PDA

View Full Version : For those with ii - iii thickness: Do you bother with S&D?

Hatsumomo
July 27th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I always wondered if longhairs with thicker hair bothered so much with S&D because of the sheer amount of hair they have. I gave up when I was maintaining a shorter, layered style that needed daily styling and I haven't ever taken it back up since. I know there's the occasional split there but the overall condition of my hair is okay so I don't feel the need to go through my whole hair to look for splits. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nat242
July 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I S&D fairly regularly, however I'm growing out damage and I haven't done an all-over trim in almost a year.

If my hair was in generally good condition, I'd only bother with S&D occasionally.

-- Natalie

rockkcor
July 27th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I do catch split end here and there - I cut them one by one... It seams my hair breaks just above the spit end and sort of trims itself by breaking...
I don't know how this sounds but I never understood what spit ends really are... In no case they are longer than 2-3mm, but I cut them anyway...
Perhaps I am just ignorant?
Maybe some feedback would be nice...
:)

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Well, its a bit of a pain because I have such bad eyesight and so many splits. Mostly in the middle of my hair or on the natural highlights. I need to sit and S&D each hair individually in one go but I dont have the time.

AJoifulNoise
July 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I tried S&D for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was a biiiig task. I snipped and snipped and snipped. Then finally gave in and trimmed. But, I do plan to stay on top of it now.

chainedangel
July 27th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I have two pair of hair scissors. 1 in the car and one in the house. If I'm messing with my hair and happen to spot splits I grab my scissors. Otherwise I wait for long trips in the car. When I take out my microbraids I plan to S&D each braid before taking it out.

Finoriel
July 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I used to trim off 1cm every other month for about 1,5 years. Recently I went to maintaining my length cutting all new growth every other month. That´s all I do.
I generally have very few split ends so I never saw the need of doing a S&D, leave alone doing this on a regular basis. The few splits I have are allowed to stay where they are :p I´m far too busy and impatient to sit around searching for them. So far the no-S&D regime did not make my hair unhealthy.

Carolyn
July 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I enjoy doing S & D. I try to do it very regularly. I feel it's one of the things that's helped me get to waist and beyond. I do it while I watch TV or am sitting here with my laptop. It's kind of a multi-tasking activity. My hair feels so nice when I do a major S & D. My hair is the type that has lots of splits so I feel I need to keep up with it. My hair would be a disaster without doing S & D. I've never found it to be boring. I think it's kind of fun but then I'm a person who loves to pick her zits :p

birthmarkie
July 27th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I am a ii thickness and I S&D occasionally, like yesterday! I get most of my splits in the front, top layer of my hair. The bulk of my thickness in the back is made of sturdier, less prone to splitting hair, so I don't need to worry about it.

Faepirate
July 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
If I happen to see a split, I snip it off, but I don't S&D anymore. It takes far too long.

mira-chan
July 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I S&D occasionally. I don't have that many of them anymore. I do tend to get a nice crop of them after traveling, it's easier to S&D those than bother with an overall trim.

zen_oven
July 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Don't know if this reply is at all helpful since I haven't tried S&D yet, but perhaps sometime soon I will. I've just got a LOT of hair so I'm not sure it'll do me all that much good. I don't think I get all that many splits--either I'm just really lucky or I'm horrible at spotting them. ;)

trolleypup
July 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Terminal at thigh...I have splits throughout the length of my hair, so S&D is critical to keeping it from getting tangly. A couple/few 10-15 minute sessions every week makes a big difference for me.

lavenderblue
July 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I'm really far to lazy to do such a thing :):) I trim a cm or two every 4 to 6 months and that's it :D

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I don't have that much hair, I'm on the lower side of ii, but I actually enjoy S&D every now and then. It's relaxing and allows my mind to wander :) I do find I easily obsess with it, so I actually have to watch myself not to get too absorbed into S&Ding :lol:! I feel that if one does it regularly, it's not such a big job, no matter how much hair one has. It has huge impact on the quality of my hair!

chelles2kids
July 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I've done the search & destroy twice to try it out, and it's something I won't be doing again.

