PDA

View Full Version : Braid waves, love them or hate them?

Bagginslover
April 25th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Before LHC, I HATED braid waves. I would never plait my hair at all as I just couldn't stand them.

Now, I love them! I braid my hair every night for bed, and my waves stay in most of the following day, with no products at all (this never used to happen, waves and curls would fall out if you looked at my hair funny!).

I also find braid waves make bunning easier than with my hair naturally straight. the added texture is just that little bit grippier so my buns are firmer, and less likely to fall out.

Do you like braid waves? post pics so I can see your lovely waves! (I'll add mine when I'm home;) )

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Love them; my hair nearly always has them. :D On the first night after washing, I tuck the braid tassel under the hairtie so that dries with a wave too, stops me getting spaghetti ends. :) My sig is braidwaves; they're much more even and predictable than my natural wave.

Johanna
April 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I don't mind my braid waves, I do prefer bun waves though, I like the looser curls. I definitely don't like the look of my braid waves brushed out. It is way too fooofy for what I loke.

PrincessIdril
April 25th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I love braid waves. I have a natural wave and braid waves just enhances it.
I won't share any pictures as I'm currently fighting off a fever and really can't go digging out pictures/my camera to take some

Tota
April 25th, 2012, 05:58 AM
I don't like braid waves at the moment because I have a thin hemline and braid waves makes it appear even thinner. I am currently microtrimming to thicken my hemline and hopefully my hair will look nicer with braid waves in time.

Shebelina
April 25th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I love my braid waves, they are so similar to my natural waves just more predictable. Since joining TLHC my hair type has changed drastically, it's strange that not so long ago I thought I had almost stick straight hair.

schweedie
April 25th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I prefer bun waves since no matter how hard I try I always get spagetti ends after braiding, but I've definitely started to enjoy braid waves more and more as my hair's gotten longer! Also, my hair needs to be at least slightly damp when I braid for the waves to last more than an hour. This was a relatively successful day:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/growingmyhair/SAM_5692.jpg

Fortresca
April 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I don't love or hate braid waves, I just have them - but I love braided hairstyles!

Long_hair_bear
April 25th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I don't really mind my hair either way, straight or wavy. :)

auburntressed
April 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I am not sure how I feel about braid waves. They completely change how my hair acts. When I wash my hair, before it has been braided... it is completely flat with no body whatsoever. It looks thin, basically... very thin. After my hair has been braided, it poofs out as if I have massive frizz and thickness! The texture even feels different. Before braiding, my hair is slippery and slick. After braiding, it sticks and molds to itself however I tell it to. Though the ends always look strange... because the part that was in the tassel is still limp and thin-like, while the rest is as poof as an afro. (Okay, not THAT poofy). So there is a definite line where the poofiness just STOPS, with little rat-tails as the finish.

Either way, I love braids. I braid my hair for the braids, not the texture or look of hair when out of a braid.

ETA: My hair texture before braiding is what makes me wonder sometimes if I have fine hair - because it is smooth and feels like silk to the touch. The texture after braiding is what makes me think coarse, because it feels and looks coarse. Visually, I went with M/C because the strands individually do look thick to me. But there are so many things I hear fine hairs say that I am like, "Hey, me too!" Like the issue of greasies coming back so soon after washing.

longNred
April 25th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm sporting them today. Sometimes I love the ropey look. I used to HATE them when I was younger, probably because I had them so often & took my long hair for granted... but now that I'm older, and cherishing my long hair, I do love them.

UpNorth
April 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I have always had braidwaves since I have slept in braids for several years now :) I have braidwaves on my siggy pic!

Carolyn
April 25th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I don't like them. I could probably say I hate them but maybe that's too strong a word since I only really care about how my hair looks. I braid my hair quite often and like braided styles but I don't like the look of hair that has been braided and then combed out. You can usually see exactly where the hair was sectioned off into the three sections for braiding. The waves are at slightly different levels on each section. I don't think that is attractive. So I would never go anywhere in public with braid waves. No just no, I wouldn't. I do like bun waves because I think they look more like a natural wave. I really prefer my hair straight for the times when I choose to wear it down.

Phalaenopsis
April 25th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I like them, but I need to be in the mood for them :) And then I intentionally braid to get the waves, making sure my ends are wavy too. Otherwise, I don't like braidwaves, I don't like the flat ends in contrast to the waves in the middle.

