PDA

View Full Version : White dots

afu
April 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I finally got some new hairdressing scissors for s&d and realised that i hardly ever get proper split ends, despite a lot of bleach and heat damage from the past. I do however get some white dots, never usually more than 1ch from the end. I know white dots form when the hair is damaged at a specific point but not enough to break it straight away - but can anyone shed any light on why some people are more prone to white dots and some get more split ends?

Amber_Maiden
April 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I get splits after awhile. I think it's just regular wearing of the hair- it's older than the rest of my hair and drier.

MonaMayfair
April 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I don't get split end or white dots, maybe because I have henna and cassia in my hair?
Before I started using henna, and my hair was its natural color, I did get the occasional split end, but not many (I used to look with a magnifying glass because they can be hard to see on lighter hair)

I didn't cut my hair at all for well over a year, and still no splits...

WaitingSoLong
April 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I get equal amounts of both when it has been a really long time since my last trim.

PinkyCat
April 26th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I don't get split ends or white dots either! Maybe its a finey thing? I can tell its time to trim when the ends get dry - but thats it. :shrug:

Mononoke
April 26th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I get quite a lot of those white dots, but not so many split ends.

lapushka
April 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Now that my hair's virgin, I don't get much of either anymore, splits or white dots, but I did get a lot of white dots when the heat damage / perm was still in there. Hair does not magically transform itself from damaged to okay once you start treating it better. Damage takes a long time to grow out. You will be stuck with damage a long time if you come from bleaching / heat treating it.

icallitbliss
April 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I haven't really noticed splits on my hair, just that the ends are a little thinner/raggedy from not having been blunted for awhile.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM
lapushka; yeah i know im stuck with the damage and im not too bothered about that anymore since my newer regimes make it manageable. im just interested in what causes the differences which mean some people get one or the other

Henrietta
April 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I get split ends and white dots in more or less the same amount. Nobody said it's going to be easy :D

trolleypup
April 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I get more white dots than splilts, presumably the splits started as white dots that broke off. Given that my longest ends are nearing 8 years old I can't really hope to do more than keep the dots and splits down to a dull roar.

nobeltonya
April 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Various types of splits.. that's why I trim every few weeks. It bugs me to sit and see splits. :p But I just dust the ends, and s&d when necessary.

auburntressed
April 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I get every type of split, dot, or damage imaginable. But the mos common for me is to get fairy knots on my tippy-ends, or find them bent at weird angles.

dwell_in_safety
April 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I get splits here and there, but I have to search to find them anymore, even right before I trim the usual half inch or so every three months. This is with thrice-dyed hair, and not with the good kinds of dye. My hair was worse virgin before I stopped using shampoo (internet searches a couple months later on it led me to LHC).

whitedove
April 26th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I get splits and few white dots, I didnt know what the white dots were until I joined LHC :)

Zindell
April 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I don't get white dots and hardly any split ends, but if I don't trim for a few months my very ends (about 3 - 4 cm) gets dry and loses it's shine.

Thats how I know it's time for a trim. :D

(And I think I just voted "none" instead of "other similar damage" by mistake. Sowwy)

carolyncasl
April 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I've always had split ends and white dots since starting to grow my hair out in high school. I didn't blow-dry my hair at all except for very very occasionally. But I was doing all the bad habits such as piling it on my head when shampooing and conditioning (and using a lot of shampoo, and even the rinse and repeat), wearing it down always, except for the occasional french braid, brushing it with those horrible brushes with the dots at the end.. Then I started dying it and bleaching it, which just made the splits worse.

Now that I found this site, I'm hoping the split ends'll get better now that I'm treating my hair better.

KittyBird
April 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I get split ends, but micro-trimming and s&d takes care of that. ;)