PDA

View Full Version : Mega Help for over processed hair!

Lazy Loop
April 24th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I'm new, kinda lost and unable to use "search" effectively.

My hair is not very pretty right now. Trying to "not cut". Over colored for decades with Semi Permanent dye. Some bleach frost to try to blend in grey. Lots of product use (gel, hairspray). Lots of washing, always blow drying on med hi. Curling/flat irons. And basic neglect. No split ends (yet) and trimmed most of damage off about 6 months ago. I guess I'm lucky I have hair at all!

So, it's down my neck, top of shoulder, highlighted, salt & pepper growing out (yea, it's real cute!). I've stopped/cut way back on everything! I use baby oil, helps a lot. Wash less often, air dry every chance I get and try egg wash (pretty good), hair masks.

I'm shooting in the dark, winging it. Can you hook me up with some good ideas to get my hair jump started to healthy?? Thanks :magic:

kmarie99
April 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
What kind of shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?
Also, I use coconut oil and baby oil. I find that baby oil gives the hair shine and softness but doesn't absorb as well as coconut oil.

Also, for searching on this site, I'd recommend using google. I just type in "longhaircommunity (whatever i'm searching)" and I always get more accurate results that using the search bar on here.

Lazy Loop
April 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the search tip. I have used Aussie shampoos, and shampoos for brunettes lately. But right now I have a purple shampoo for keeping down brassiness. Years back I tried Dr. Bronner's as shampoo. My fave conditioner is Infusium 23, for the satiny feel it gives when I rinse it out. But I have bought a few hair packs too. I even tried no poo CO for awhile. This week: Egg Shampoo, lol!! Tonight I am sleeping in lots of pure coconut oil and a scarf.

Advice?

sarelis
April 25th, 2012, 01:22 AM
For bleach damage I really recommend Aphogee 2 step, it's saved me from having to chop off a lot of length. I bought mine from Amazon. This stuff really stinks, is not the easiest thing to use & needs to be repeated every 6-8 weeks, but really gives results. I can tell when I need to do a treatment, all of a sudden my ends look & feel dreadful, after treatment - soft, strong & shiny :) This is a very heavy duty protein treatment, be sure to do a deep moisturising treatment afterwards :)

MagicalMystery
April 25th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Everytime someone mentions over-processed hair, I instantly recommend Giovanni's Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. I just mentioned it in another thread. It saved my hair and I wish I'd have discovered a lot sooner, because I could have avoided a lot of trimming. That stuff worked miracles for me!

Lazy Loop
April 26th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks so much for all recommends here! Going to search for them.

xoxophelia
April 26th, 2012, 12:23 AM
If your hair is anything like mine was when I first joined I'd cut out the blow drier all together (or stick to the cool setting at most). Make a point to schedule things in such a way you don't have to use it. Since it isn't long enough to wear up yet, make use of clips or headbands and grow until you can do at least a ponytail. Being able to throw it up and do benign neglect is a life saver when trying to grow out damage if you don't want a major chop. Once you are able to put it up, start trimming on a regular basis some point after that.

ETA: just realized you might not know about oils yet. My hair is relatively heavy duty so extra virgin olive oil works very well for me but you may have better luck with virgin coconut oil. There are other oils people use. But when my hair was really bad off I tried putting about 1 TBSN extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) mixed with about 1/2 TBSN honey into my hair and left it on over night. Even just 1-2 hours would help. My hair went from being stiff and dry to moist and floppy from that. That is just what worked for me but it is worth a try! I put it on dry hair, put it up in a high bun, covered it with a shower cap, pinned the shower cap to my hair, and then with a towel on my pillow. I then washed it out with shampoo through all of the hair and let it sit for about.. 15 seconds? Made sure to work it in decently. It rinsed out just fine.

Lazy Loop
April 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Xoxophelia, I find the blow dryer is the worst on my hair! Strategy to avoid whenever possible. Oils: I slept with tons of coconut oil on my hair 2 nights ago, not any noticeable difference yet. I am LOVING baby oil as a hair tonic during the day or after washing.

I'm beginning to suspect "protein" is hurting, the symptoms seem to match, so eliminate that for now. Most everything in my bathroom has protein added to 'repair' damage.

I'm going to try clipping hair up, need to find some ideas for my length, though. Thx!

spookyghost
April 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Everytime someone mentions over-processed hair, I instantly recommend Giovanni's Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. I just mentioned it in another thread. It saved my hair and I wish I'd have discovered a lot sooner, because I could have avoided a lot of trimming. That stuff worked miracles for me!

I saw that post! I cant remember which one -but I saw it. I wrote it down in my notebook and Im going to look it up:)

Lazy Loop
April 27th, 2012, 09:25 AM
P.S. My hair does feel softer right now! Yesterday I did CWC, no blow dry!!!! I think you might be able to "cure" straw hair!!

Lazy Loop
April 28th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Another discovery: I might try to switch my part to the other side. It's awkward but there is soft hair underneath! Sun damage, etc has mostly effected the top area where I part my hair all the time.

Current routine:
Coat hair, heavily on top, sides, ends, with coconut oil for about an hour-to-overnight.
Then, Condition/Wash/Condition/ACV rinse/Air dry.
Did I miss anything, lol

coffinhert
April 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM
If you are willing to have yellow-tone hair you could try cassia. It's an herb that gives a non-permanent golden yellow color, it would definitely show on your salt and pepper. It acts as a super conditioner for about a month after treatment and then it washes out, along with the color. You can buy it from hennasooq.com, you mix it with chamomile tea and put it in your hair for a few hours.

Can't recommend coconut oil enough. I put a little bit on my palms and smooth it into my wet hair when I get out of the shower.