PDA

View Full Version : Texture & oil preference

PinkyCat
April 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I've been reading a lot about people loving baby oil on their hair. I haven't tried it - but I use olive and coconut and have fine curly hair.

Whats your combo & why does it work for you? (check all that apply)

How do you fix spelling in the poll? *COARSE*

buttercupmcgee
April 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM
My favorite oil is actually Jojoba--it's the closest thing out there to hair's natural sebum.

I have wavy hair, fine/medium, and I love jojoba for the softening properties it has, yet ease of washing out. I also love coco and olive but have to wash more thoroughly after a heavy application.

Avital88
April 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
my favourite is amla oil ,its empty , so i mostly use avocado and argan oil now

nobeltonya
April 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Coarse, wavy, a mixture of a few oils. I generally mix coconut oil with something else.. lately DV enriched coconut oil [before it was with DV enriched olive oil]. I've also mixed the enriched CO with EVOO.

Amber_Maiden
April 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have medium/coarse hair and it is wavy. I like coconut oil, but I prefer a mixture of a few oils the most.

whitedove
April 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I have fine and wavy hair and currently just using baby oil. I found coconut little too heavy and made me want to wash more often. I am liking baby oil for the lightness and the ability to stretch washes.

My mum has m/c wavy and I use coconut on her hair, it loves it.

pink.sara
April 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Straight, fine and coconut here :)

It's not too heavy and seems to do the most good as a deep oiling.

pelicano
My hair is fine and curly, and my hair loves argan and camellia oils best. I tried baby oil, but it didn't seem any better than argan or camellia.

I find coconut too rich for my hair - it's too easy to overload on it.

Gogobaby
Argan oil is a firm fave for wet hair - when the hair dries it is amazing. Amla darbur is also a gave and so is coconut, but can be greasy.

Once in a church my hair caught on fire for a split second while lighting candles. I wasnt hurt but the hair shrivelled up. I repeatedly put baby oil on it and funnily it restored it!

swearnsue
I like different oils for different things, but for putting on damp hair after shampooing, I've been using baby oil. If I use the tiniest amount on the ends then it keeps my hair from getting static. And I love the smell (probably the main reason to tell the truth).

HintOfMint
April 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I use different oils for different things. I actually have had some success with using castor oil as a pre-wash oil and then I dab a bit of jojoba oil on the ends after my shower.

However, I've had the most success with coconut oil as a leave-in. Heck, coconut oil in everything, except skin care.

I have relatively coarse wavy hair.

TiffanieJean
April 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have fine wavy hair, so that is what I chose. I do like having fine hair because of the shine, but it's a pain to keep healthy...

I do a mix of Castor, Jojoba, Almond and Tea Tree Oil for my hair masks.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have fine/medium wavy/curly hair and i use coconut oil. I usually use it on damp hair after washing but have also used it for heavy oilings and on dry hair. i find that it gets rid of frizz, increases curl and is easy to wash out (i CO wash). I also have vatika oil which is a mix of coconut oil and come others, including amla. I use coconut oil on my body as well as my hair so usually forget the vatika oil and just use coconut for eveything

cremenoir
April 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
my hair is wavy and F/M (more F than M), and i love baby oil. it makes my hair soft, holds in moisture well, and seems to last a long time. vegetable oils always felt a little heavy for my hair. they worked well but got greasy if i added even a tiny bit too mich. baby oil seems to me a bit lighter and more forgiving.

Amethyste
April 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
My hair loves baby oil... I have medium hair.

rowie
April 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
My hair loves coconut oil. I'd recommend coconut oil for those who have dry, coarse, wavy, and thick hair! If I don't put any coconut oil, my hair will rebel and turn puffy and bushy. So much for having a hair texture like a horse.:D hahahaha

door72067
April 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
medium, wavy/curly and baby oil

my hair loves it and I adore the scent of it

RitaPG
April 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have Medium straight hair and my favourite is coconut oil. I apply it heavily before washing and sometimes lightly when I BB brush or braid it.
More recently I've actually been using Avocado oil, but my favourite is still Coconut.

meeliah
April 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I am obsessed with oils chose I put a mixture. There's no real reason for me using any particular one other than mood. However, I can't put much quanitity on my hair because I barely wash it with any soaps so its near impossible to get out.

