PDA

View Full Version : There is Gunk... in my hair. [Swimming Woes]

sun-kissed
April 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM
The swimming season has just started for me, and I'm now spending time at the pool every few days. I've decided that heavily oiling, wetting, conditioning, and braiding in a single braid is a great way to swim with my MBL hair. Immediately after getting out of the pool, I'll rinse off with fresh water. When back in the house, I un-braid and CO or WO wash under cold water, then slather my length with conditioner. Getting out of the shower, I add leave-in conditioner. To dry my hair, I'm now using an old tee-shirt and I wrap it up in a turban while I dry my body. I then flip it over with the shirt still on it, and carefully rub my scalp with my fingers. Afterwards, I flip it right-side-up and comb it out with more leave-in conditioner.

But my hair is gross! :(
All of the hair that's near the scalp(all non-length hair) gets coated is some sort of gunky stuff every time I spend time submerged in water. It looks great, and I can go forever without washing it even, because the gunk acts like dry-shampoo and a styling product. It looks perfect and full, if not slightly dull up top. The problem is, I can't touch it. It's sticky and thick to the touch, and my fingers get coated with sebum and smell. It's really, really grossing me out.

The first time I had this problem was on vacation this spring, where the place I was staying at had a huge tub in the master bath, and I spent a half hour just soaking and relaxing in the warm water. I had my hair submerged for the majority of that time, and after it dried that night it was all gunky, despite the fact that I had used shampoo on my scalp in the bath.

It takes several shampoos to wash the stuff out, and while BBBing on the dirty hair fills my brush with the gunk, it doesn't help a whole lot.

So what's up? Is my scalp just that dirty and it spreads in the water? :confused: I've never had this trouble in the past when I swam, and overall my scalp has been in much better condition than before I started COing, diluting my shampoo, stretching washes, and doing scalp massages.

Help?

Amanah
April 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking Clarifying shampoo to degunk your scalp.

ratgirldjh
April 25th, 2012, 10:53 AM
It sounds like sebum to me. When I went WO this would have been a very good explanation of my hair! It looked great but felt sticky and my brush filled up when I brushed!

I also think clarifying would be good - perhaps a bentonite clay mask would work too - it really helps my hair when I need to get stuff out.