It's just easier for me to do a twice yearly trim, than to spend the time of trying to nip off a couple strands of hair.

Interesting thread!!;)

nessthing
July 27th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I have way too many splits. Almost every single hair has one, and they're not all near the end. They're mostly in the canopy layer, and none of them are really near the very ends, so they're numerous and short.

*COMPLAIN*

I should just hack off like 6 inches and take care of the big ones. That still would leave me with splits basically everywhere from chin to the bottom, but mostly they'd be gone.

Tangles
July 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm doing it lots right now because I'm at a length where I can't afford to do any trims. I also can't afford to have any taper right now. When I'm at my goal length, or maybe even BSL, I'll S&D less often.
On the other hand, I'm not especially thick, and I don't have lots of splits, so it's not a time consuming task anyway.

spidermom
July 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I try to limit S&D to times when I'm combing out my hair and hit a snag. There is usually a split or other damage involved. I used to get under the lamp and S&D to try to improve the quality of my hair, but it's just impossible. I have so much hair, and a lot of it is so fine that I can barely see it with my aging eyes. I can snip and snip and snip for hours, and there's always more to find. So I'm trying to stay away from that lamp! I honestly wish I'd never heard of doing this.

2luvmycurls
July 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Seach and Destroy? lol! I've never heard of that before. I'm sure I've got TONS of split ends because I haven't had my hair touched since last summer, but I can't imagine the amount of time it would take to go through every strand of hair!!!! Oy ve! A slight trim sounds so much easier for me.

Ursula
July 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yes, because uncontrolled splits tend to make tangling worse. It's not something I try to do in regular sessons, though, where I have a session and expect to be "done" for a while. It's an ongoing process, catching the splits as I notice them and as I have time.

Nevermore
July 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I happen to love S&D, it keeps the "OH NOES! MUST CUT!" urge where it belongs-far, far away. I don't look at each hair individually, I grab a chunk and fan the ends out in front of a bright light/the comp/my bedroom window in the morning and snip anything I see. I also do it when I brush in front of the window. I had to do it ALOT to catch up with the couple years during which I did nothing with my hair that was friendly, just alot of blowdrying and products and shampooing. Now, I don't have many splits, though I was thinking about getting the scissors out right before I spotted this topic...

dorothea-brooke
July 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I've never done S&D.... :( Once or twice I've picked up a mass of hair in my hand, spread it out, looked at it ... and thought, How on earth is this possible? It would take about 6 hours!

It never occurred to me that thickness might have to do with my feeling-overwhelmedness. My hair is not that thick, but thick enough...!

dorothea

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
There is just no way I could see all of my ends. If I see a funky one and the scissors are handy, I will cut it. But really I don't have much problem with splits. What I do have is individual curls tapering which makes the ends look frayed/split/broken when they're actually not. So I have been blunting up some individual curls a tad.

vindo
July 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I always wondered if longhairs with thicker hair bothered so much with S&D because of the sheer amount of hair they have.

I am a ii/iii but have a good amount of natural taper. Splits mostly occour on my very ends which are therefore not thick and S&D is successfull.
I am sure there are more people in this situation.

Ocassionaly I do find damage up higher where my hair is much thicker but only the outer layer seems to be affected really so once a year I go over my whole hair (well recently a friend did it for me ;).

Emi

ZaBasDa
July 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I S&D occasionally, but I usually don't find more than 10 splits. And I never S&D all of my hair at once; that would take way too long. I also only look through the ends of the hair because I don't really get splits in the length.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
If I see a split I'll snip it or sometimes I will take a chunk of hair when I am really bored and glance at it but I do no "organized S & D"

Tressie
July 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
We have a long commute to a job once a week, and while DH drives I do S& D. I have a tendency for splits because I have a lot of fine hair and I wear it down a lot. I do feel that this process helps the condition of my hair and helps me maintain the length. Honestly I have seen splits on shorter hairs, so I reason that if I had a trim it wouldn't remove all of the splits anyway! Hurray for fairy tale ends!:D

blue_nant
July 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
If I happen to see a split, I snip it off, but I don't S&D anymore. It takes far too long.

