PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with new hair color-need some love!

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
What I wanted was my hair colored back to my natural color so it will be easier to grow out my bleached highlights. My natural color is ash blonde or dishwater blonde so I figured I would just embrace that color and try to use cassia or something to maybe bring out a little golden glow or something close to it.

What I got was not close to what I wanted. My roots look strawberry blonde, almost orangy. My length isnt as in your face as my roots. My roots are about 2 1/2 inches long.

Im pretty sad right now. Im really embarrased by the roots. I had to go Wal -mart afterwards and I was kinda embarrased.

Now my hubby and 17 year old son didnt even notice that I did anything to my hair-which is kinda funny!:lol: I looked at them and said, "How can you not notice these orange roots?" They just looked at me with this blank stare:p Godbless them-they didnt have a clue! That actually made me happy. Because both my hubby and sons will tell you their honest opinion. Whether you want to hear it or not! So I'm feeling at least a little better that it doesnt look as bad as I think or they would have told me. DH said, once he looked real good at it, that he likes the color. But it wasnt what I wanted-not even close. So even though my wonderful family made me feel better, I still feel really bad about it. I'm real close to crying:(

This is what bothers me about it:
1. The roots! Wow-what happened? My hair and especially the roots do not look like the swatch at all! How is the swatch one shade lighter than ash blonde and I get orangy-strawberry blonde roots? I know I have bleach highlights and some auburn from over a year ago but roots are virgin. So that was straight-up ash blonde hair!

2. The fact that I was mentally prepared for a dishwater blonde color-mostly. I was really worried about how dark it would be because I am so use to blonde hair and actually feel that I look better with it. I did pick the shade lighter than ash for this reason. But what I picked was still in the ash shade area-it wasnt strawberry blonde or really blonde at all!

What the heck happened? I dont blame my hair dresser at all-or mostly anyway;) Just because we agreed on the swatch and she mixed the stuff up for that. I dont know if my hair just reacted to it crazy or what! I didnt spaz in the salon or anything. I did tell her that my roots were too strawberyy blonde or orangy and she agreed but she liked the color on me. But she would anyway right? I just stared at it not knowing what to think or say. I have this problem with not liking something new on my hair and just needing to get used to it but its more than that this time. Its not that I have to get used to the color. Its that its a color that if I kept I would have to keep getting it colored. I wanted my natural color so I wouldnt keep coloring or putting chemicals in my hair. This needs upkeep. Not what I wanted.

My hairdresser told me to let her know if I want anything done to it to make it better and of course she would do it. I dont think I can live with this so Im just thinking of going back and having it colored either straight up ash or the shade darker. I am thinking of living with it for a while until my roots are bad and then getting the darker put in but I dont think I can wait. If she can fix this on Monday then Im there! I oil my hair all the time and I did a marocann oil repair mask and put coconut oil in my hair today before I got it colored. So I feel my hair can handle the darker color.

Any kind words? I just cant stop thinking about this color. Im watching Tv on my laptop with a vodka and squirt:p

shutterpillar
April 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Do you have a picture? I would like to see how it looks.

I did something similar recently, though I did a box dye at home. I was hoping to get my natural color (an ashy brown) so the growing out process would look a little less strange, and of course I expected some red to poke through since my hair was red before I colored it. So, I dyed my hair my natural color and when it was dry, the red was still very prominent. I will not be dying my hair again, so I am stuck with it.

Depending on how much you truly hate it and how much it will bother you, I would get it fixed. But if its really not that bad, then leave it alone and hope it fades some as time goes on.

Elenna
April 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Natural hair color is not the same as dyed hair color. It is indeed a shock at first to see your own natural color. Maybe, you will get used to it or maybe not. But IMHO the longer your hair grows (in good condition) the prettier it gets.

I have waist length brown & silver hair. When I first started growing out the dye, I had some brown low-lights placed in to soften the transition.

I'm not sure whether you want to grow out your hair dye or just want to cover up your roots.

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I will have to see if my dh can help me with the pics because I am very computer challanged:lol: That will probably be some time tomarrow. Im sitting here with Mira and castor oil in my hair! Its not like Im scared of the color fading-haha! I even chuckled at that one:p:p

Shutterpillar-Looks like you feel my pain. That was my plan also-to get it colored, as close as it could be, to my natural color to make the growing out process easier on the eyes. Because I know that I coudnt handle my natural hair half way down my head and then the rest bleach highlights. I just know that I couldnt handle that. Thats just me.

