PDA

View Full Version : laughing at my sister.

amanda_the_tall
April 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM
my sister just got back from the hair salon, she got about 4 inches of hair cut off (up to shoulder length.
the funny part is: the hair stylist said her hair looked awful and asked if she had been straightening it 20 times in a row or what. (which is yes, although she has 1b hair.)
what's even more funny is she's straightening it again right now. with no heat protectant. d'oh.

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Sigh... This sounds EXACTLY like my sister. Little does she know, I'm going to change her. :D

katsrevenge
April 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Oh my. Some never do want to learn!

Diamond.Eyes
April 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Oh man :bigeyes:. If she isn't going to stop straightening her hair she at least needs to use some kind of oil or heat protectant. Maybe you could educate her on heatless straightening methods such as hair wrapping? Also, if her hair is only 1b she could probably achieve straight hair by blow drying on the cool setting with a flat brush.

SoulOfTheSea
April 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
:laugh: My 14 year old sister has 1c hair and refuses to stop straightening her hair every time she washes it. Oh I cannot await the day she realizes she has been wrong about her ways!

Amber_Maiden
April 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
My 21 year old sister bleaches and straightens her hair... and then wonders why it breaks off...

MoonlightShadow
April 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
That makes me want to cringe....My sister straightens her hair every other day

spidermom
April 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Straightening 1B hair? She must enjoy doing it.

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
That's one way to maintain a shoulder length cut...

amanda_the_tall
April 24th, 2012, 04:27 PM
i agree with all of you:
she does have heat protectant spray, but since it was dry she didn't use it. and it's more of a 'everyone else straightens their hair so i must too'. because she's an 8th grader. and the 8th graders in our town *must* look and act exactly the same. and her brushing, whew. rip snap crackle. she will scrunch it with hairspray then rip a paddle brush through it the next day. she doesn't listen, because she thinks she knows better. lol. fortunately her hair is much thicker than mine, so only the last couple of inches look bad after months of being boiled and sprayed.

lilbeef
April 24th, 2012, 04:34 PM
That's one way to maintain a shoulder length cut...

Agreed 100%

dwell_in_safety
April 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM
lol Oh dear. For all my silliness, at least I was never addicted to the straightener. She might learn.

amanda_the_tall
April 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM
now she's coated it in hairspray and trying to scrunch it. she's hilarious

Hollyfire3
April 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
now she's coated it in hairspray and trying to scrunch it. she's hilarious

What is her hairtype? Perhaps her type can take it....oh that must be quite the sight, scrunching with hairspray! have you shared out ways with her yet? :)

pes3108
April 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
sounds like my younger sister too! When we were younger, she had really thick shiny hair. Now after years of straightening and blow drying, it's fried, thin, and dull. I try to tell her that its not good for her hair, but she won't listen... at all. She keeps saying she wants to grow it out but can't seem to get it out of the stage between shoulder and APL. Sigh....... it makes me sad :(

amanda_the_tall
April 24th, 2012, 07:11 PM
i'm thinking her hairtype is 1b/c f ii. she might even be a medium instead of a fine. it's pretty resilient, considering she straightens it every single day, and it's always relatively shiny. you can't really tell damage until the last two or three inches. i have *finally* convinced her to use a wide tooth comb after she gets out of the shower, i guess you have to win them over slowly. it just kills me that her hair is so much thicker and she kills it and it still looks decent.

battles
April 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Making a thread on a public forum to "laugh at your sister" for what she chooses to do with her hair seems a little unnecessary and mean. :( I'm not sure if it's just me, but the holier than thou attitude about hair care around here is a little depressing at times.

:twocents:

cheetahfast
April 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Making a thread on a public forum to "laugh at your sister" for what she chooses to do with her hair seems a little unnecessary and mean. :( I'm not sure if it's just me, but the holier than thou attitude about hair care around here is a little depressing at times.

I was thinking that, but too scared to post it.

tweetylonghair
April 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Its annoying they don't care or want to learn. I have to admit even though I recently have started to crimp my hair i use a heat protectant and I only do it maybe once a month.

amanda_the_tall
April 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM

i'm sorry, i didn't mean to come across that way. i was meaning it to be more of a gateway for people to share humorous quirks/ hair stories.

julliams
April 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I have to say that at her age I was doing exactly the same. And my straightener wasn't ceramic - it was those nasty metal plates and you flicked a switch and it became a crimping iron.

She is learning independence and making all kinds of decisions about what she likes and doesn't like. It's from all these experiences that she will decide what works for her. If you want to help her, let her know in a kind and supportive way that there are ways to achieve what she wants without using heat and that you will be happy to talk her through it - if she wants to.

You really can't force these things. Perhaphs if you can find a good role model for her on youtube, she might be more inclined to listen. I found a video of a sweet girl who did a heatless taylor swift look that I thought would be great for my 13 year old daughter. As you can see from your own sister, they take important advice from their peers who most often don't know best.

Try to stay positive with her (and try not to laugh at her...)