Ditto. I'm too busy and/or too lazy. S&D is a major drag. Sometimes if I think the ends are looking scraggly or if I start to tangle, I'll trim it or have someone trim them, 1 to 1 1/2 inches is all.

inertia
July 28th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I do S&D every couple of months. My hair doesn't seem to split much. The ends certainly get dry and look frazzled after a while so I should get overall trims more often than I do, but I don't find many split ends.

MoonCreature
July 28th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I S&D because I've found that the splits have a tendancy to cause tangles. And I don't like the frizy look at the ends caused by splits.

Monsterkitti
July 28th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I havent tried S&D yet but might have a go this week, see what I get, imagine I have tons from all the straightening Ive done in previous months :/

Xandergrammy
July 28th, 2008, 04:20 AM
My goal is totally natural ends, so no scissors at all anywhere. I haven't done any S & D for at least a year.

AprilElf
July 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I voted 'occasionally'.
I like to attempt to S&D, but I get tired of it very quickly. :p I'll snip off a random split if I spot one at any time during the day, though.

Haith
July 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I have a few gentle layers, so I S&D only the very bottom one. Once I reach my goal length I'll start trimming, and I may give up as the amount of hairsin my hem becomes too much to deal with. I shouldn't have a problem with splits anyways since I'll be trimming regularly to stay around TBL.

kate46
July 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I voted that I s & d regularly, which I do but I am going to have to stop because it's making my fine/thin hair look feathered (if that makes sense). This is a bit of a dilema for me as my hair splits easily because of its fineness and previous damage :(.

taliarose
July 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
When I'm board at work I usually look at the end of my braid or pony to find split ends. I only take off about an 1/8th of an inch a year in self trimming. If I didn't look for the splits the bottom of my hair would just stand on itself and try to climb back up my back. :kitten:

NurseMama
July 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I will occassionally to a S&D, but as my life doesn't really allow me to sit for hours at a time I stop. When I commute and am stuck in traffic is a great time. I keep a pair of embroidery scissors in the car for just such an event. The biggest obstacle is that I need sunlight to do a S&D well because my hair is fairly fine and it is really hot in TX...

starfire
July 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I love S&Ding so I do it whenever I get bored. Or when there's particularly good lighting :)
I don't expect to get every single split. I just snip what I find.

Iylivarae
July 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I sometimes do S&D, mostly if I am bored.

teela1978
July 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I don't think I've ever attempted one. I like blunt ends though, and as most of my splits are at my ends, a quick 1/8-1/4 inch trim does a good job of getting rid of them.

Angellen
July 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I S&D fairly regularly (actually, my best friend loves doing it, so I let her). Just because my hair is on the thicker side doesn't mean that it doesn't need some maintenance now and then. I don't trim, so this is my way of doing it. ;)

julya
July 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I don't have any sort of set schedule for doing S&D, but I probably manage to do a session every month or so. I do trim out single strand knots whenever I find those, they are the worst for starting bigger tangles!

flapjack
July 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Sometimes when I have a braid hanging out that isn't oiled (ever since I learned that coconut oil cures the braid fuzzies, this rarely happens, haha) I will kind of half-heartedly look for splits. But I have yet to find one to this day. So sometimes I trim. And that's it. I trimmed in March, so I probably won't trim for another year unless my hair drives me bonkers.

Tap Dancer
July 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM
"Only occasionally when I have the time."

If I'm playing with my hair or looking in the mirror and I see damage, I'll snip it off. I don't actively look for splits very often.

rockkcor
July 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM
S&D if it is 'Search and Destroy' - that is the way i do it:)
No regular trims...

burns_erin
July 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I do it not so much for the actual getting rid of split ends, but for the feeling of concretely doing something I know for sure is helpful and good for my hair that I can SEE works. I am a bit of a control freak and it gives me that element of control over my hair, other wise I am just standing around waiting, which I hate. And the major plus of S&D on such thick hair is if you go a little crazy, it is a lot harder to tell.

lady_hero
July 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm going for fairy tale ends :D

Starr
July 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I S&D every couple of months or so if I remember. . . but more often than not I just ignore my hair.