I just had some braidwaves today, because I was trying out a new technique, it turned out really nice:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/Geennaam.jpg

QMacrocarpa
April 25th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Braiding helps tame my curl, so I think of them more as braid-anti-waves. :)

PolarCathy
April 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I hate braid waves but I love braids. I find braid waves very unnatural. When I don't want to wear my braids anymore but I don't feel like washing, I spritz it and brush it out.

wandlimb
April 25th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I love braid waves! My hair is quite fine and needs some volume, but I have no luck with rollers cos it just drops out. Braid waves stay in!

Firefly
April 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Sometimes: at the moment I'm liking my natural wave pattern (sig). Slight highjack-- what kind of buns give the best bun waves? I never get good waves from buns, but maybe I'm doing the wrong kind. :confused:

julliams
April 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Love them; my hair nearly always has them. :D On the first night after washing, I tuck the braid tassel under the hairtie so that dries with a wave too, stops me getting spaghetti ends. :) My sig is braidwaves; they're much more even and predictable than my natural wave.

That's a really cool idea re the braid tassel being tucked in. I will try that. Pepperminttea, how many braids do you do and do you french, dutch or english braid?

julliams
April 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I like them, but I need to be in the mood for them :) And then I intentionally braid to get the waves, making sure my ends are wavy too. Otherwise, I don't like braidwaves, I don't like the flat ends in contrast to the waves in the middle.

I just had some braidwaves today, because I was trying out a new technique, it turned out really nice:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/Geennaam.jpg

Looka beautiful!! How did you do it?

BeckyAH
April 25th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I am just making peace with the fact that my hair is more curly than wavy, and regular braid waves pull out my curl so I'm not a huge fan of them as an accidental side effect of how I wear my hair. Sleeping with a bunch of smaller braids and ending up looking crimped, on the other hand, I find fun occasionally.

buttercupmcgee
April 25th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I am not sure how I feel about braid waves. They completely change how my hair acts. When I wash my hair, before it has been braided... it is completely flat with no body whatsoever. It looks thin, basically... very thin. After my hair has been braided, it poofs out as if I have massive frizz and thickness! The texture even feels different. Before braiding, my hair is slippery and slick. After braiding, it sticks and molds to itself however I tell it to. Though the ends always look strange... because the part that was in the tassel is still limp and thin-like, while the rest is as poof as an afro. (Okay, not THAT poofy). So there is a definite line where the poofiness just STOPS, with little rat-tails as the finish.

Either way, I love braids. I braid my hair for the braids, not the texture or look of hair when out of a braid.

ETA: My hair texture before braiding is what makes me wonder sometimes if I have fine hair - because it is smooth and feels like silk to the touch. The texture after braiding is what makes me think coarse, because it feels and looks coarse. Visually, I went with M/C because the strands individually do look thick to me. But there are so many things I hear fine hairs say that I am like, "Hey, me too!" Like the issue of greasies coming back so soon after washing.

This is interesting, I have the opposite problem (I consider my individual hairs to be fine, but I have a lot of them--is your hair straight naturally?)

My hair has a lot of poof and texture on its own, but after braiding overnight, my hair becomes very flat on top and then the waves are rather "meh". I prefer big, loopy S waves or spirals on me, rather than the flat, sleep, slippery ones I tend to get from braiding.

BeckyAH
April 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM
My hair has a lot of poof and texture on its own, but after braiding overnight, my hair becomes very flat on top and then the waves are rather "meh". I prefer big, loopy S waves or spirals on me, rather than the flat, sleep, slippery ones I tend to get from braiding.

Have you tried sleeping in two rope braids? I tried this last night, and ended up with a lot of spirals and something much, much closer to my normal curl pattern - only without the frizz I get from regular old air drying. I may be in love.

buttercupmcgee
April 25th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Have you tried sleeping in two rope braids? I tried this last night, and ended up with a lot of spirals and something much, much closer to my normal curl pattern - only without the frizz I get from regular old air drying. I may be in love.

Ooooh, cool idea! Does it still retain the volume on top?

Anje
April 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Like them, but I find myself wishing the wavelength was larger, especially near the ends. Tiny little kinky waves and suddenly straight ends aren't making me happy right now.

Guess I ought to find some yarn and make a paranda already!

BeckyAH
April 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Ooooh, cool idea! Does it still retain the volume on top?

