PDA

View Full Version : getting hair colored to natural color-advice needed!

spookyghost
April 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm getting my hair colored back to my natural ash or dishwater blond color to help my hair look nice as I grow out bleach highlights. I have some questions that I would appreciate anyone helping me with:D

1. My hairdresser said that I should go one shade darker than ash or one shade lighter? I have been thinking about this for two weeks and still havent made up my mind! Is one healthier than the other? Will the darker shade help blend my roots in as they grow? I do think I look better if Im blonder thats why I got the highlights but that doesnt mean that thats not all in my head:lol: Know what I mean?

2. I really want to start using cassia to deep condition my hair-will I still be able to do this after I get the color? I was even thinking of possible using cassia to add a little color or glow to it. If I do this would the one shade darker than ash work better?

3. I have heard of people on hair putting coconut oil on their hair before they get it colored. Does that mean I would put coconut oil on my hair the night before like I do for my regular oiling and then just to the salon with my hair greasy? This wont affect the color at all?

Well, I think thats it! I tried posting this last night and I dont think it worked. Sorry if this is a repeat!

Advice-pleeaase:pray:

GoldberryHair
April 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hi, I bleached my hair and got it back to natural in one step (check out my album)

I would get one shade DARKER because it will fade, and then it will blend much more naturally. As for the cassia I'm not sure.

For the coconut oil, I would oil it and sleep in it over night (or go all day) then shower before you go to the salon and wash it out and let your hair dry. You can't colour over oiled hair, but you hair must be dry as well, and then do a second oil treatment after you get it coloured, but try to go as many days as possible before you absolutely have to wash your hair because the longer you go, the better your colour will stay :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)

GOOD LUCK!

LaurelSpring
April 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
It is going to fade, but probably not tons and its such a pain to have hair that is too dark. You wont be happy with it. You probably arent going to get it perfect anyway. I would probably just go for the best possible match and live with whatever demarcation may arise. Once it gets a bit longer it will all sort of blend in anyway.

Its much easier to go darker than lighter so you may actually want to start with the shade lighter, see how that works out once it starts growing and then you can always go with the next darker. Baby step it. If you start dark and its too dark you are kind of stuck and once again back into a damaging lift/bleach sort of scenario.

It took me years to finally get my hair back to natural because I kept trying different shades to match it and then the fade would look bad. Turns out I was so use to looking at my hair light brown for so many years that I didnt even really know what my natural color looked like.

You will be able to Cassia after the color. Get the good stuff. I like what I get from hennaforhair. I got some cheap Senna stuff and I dont like it very much. Its gritty and the color isnt as nice. Remember that whatever you put on your hair you will be putting on porous hair and it will take more intensely.

I dont know anything about coconut oil and coloring since I havent colored for a really long time.

Good luck!

spookyghost
April 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you two so much for your advice:)

Goldberryhair-I love your natural color. My hair might be a little darker than that. I too forget, a little, what my natural color looks like because of the highlights! I have it under my bleach highlights but it looks so dark next to the bleach that its a little hard to tell. I do know its ash blonde though. I used coconut oil for the first time last night. I put it on dry hair and woke up this am and washed and conditioned and my hair looked pretty dry-kinda bad actually:( Another poster said that I should have put it on damp hair-hopefully thats the case because I really want to use coconut oil. I know its a penetrating oil so thats my main reason. Right now I use jamaican black xtra dark castor oil on my hair and I do really like it. I dont know if its a penetrating oil like the coconut. What I want to do is use the castor oil on my roots and the coconut on my length. Do you think my hair didnt like the coconut because I put it on while it was dry? Any thoughts?

