PDA

View Full Version : One thick wiry hair?

CharleaMurphy
April 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
While looking at my ends for damage I saw one hair that was very coarse and brittle, and when I separated it from the rest I realised it was a REALLY wiry dark hair, and I pulled it out of my scalp. It felt like a hair from one of those really cheap wiry fake wigs, or like a dark barbie hair.
It scared me.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
:confused:
(P.S. I'm not greying. I'm 13.)

brave
April 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I think I saw a thread around here somewhere where lots of people said they get those. I get some that are especially "kinky" -- they're not thicker than my normal hair but the hair is kind of sproingy and like a wiggly line. Very odd.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cfreya
April 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I had this also a few years ago my hair is blonde/blonette very thin and fine and silky and in the middle of my head I had one black wiry thick gross strand, I plucked it out and it never grew back, think its just a random thing that can happen so dont worry too much

whitedove
April 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I get them in black and red, I pull em out lol

HintOfMint
April 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I would get them rarely at your age, but as I've gotten older, they've grown in number (I'm 25 for the record). As they increase, they stop being so brittle, but they're still rough and wiry. I have dark hair, thank goodness, so they blend in.

MonicaJean
April 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I have those random hairs all over my head. Every year I seem to have more and more. :( I hate the texture of those hairs, but I'm thinking it's normal. Most people just don't notice it. I've had them for a long time and I remember finding my first when I was about 13. Mine are blonde though. OH but I don't dare pull them out. They grow back (on me) the same way, and stick straight up until they get long enough to lay down!

spidermom
April 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I've always had a few odd hairs of differing colors and textures. I do not pull them out.

PrairieRose
April 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I have a few wiry hairs too. I think it's funny since most of my hair is fine. I tried pulling them out before, but they grow back exactly the same way. At least I know it's not damaged hair.

Madora
April 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Nothing to be alarmed about. I've had a few and just let them fall out naturally.

Johanna
April 27th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I've gotten one before, it looked like it was a few hairs that has fused into one, I pulled it just because it was so weird. I've only gotten that one that I've noticed (and I pick through my hair looking at the individual strands often) apart from that I've just gotten regular wiry ones every now and then.

wendylai
April 27th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I get them too. I'm 28 now and they seem to increase all the time I have quit a lot actually I notived as I "browsed" through a few days ago!

I like them! I haev pretty fine hair normally so they bring texture and thickness which I LOVE! Plus they are stronger than my normal hair so I would assume more fo those = longer hair.

Embrace the wiry ones! (unless someone else has information that they are actually fatal.. :D)

PS. Do they mean I'll turn grey some time soon?

julliams
April 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Try not to pull them out - it can become a bit of a habit. The exact same thing happened to me at your age and guess what - I went from straight hair to wavy hair. So perhaps your hair is changing a little. It will take a little while to happen but you can be lucky that you will know what is happening as opposed to me who thought my hair was turning frizzy.

Hollyfire3
April 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I think I saw a thread around here somewhere where lots of people said they get those. I get some that are especially "kinky" -- they're not thicker than my normal hair but the hair is kind of sproingy and like a wiggly line. Very odd.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have some kinky hairs like you describe as well, and for a slight highjack, how do you tell if your hair is course? I know you were asking about this in another thread and I my strands look pretty thick, care to help me?

brave
April 27th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I have some kinky hairs like you describe as well, and for a slight highjack, how do you tell if your hair is course? I know you were asking about this in another thread and I my strands look pretty thick, care to help me?
I'm still not sure TBH. I posted a picture and was like "those are my hairs" and then people said "yup those are coarse hairs we think".

So maybe post a picture in that thread and they'll re-respond for yours? Or take a look at the pics in the first post and if your hairs show up like that they're probably fairly coarse too.

Hollyfire3
April 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm still not sure TBH. I posted a picture and was like "those are my hairs" and then people said "yup those are coarse hairs we think".

So maybe post a picture in that thread and they'll re-respond for yours? Or take a look at the pics in the first post and if your hairs show up like that they're probably fairly coarse too.

Good point, thank you. have not posted pictures because I am not sure I want to, but I will look at yours and see if my hair looks like it.

Maiken
April 27th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I get those too once in a while. I just let them be. I think it's quite normal to have different kinds of strands - at least i know my mother gets them too. And my brother has a whole patch of afro like hair i fhe let his hair grow out a bit, where the rest of his hair just gets wavy:D

CarpeDM
April 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have tons of these! I used to pull them out, but now there are just way too many!

lapushka
April 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I've always had a few odd hairs of differing colors and textures. I do not pull them out.

Same here. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you OP. Perfectly normal!