Yep! Probably because the rope braids themselves seem to involve less pulling and smoothing at the crown as well as the length. I'm a little bit in love with the result, honestly, because anything that lets me preserve curl pattern for more than a day I am a fan of - and regular braid waves just don't do it for me.

morrigan*
April 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Now i like them, but before LHC i didn't like them a bit :D

Chetanlaiho
April 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not a big fan of them, due to my curl pattern my hair can look like them in the middle part naturally, but then they are still more, circular somehow? I feel like braidwaves just make them zigzag, flatly, which I don't really like >_<

Then again, doing anything with my hair except for not touching it after it's freshly washed will ruin my curl pattern >_>

Miss Maisie
April 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I don't like braid waves at all (but I love braided styles). Bun waves all the way for me!

summergreen
April 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I love them! I wear them every day - my hair's natural straightness doesn't suit me at all.

spidermom
April 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Lovelovelove the braid waves.
I braid down to the very end (no tassle), and my hair holds the wave so beautifully.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/mermaidhair.jpg (after twin dutch braids)

Taenarian
April 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Oh yes, I love my braid waves. They do "shorten" my hair when I leave down, so I seem to be forever between APL and BSL. Is it really BSL if my V hemline hair is wet? I think it's just wishful thinking :)

sarelis
April 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Spidermom, your braid waves look beautiful! On me I prefer bun waves though :)

shutterpillar
April 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I am not really a fan of braid waves. I prefer to use foam rollers if I want a curly/wavy look.

This may change as my hair gets longer and I need to braid it more often.

Laylah
April 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I love the effect of braids on my hair, not only the waves. The waves are great because if I do 4 or 6 braids, it is almost the same as my natural texture, just more even. If I do 1 braid, I get straighter hair. It's convenient not having straight hair because I never get spaghetti ends, I get curly ends. The other great thing about braids is that they compact my hair and make it less puffy and huge, more sleek and flat on my back. I also like getting big curls from lots of tiny cinnabuns.

ingvild
April 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I don't really like braid waves - my hair doesn't hold them and then it gets a kind of unnatural straight-ness (but not completely..) going on and looks very ratty, especially the ends. But all of the braid waves here look beautiful, like spidermom's!

I much prefer my natural hair texture, but I rarely see it because I wear braids all the time anyways. ;) I just don't wear my hair down and don't have to see the braid waves. :p

rock007junkie
April 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I'm loving them recently. It's an easy way to set your hair.

lapushka
April 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Love my braid waves when my hair's been loosely braided. I don't much like the tighter braid waves, unless there's multiple braids involved. Odd, I know.

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
That's a really cool idea re the braid tassel being tucked in. I will try that. Pepperminttea, how many braids do you do and do you french, dutch or english braid?

Good luck, I hope it works for you! :) I normally get a slightly different curl/wave pattern at the ends with that but I don't think it blends that badly.

I actually just do an English braid at the nape. I have tried French braids, and the waves they give me are amazing (more volume, too), but all the manipulation to do them normally means my roots get oilier faster, so I save them for special occasions and have dry shampoo at the ready. :D

darklyndsea
April 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
My braid waves are pretty much the same as my natural waves, so I don't really have an opinion one way or another.

herdaughter77
April 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I love braid waves! I sometimes braid my hair just to get waves. :D Something out of the ordinary ruler-straight locks of hair I possess. (My avatar is an example of after-shower waves)

I have a picture of my braid waves, but not on TLHC.
If only the computer and I were friends today.........

spidermom
April 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I love braid waves! I sometimes braid my hair just to get waves. :D Something out of the ordinary ruler-straight locks of hair I possess. (My avatar is an example of after-shower waves)

I have a picture of my braid waves, but not on TLHC.
If only the computer and I were friends today.........

Your avatar looks like a dog to me.

melusine963
April 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I don't personally like my braid or bun waves, but since my hair is never loose I don't think about it too much.

AdaClare
April 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I love braid waves. :D I usually braid my hair at night, so I have them during the day.

Amanah
April 25th, 2012, 02:58 PM
braid waves would mean that I'd have enough hair to braid, so I'm thinking love it.

dwell_in_safety
April 25th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I prefer my natural wave pattern, definitely, but braid waves can be gorgeous in their own right. I prefer them on much longer hair than what I have at the moment. :p

cfreya
April 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Sorry but this made me laugh out loud:p

cfreya
April 25th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Ps I belong with those who never used to like braidwaves but do since joining
Will look better when my hair is longer though

Kira94
April 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I like how they look (if they start at the top), but I don't always wear them cause they make my hair super floaty and poofy. :/ I'm hoping that'll get better as my hair gets longer.
I love them on other people though! :)

TeaGarden
April 25th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I adore braid waves!! In my hair they look like pretty s waves. If I use a brush they sometimes will look too voluminous, so I use a wide toothed comb. It works really well! So if you're the kind of person that dislikes them because you can't brush them, try that instead. :)

MissManda
April 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I love braid waves, especially when I put some leave-in on my hair before braiding. That makes them very soft, smooth, and shiny. :crush: Those are braid waves in my siggy, actually.

spidermom
April 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I adore braid waves!! In my hair they look like pretty s waves. If I use a brush they sometimes will look too voluminous, so I use a wide toothed comb. It works really well! So if you're the kind of person that dislikes them because you can't brush them, try that instead. :)

I like mine best if I don't even comb after removing the braids.

