PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie out

newuanda
April 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm finding so much information on this forum it's almost overwhelming.

Let me tell you what my hair is like and routine is like and then see if anyone can give some words of widsom.

I wash every three to four days. I blow dry it when it's damp dry - usually use a heat protectant. I sometimes curl or use a straightener. Curling is almost useless though b/c my hair hardly holds a curl. Straightening I do just for sleekness. But my hair is pretty stick straight anyway.
I do try to do monthly hair treatments.
I've started taking a hair/nail supplement that contains Biotin.

Problems:

my hair seems to be pretty dry - I didn't have a problem switching from daily washing to every 3 - 4 days. No grease happening here.

I'm losing a lot of hair - had a baby about 4 months ago and this has happened after each one - so my hair is not thick anymore

What I want/questions:

Will my hair thicken up? I can't remember if it ever did before I got pregnant again. Once it did finally thicken up I just thought it was because I was having another baby. Since I'm not sure if we will have another baby, so I hope that it will thicken.

I'm a product junkie - not that I use a lot of products daily, but I'm a sucker for anything that smells good and that I think might help my hair. So, if you had one product that you think would help my hair grow faster, be thicker, not so dry, and smooth, let me know.

Any other advice. What articles should I take my time reading first?

BeckyAH
April 26th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I would seriously ditch the straightener. Especially if your hair is pretty straight anyway - in conjuction with drying, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

One product? Coconut oil.

nobeltonya
April 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Don't blow fry or straighten.. even using a heat protectant, it's still not good for your hair. If you want to curl it, try wet bunning or braiding it. Don't over use products also, as they will build up and cause other problems of their own.. I second coconut oil. I generally oil at night, massaging the scalp and leaving on until the morning, when I wash it out.. I wash every day, and condition nicely and leave it on for at least 5 minutes. I also use leave-in, and no heat at all. Scalp massages and coconut oil, especially used together, should help you thicken up your hair.. it helped me. :) Massaging increases circulation to the scalp, which also increases nourishment for your hair and helps it grow.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
If you are finding that your hair is very dry you could try a conditioner only (CO) wash regime, it is much less drying on the hair and can help to add the sleekness you say you like.

BeckyAH suggestion is also a good one, it will help add moisture and lock in moisture and protein while offering some protection, sleekness and shine.

I personally found that the best thing for my dry, heat damaged hair was a combination of the two above.

p.s. Welcome :D

newuanda
April 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Also should say that I don't have any color other than natural highlights from the sun and it seems to be pretty healthy. I have no idea on hair growth as I just measured for the first time today.

nobeltonya - isn't braiding or bunning when wet bad - I could be wrong but thought that your hair is the weakest when wet. Does your pillowcase get icky from the coconut oil? I will read up on the coconut oil

nobeltonya
April 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Don't do it too tight. Or, you could leave it loose until it's half dry, then braid or bun it. That's what I've been doing lately. Don't leave it up ALL day wet also, as it should have a chance to dry so you don't get irritation or a fungus.. :) My hair almost seems stronger wet.. :p I haven't noticed any oiliness on my pillow, but I also apply it a few hours before I go to sleep, so it has a chance to absorb.

Amber_Maiden
April 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Stopping straightening. If you can stop blowdrying- stop doing that as well. Wear your hair up. As for the thinning, that's hormones, so you have to wait that out... Coconut oil might help with dryness, as will as doing several SMTs. Try to stretch your washing to weekly, if you can and if your hair is not oily.

Aeltt
April 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Articles that helped me the most :
Damaged hair; understanding, preventing & rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) by Nightshade
And Whats wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) by Kirin
As well as Ursula's Standard Newbie (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)
Then there's heidi w.'s Oiling Tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71) if you've never oiled before.

Welcome here ! :)