PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me What You Do With Aloe Vera Gel!

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
So I just bought a large jug of this stuff at my natural store and I am eager to use it. It was recommended to me for helping my hair to stay in place, but I was wondering what you all do with it. Do you use it for skin? (I've heard it can be used in place of moisturizer) Body wash? Hair treatment? Hair mist? I"m eager to hear what other people do as I start experimenting myself. :D

Seeshami
April 27th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Slather it all over me and smirk to myself knowing I will stay this pale forever.

catamonica
April 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I use the aloe gel on my face. It helps smooth facial lines . I also put some in my conditioner.
It makes your hair baby soft. A capful or two is all you need to add. It makes your hair
baby soft. I read it also promtes hair growth. Hope that helps.

JLeighs
April 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Rake it into wet hair to use it as a gel. When it's dry, I scrunch out the crunch.

Idjit
April 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I use mine as a moisturizer for my face. I mix a few drops of apricot oil with a squirt of the aloe. I also use this mixture to tame frizz.

Kelikea
April 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I use it as a moisturizer, burn salve, rub it into my scalp, normal hair and skin stuff. But I also made hand sanitizer. 3/4c isopropyl alcohol, 1/4c avg, a bit of glycerine and 8 drops tea tree oil.

Kyla
April 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I run it through my length when my hair is wet, it makes it so nice and soft. :)

I also use it as a moisturizer after washing my face.

Nedertane
April 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Mix it with my leave-in conditioner and use it as a moisturizer for my skin. Wonderful stuff.

ravenreed
April 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
My hair hates it. It gives me the worst split ends. Additionally, it turns out that I am allergic to aloe vera. So, I gave up on it.

Amarante
April 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I tried it as a moisturizer, but it left my skin too dry. So, I've been mixing it 50/50 with my moisturizer, and I like it that way. It keeps my facial lotion from being too rich. I also mix it with coconut oil and use it as a leave in after I wash it.

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Wow, those are all great ideas. I am going to try it as a moisturizer and hair treatment. Hopefully it will work for me; I really like the idea of it. Thank you all for sharing!!

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Slather it all over me and smirk to myself knowing I will stay this pale forever.
Haha, that is me as well! I m very pale and intend to stay that way, largely because I do not tan well and get red!

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I use the aloe gel on my face. It helps smooth facial lines . I also put some in my conditioner.
It makes your hair baby soft. A capful or two is all you need to add. It makes your hair
baby soft. I read it also promtes hair growth. Hope that helps.
That's a good idea; maybe it would make my conditioner stretch further!

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM
My hair hates it. It gives me the worst split ends. Additionally, it turns out that I am allergic to aloe vera. So, I gave up on it.
Oh, that sounds very unpleasant. I'm sorry you were allergic! :(

ravenreed
April 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Aw thanks. I am so allergic to everything. I shouldn't be surprised.

Oh, that sounds very unpleasant. I'm sorry you were allergic! :(

kittengirl
April 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Aw thanks. I am so allergic to everything. I shouldn't be surprised.
I'm allergic to a lot of stuff too...it's really annoying. I hope I'm not allergic to the aloe vera, though it does seen like something that would happen! :rolleyes:

ravenreed
April 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I mostly react to the raw aloe vera. I used to use it on scrapes and whatnot. It turns out that the plant has a natural latex and I am allergic to that, which is what I react to. :cool:

I'm allergic to a lot of stuff too...it's really annoying. I hope I'm not allergic to the aloe vera, though it does seen like something that would happen! :rolleyes:

Dars
April 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I use it as a hair gel for finishing an updo and flyaways in place.

Emy Sue
April 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I find aloe vera gel too sticky to use for anything, really. It leaves my hair nasty, it makes my face flake, and my body stays sticky until it washes off. I have heard using 100% pure aloe vera gel as a treatment for IBD (like Crohn's and Colitis) when taken internally. But I am afraid to try it, with how it reacts as sticky goo with my body chemistry.

I hope it works for you! Keep us posted!

LadyKate
April 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Slather it on my obnoxiously frequent sunburns. It soothes the skin and keeps it moisturized to minimize peeling.

Jessibear2854
April 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Pretty much this. And for after a sunburn. I keep it in the fridge for that reason :) it feels awesome!

Sady
April 28th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I have really dry skin, so just putting aloe vera gel as a moisturizer is not enough, and I can't only use oil, because my skin gets all weird from the lack of humectants (things that draw water from the air into the skin). So what I do is I put a layer of aloe vera gel on, and then a layer of coconut oil to seal it in. This is very moisturizing.
As a lot also have mentioned I also use it in my hair, but only if I know that I can keep my hair in a bun, because it makes my hair too "crunchy".
I also second using it for sunburns - fridge cooled aloe vera gel is fantastic on sunburns.

Carrie Ingalls
April 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
This thread reminded me of an insignificant question that I never get around to asking.

When you are using aloe vera gel in your hair etc, do you only use the clear kind, or do you use some of the ones that are tinted green? I know the ones marketed specifically for sunburns seem to usually be green. Just curious. :)

Hollyfire3
April 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM
This thread reminded me of an insignificant question that I never get around to asking.

When you are using aloe vera gel in your hair etc, do you only use the clear kind, or do you use some of the ones that are tinted green? I know the ones marketed specifically for sunburns seem to usually be green. Just curious. :)

The green aloe gels are not used for hair, they contain numbing chemicals for use on sunburns that I believe would not be very pleasent for hair use. The question is not insignificant, it is pretty much vital to know which aloe gel to get if you want to try it. :)

PolarCathy
April 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM
For me it's painfully slow and expensive to get AVG here where only reindeer exist so I have to carefully consider what I use it for. I buy it off eBay UK...
I use it on my face (basically the only thing that I use on my face apart from water) and I tame my baby hairs with it. AVG rulez!

Seeshami
April 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Haha, that is me as well! I m very pale and intend to stay that way, largely because I do not tan well and get red!

We must be skin twins. I don't call it tanning I call it lobstering

Pretty much this. And for after a sunburn. I keep it in the fridge for that reason :) it feels awesome!

I always forget to put it in the fridge to try it!

Idjit
April 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
We must be skin twins. I don't call it tanning I call it lobstering.

Hey, me too! Even if I use a ton of SPF 70 sunscreen I still turn into a lobster. Then I peel and seem to just turn whiter.

Seeshami
April 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Yay for fair skin! :p

Mina17
April 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I use it to smooth down my fuzzy baby hairs after I put my hair up.