HumanBean
April 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I love them. I just started sleeping in braids about 3 weeks ago and I like how they exterior my hai for the next day and accentuate the body wave I already have.

irisheyes
April 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I love my braid waves. I do a french braid at night without any ties on the ends to prevent crimping. I braid it all the way to the very ends. The braid doesn't even unravel during the night. I don't brush or comb it when I remove the braid next morning. This was a good fix for the frizzies that were bothering me lately. I didn't like braid waves when my hair was shorter, but it looks so much better now that my hair is past waist, especially in combination with my fairytale ends. I never used to like those fairytale ends, either.

Carrie Ingalls
April 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM

I think she might have meant the picture in her signature. The avy looks like a dog to me too. :)

I'm not a huge fan of braid waves, but I think that partly has to do with let liking to wear my hair down much and how poofy my hair can get with braid waves that have been combed out. So, I have yet to learn to love them in my own hair, but I have spent no time trying to. Also, I rarely every braid my hair these days.

Mesmerise
April 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I used to love making braid waves when I was a kid (and my hair was pretty straight) but now I think they look ridiculous in my hair and make it look all frizzy/fluffy!

ApatheticFairy
April 25th, 2012, 10:47 PM
My braid waves look foofy, too. Maybe when I get BSL it'll look better. I don't know how to go about making bun waves.... do you just do a cinna-bun and then comb it out slightly?

SoulOfTheSea
April 25th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Good luck, I hope it works for you! :) I normally get a slightly different curl/wave pattern at the ends with that but I don't think it blends that badly.

I actually just do an English braid at the nape. I have tried French braids, and the waves they give me are amazing (more volume, too), but all the manipulation to do them normally means my roots get oilier faster, so I save them for special occasions and have dry shampoo at the ready. :D

Do you do this with damp hair coming out of the shower, or do you spray your hair with water, and put some AVG? What state is your hair in when you do this? :D

herdaughter77
April 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Haha! Looks like my brain was somewhere else....again.
I did truely mean my siggy, as Carrie Ingalls said. :o
Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

spidermom
April 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Haha! Looks like my brain was somewhere else....again.
I did truely mean my siggy, as Carrie Ingalls said. :o
Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

That's what I figured, really; I was being dense (in purpose).

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
My hair is way too short to even braid right now. But I love look of braid waves and can't wait until I can do them.

pepperminttea
April 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Do you do this with damp hair coming out of the shower, or do you spray your hair with water, and put some AVG? What state is your hair in when you do this? :D

I wash my hair in the evening, turban it for 15-20 minutes, then detangle it damp and put in my leave-ins (normally something 'coney to help with tangles, sometimes a drop of oil before hand too if my rinse-out conditioner wasn't too heavy). Then I braid it instead of damp bunning it, and go to bed. The ends have begun to fluff up, but mainly it's still quite damp. (This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9822&pictureid=126838) photo might help.)

In the morning, I take it out without combing, and sometimes smooth flyaways with a single spritz of Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). (Silk pillowcase helps a lot with those!) And that's me sorted really. :) The length is normally still damp-ish in the morning, but it dries fairly quickly after I let it down.

Sunny_side_up
April 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6405&pictureid=103961

I enjoy the waviness, i braid after my evening wash every so often and leave the braids to dry over night. Last time i braided i wore my hair down for the day and it behaved :D

Kira94
April 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
So, has anyone figured out a way to make them non foofy? Or will it just work better once my hair's longer? It's about an inch and a bit past BSL now.

Bedhead
April 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I think it depends on the braid. Personally I prefer my natural curl, but braid waves can offer a different look. Here's me 7 weeks ago with crown braid waves:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9866&pictureid=128300

pes3108
April 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I hate them on me, but love them on others. I prefer my natural curl because braid waves make my hair look and feel thinner. However, that doesn't keep me from wearing my hair in some type of braided hair style 75&#37; of the time. I will usually enjoy my natural curls the first few days after a wash and then leave it braided until the next wash time. Once its braided, I can't let it loose again ... I just don't like the way they look on me!

