PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hair out of face without toys

dRummie
April 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Turn on any TV show and you'll find actresses sporting gorgeous hair-down styles that don't fall all over their faces when they look down. Any tips for achieving this? The obvious solution is hairspray, but here we like to do without that, don't we ;)

Just to be clear, I'm talking about wearing hair completely down, no clips or combs, and no tucking behind ears. It won't be completely out of the way, sure, but just some way to keep it out of one's eyes or from covering half one's face. My first instinct is hard hold gel..... any thoughts?

Bene
April 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Um... hairspray, super glue, and some aggressive back combing. You're kind of asking for the impossible.

brave
April 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I cut massive bangs, but YMMV. :p

BeckyAH
April 28th, 2012, 08:22 AM
You can try Aloe Vera Gel, but honestly? The answer is hairspray, heavy product, backcombing, and heat styling.

Though for me: Ditto the above. Bangs.

nobeltonya
April 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, it's like when it's a super windy day, and peoples' hair doesn't move AT ALL.. and they actually have some length.. too much hair spray, gel, mousse, or something...

Dragon Faery
April 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Their hair is touched up before every shot, so technically unless you want an army of stylists following you around making sure every hair stays in place, you're most likely out of luck. :p

I "invented" a style back when my hair was Waist length which looked like it was simply tucked behind my ears, but actually firmly kept my hair out of my face all day.
I had no fringe, so I took the front section of my hair (however much I felt like), parted it down the middle, smoothed each side down behind my ear and under the rest of my hair to the nape of my neck, and ponytailed those two sections together at the nape, beneath my hair. It worked kind of like an invisible headband.
I know that's not really what you're asking for, but it is the only way I've ever found to wear my hair "down" yet keep it out of my face.

dRummie
April 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Let me clarify - the TV bit was to provide a rough visual, I'm not wondering how to get hair that doesn't move. Rather, how to encourage it to fall to the side instead of forward over your face. It's the same principle as clipping wet hair to get root volume, or sleeping on it funny and having it stick up all day.

For example, I have had moderate success by combing it back with some diluted gel - when it dries, it's reluctant to fall forward. But maybe others have better methods, hence the thread :)

Hollyfire3
April 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
You could try drying with a headband in? Or maybe a side part so the hair is on one side not both? Try clipping back the sides, try a small headband...its all trial and error, and also, TV stars with pretty hair (to me) have movement to their hair and yes hair does fall into their faces its common and I think it looks better than slicked, hairsprayed hair. I take my hand and kind of pull my sides back and let them fall forward, it keeps them out of my face for a little while.

teela1978
April 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
does pushing it behind your ears not work? that's my usual plan.

HintOfMint
April 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
It's possible that it falls a certain way due to a natural part or a cowlick. You could theoretically "train" your hair to fall a certain way by having it pulled in that direction for a while, like in a ponytail. Kind of like changing your part.

Neneka
April 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I cut massive bangs, but YMMV. :p

I kind of did too and it's working. :D

trolleypup
April 28th, 2012, 12:00 PM
does pushing it behind your ears not work? that's my usual plan.
Well, if you have the length for the weight of the hair to keep it behind you, that works. I mean, mine stays back without putting it behind my ears, but I think that only started when I got past classic!

earthnut
April 28th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Being careful to move your head certain ways, particularly keeping your head at an angle, will help corral how the hair falls. I am always forgetting to put my hair back before doing garden work, and I usually cope by keeping most of my hair on one side and tossing my head back a lot. (and I can't touch it either because my hands are dirty) Then I get fed up and go get a clip. ;)

solitudinarian
April 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Yes, it's like when it's a super windy day, and peoples' hair doesn't move AT ALL.. and they actually have some length.. too much hair spray, gel, mousse, or something...

yes! what is wrong with people, haha how do they do this? I saw a girl with long hair (probably almost near her back bone), all in one lenght. She was biking down hill and her hair just lay still, perfectly still. it didn't flick at all! not a single hair moved and yet it looked so natural, as if she hadn't done anything to her hair.
:agape:
(she wasn't wearing a helmet to force it down either) I was so baffled, cause my hair, even if thick, blows everywhere all the time, to the slightest breeze it'll shift entirely on my head/go in my face etc etc :S

manderly
April 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Actually, there's a lot of bobby pins hiding in those seemingly natural down styles. They kind of pull a small strand from the front sides to the back and pin them under the center hair. It creates a sort of headband/half upish without looking like one.