PDA

View Full Version : How stretchy are your strands??

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
So I was reading on another thread (the henna one) and someone mentioned that their hair doesn't snap even with quite a bit of pressure on it. Now my hair offers little to no resistance to breaking mostly this is because my hair is really damaged but I remember when my hair was BSL and virgin back in high school it would still snap without much pressure at all.

I am very careful about my moisture/protein balance but I don't think my hair even when it becomes virgin (one day) will be a whole lot more stretchy than my hair now.

So anyways my question is do most of the people on this forum have hair that snaps without a lot of pressure or am I an odd duck??

Also for people who have hair that is resistant to snapping is their anything you do in your routine that you feel helps your hair?

chrissy-b
July 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Since I've been doing cassia treatments and oiling frequently with coconut oil, I feel like my hair's strength has improved.

I was using cones and blow drying everyday and my hair would snap and break so easily. Now I can pull on it and it doesn't stretch very much (unless it's wet) and doesn't break or even come close to feeling like it's going to break.

Much improved since joining LHC.:cheese:

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Since I've been doing cassia treatments and oiling frequently with coconut oil, I feel like my hair's strength has improved.

I was using cones and blow drying everyday and my hair would snap and break so easily. Now I can pull on it and it doesn't stretch very much (unless it's wet) and doesn't break or even come close to feeling like it's going to break.

Much improved since joining LHC.:cheese:

I've been thinking about Cassia treatments, I've been reading a lot about them lately.

My hair hardly stretches at all, even when it's wet. I think I am in the minority of LHCers.

I kind of think that part of it is because I have fine hair but so do you and you don't have the same issue so I don't know. :shrug:

The coconut oil is a good idea except it prevents protein loss which I really, really need so I skip it in favor of jojoba oil.

salamander
July 27th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Maybe olive oil would be a better idea than jojoba. If you've put too much protein in your hair then theoretically you need moisture to balance it out, and I find jojoba cuts down on frizz, but olive oil is best for really putting moisture in. In fact, I should probably do an olive oil deep treatment, I washed my hair today and it's getting all poofy, which means dry for me.

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I haven't been able to decide if my hair has a protein/moisture balance :blushing:
It does seem to break rather easily, not stretching much.
I'll be watching this thread :)

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Maybe olive oil would be a better idea than jojoba. If you've put too much protein in your hair then theoretically you need moisture to balance it out, and I find jojoba cuts down on frizz, but olive oil is best for really putting moisture in. In fact, I should probably do an olive oil deep treatment, I washed my hair today and it's getting all poofy, which means dry for me.

hmmm... I've tried olive oil and found that it was a bit too heavy for my hair. But I'll try anything to add moisture to my hair so I think I'll give it another go.

When you do olive oil deep treatments do you add anything to it or just plain olive oil?

Faepirate
July 27th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I get really lost with the whole stretchy/breaky test. :confused:

When I try to stretch my hair I really can't tell whether a strand is stretching or slipping from between my fingers! I don't know how you people manage to grip a single strand of wet hair! :confused:

So, sigh, I give up. I am a protein/moisture dunce. My hair clearly needs something but it could be minced beef and ratatouille for all I know. :(

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I haven't been able to decide if my hair has a protein/moisture balance :blushing:
It does seem to break rather easily, not stretching much.
I'll be watching this thread :)

We have pretty close to the same hair type, is your hair damaged?

One way to check for protein/moisture balance is by taking a wet strand and stretching it. If it breaks without stretching then you have too much protein. If it stretches a lot and doesn't go back to it's original size then you have too much moisture. If it stretches pretty decent and then returns to it's original size you have a good balance.

Most people need more moisture rather than protein but their are always exceptions.

I avoid protein with a kind of phobia lol. In fact I have memorized all of the different names that protein hides behind and search my conditioner and shampoo bottles for them. If they aren't near the very bottom then I won't use them. I also do deep treatments and use aloe and jojoba oil every day on my length but I am obviously missing something...

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I get really lost with the whole stretchy/breaky test. :confused:

When I try to stretch my hair I really can't tell whether a strand is stretching or slipping from between my fingers! I don't know how you people manage to grip a single strand of wet hair! :confused:

So, sigh, I give up. I am a protein/moisture dunce. My hair clearly needs something but it could be minced beef and ratatouille for all I know. :(
:laugh::laugh: lol

I just wrap each end of the hair around my index fingers and pull. If it's wrapped a few times it doesn't slip and my hair has a lot of slip. I hate doing the test though because it's always disheartening :(

If wrapping the strand a few times doesn't work then you probably have super slippery hair. Or do you use heavy duty cones??

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM
We have pretty close to the same hair type, is your hair damaged?

One way to check for protein/moisture balance is by taking a wet strand and stretching it. If it breaks without stretching then you have too much protein. If it stretches a lot and doesn't go back to it's original size then you have too much moisture. If it stretches pretty decent and then returns to it's original size you have a good balance.

Most people need more moisture rather than protein but their are always exceptions.

