PDA

View Full Version : Hair Update

RosettaKatrina
April 26th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Last time I was on here, I was terrified about starting a new medication and how it could affect my hair. Happy to say that my fears were unfounded and if anything, my hair seems to be thicker. I have not noticed any increase in shedding, and it seems to have had a growth spurt, just over 2 inches in a month. Latest length, 29 3/4 inches or 75.5cm.

With the methotrexate one of the biggest things it affects is folic acid, (which is why they use it in pregnancy termination), so to counter that, I have the mega dose, 5mg, 4 times a week. The Dr said I only had to take one tablet the day after I have the methotrexate, but having the extra ones would not hurt. I wonder if the extra folic acid has added to the hair growth? Anyway it's only been a few months, and it takes a long time for these things to affect your hair, so I might be back crying in 6 months time.

I am also really surprised at how well my ends are hanging in. I have not had a cut in well over 10 months and I cannot find any split ends, nor does it feel 'sticky' at the ends like I have noticed when my hair starts to get really long previously. I also have invested in several silk pillowcases and put a treatment onto my ends and do a lose braid without putting a hair tie into it when I go to bed.

Anyway, just though I would put in a post to update my progress.

MonaMayfair
April 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Last time I was on here, I was terrified about starting a new medication and how it could affect my hair. Happy to say that my fears were unfounded and if anything, my hair seems to be thicker. I have not noticed any increase in shedding, and it seems to have had a growth spurt, just over 2 inches in a month. Latest length, 29 3/4 inches or 75.5cm.

With the methotrexate one of the biggest things it affects is folic acid, (which is why they use it in pregnancy termination), so to counter that, I have the mega dose, 5mg, 4 times a week. The Dr said I only had to take one tablet the day after I have the methotrexate, but having the extra ones would not hurt. I wonder if the extra folic acid has added to the hair growth? Anyway it's only been a few months, and it takes a long time for these things to affect your hair, so I might be back crying in 6 months time.

I am also really surprised at how well my ends are hanging in. I have not had a cut in well over 10 months and I cannot find any split ends, nor does it feel 'sticky' at the ends like I have noticed when my hair starts to get really long previously. I also have invested in several silk pillowcases and put a treatment onto my ends and do a lose braid without putting a hair tie into it when I go to bed.

Anyway, just though I would put in a post to update my progress.

That's really good news. I'm always terrified of any medication because I know how most of them CAN cause hair loss if you're unlucky.
I've had several periods of hormonal (thyroid) hair loss, so I've read a LOT of posts on hair loss boards about shedding traced back to all sort of medications.
About all I'll take is ibuprofen when I have bad cramps (and even that is on the list of known medications can cause shedding)
My hair didn't get any split ends after over a year of no cutting either.

Randomly, when I had a full blood count recently, I was told I had way too much folic acid - no idea why! It's in my multi vitamin in a small amount, but I only take that every other day. Last time I had a blood test I was told I had too much B12 (I'm vegetarian, so no idea why!)

RosettaKatrina
April 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Can you give me some of that B12? Do you have a lot of mushrooms? They are the natural B12 fix for vegetarians.

Because of my Crohns, I have a lot of trouble absorbing some nutrients and pills, so I have to resort to injections. My latest one just arrived today. Vit D, very important in health and only just being realised how important it is. Apparently I set the record for the lowest Vit D level at 14 at the pathology lab, when it should be in the 60's at a minimum. Low Vit D can cause various tumours, and lots of horrible stuff. It's becoming a problem because of all the years of "Slip, Slop, Slap". Sorry, don't know if that's just an Aussie expression or not, but out of fear of skin cancer, people protecting themselves from the sun have caused low Vit D levels.

MonaMayfair
April 26th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Can you give me some of that B12? Do you have a lot of mushrooms? They are the natural B12 fix for vegetarians.

Because of my Crohns, I have a lot of trouble absorbing some nutrients and pills, so I have to resort to injections. My latest one just arrived today. Vit D, very important in health and only just being realised how important it is. Apparently I set the record for the lowest Vit D level at 14 at the pathology lab, when it should be in the 60's at a minimum. Low Vit D can cause various tumours, and lots of horrible stuff. It's becoming a problem because of all the years of "Slip, Slop, Slap". Sorry, don't know if that's just an Aussie expression or not, but out of fear of skin cancer, people protecting themselves from the sun have caused low Vit D levels.

I don't eat a lot of mushrooms. I do eat them, but not regularly. I'm taking (on prescription) extra vit D as well. Also Iron, I was a bit low in that.
All this health stuff is a nightmare isn't it, especially when you eat right and do your best to be healthy!
I know the Slip, Slop, Slap slogan, though they don't say it in the UK. You STILL see idiots with bright red burned faces here when the hot weather starts, even though there's so much information available about the dangers of sunburn. And, you're right, it's only just filtering through that a lot of people have low vit D because they're too wary of the sun. I got mine checked because a couple of friends nagged me about it. I have fair skin and I wear SPF 40 every day of the year!
I love your screen name by the way, it's so pretty!

RosettaKatrina
April 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Yes I love the name. It was the name of my sisters Cabbage Patch doll that we got back in 1984 I think. Mine was called Wilda Rora, which is not so nice, so I picked her doll name. It was so funny when we got them, we grew up in the highlands of Fiji, no TV, no commercials, and our parents brought them back from a trip to London. We thought they were the ugliest things!

Anyway, I am super pale as well, it's difficult to find foundation light enough, and we always avoided the sun growing up because my Grandfather had skin cancer. In the end, both of my Grandfathers died from skin cancer, so I am still wary of going out in the sun. I was teased terribly in high school about my skin, but here I am 20 years later and no wrinkles or crows feet!

MonaMayfair
April 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I was teased terribly in high school about my skin, but here I am 20 years later and no wrinkles or crows feet!

Yay, You've definitely got the last laugh!