Islandgrrl
July 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I've never done S&D, not even when my hair was knee length and my eyesight would allow it. My close up vision has taken a total dive over the last couple of years and without a magnifying glass I'd never be able to pick out a split. That and the fact that I just don't have the time to be that incredibly devoted to hair perfection keeps me from doing S&D. Not that I haven't thought about it......I'd just rather have someone else do it for me! Hey, now that's a thought....get together with a few of your friends for an S&D party......:silly:

Delenn
July 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I do micro trims every few months. I can't be bothered with S&D, I have way too much hair to notice that a handful of strands were de-split.

starfire
July 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I've never done S&D, not even when my hair was knee length and my eyesight would allow it. My close up vision has taken a total dive over the last couple of years and without a magnifying glass I'd never be able to pick out a split. That and the fact that I just don't have the time to be that incredibly devoted to hair perfection keeps me from doing S&D. Not that I haven't thought about it......I'd just rather have someone else do it for me! Hey, now that's a thought....get together with a few of your friends for an S&D party......:silly:

hehe I love S&Ds. I actually wouldn't mind doing other people's hair!

Anathema
July 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Come do mine, come do mine!

I have never done any of those, and I'm too afraid to cut chunks of hair off to even try. :(

DotDotDot
July 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm really just too lazy. I could definitely keep the splits under control if I did, but I just trim every few months.

trolleypup
July 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
In the right light, with the right hair, it is nice, and contemplative. Mine or someone else's.

Curlsgirl
July 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
No, mostly because when I look I never find any. My eyesight also isn't very good. I voted I trim and take good care of my hair but I really don't trim either very often.

Ndnlady
July 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I am going for the fairytale ends so I don't s & d really. I check my ends once in a while, so far I have found one split end but that's it. Since I have only found maybe 3-4 split ends over the last 6 months I am not worrying about it!:)

Anathema
July 31st, 2008, 03:11 AM
So I've been thinking about trying to do an S&D in my hair, and am now wondering if I can do it with any scissors or if I need special ones? Can I just grab whatever scissors I see and try it, or could that actually make it worse somehow?

What's special about hair dressers scissors, by the way?

Hatsumomo
July 31st, 2008, 03:48 AM
I'm glad from this it turns out that I'm not the only one who doesn't S&D. My hair has been in an almost constant state of oiling recently and I intend to keep it up so I don't really see the point right now either.

starfire
July 31st, 2008, 09:46 AM
So I've been thinking about trying to do an S&D in my hair, and am now wondering if I can do it with any scissors or if I need special ones? Can I just grab whatever scissors I see and try it, or could that actually make it worse somehow?

What's special about hair dressers scissors, by the way?

You should use sharp hair-cutting scissors (and don't use it for anything else). If they're dull, you may mess up the ends of your hair. Gosh I'm having trouble explaining what is so perfectly clear in my brain :P (it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet).

That being said, I use my hair scissors while at home, but if I find a split while I'm at work, I'll just snip it off with my work scissors (rather than losing the strand and having to look for it later at home!). It's probably not a good idea though, considering how many splits I have!

trolleypup
July 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
If you are going to S&D, get a pair of hair quality scissors (available many places for about US$10) and don't use them for anything else. Dull scissors will crush the cut end of the hair rather than cutting it cleanly.

trolleypup
July 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM
That being said, I use my hair scissors while at home, but if I find a split while I'm at work, I'll just snip it off with my work scissors (rather than losing the strand and having to look for it later at home!). It's probably not a good idea though, considering how many splits I have!
Heh! Crossposting. Ahem, ditto!

I carry my good scissors with me most of the time...because...who knows when you might have good light and some spare time?

