PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent sun damage during water sports/activities

thirstylocks
April 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I found some threads on preventing damage with hats, etc, during the summer, but last summer my hair became fried even though I spent most of the day in the water (I was windsurfing, think from 12-7 pm every day for a couple of months.)

This year I will also be spending a few weeks in a very sunny place, with most of my day being spent in the water diving (this may be less damaging since I'll be submerged.) How can I protect my hair? Do you know of any waterproof, hair friendly spf products??

coneyisland
April 27th, 2012, 03:42 AM
The Scuba Do Rag should protect your hair from the sun. It has a rear pouch (or pocket) for hair so it would hold pouched a single braid at rear.

http://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2

If you would be in saltwater or heavily chlorinated water, I would suggest also having your hair wet in the first place, with kinder water and/or dilute conditioner.

coneyisland
April 27th, 2012, 03:48 AM
The Madora Salon's 12 Minute Conditioner, available by mail order, is formulated to protect hair from UV and saltwater.

SilverDoe
April 27th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I use Jojoba oil for both body & hair when I'm out in the sun as it has a natural SPF, although low. And wear a scarf when it's windy on the beach.