SoulOfTheSea
April 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I wash my hair in the evening, turban it for 15-20 minutes, then detangle it damp and put in my leave-ins (normally something 'coney to help with tangles, sometimes a drop of oil before hand too if my rinse-out conditioner wasn't too heavy). Then I braid it instead of damp bunning it, and go to bed. The ends have begun to fluff up, but mainly it's still quite damp. (This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9822&pictureid=126838) photo might help.)

In the morning, I take it out without combing, and sometimes smooth flyaways with a single spritz of Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). (Silk pillowcase helps a lot with those!) And that's me sorted really. :) The length is normally still damp-ish in the morning, but it dries fairly quickly after I let it down.

Yay, thank you for explaining that all out! :grin:

I have gotten successful braid waves before (I have them in my profile picture) when I had braided my hair in pigtails when it was about 90% dry after washing. I'm still a bit of a chicken to even attempt damp detangling! :eek:

CocoBean
April 26th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lately, since joining LHC and learning how to care for my hair, I've stopped doing all the bad things I used to do: blow dry, flat iron, hot curlers... it was anything to NOT deal with my curly, wavy, frizzy and DRY hair!

Now it's starting to get some life back into it and I'm learning to love my hair. I've braided my hair when wet and let it air dry all day. Then the next day it's all 'wavy braided' - only it looks a little stringy. It's not bad if I don't comb or brush it out... just finger it a little, but it will be much nicer looking when it's down to my waist. At BSL it's not that great, at least that's what I think. I do like the bun waves too.

I always think it looks so pretty on someone else! :)

Bedhead
April 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
So, has anyone figured out a way to make them non foofy? Or will it just work better once my hair's longer? It's about an inch and a bit past BSL now.

Start with damp braids and a few drops of oil. Only do one quick finger comb, then whatever you do, do not touch! At least that's what I've done and I've never had any foofiness. ;)

NaturalVegan
April 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Hi lovelies, I'm new to the forum... :)

How many braids, and sectioned off in what way, and what type of braids? Especially for my only very slightly wavy, pretty thin/fine, mid-back length hair?

And, if this isn't too off-topic, what sort of buns work best for bun-waves?

Thank you much!!!

Carissamarie08
April 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I hate them now but I think it's cause my hair is to short for the look.

Springgrl
April 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I started loving braid waves when I utilized habioku's braids with the yarn. It makes it so the waves go all the way down to the ends. I hated braid waves when I had 'spaghetti ends'!

meishkamooshka
April 27th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I love braid waves! They feel so organic and natural. I don't know. I think they look great on everyone, and I love how soft they are.

This picture is an extreme version of braid waves, considering the hair was tightly cornrowed, slept on, washed, and dried for approximately a week before I took it out:

http://i48.tinypic.com/157iq83.jpg

Typically, these are what my waves look like:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d7zl8y.jpg

kidari
April 27th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I love them on thick, long, one-length hair. I cannot wait until I achieve it. The only thing I don't like is when there is a stark contrast in the texture of straight vs. where it was braided.

Phalaenopsis
April 27th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Looka beautiful!! How did you do it?

Like Springgrl said :)

I started loving braid waves when I utilized habioku's braids with the yarn. It makes it so the waves go all the way down to the ends. I hated braid waves when I had 'spaghetti ends'!

I was trying this out to make a vid about it. The results are really awesome!
I can recommend this technique to everyone, it gives such an even result, I'm so happy to finally have found THE way to get pretty waves :cheer: :

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/Geennaam-1.jpg

PolarCathy
April 27th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I love them on thick, long, one-length hair. I cannot wait until I achieve it. The only thing I don't like is when there is a stark contrast in the texture of straight vs. where it was braided.

I donät do it because every time I see those ends I get the urge to chop. It would be funny to chop after every braid. ;)

spidermom
April 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM

For me, it's "do not comb", not even finger comb. I merely un-braid and let my hair be. At first it looks kind of piecy, but gradually the waves blend.

One touch of comb or finger, and it gets floofy.

summergreen
April 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM
For me, it's "do not comb", not even finger comb. I merely un-braid and let my hair be. At first it looks kind of piecy, but gradually the waves blend.

One touch of comb or finger, and it gets floofy.