AnimaSola3o4
August 6th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Every so often I'll just do a quick once-over on my ends, and I'm usually satisfied once I've found maybe 5 splits and clipped them. A little is better than nothing, right? ;)

Alley Cat
August 6th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I couldn't do the poll as none of those apply I rarely trim and I am not working on fairytale ends but I don't S&D because I can't stand doing it and it takes too long and I feel like I get no where so I give up . :shrug: Haven't done it in ages.

nicolezoie
August 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Anytime I braid my hair they pop out in the bottom foot or so of my length. I will get obsessive and spend hours snipping them, but they seem to multiply so it's a self-defeating task. However, I still do it about 4 times a year and as I see them. :rolleyes:

I'm convinced it's one of the reasons that my hair has managed to get as long as it has though.

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Only once a year. it's easier that way.

nobeltonya
March 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Just because I'm OCD and it bugs me, when I'm sitting and have time and notice a split, I'll clip it and look for more.. but I've cut back a lot recently.. now I just trim every few weeks. Of course, my hairs are all different lengths [not layered, just growing differently I guess?], so splits vary...

pink.sara
March 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I don't really get any splits so don't S & D, just a dusting off of ends every 6-8 months.

dwell_in_safety
March 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I never do. Instead, I trim off about .5" every three months and wear my hair up all the time (unless it is drying, of course). I never notice any splits.

spidermom
March 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Lately I S&D the splits that poke out of my braids. It's much easier that way. I don't paw through my loose hair looking for splits anymore unless I'm stuck sitting and waiting for something.

TiffanieJean
March 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I have fine hair and barely make it to ii. I was at i for a while after I had my son and it was a struggle to get any thickness back. I S&D occasionally, but it's definitely a must for me. I should probably do it more often.

Even after I cut out almost all heat from my hair routine (the beginning of 2012), I still find hairs that have 10+ splits on them! :confused: I'm beginning to think that sock buns are causing damage now... It's probably the type of sock I have been using, which is a shame because it gives me perfect sized curls... I just switched to a different sock material. Anyways, I used to find those a lot more, and counted a few with 20+ before I took proper care of my hair. So, there has been an improvement.

Amber_Maiden
March 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I S&D religiously.

StPaulaGirl
March 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've been S&Ding almost daily, but I need to ease up. Too much eyestrain, when I consider how much time I spend in front of a computer screen on top of it.

Loreley
March 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I do S&D occasionally, about twice a month. I think it helps a lot.

lapushka
March 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Nope. Back when I had lots of perm damage, the damage was so apparent that I didn't need to look for it, it found me. My hair was riddled with white dots. Nowadays my hair's so healthy (had the perm cut off) that I just don't bother with S&D - at all. If by chance I happened upon a split or white dot, then yes, I'd handle it, but other than that...

QMacrocarpa
March 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I trim exclusively, and really I don't "take special care of it". I wear it up, braid it for sleeping, wash weekly-ish, oil now and then, and tangle-teez.

white.chocolate
March 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I S&D in order to avoid a trim.

JellyBene
March 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I honestly never get split ends so no, I do not S&D

naturally yours
March 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
If I happen to see a split I cut it but I search through my whole head and look for splits once every 4 months. I dont trim my hair. My ends are usually in good condition overall so theres no need for trims or frequent s&d.

Shesta
March 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM
I try to keep my hair scissors always at hand it case I see a split to cut it out immediately. If I look for them purposely they never show up! In any case a thorough S&D session takes place every couple of months or so because I avoid trims. Most of my splits are on the length anyway.

Of the Fae
March 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
I don't trim. At all, so I need to S&D regularly to keep my hair in good condition:)
It takes ages, but I kinda do it in shifts :P
Front left.... front right... back, sides etc.
Holding parts of my hair up into a tv or pc screen makes it so much easier!

Lady Neeva
March 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
It's the fineness that aggravates me. I just hold my hair up to bright light.

eicamawa
March 21st, 2012, 03:30 PM
It has become a bit of an habit for me to S&D. I won't say that I love to do it, but I don't mind, and I can sit there an search while my mind is thinking about other thinks, which I really like.