Maelyssa
April 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Lol I have a step daughter just like that...never learns.

PeacenQuietGal
April 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
OP maybe you can persuade her to read the thread "What I Would Tell my Twelve Year Old Self"....

She could become your little LHC protoge!!! Maybe you could show her progress, without revealing her face or identity of course? That would be fun.

patienceneeded
April 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM
i agree with all of you:
she does have heat protectant spray, but since it was dry she didn't use it. and it's more of a 'everyone else straightens their hair so i must too'. because she's an 8th grader. and the 8th graders in our town *must* look and act exactly the same. and her brushing, whew. rip snap crackle. she will scrunch it with hairspray then rip a paddle brush through it the next day. she doesn't listen, because she thinks she knows better. lol. fortunately her hair is much thicker than mine, so only the last couple of inches look bad after months of being boiled and sprayed.

As an 8th grade teacher, I have to agree with your statements about the 8th-grade girl mentality. It's rather entertaining to watch the pack mentality that develops. And embarrassing to recognize that I was JUST LIKE THEM 20 years ago. 😄

PurplePenguin
April 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM
My baby sister is almost 16 and she abuses the crap out of her hair and to my wonder it looks amazing. Honestly my sister looks like a model with her perfect hair...or at least that's what it looks like in the pictures. My mom says she straightens daily and when she wants it curly she curls it with a curling iron, mind you she already has pretty wavy hair. She dyes it a lot too. Mom says its completely fried but I'm moving back home soon so I'll teach her how to really take care of it.

gossamer
April 24th, 2012, 08:29 PM
As an 8th grade teacher, I have to agree with your statements about the 8th-grade girl mentality. It's rather entertaining to watch the pack mentality that develops. And embarrassing to recognize that I was JUST LIKE THEM 20 years ago. 😄

I remember with horror the day in 8th grade I put my hair in a bun instead of leaving it in a braid like it usually was. ALL DAY people were asking me, "Gossamer, why did you do your hair like that?" "What made you change?" "Why do you look so different?"

We didn't all have to look the same (international school, wouldn't have worked anyway) but we did have to remain completely consistent to ourselves, I guess!

ByGrace90
April 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM
My sister would do the same thing. It's so sad to just sit and watch

corvinadea
April 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I also teach 8th graders and it is so hilarious when they ask why my hair is so long and healthy. Then I watch the look of horror on their faces when I tell them to stop washing, blow frying, and flat-ironing their hair EVERY DAY. They don't seem to connect the fact that they love my hair even though it isn't the stick straight hair they emulate with their own hair. Maybe one day....

HintOfMint
April 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Oh boy was I ever there when I was that age. Let's see, I highlighted my hair with red and then brassy blonde from a box (L'oreal Feria--notoriously damaging), I teased my hair at the roots, brushed violently, used curling irons on it when wet when I was bored... my one redeeming action was having discovered conditioner that very year. No, I did not use it before then.

She'll learn soon enough. There was a time when I thought that I would never swear off blowdryers and there was a time when I thought damage from heat was overrated...

jacqueline101
April 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Some people never learn.

sfgirl
April 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Meh, heat protectant sprays don't work that well, and if she's in 8th grade I wouldn't be too hard on her. If straightening her hair makes her feel better during the difficult middle school period, good for her. Some people don't mind just having shorter hair and getting to heat style it and such. Everyone is different and I respect the choice to not try to grow long too. :)

noelgirl
April 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM

I think 8th grade was the height of the cut/straighten/highlight pressure. And even in my stubborn refusal to do as these girls said, I didn't have the cajones to point out that they wouldn't have accepted me anyway :rolleyes:

meeliah
April 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Your sister sounds just like me. The cool thing is that she'll have a great mentor if she ever wants to change.

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM
My little sister is the exact same age, and has come around a lot on this. Probably because she watched me go through it. When I was in high school, I would NOT leave the house without straightened hair. One day, our power went and I cried until my mom let me stay home from school. BECAUSE I COULDN'T STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR!
When my sister told me she wanted to grow her hair out too, because she saw that I was able to, I started small. "Use a wide-tooth comb." She did that. "Don't wash your hair in hot water anymore." She did that. I've gotten her to the point where she puts coconut oil in her hair before bed. She still straightens it sometimes, and straightens her bangs every day. But she will learn. :)

AnqeIicDemise
April 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
It reminds me of how today I was talking with a co worker and I told her I'd been tempted to get a pixie (I blame Allure and Glamour. Its a huge trend this month. Watch, May it'll be ALL about long hair again!). After a beat, I laughed and said I'd hate myself for it later. I'd miss my hair.

H: But think of all the time you'd save!
M: O.o; nani?
H: I mean, you'd cut down on blow drying and styling and.. .
M: I don't heat style.
H: -jaw drops- How do you get it all shiny and silky? Your hair is always different!
m: I air dry. It takes a huge chunk out of my time on wash day, but I spend less on my hair than I do on my nails. I think the most I spend on it is having it the purple put in every few months.