PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatments - how long?

juliaxena
April 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hi all... I plan to do a protein treatment and I was wondering if it is true that you are only supposed to keep those on for 10 minutes tops or they can fry your hair? Another myth? Thanks all! :D

Shermie Girl
April 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I don't have the same hairtype that you do, so take my answer with a tiny grain of salt. ;) I do protein treatments, my hair loves that stuff! I keep my protein treatments in as long as I can, at least a half an hour. I often let them go longer, since I am usually in my heating cap and incredibly relaxed and don't want to get up and rinse, when I am "supposed" to.

I never get that crunchy, fried thing from protein. One thing to remember when you do a protein treatment is that you must follow it up with a deep moisture treatment. The moisture balances the protein and should prevent that crunchy, fried thing. :D

juliaxena
April 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you! My hair did react badly to protein before but not always. I am trying to figure out wheter it was about a type of protein or time. Or maybe none of the two :). For those whose hair loves protein, do you always need moisture treatment after?

Shermie Girl
April 28th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Thank you! My hair did react badly to protein before but not always. I am trying to figure out wheter it was about a type of protein or time. Or maybe none of the two :). For those whose hair loves protein, do you always need moisture treatment after?

I always follow up protein with moisture and never have the crunchies. You can try a combo protein/moisture product, too. Even with those, I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. :)

Nilyenea
April 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Out of curiosity what type of protein treatment do you use? Self made or bought? You have beautiful hair.