PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair and PRO LAYERS

Nedertane
April 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Some days I feel like the only person on this whole forum who has fine hair and likes their layers, but that can't be true, right?

While I have nothing against blunt cuts, and I know others on here love their blunt cuts to death (which is itself awesome, and they look awesome), I don't think I'll be heading back to a blunt cut any time soon. I just look too much like some ultra-long paintbrush lol. With layers, though, I get a nice, and (in my opinion) kinda wild-looking taper, and it feels lighter and breezier. :D

So I wanted to see who else on this big ol' board has fine hair that's layered and likes it! What do you like about the layers? Why do you think they work for you? Love to hear your input!

jaine
April 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I have fine hair, average thickness, and I love my layers! Without layers my hair would be bottom-heavy and triangle-shaped...with layers it's oval-shaped and a lot more flattering.

BeckyAH
April 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
My hair is not fine, but I have and love my layers. A lot.

Sunny_side_up
April 28th, 2012, 05:34 AM
My hair is pretty fine, and with my use of cones has a slipperyness to it as my sis pointed out the other day when she was trying to do an updo on me from her 50's hairstles book! My hair didnt co-op and she gave up, but told me my hair is sooo soft and silky:D I have spent the last few years evening it up then some mini layers and evening up again:rolleyes: i have bangs that are growing out and those kinda look like layers:p windy days i just wear a hair band.
Anyways i on and off think about layers, when i had passing bsl many years ago it was even, so i have never had a long layered cut, so this is something that ive recently thought i could go for! Im not an up-do person really and did like the swing and movement loose layered hair gives me. I'm spending some time mulling this over.:D

Knotted
April 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I have fine hair and layers, but I never thought too much about them one way or another. I'm okay with them, I'm okay with my hair in a blunt cut.

Jessibear2854
April 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'm a fan of my layers now that they are longer. My hair is almost never "neat" so I don't mind a few strands poking out of a braid. IMO the layers make my hair look more styled than blunt would. Plus, I know that my hair tends to get frizzy and blunt +frizzy is not a good combo.

millyaulait
April 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have thin/fine hair, I've never been without layers. :)

I find they give my hair more body when I wear it down. I think without them my hair would be too flat looking and lifeless.

Although - I guess I am sort of letting them grow out because I'm not trimming or anything as my hair grows so they are getting long & disappearing from my face area.

I keep being told that layers make hair look thinner & finer, and I do have thin/fine hair, but I've never ever had a blunt cut so I don't even know what it would look like on me.

I kind of want to see what a blunt cut would look like, but I have no idea how to style such a thing. I also keep hearing "I hate my layers!!!" (especially when it comes to up-dos) so often that I get a little brainwashed into thinking that people are only happy with their long hair if it's all one length. :p

florenonite
April 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I have fine hair and layers. For me the layers give my hair more body and a nicer shape, so I prefer layers for wearing down, but a blunt cut for updos. If only I could change it day by day ... :p

amantha
April 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I have fine hair and I love having long layers. I feel like they make my hair lay nicer when it's down (which is like 95% of the time). They also make my waves sit nicely too. If I had a blunt cut, my hair would just look like some weird, heavy curtain down my back. I think blunt cuts look nice on a lot of people, but not me for some reason.

LaurelSpring
April 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I have fine hair and I am a layer convert. I was totally anti layer until I got to Tb. It was really kind of bumming me out. I was struggling with it alot and it felt heavy and awkward. So I put in some layers and it was like having new hair. It was lighter and easier to deal with and I could still put it up and do most of the things I did before.

After my spring layer session I dont think I want as many layers as I put in it, but I am definately keeping my front layers and fringe and enough layering in the back to keep it light and breezy.

My avatar is my inspiration.

teela1978
April 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I"ve actually been contemplating layers for a while now... just need to get up and go to the salon... and find a salon that I trust...

During grad school self-trims were so much more economical that I abandoned layers, its a habit that I've kept even as my salary has tripled :) Might be time to splurge on a real haircut one of these days!

dulce
April 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I had layers and it made my hem thinner and my overall hair looked thinner so I grew them out.Plus they stuck out of my braids and buns.