Naiadryade
April 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Medium wavy. My hair loves olive oil: it imparts softness, shine and makes my hair virtually tangle-free. I tried castor oil for the first time last night on my scalp, and my hair seems to like it so far.

I haven't tried many other oils yet, though. Just coconut, which made my hair tangly and kinda sticky (yes I only used a few drops).

lolot
April 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
wavy, fine and coconut

but i have only tried coconut, olive and castor oil, castor is very thick so is out of the list and olive is more heavy than coconut, im going to try others when i run out of coconut

dwell_in_safety
April 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I love coconut for biweekly deep conditioning and a little bit of jojoba as a leave-in after washes. :)

KittyBird
April 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Wavy, medium/coarse. I love coconut oil, and so does my hair. :heartbeat
It moisturises well and it's easy to wash out. I tried EVOO, but it's really hard to rinse it out. I always ended up with oily, nasty-looking hair after using it. I have also tried canola oil a few times when I 've run out of coconut, and it works pretty well.

Laylah
April 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I love EVOO and coconut oil. My hair is past tailbone, medium stranded, and ranges (despite what my profile thing says) from about 2c-3b. It's from very deep waves to sharpie-marker diameter spiral curls. Usually I use coconut for the prewash heavy greasing and the evoo for leave-in because evoo doesn't smell, won't solidify/freeze, and coconut's cheaper when I need to use a lot. Mineral oil made my hair feel coated and greasy and shiny but didn't soften it and made it feel a bit crunchy.

earthnut
April 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I have hair on the coarse side and though I'm still experimenting with oils, I know my hair likes olive oil. A few drops tames the frizzies well. With coconut oil, my hair just drinks it up. I can apply more than 1/4 tsp of coconut oil and it still feels a little dry and frizzy. I'm going to try mineral oil next.

There are multiple factors at play here:
* Different oils have different penetration properties: coconut oil is very penetrating, olive oil is semi-penetrating, jojoba oil is not very penetrating, and mineral oil is not penetrating at all.
* Different hair types have different porosity: curly hair is very porous and fragile, straight hair is not very porous.
* The type of conditioner & other moisturizers you use will affect how an oil behaves. For instance, coconut oil applied after a coney conditioner won't penetrate well and may cause 'crunchy' hair.
* How you apply the oil makes a difference too. Before washing, after washing, on wet hair or dry hair.
* There may be other factors too, like climate.

Here's the hair oil thread if you haven't already seen it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971), and here's my post on the fatty acid content of different oils (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2094528&postcount=117).

Vanilla
April 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I have fine wavy hair and love baby oil and coconut oil/Shea butter.

I use baby oil on damp hair after the shower, and coconut oil or Shea butter on my hair the day before I wash for deep moisture.

Long_hair_bear
April 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM
My hair is 1c/2a.... Depending on what it feels like being that particular day. I like coconut oil as a pre wash for my length, tm oil for scalp massage an hour before washing, and panacea on dry hair as a leave in.

Anje
April 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
My hair's fine and a tad bit wavy. I like olive oil, but it is a bit heavy. In the past, I've also gotten very excellent results from sesame oil. (I do fluctuate a bit in what oil I use, but olive and sesame seem to absorb the best into my hair. For whatever reason, my hair doesn't suck up coconut in the same way.)