Laurelspring-I will definately get the good casia! Thank you;) when you mentioned that my hair will be porous is that because I got it colored? And because of this, if I only want just a little bit of color and shine with the cassia-I better be careful right? I have never done anything but wash and shampoo my hair. I have never even used a store bought color or anything so I'm kinda backwards when it comes to this stuff:lol:

So far, I have no idea what Im doing-isnt that a hoot! I do now if I go a shade lighter or darker I probably wont like it at first. Unfortunately, Im one of those people who gets kinda shocked at something new when it comes to my hair. Many times I dont like it and feel pretty sad but then after a few days go by and I get used to it, I start liking it. Isnt it funny how much hair means to everyone? I love my hair and I get emotional when its damaged or a color doesnt work, etc. I guess it just means alot to me:D

If anyone else has anything to add-please do!:p

cheetahfast
April 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Get a demi color, if you're not already...it will help it blend better while growing it out.

afu
April 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
You can't colour over oiled hair, but you hair must be dry as well, and then do a second oil treatment after you get it coloured, but try to go as many days as possible before you absolutely have to wash your hair because the longer you go, the better your colour will stay :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)

GOOD LUCK!

I have always heard that applying coconut oil is very effective when left on as the hair is dyed - do you mind me asking you reasons for not dying over oil?

I use coconut oil on my hair before i have my hair done, i get bleach highlights and also a bit of my natural colour put back in to blend as a previous hairdresser made it too bleachy. I apply the coconut oil at least an hour before i go to the salon from roots to tips and have the colour and bleach applied on top (as recommended by ktani). The coconut oil being left on means my hair is very protected from damage. I'd recommend reading this article...

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html

Leaving the coconut oil on doesn't seem to affect the colour outcome at all

spookyghost
April 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I have always heard that applying coconut oil is very effective when left on as the hair is dyed - do you mind me asking you reasons for not dying over oil?

I use coconut oil on my hair before i have my hair done, i get bleach highlights and also a bit of my natural colour put back in to blend as a previous hairdresser made it too bleachy. I apply the coconut oil at least an hour before i go to the salon from roots to tips and have the colour and bleach applied on top (as recommended by ktani). The coconut oil being left on means my hair is very protected from damage. I'd recommend reading this article...

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html

Leaving the coconut oil on doesn't seem to affect the colour outcome at all

Afu-great article. This is all very scary to me because Im trying really hard to get my hair healthy but I feel that I need this color because I know I cant handle growing out bleach without it. Plus, Im one of those people who seem to be unlucky at the salon:( I trust my hairdresser now, she hasnt let me down yet. But I am wondering what she will say when I go in tomarrow with a greasy head! She might say she cant color over that. I dont know. Of course I can just tell her to do it, I know.

My next question is should I still use coconut oil when I used it last night and my hair today was pretty yucky. It was dry and fly way. It looked damaged. Well it is but I mean more so. I was really surprised and disappointed. Anyways, should I still use this or should I put on argon oil? My hair does like argon oil. Its just that coconut seems to be this wonderul oil and I want to use it. What do you think?

afu
April 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
If you are wanting to use it for reducing the damaging effects of colouring, i would definitly say stick to coconut. as far as i know other oils don't have the same effect on the free radicals and therefore don't offer the same protection.

I also had the same thought as you the first time i did it, i thought 'oh dear, hairdresser is going to think im a greasy mess and want to wash it first!' but i just put enough on so that it had some shine to it but wasn't saturated and icky looking.

p.s. did you clarify your hair before first using coconut oil? if not that might be the reason your hair seemed dry afterwards - coconut oil penetration is limited by any build up which might already be on the hair so if you have build up it may have just been sitting on top

spookyghost
April 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
If you are wanting to use it for reducing the damaging effects of colouring, i would definitly say stick to coconut. as far as i know other oils don't have the same effect on the free radicals and therefore don't offer the same protection.

