PDA

View Full Version : Painful updos?

Singinghoneybee
April 26th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I would like to get some advice. My hair is currently just below shoulder length and finally long enough to braid. Yesterday, I French braided my hair and, when I took it down to wash it, my scalp felt like I had been scraping it with a rake. Is this normal? I haven't had long-ish hair in so long that I can't remember. I tried to braid it rather loosely (honestly, I haven't French braided in so long I don't think I'm capable of doing it tightly).

longcurlygirl<3
April 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe it was to tight and in for too long? I get that as well after being all over the place and the updo "jumps" so my scalp hurts after like 3 days straight of updos. Give it a massage with oil and bend down to let blood flow, that works for me :)

moxamoll
April 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Your hair follicles naturally lay to one direction, so it can be uncomfortable to force them in another direction. Over time, some people completely adjust and others will always have some degree of "sensitive scalp." I can wear most updos for about 8 hours (just long enough for work!) but then I need to let them down or change the style.

Practice and experimentation will help you find the most comfortable styles and get your hair used to moving in different directions.

Madora
April 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
You might try wearing your French braid style only for an hour or so, then go back to a regular braid. Over time, try and extend the time the hair is in the French braid..say from one hour to an hour and a half. Each week, try and extend the time the hair is up in the French braid. Eventually, your follicles will become accustomed to being drawn in the different direction and you'll be able to wear the French braid for longer durations.

ravenheather
April 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
My hair does this. It bugs me to have my hair in an updo for too long. But it is getting longer before I need to change it.

Laylah
April 26th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Maybe it's because you did the braid too loose. This hasn't happened with braids for me, but if I do my updos too loose, it make the weight of the hair rest on only a couple of strands at the top (as if the updo were hanging by those strands) instead of having tension from all sides.

dwell_in_safety
April 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM
It may have been too tight or too loose, as mentioned. I get a sore scalp for a few days in a row at a time, and it is always my last 2-3 days before wash day. I normally wear my hair all different positions on my head, including a very loose braided bun on the top of my head to sleep, and it only happens in the days preceding a wash, so I think it's from my scalp's desiring a gentle wash. I don't know why that happens, but it does.

Springgrl
April 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My head HURTS!!!! when it is in an up-do for too long. I will start to get a headache and get grumpy. I have to take it down at work sometimes so I don't snap at people! I put it up in styles that are supposed to be super comfortable. It has gotten a little better, but I still have problems having my hair up for 8 hours for work. I have always worried that it would cause hair loss or something... but it seems pretty normal.

Springgrl
April 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh I forgot to mention... Sock buns with a perimeter braid seem to be the most comfortable for me. No ponytails and no bobby pins. Also, sectioning the hair and doing multiple braids (as Madora wisely suggested to me once) also helps. It just takes more time in the morning!

I suppose this is advice for the future now that I read how long your hair is!!! Oops :)

ladyshep
April 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Your hair follicles naturally lay to one direction, so it can be uncomfortable to force them in another direction. Over time, some people completely adjust and others will always have some degree of "sensitive scalp." I can wear most updos for about 8 hours (just long enough for work!) but then I need to let them down or change the style.

Practice and experimentation will help you find the most comfortable styles and get your hair used to moving in different directions.

Totally agree.

Singinghoneybee
April 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you for all of the advice! I will have to experiment now. :)

elbow chic
April 28th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I got it too, when I first started wearing my hair up a lot. It's a weird feeling, isn't it?

But I don't anymore.

CocoBean
April 28th, 2012, 11:16 PM
This happens to me when I wash my hair before bed, and while wet, updo it high and wrap it. Next morning, even though it's not totally dry, it hurts to take it down because it's going against the 'grain', if that makes sense? It takes a while to feel normal again, but totally know what you're feeling. Good post earlier about just braiding it for short period of time and then gradually work up.