Zesty
March 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't really S&D my hair because I "need to," more just because I enjoy it as a sort of mindfulness activity and because it makes me feel less anxious (if I'm worrying about my hair, I do a short S&D session and it makes me feel better :P). I do have splits and can find lots when I look, but the fact is that overall my hair is healthy and it's not very noticeable. It's just a mental thing for me.

patienceneeded
March 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I voted for the "occasionally" option but in reality I S&D almost never...it just takes too darn long. I have way too much hair, I can never seem to find any splits when I actually have hair scissors in hand, and I'm not patient enough.

dRummie
March 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Thick AND fine is a deadly combo for S&D, I don't know who would have the patience!
Though I, too, have been noticing that braids really highlight the splits, so maybe I'll give it another go that way.

auburntressed
March 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I S&D, and I started doing that ages before I joined LHC. I don't stress about being unable to get all the splits, because I know there will NEVER be a way for me to find them all or go through all my hair. And the ones on my shorter hairs, I couldn't see or reach anyways. So I just chop away while I am doing other things, and put it away when I run out of time and need to do something else.

Ceridwen Iris
March 25th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I've yet to find a split in my hair, not that I really spend hours looking, so I don't bother with the S&D at all.

Anywhere
March 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm an ii, and I do it occasionally if I have time. My ends are like an i though.

AnnaJamila
March 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM
It takes forever but I do it. Probably not as regularly as I should but I do it.

Lucky_Lucy
April 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I used to trim my hair regularly, but I recently decided I'd stop trimming, since it seems that it takes forever for my hair to grow. I S&D when I'm not to busy, and it takes up a lot of time, but I listen to music while doing it, so it's kind of fun actually.
I don't have as many splits as I used to have before. The majority of my splits are on my pre-bleached parts, I guess they are kind of prone to breakage(I used to have red highlights, and since I have really dark hair, I had to bleach them first :( ) Not surprisingly, the all-natural+ hennaed strands don't seem to have splits at all!(or maybe I don't see them, but that still means that there are less)

Renate
April 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I have ii hair. I only did S&D once. I decided because I was seeing very few splits but wanted to have 100% split-free hair. lol...

MissCoco
April 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I micro-trim every several months and do a tiny bit of S&Ding in between. I do admit my hair isn't prone to having many split ends, what with the heavy oiling I do (I think it contributes to my hair's health a lot), but even so, I keep up with it. Oh sure, it takes a lot of time, and I have to look verrrry closely, so I make sure to have a light background behind the strands.

ETA: forgot to add that it's iii in thickness, if that helps to know.

shutterpillar
April 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I do it when I have the time. I find I need to MAKE myself sit down and do it, though. its not something I enjoy... probably because my hair isnt too long yet.

MoonlightShadow
April 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Yes...I...do....oh so very painful though

sumidha
April 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Urrgh, I really should, my hair is full of split ends, but every time I start I end up getting discouraged and just trimming it instead. :\

Someday, I'll have a perfectly blunt hemline and then I can just do a microtrim every time I start to get split end-y. Someday.

Fortresca
April 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
For me S&D is absolutely nessessary. I can go quite long (thats how it feels to me in comparison to few years ago) without my hair getting to much Spliss, but once it's there, it explodes. But as a iii-person I think it doesn't show to bad to S&D and loose a little thickness at the hemline, instead of loosing like two inches every few month...

PrincessBob
April 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I s&d, but It takes forever. Snuggles also makes voices for each end I cut. "Aah! It's the destroyer! Run awayyyy!"
It makes me fee so bad, that I only do it for a little while.

MonaLisa
April 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
My splits aren't at the ends, unfortunately, they are all over...layers, shorter bits... Old damage I suppose, so I find it hard to ignore them and S&D more than I'd like.. I trim often too, every 2-3 months 1/2 inch or so :)

meeliah
April 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I never used to do anything for my split ends except a small trim about every 8 months. Then I found a youtube video about S&D and now I'm hooked. I have tons of damage, especially on the underside of my hair (bad ponytails in hats & jewelry). I'm at the stage now where I have a pair of scissors handly almost constantly. I need to buy a pair for the car because that's where I tend to see them the most.

tiarefleur
April 14th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I do it, but I focus more on the ends and tend to ignore the shorter pieces of hair because that would just take an endless amount of time!