I also had the same thought as you the first time i did it, i thought 'oh dear, hairdresser is going to think im a greasy mess and want to wash it first!' but i just put enough on so that it had some shine to it but wasn't saturated and icky looking.

p.s. did you clarify your hair before first using coconut oil? if not that might be the reason your hair seemed dry afterwards - coconut oil penetration is limited by any build up which might already be on the hair so if you have build up it may have just been sitting on top

No I did not. I have this stuff called shimmering lights that is suppose to remove build up to make your highlights brighter and shine. I got it at Sallys. Is that good to clarify with? If so I did use it a week ago. Should I use it tomarrow and put the coconut oil in on damp hair and then let it air dry? If the shimmering lights isnt good enough is there anything in the house I can use-like dish soap? I've heard about baking soda and Im out but I also dont have any rinse to do afterwards. My appointment is at noon tomarrow. I can run to Walmart real quick to pick something up if I have to. My hair is important to me so I dont mind. If I do this do you have any recommendations. I know people have said what clarifying shampoos they like and I should have written them down. I think VO5 has one and suave might have one. How will I know if its a clarifying shampoo? I wouldnt be able to recognize it by ingredients alone.

Corrina777
April 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I recently went back to my natural color over highlights. I was advised to do a protein treatment the night before (the protein helps to fill in some of the damaged parts of the bleached hair and helps color take more evenly). My stylist was pretty impressed with me when I mentioned it.

GoldberryHair
April 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Thank you two so much for your advice:)

Goldberryhair-I love your natural color. My hair might be a little darker than that. I too forget, a little, what my natural color looks like because of the highlights! I have it under my bleach highlights but it looks so dark next to the bleach that its a little hard to tell. I do know its ash blonde though. I used coconut oil for the first time last night. I put it on dry hair and woke up this am and washed and conditioned and my hair looked pretty dry-kinda bad actually:( Another poster said that I should have put it on damp hair-hopefully thats the case because I really want to use coconut oil. I know its a penetrating oil so thats my main reason. Right now I use jamaican black xtra dark castor oil on my hair and I do really like it. I dont know if its a penetrating oil like the coconut. What I want to do is use the castor oil on my roots and the coconut on my length. Do you think my hair didnt like the coconut because I put it on while it was dry? Any thoughts?

Laurelspring-I will definately get the good casia! Thank you;) when you mentioned that my hair will be porous is that because I got it colored? And because of this, if I only want just a little bit of color and shine with the cassia-I better be careful right? I have never done anything but wash and shampoo my hair. I have never even used a store bought color or anything so I'm kinda backwards when it comes to this stuff:lol:

So far, I have no idea what Im doing-isnt that a hoot! I do now if I go a shade lighter or darker I probably wont like it at first. Unfortunately, Im one of those people who gets kinda shocked at something new when it comes to my hair. Many times I dont like it and feel pretty sad but then after a few days go by and I get used to it, I start liking it. Isnt it funny how much hair means to everyone? I love my hair and I get emotional when its damaged or a color doesnt work, etc. I guess it just means alot to me:D

If anyone else has anything to add-please do!:p
Hmm thats weird I always put mine on dry hair...

afu
April 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
i would have thought the one you mentioned would be fine, you could always add a little baking soda to it if you have any. but it sounds ok. I hardly ever clarify and most of the clarifying shampoos ive found in the UK are quite expensive so i just add a little baking soda to a normal shampoo. I have found maximum effects from clarifying hair then applying coconut oil to damp hair, it is best to apply the coconut straight after shampoo instead of conditioning inbetween

spookyghost
April 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks Afu!

Goldberryhair-You put yours on dry hair huh? Hmmm. Maybe my hair doesnt like the coconut. I am puzzled by this:p Mostly because its not like I expected gorgous Indian hair after one application of coconut oil:lol: I just didnt expect my hair to look so bad. I was a little embarrased at work today. I dont know. I just cant accept the fact that my hair does not like coconut oil. I have damaged, dry, highlighted hair for crying out loud-how can coconut oil NOT help?:p

afu
April 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
dont give up, not only does everyones hair react differently to different products, but we all have our own best suited way of applying them. For me i get most benefit from application onto damp hair, but i'll also add some to dry hair if my hair looks dry, frizzy or curls need more definition. It's just a case of finding the right balance. My hair is also damaged by bleach and heat, CO method was the defining change which saved it

GoldberryHair
April 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
You could try a mayo mask, it might sound kinda weird, but I do it sometimes, just apply mayonasse to your hair liberally, then wrap it in a plastic bag and perhaps a scarf around it and sleep in it, and then rinse n poo n conditioner as usual.