I think what bothers the most is the roots. If the color was just closer to my natural color that the roots wouldnt look so bad as my hair grows, I would be able to suck it up more:)

Elenna-right now Im thinking of covering up my whole head! I know some readers are going to cringe but I cant help it. You are right. It is a shock when you see your natural hair color for the first time again-I was just expecting to see ash blonde and not strawberry blonde!

filthygorgeous
April 27th, 2012, 06:34 PM
the gr8 thing about bleached hair and growing it out is that the ombre/ melt trend is really hot right now. I was going thru the same thing and was thinking about dying it all natural to help but i did love the blonde and dying it would just damage it worse so I just started growing it out. everyone thought i was dying my roots to look like that and asking who did my hair! just let it grow out now and the orange will fade a lil.

spidermom
April 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think the orange will fade, too. Colored hair always looks different about 2 weeks after.

Mesmerise
April 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I have to agree with spidermom. I think you'll find that the colour fades, especially over your roots which were virgin hair. Colours that are reddish/orangish usually fade the fastest too, I find. But I have rarely dyed my hair a colour and actually had it STAY that colour forever (I say rarely, but I did once use a really good black dye that just STAYED PUT!)

Over time, the roots will fade and will match more with your new roots. I don't know what the contrast is like between that and the rest of your hair, but I would say give it AT LEAST another month and see how it looks then!

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks so much for all your kind words;) I needed it!

Filthygorous-what is ombre/melt?

You all are probably right as far as it fading. It will be nice when I am back to my natural color-truly back. You know-years from now:lol: This is just too much stress:p

Im starting to just be grateful its not fried or chopped off. You know when something upsets you how you'll start thinking of how things could be worse? I do that. So thats what Im doing now. Thinking of all the good things;)

Hollyfire3
April 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
You could always fade it yourself with lots of olive oil (it is said to pull out just dyed color) or a harsh shampoo for a few washes (think Pert or a bit of dish soap, maybe just clarify your hair?) I dye my hair a bit darker and the lady messed it up this last time, it was not at all dark enough..I was going to go have it fixed but waited a month and a half and did it myself (I plan to color my hair myself from now on) because dyeing it again is just too damaging, no matter how much you have been babying it. Maybe try some non-harsh or at least non-damagin ways to fade the color or just wait a bit and see if it fades, I wouldn't re-color, your poo hair would have been through so much.

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
You could always fade it yourself with lots of olive oil (it is said to pull out just dyed color) or a harsh shampoo for a few washes (think Pert or a bit of dish soap, maybe just clarify your hair?) I dye my hair a bit darker and the lady messed it up this last time, it was not at all dark enough..I was going to go have it fixed but waited a month and a half and did it myself (I plan to color my hair myself from now on) because dyeing it again is just too damaging, no matter how much you have been babying it. Maybe try some non-harsh or at least non-damagin ways to fade the color or just wait a bit and see if it fades, I wouldn't re-color, your poo hair would have been through so much.

Good ideas. I am going to check into non-damaging ways to fade hair color. Since my family thinks it looks fine, although I dont know how, I might just wait it out a little. Or at least try because I'm ok until I look in the mirror and then all that positive stuff Im telling myself goes out the window:lol: Once I get my natural color back, I plan on using cassia to lighten it just a little. So I too wont be going back to the salon for a color;)

Hollyfire3
April 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Good ideas. I am going to check into non-damaging ways to fade hair color. Since my family thinks it looks fine, although I dont know how, I might just wait it out a little. Or at least try because I'm ok until I look in the mirror and then all that positive stuff Im telling myself goes out the window:lol: Once I get my natural color back, I plan on using cassia to lighten it just a little. So I too wont be going back to the salon for a color;)

I know EXACTLY how you feel, trust me, I have had the same experience, on multiple occasions when the dye wasn't dark enough, no wonder I don't go to that stylist anymore....I say tonight do a deep oiling with olive oil if you think it won't be too heavy or have nowhere to go tommorow in case it is. Try this: Clarify with your strongest shampoo, don't condition, slather in olive oil and leave on overnight, rinse out int he morning with CO or maybe wash again if you want. See if that doesn't help. I say do this tonight because the longer you wait the more time the color has to set and the harder it is to lighten, if you fade it yourself, you can control the fade and not wait until it is so washed out you hate it come a month or so from now. I say nip it in the bud now and fade it to the desired shade. The Cassia I would say to wait a bit on, it only deposits a very faint and short-lasting layer of off yellow-brown color, not sure that's what you want. Camomile tea is supposed to be good for brightening blonde hair, as is honey maybe mixed into a DT (not a full honey lightening, just enough to brighten to the right hue). Good luck and get to work fast, it will be better in NO time at all!:):)