GenLove86
April 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I like to use organic coconut oil as an overnight deep conditioner. I have fine hair that is straight at the top but wavy mid down

Clem_Dela
April 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
my preference is coconut oil. my hair is wavy and medium/coarse

i like the shine and the way it tames and conditions my hair :)

Roscata
April 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Coconut oil, wavy, medium - the oil works well for me, especially as a pre-wash treatment, but it does well as a leave-in as well.

Shorty89
April 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I have fairly fine, slightly wavy hair, and I primarily use coconut oil. I have tried almond oil, with decent results, but heavy oils like olive oil really give me a bad case of the greasies.

TheMechaGinger
April 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I have straight medium hair and I love coconut oil the best. Almond is really good too though

pepperminttea
April 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Fine/medium, wavy-ish, and several depending on the purpose. :) Olive and coconut are great for heavy oiling, but if I want something light I use camellia or NightBlooming's Triple Moon blend.

PolarCathy
April 27th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Medium-ish but wiry, wavy-curly and I use castor oil straight on the ends. For heavy oiling I use a blend based on castor, red palm and/or mustard or whatever I get my hands on (sesame, avocado, rarely olive). Coco is still not my favorite oil.

janeytilllie
April 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I have wavy/medium textured hair. My favourite oils are baby oil and coconut oil.

kidari
April 27th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I have pretty much straight hair that is medium texture and my hair loves coconut oil, olive oil, camelina oil, baby oil, avocado oil, and I don't know what else. It doesn't love or hate argan oil. It really hates castor oil. I mostly use coconut oil and baby oil lately and commercial products that contain camelina oil.

Rosetta
April 27th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Straight, fine and coconut here :)

It's not too heavy and seems to do the most good as a deep oiling.
The same here; though I do think coconut oil is a bit heavy, but I can only use oils as pre-wash anyway, not leave-in, so it doesn't really matter. And I think it's mainly thanks to coconut oil I've so far managed to avoid major damage to my hair during my henna removal process (the bleach & dye way), so that alone would make me love it forever :)

Bagginslover
April 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Straight, average to a medium (but I have everything from fine to coarse) and I love coconut oil. I can use a tiny bit on damp hair, use more for overnight oiling, or use tons for a real heavy oiling, and it just works!

florenonite
April 27th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I've got fine, thick, mostly straight hair that loves coconut oil, provided I apply it to dry hair, as it can get stringy if I apply it on damp hair. Applied dry, however, my hair seems to absorb it better than my natural sebum, making it lovely and soft.

oddelabop
April 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I also use different oils for different things, Coconut seems to be the best all rounder for me. Plus it seems to really penetrate the hair. I use black jamaican castor oil for the scalp, and i adore morroccan hair oil (nicer smelling Argan oil) when my hair is damp :D

Iolanthe13
April 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have fine/medium wavy hair, and it hasn't made up its mind about oils. It likes olive oil as an overnight heavy oiling, but I've been struggling to get the right amount of coconut oil. Maybe it's the wet/dry hair issue.

Fadedbluedreams
April 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I said coconut, because that's what I happen to use on my face, and occasionally use on my hair with nice results, but I haven't done much experimentation with other oils. I have fine texture.

leslissocool
April 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I've got super coarse hair (Asian coarse like my Polynesian friends, not soft at all) and my hair LOVES olive oil and coconut oil. It likes heavy oils , castor oil works wonders for my roots!

Tisiloves
April 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Straight, Medium-coarse and Coconut Oil :)

Emy Sue
April 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I use a mix of oils, in a product called Afro Oil found in the ethnic haircare section in Sally Beauty Supply. Its really heavy (having olive oil and castor oil, among others) so I use it more as a mask than a regular oil. Haven't found the right dry oil/ styling oil yet.

Fine, wavy, medium-thick hair. Anyone have any suggestions?

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Well I have fine hair that if you were to roll one strand inbetween your fingers you wouldnt feel it at all. Im new so Im still trying to figure out the typing, etc.

