PDA

View Full Version : A nice surprise...

afu
April 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
The past couple of days i've been away at a research conference, and as a true lhc'er I couldn't help but check out the hair!

My usual experiences of the scientific community (personal experience i might add, im not saying what ive observed is the be all and end all!) is that people tend to have short hair styles, usually not past shoulder length. I usually stand out with my bsl+ hair.

But not this time, i was amazed at what i saw. I spotted a couple of women with classic length and about half a dozen with hair between bsl and tailbone. Also, a man with hip length hair. Everyone else went for the typical scientific above shoulder or pixie. Now considering i've only ever seen one person with hair hip length (ever) and nothing longer this was quite a find!

I also saw a woman wearing a bun and hairstick, outside of LHC i've never seen them used.

So what surprising hair situations have you come across?

Amber_Maiden
April 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM
That is awesome!

I have yet to see anyone wearing chopsticks, and the last long hair I saw in person was at an xmas party where a 70ish year old lady had hers down to classic... it was beautiful.

silverstars
April 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
One of the bio professors in our department has really pretty tailbone length hair. She motivates me to keep growing mine.One of my lab mates is growing out his hair and it looks amazing :) One of the chemistry professors my bf works for has his hair long too.

afu
April 25th, 2012, 05:42 PM
One of the bio professors in our department has really pretty tailbone length hair. She motivates me to keep growing mine.One of my lab mates is growing out his hair and it looks amazing :) One of the chemistry professors my bf works for has his hair long too.

wow, lucky you with the scientist hair lovers :)

spookyghost
April 25th, 2012, 05:53 PM
That is awesome!

I have yet to see anyone wearing chopsticks, and the last long hair I saw in person was at an xmas party where a 70ish year old lady had hers down to classic... it was beautiful.

Me too! I have never seen anyone wearing chop sticks or really taking good care of their hair-that I can tell;) A year ago, I did see a teenager with gorgous waist length hair. It looked fine like mine and I could have stared at that hair all day! I remember thinking that I would die for my hair to look like that-now that I found LHC maybe it will:D

MoonlightShadow
April 25th, 2012, 10:04 PM
A man with hip length hair.... o.o

jacqueline101
April 25th, 2012, 10:19 PM
That's awesome you met people who are long haired and the chop sticks probably looked good.

Springgrl
April 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM

A lot of men in our Chemistry department have long hair! It is kind of neat...

Mesmerise
April 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
One thing I recently noticed when my son brought his school photos home, is that EVERY GIRL but one in his class has long hair. Although regulations say they're supposed to wear their hair tied up, many had it loose for the photo (a couple had it up and you couldn't see the length though). I'd say BSL+ would be the average length for the class (of the long haired girls I'd say the shortest would still be at least APL if not a bit more). And yeah, I notice it on the days I pick him up from school too... most girls have long hair. And it's not dyed (or overly dyed), there's no real whacky cuts or anything, it's mostly long with perhaps a bit of layering, and generally super healthy too!

It's nice to see :D. So many girls of that age destroy their hair with bleaching/colouring/straightening etc. that it's surprising to see so many teens with gorgeous, healthy looking hair!

sarelis
April 26th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I live in a large village, the only people I see with hair longer than BSL are school girls & younger gypsies. There was one lady about my age who had spectacular TBL shiny, dark hair. It looked to me as if she was trying to grow out dark brown dye, the bottom part of her length was darker than from shoulders up, not by much though. I used to see her at the school picking her kids up. Then one day I spotted her & she had cut it back to BSL :( Maybe she just wanted rid of the dye & will grow it back.

Mononoke
April 26th, 2012, 02:20 AM
At my department there are also several people (both men and women) with long hair (between hip and TBL). :)

QMacrocarpa
April 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Maybe some of them are members of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists (http://improbable.com/projects/hair/)! :D

The past couple of days i've been away at a research conference, and as a true lhc'er I couldn't help but check out the hair!

<snip> i was amazed at what i saw. I spotted a couple of women with classic length and about half a dozen with hair between bsl and tailbone. Also, a man with hip length hair. Everyone else went for the typical scientific above shoulder or pixie. Now considering i've only ever seen one person with hair hip length (ever) and nothing longer this was quite a find!<snip>

afu
April 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Maybe some of them are members of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists (http://improbable.com/projects/hair/)! :D

haha, thats brilliant!

GeoJ
April 26th, 2012, 08:15 AM
That's cool! When I was a MS student I presented a poster at a conference with my classic length hair secured in an updo (I don't remember what hairstyle I did for it). There is one geologist in my area that has gorgeous long blonde hair, I think it at least classic, if not mid-thigh. She wears it loose to evening functions. When I was a student I loved seeing her hair at the functions, and I would usually see a couple of guys with long hair there too. (I still get invited to those functions, but I feel too awkward to go since I'd be the only stay at home there if I went).