NymphSpirit
April 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
DON'T GO DARKER! don't listen to that person!! I did that and it was a disaster, asolute disaster!! Really, it's better to have a colour a shade lighter than a shade darker, specially with blonde hair!

(Sorry I was a bit too passionate :p but I really suffered because of that choice)

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 05:49 AM
DON'T GO DARKER! don't listen to that person!! I did that and it was a disaster, asolute disaster!! Really, it's better to have a colour a shade lighter than a shade darker, specially with blonde hair!

(Sorry I was a bit too passionate :p but I really suffered because of that choice)

Can I ask why? What did you hate so much about it? Its about 7:30 am where I live and my hair appt. is at noon. Im pretty much scared sh##less and I havent made up my mind yet about going darker or lighter:( Probably whatever I decide I wont like at first. I already know that. I dont know if thats because I always just expect something different than what I get-I'm not sure. And then I usually calm down and accept it. I just have it in my head that I look better blonder. I cant seem to shake that. But I think I can fall in love with my ash blonde hair if it has an ever so slight gold tone to it or something-do you know what I mean? Thats where I hope the cassia would come in.

I cant believe Im so nervous-well yeah I can. I wonder what the chances of me coming out of the salon today with a huge smile on face and LOVING the color?

Well, I'll check on here one more time before I leave for my appt and see if anyon else has more to add. Thanks everyone.

Oh and I will definately tell you all how it turned out:D

spookyghost
April 27th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just got back from the hairdresser and my hair sucks:(:(:(!

Im so sad right now. I went a shade lighter and the roots look strawberry blonde. Actually, my hair doesnt look anything like the swatch. I called the hairdresser to see how soon I can get this fixed and Im waiting for her call back because she is with another client.

I really dont think it was her really. Although she did like the finished product- but of course she would right? We agreed on the color, again from a swatch, and instead of a color in the ash range, I got something from a strawberry blonde range:agape:Totally different then what I was going for. I want to go back to my natural color and what I got isnt near that! I had to go get groceries after my appointment and I was embarrased. Now I have to go unload them and workout and do some cleaning and I cant concentrate. I know thats stupid but all I am thinking about it how sad, incredibly sad, I am right now. I almost cant function.

I knew this was going to happen. I have been worried all week and this is why. Maybe I'll just put a bag over my head. Well, I take that back. The color itself isnt too bad. My roots are horrible but the length looks ok. But its not what I wanted by a long shot. Anyways, I gotta go

palaeoqueen
April 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Did you ask for a strawberry blonde or were you expecting ash?

spookyghost
April 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Did you ask for a strawberry blonde or were you expecting ash?

Ash. My hairdresser said that ash was a close match to my roots but she said a shade darker or lighter would be best. So I went lighter. To me my hair doesnt resemble the swatch at all but my dh and ds dont see the strawberry blonde or orange roots at all. My ds said I was crazy-in good humor! I looked at my son and put my head down and pointed to my roots and said, "Do you mean to tell me you do not see orange roots? How can you not see orange roots?" He said, "Um...No. I cant even tell you did anything to your hair!" HaHa. It amazes me. Im not offended by them at all but I'm beginning to think its in my head!:lol:

I know I have to get pics but my dh has to help me and Im not sure he can do it either. He sends pics in emails to his friends so if its as easy as that then he can do it too. If I can get the pics in here I sure will because I would love to know if you all see what I see! Btw-I took a picture of me in outside in my car and my hair looked ash:confused: I know lighting makes a big difference as I see people will post their pic of their hair outside and inside because of the lighting. But can there actually be a big shade difference? Like my hair looks like strawberry blonde inside and ash outside? Thats a huge color difference:p