PDA

View Full Version : A Thought about Profiles and Privacy

MusingFrog
March 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I know of several people now that are rejecting Friend requests for one reason or another, and I was wondering if there is anyway of making a note about this in our profiles?

So, let's say I only wanted people with 1000+ posts to see my journal, instead of having to reject a whole bunch of Friend requests and risk hurt feelings I could simply put a statement on my profile page about who I will accept as friends. That way people that don't meet the criteria won't feel like they are being singled out and I wouldn't get a whole bunch of requests from people I am going to deny.

Just a suggestion. :)

ETA: This is hypothetical in case anyone is wondering, I personally am not limiting my friends to those with 1000 posts or above.

physicschick
March 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Well, you can post a message in your own profile (just like other people write message in your profile). I'm not sure that people would notice, though. If you're really concerned about it, you can put something in your sig. That would probably get the most exposure.

PatGear
March 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Well, you can post a message in your own profile (just like other people write message in your profile). I'm not sure that people would notice, though. If you're really concerned about it, you can put something in your sig. That would probably get the most exposure.The problem the message in your profile would get bumped as other people post. And you only get 3 lines for your sig. If you have a complicated rule it may not fit very well with all the other stuff you probably already have in your sig.

I was thinking of starting The official "my friend/contact policy" thread where people can post in there with their policy. Then they can link to that post in their sig. Would that be something that's appropriate?

Delila
March 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You could mention it in the 'Biography' section of your profile, couldn't you?

Dvips
March 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
You could mention it in the 'Biography' section of your profile, couldn't you? This is what I was thinking might work best.

PatGear
March 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ok, I took that suggestion but since that tab isn't the default and most people probably would've missed it, I mentioned it in the sig as well.

MusingFrog
March 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Wow! Great suggestions! I honestly didn't think about putting it somewhere in one of those tabs because the default is "Visitor Comments" and I would guess people generally don't look through those before befriending someone. I really like PatGear's solution though.