This exactly. I don't comb at all until next washday, just re-do the braids each night. When I've combed at night before re-doing braids its still been floofy the next morning, even after sleeping on damp braids.

summergreen
April 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hi lovelies, I'm new to the forum... :)

How many braids, and sectioned off in what way, and what type of braids? Especially for my only very slightly wavy, pretty thin/fine, mid-back length hair?

And, if this isn't too off-topic, what sort of buns work best for bun-waves?

Thank you much!!!

You might need to try out a few different combinations before you find the best type and number of braids for your hair. I would start with 2 dutch braids, one on each side, this way all the hair gets waved more or less from the roots. I usually also make a small English braid at the back, taking hair from above the crown and braiding it so that it covers the crown - that way you don't get 'scalp cleavage'! Then I work that braid into one of the side braids.
Hope that helps!

summergreen
April 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Meishkamooshka, I totally loooooove your post-cornrow waves!!!

Jessibear2854
April 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I like braid-waves on others, but not on my hair. It gets too frizzy and foofy. My braids don't stay in long enough to make a coherent wave because of layers and whatnot.

lolot
April 27th, 2012, 10:31 AM
i love braid waves, they make my hair look thicker, and i dont like bun waves :P

NaturalVegan
April 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
You might need to try out a few different combinations before you find the best type and number of braids for your hair. I would start with 2 dutch braids, one on each side, this way all the hair gets waved more or less from the roots. I usually also make a small English braid at the back, taking hair from above the crown and braiding it so that it covers the crown - that way you don't get 'scalp cleavage'! Then I work that braid into one of the side braids.
Hope that helps!

Thanks, summergreen, I appreciate your help. Will post pics when I eventually try braid waves :)

meishkamooshka
April 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Meishkamooshka, I totally loooooove your post-cornrow waves!!!

Thank you! I loved them, too. I wish I naturally had waves like that, haha! :D

Guenever
April 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I can't stand braid waves.. they make my hair look thin and piecey.
I'm a bun wave kind of gal :)

mzBANGBANG
April 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I don't feel like my hair is long enough to look good with braid waves yet. They always make my ends extremely dry and scare the bejeezus out of me because I think my hair is damaged. If I do a bunch of tiny braids (maybe 15-20) I get a really cute crimped look however that takes quite a bit of time. I prefer my hair with bun waves, or even blow dried straight over braid waves.

Bagginslover
April 29th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Finally came back with my own photos!!
Eveyones waves look beautiful!

These are mine from the day I first posted this thread-I just forgot to upload them!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bagginslover/hair/fd59fc1c.jpg
True colour (the flash washes out the red somehow...)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bagginslover/hair/847b61e2.jpg
You can see the wave pattern better with the flash though.

I don't find mine get floofy with brushing at all. I brush them several times a day to keep tangles at bay, and no frizz at all. My hair is super straight though, maybe that makes a difference?

Bianca
April 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Do not like braid waves.... So am now not sleeping with it braided or drying it braided (which I used too) to avoid them. All I get is weird kinks and frizz :)

florenonite
April 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Like them, but I find myself wishing the wavelength was larger, especially near the ends. Tiny little kinky waves and suddenly straight ends aren't making me happy right now.

Guess I ought to find some yarn and make a paranda already!

That's why I don't pull the end all the way through the tie ;)

This picture's a good example of what happens if I do two French braids and double the end under:

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/frogggyh/100_3299.jpg

That's pretty time-consuming, though, so I only do it if I particularly want waves the next day. More often my sleep braid is English or Dutch and I wear my hair up the next day.

I prefer braid waves because bun waves just don't work in my hair. I get one big kink and that's it.

Becky9679
April 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I love braid waves, they're my favourite thing to do with my hair to make it look a little more interesting! My usual method is to just braid when damp in the evening and take out the braids in the morning. Anything from two dutch braids to as many as I can be bothered doing, sometimes as many as 20 small ones. When I was little my mum would do this for me and she'd do what seemed like hundreds of tiny braids tied with cotton at the ends. When taken down it looked like I'd used crimpers!

Also, I sometimes quite like brushing out the waves to make my hair go a bit foofy but maybe I'm just odd :p

This is probably the best braid wave picture I have of myself, this was from a crown braid in dry hair, worn for about 8 hours.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=126607

SacantRoese
April 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I love them! Braiding my hair is the only time I have my hair how I want it... because I hate straight hair, haha. Sorry, no pictures...

HintOfMint
April 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I much prefer bun waves. I think it's why I hardly ever do braided styles, even though I much prefer them to regular buns. AAAH, decisions, decisions!

jacqueline101
April 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I used to wear them before I joined here. I love them.