Memza
April 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Mine are only ever really at the ends so every 3 months (ish) I do two braids and have a quick look through.

earthnut
April 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not even sure what a split end looks like...

henné
April 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I stopped doing that when my daughter was born :D Simply have no time for it now, plus I'm really doubtful of its effectiveness, to be honest. It's always been a bit of a waste of time for me and I used to do it only when I was bored or nervous (it's like with biting my nails :D) ...

melusine963
April 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I don't S&D as often or as thoroughly as I used to when my hair was shorter (because it takes so much longer these days), but I do keep a pair of hair-cutting scissors handy to get rid of any split ends I find while brushing or braiding.

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I rarely do it, just kind of forget about it. Plus, it is boring.

Freyariane
May 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I hardly have split ends so I just trim as usual ^^

ChristineB
May 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I am attempting to grow out my layers and for some reason the shortest layers always split the fastest! I don't S&D as much as I should, but luckily I don't really get too many splits if I make sure to do it occasionally, such as a day off from work when I have nothing better to do. :)

So much cheaper than going to a hairdresser in Toronto!

Astraea
June 16th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I'm no longer long, but took this up last year for the first time and promptly dropped it. I don't split much and found it really boring and non-productive.

Spindle
June 16th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I find taking a bunch of hair (about a tenth of all my hair) and twisting it round it till the ends stick out (if you know what I mean?) makes the whole S&D so much easier...
Then most of the splits are all on display for the snipping!

riceball
June 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I do. I know this is bad but I do it when I am sitting behind a long traffic light.

And I HATE noticing splits and white dots when I don't have my scissors on me! It feels silly to do S and D because I have so much hair, but I feel happy when I get rid of gross ends. I also haven't had a real trim in more than two years.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I still S&D because I am a perfectionist and want my hair to look its absolute best. Secondly, even though my hair is thick in volume, it is also very fine in texture so it is prone to damage more so than if I had medium or course textured hair. I have a natural tendency to want to pamper it even more due to its texture.

spirals
July 25th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I've never done it. Well, not since high school, which was 20 years ago. Once a year I trim off 1/2 inch of the longest part. Since I reshape layers a couple times a year, I don't notice splits.

Shepherdess
July 29th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I used to S& D frequently, but I haven't really done it this year at all. I haven't really noticed any difference in my hair since I stopped. I have decided to try and reach my terminal length, so I am not planning on trimming my hair in a long time (I might only trim if my hair starts looking unhealthy).

petali
July 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I do not have very thick hair (3.5 in) but it's very fine. So I have a lot of fine, fragile hair. It's very breakage-prone, and if my hair breaks off, a new split forms :( This is why I have tons of shorter hairs with splits on them. Most of my long hairs are really healthy, and ever since I stopped using a ball-tipped brush, I've been noticing less splits. I know that I'll never be able to S&D all my hair.

Once I tried to S&D all my hair, but it took me about 1 hour to thoroughly S&D a 1-inch strand of hair :angry: so now I just take a section of hair randomly and chop off the splits :D

sorry for the ramble

:o

sharonluvscats
July 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I do not have very thick hair (3.5 in) but it's very fine. So I have a lot of fine, fragile hair. It's very breakage-prone, and if my hair breaks off, a new split forms :( This is why I have tons of shorter hairs with splits on them. Most of my long hairs are really healthy, and ever since I stopped using a ball-tipped brush, I've been noticing less splits. I know that I'll never be able to S&D all my hair.

Once I tried to S&D all my hair, but it took me about 1 hour to thoroughly S&D a 1-inch strand of hair :angry: so now I just take a section of hair randomly and chop off the splits :D

sorry for the ramble

:o

Sounds just like me! It takes way too long to do my whole head so I usually pick up random pieces.

snowtale
August 2nd, 2012, 03:40 AM
Sometimes, but it's a pain finding them.

Redhead Rebel
August 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM
If I see a split or white dot I cut it off straight away as i'm growing out damage

queenovnight
July 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
I S&D, but it takes a good while for me to actually get the job done - I'm talking at least a week.