, but I haven't been taking it that long. I hope to see some months again where I grow a nice solid inch in a month. We shall see! :D

julierockhead
May 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Newest discovery...my hair absolutely sucks and will probably NEVER be long. :( My haircut is horrible too. i have short layers and a bad disconnection to the underneath length since my hair is so thin and whispy. And my hair also sucks because I am growing out an undercut on the right side of my head that took out alot of my face framing on that side D:
I think I should chop it all off...but i already did that a year ago and it was very nice but somewhere some how my hair just got awful again.
*tear* blehhhhhh :(

Your hair DOES NOT suck! Someone, right now, wishes they had your hair. It will grow. It will be shiny, and full, and give you great satisfaction. When in doubt or despair, benign neglect can get you through.
:grouphug:

Wildcat Diva
May 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by akilina

Newest discovery...my hair absolutely sucks and will probably NEVER be long. My haircut is horrible too. i have short layers and a bad disconnection to the underneath length since my hair is so thin and whispy. And my hair also sucks because I am growing out an undercut on the right side of my head that took out alot of my face framing on that side D:
*tear* blehhhhhh

Your hair DOES NOT suck! Someone, right now, wishes they had your hair. It will grow. It will be shiny, and full, and give you great satisfaction. When in doubt or despair, benign neglect can get you through

I agree with Julierockhead that your hair does not suck, and it's easy to get discouraged. Don't give up, you can always improve on the quality of your hair, even if you can't change genetics!

HuggyBear
May 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
My latest greatest discovery? BEER!!! I won't drink the nasty stuff but I sure will pour it on my head! :beerchug:

BunnyWabbit
May 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Well I have a few Rediscoveries!
rediscovering this site has been great!
rediscovering my curls - and finally appreciating how much I absolutely love them.

and my favorite new discovery is lavender oil. I've always loved the smell and I'm so excited it can help stop shedding and increase growth.

Thistle4U
May 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Argan oil, ojon and Global Goddess Shine

akilina
May 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
I agree with Julierockhead that your hair does not suck, and it's easy to get discouraged. Don't give up, you can always improve on the quality of your hair, even if you can't change genetics!
Thanks guys :] I t is very easy to get discouraged. Im battling with it again. I know though that short hair would make me even more unhappy so I might as well just deal with it and maybe some benign neglect