I use Mira, castor, and I just started using coconut but my hair doesnt seem to coconut so far. Im giving it more time because I really want to use coconut:D

GeoJ
April 27th, 2012, 08:22 PM
My hair is wavy and medium in texture. I almost always use coconut oil because my hair does the best with it. Olive oil feels too heavy for my hair. Baby oil made my hair more prone to tangles.

Sometimes I use other oils like bhringraj, jojoba, kalonji, & camelia, but coconut oil works the best for me. I tried argan oil but it didn't do much for my hair (works on my skin, though).

When I was a kid baby oil did work for my hair, but my hair was short and straight at the time (I don't know how fine it was then).

millyaulait
April 28th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I have fine, thin, straight hair.

I have tried a few oils and so far baby oil is the one for me! :)

It took me a while to find a nice oil that worked *and* was very light on the hair.

misspurdy06
April 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Coarse, wavy, and I chose mixture of oils because natural oils native to the scalp wasn't an option.

Sometimes when I shower I just clean my scalp with my finger tips and leave my natural oil on the length.

Dragon Faery
April 28th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My hair ranges all the way from 1c to 3a, and the texture ranges from a few fine hairs to various medium thicknesses, with a few coarse. (It is also every color from blonde to black, with a few gingers, but mostly appears dark brown in color.)

It varies a lot what oils work and what don't. Usually Avocado and Almond work, but not always. Sometimes Coconut and EVOO work, but usually not. Castor Oil makes it really soft (but sometimes my hair breaks when getting it in, so I don't usually use it except on my scalp). Jojoba Oil usually doesn't work.
I want to try other oils, too.

solitudinarian
April 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I haven't tried coconut oil, but I hear good things and I'd like to try.

Currently I am using baby oil (Natusan) and it's the best thing for my hair after countless hair salon products that do nothing. Also, I've used Agadir Argan oil, and although my coarse, thick and wavy hair was very soft when using it, the effect didn't last more than a day, my hair would frizz like crazy and it would easily feel kinda greasy and unclean.

With this baby oil, (applied after showering), I can go days and days and days without showering (hahaha TMI but Im just testing it!) and even when my hair starts to feel a bit unclean (especially hanging around apartments where people smoke non stop) it still doesn't feel *too bad* and just tousling my hair with wet hands make it feel a lot better again.

Usually just the thought of humid air would cause havoc with my hair, it's insane how much hair can frizz! But with baby oil, it stays calmer.. On rainy or humid days, it's not pefect, but a lot better than usual. On dry days, I can have my hair hanging loose, I could never do that before with any other oil/hair product.

lapushka
April 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Wavy, F & baby oil. So far, it's the only oil that's been on my hair.

spookyghost
April 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I haven't tried coconut oil, but I hear good things and I'd like to try.

Currently I am using baby oil (Natusan) and it's the best thing for my hair after countless hair salon products that do nothing. Also, I've used Agadir Argan oil, and although my coarse, thick and wavy hair was very soft when using it, the effect didn't last more than a day, my hair would frizz like crazy and it would easily feel kinda greasy and unclean.

With this baby oil, (applied after showering), I can go days and days and days without showering (hahaha TMI but Im just testing it!) and even when my hair starts to feel a bit unclean (especially hanging around apartments where people smoke non stop) it still doesn't feel *too bad* and just tousling my hair with wet hands make it feel a lot better again.

Usually just the thought of humid air would cause havoc with my hair, it's insane how much hair can frizz! But with baby oil, it stays calmer.. On rainy or humid days, it's not pefect, but a lot better than usual. On dry days, I can have my hair hanging loose, I could never do that before with any other oil/hair product.

Can I ask how much baby oil you use? I used it for the firs time today. I have been using Its a ten with some argon oil for a leave in which I did today. After I did that I put my head upside down and put just a little on my ends. I didnt notice too much difference afterwards but I was so scared to use too much since I hear thats very easy to do with this oil. I'm going to use a little more next wash day;)