MissManda
April 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I don't consider myself to be anti-layers and I have fine hair. :) The layered cut that I really disliked and eventually grew out just did not happen to suit me at all and even though I didn't realize it at the time, the hairdresser had taken out 2/3 of my overall thickness. :(

I am very happy with my blunt hemline and that all of those layers are gone, but that doesn't mean that I won't ever try layers again. I think they are quite pretty. I'll just be more careful with whom I allow to cut my hair and I will know exactly what I want. Until I start wanting layers, though, I'm going to enjoy my blunt cut. :D

MonaLisa
April 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
My hair is extremely fine, and I am pretty sure I will always have my layers :)
Can't imagine a blunt cut on me...just wouldn't feel my image, personality etc!

teal
April 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
*hand up* I do! I also like fairytale ends...

einna
April 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I have fine/medium hair, and layers work great for my hair - when done correctly. My hair is thick though..

pink.sara
April 29th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I have fine straight hair but lots of it and layers are sooo much nicer on me.

At the moment it's just past APL and blunt cut, but once it's BSL I'll go have it heavily layered and thinned so I can fit the ends into more updos. Layers help with the slinky-ness.

Nedertane
April 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I have fine hair and I am a layer convert. I was totally anti layer until I got to Tb. It was really kind of bumming me out. I was struggling with it alot and it felt heavy and awkward. So I put in some layers and it was like having new hair. It was lighter and easier to deal with and I could still put it up and do most of the things I did before.

After my spring layer session I dont think I want as many layers as I put in it, but I am definately keeping my front layers and fringe and enough layering in the back to keep it light and breezy.

My avatar is my inspiration.

Who is in your avatar, if you don't mind my asking? She reminds me of Nightwish's former singer, Tarja Turonen.

MinderMutsig
April 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I think a lot of people on here do not like layers in general because they mess with braids and updos. Also a lot of people do not agree with the notion that layers help thin hair look fuller. (Because they don't, they just make the hair look thin, thinner, thinnest.)

But I don't think there are a lot of people on here who have a problem with fine hair and layers perse. I have fine hair and a 4-4.5" circumference. Layers were my BFF until APL because they helped prevent triangle head. Now that it's BSL I think I'm out of the woods triangle-head-wise and am in the process of growing my layers out so my updo's and braids will no longer have bits and pieces sticking out. I can't wait until they're finally gone!

oktobergoud
April 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I have fine hair (not thin but just fine) and I do love layers! However, with my hairtype (1c and fine!) the ends of the layers always look horrible. But I just wouldn't want a blunt hemline, because that wouldn't feel.. me? So, I do like the layers! I just don't like what they do to my ends ;)

florenonite
April 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I think a lot of people on here do not like layers in general because they mess with braids and updos. Also a lot of people do not agree with the notion that layers help thin hair look fuller. (Because they don't, they just make the hair look thin, thinner, thinnest.)

But I don't think there are a lot of people on here who have a problem with fine hair and layers perse. I have fine hair and a 4-4.5" circumference. Layers were my BFF until APL because they helped prevent triangle head. Now that it's BSL I think I'm out of the woods triangle-head-wise and am in the process of growing my layers out so my updo's and braids will no longer have bits and pieces sticking out. I can't wait until they're finally gone!

I have to disagree with the bolded. I have fine, thick hair, and while layers at shorter lengths prevent triangle-head, they also help with adding body when my hair's longer because they're short and more floaty. I don't know if the same holds true for people with thinner hair, but layers don't necessarily make hair look thinner.

terylenerose
April 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I may or may not have fine hair. I also have layers, but I didn't know what I was doing when I cut them in so I'm growing them out. They're also really hard to S&D properly and my hair tends to fill itself with splits. I think layers make my hair curl better, but in my opinion it's not worth it. It's possible that someday I will decide to put layers back in, because sometimes I do like them.

spidermom
April 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I used to have fine hair but it was very thick, and layers worked very well for me. I would think that fine and thin hair might look scraggly with layers, depending on how they were done, of course.

jojo
April 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I like layers on others but on me they make my hair look thinner and it gets more rat taily plus I dont like bits sticking out in buns, braids etc...each to their own!