I avoid protein with a kind of phobia lol. In fact I have memorized all of the different names that protein hides behind and search my conditioner and shampoo bottles for them. If they aren't near the very bottom then I won't use them. I also do deep treatments and use aloe and jojoba oil every day on my length but I am obviously missing something...

My hair is not damaged (heat or chemical), but it's hasn't been it's best lately. It's at APL and longest it's ever been, and virgin except for henna. I feel something is missing but don't know what... I also feel I don't "know" my hair anymore, it has changed so much in last year (went from straight to wavy, from F to F/M, it isn't as sleek, slippery, shiny as I have used it to be... etc.)

Heh, I have done the strand test on DRY hairs, I'll try the wet hair test next. On dry hair, it breaks rather easily, doesn't stretch much BUT doesn't seem to get back to its original size.

I have given moisture, but I feel the products I use maybe are not effective/ moisturizing enough (cheap finnish brand - no cones). I also oil after wash on damp hair, I have tried both coconut and olive, and of these two olive leaves the hair feeling considerably more moisturized, and coconut oil makes it feel stronger.

I'll report back my wet strand test!

ETA: I love your sig picture!

jojo
July 27th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Well when mine was dyed it snapped really easily, now it stretches quite a bit. I think when it snaps easily it needs more protein; mayo is excellent i find for putting protein in the hair but it stinks! another way is henna placenta treatment.

I normally do a mayo treatment once a month.

julya
July 27th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Hmm, I'd never tried this stretch test, so I did just now. My hair didn't seem to stretch at all, just snapped. I've never considered a protein treatment before, but maybe I ought to. I think it mostly has to do with having fine hair though.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Well when mine was dyed it snapped really easily, now it stretches quite a bit. I think when it snaps easily it needs more protein; mayo is excellent i find for putting protein in the hair but it stinks! another way is henna placenta treatment.

I normally do a mayo treatment once a month.

Unless I have misunderstood what I've read I think when your hair has too much protein then it snaps without stretching. When it needs protein is when it stretches like bubble gum and doesn't retain its shape...

Arctic
July 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Here's this article that's been posted around alot: Protein/ moisture balance article (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/511).

Here's a page with some hair tests: Elasticity test (http://www.verticalsinhair.com/elasticity.shtml)

Somehow I would find these easier if I would have something to compare to :)

Eurydice
July 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
My hair snaps with almost no pressure, wet or dry. Granted I'm growing out twenty years of dye damage, but the strands that are henna all the way down aren't much more elastic than the other strands. Maybe I should lay off the coconut oil in favor of camellia oil for a while, though I hate to because the coconut oil makes my hair so glossy and nice.

n3m3sis42
July 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
My hair doesn't stretch at ALL. It does have some damage, but it doesn't seem damaged enough to explain its total lack of stretch. I have been doing SMTs once a week for the past month, but it doesn't seem to have changed the stretch factor too much (it does feel quite soft now, though).

I'm starting to wonder if my hair just IS this way.

Curlsgirl
July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have a good amount of stretch and it's hard to break and it does go right back to it's original shape. It hasn't always though. I use coconut oil and a LOT of moisture meaning ALWAYS leave-in after CWC and then coconut oil to help seal it in. In between washing I wear lots of updos and add more coconut oil if it seems to feel drier. I was doing quite a few DTs with aloe gel and moisturizing conditioner and heat but find I don't need as many now that my hair is healthier. I feel like the main thing is using products that work for YOU that contain moisturizing ingredients. My leave-in is VERY important and though I tried using a cone conditioner for a bit, it did seem to dry out my hair very quickly so I went back to cone-free again. It just works better for me. Also I don't use a stripping shampoo on my length, though I do use an SLS shampoo usually once a week, I dilute it.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I have a good amount of stretch and it's hard to break and it does go right back to it's original shape. It hasn't always though. I use coconut oil and a LOT of moisture meaning ALWAYS leave-in after CWC and then coconut oil to help seal it in. In between washing I wear lots of updos and add more coconut oil if it seems to feel drier. I was doing quite a few DTs with aloe gel and moisturizing conditioner and heat but find I don't need as many now that my hair is healthier. I feel like the main thing is using products that work for YOU that contain moisturizing ingredients. My leave-in is VERY important and though I tried using a cone conditioner for a bit, it did seem to dry out my hair very quickly so I went back to cone-free again. It just works better for me. Also I don't use a stripping shampoo on my length, though I do use an SLS shampoo usually once a week, I dilute it.

Hmmm... I am pretty happy with my routine and I actually feel that I've reached a pretty decent balance with my routine and the products I use; I don't use cones or SLS (maybe once every month or two for clarifying) and I wash every 2-3 days. I would just like to up the moisture in my hair and increase elasticity. What kind of leave in do you use?

I did an olive oil deep treatment before I went to bed this morning (I work nights). I mixed molasses, aloe, and olive oil and applied it to my wet hair. I didn't notice any difference in elasticity when I washed my hair, it still didn't have any stretch when I did the test.

I am going to try to use olive oil as my leave in for the next few weeks instead of jojoba though to give it a fair shot to try and increase moisture.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
My hair doesn't stretch at ALL. It does have some damage, but it doesn't seem damaged enough to explain its total lack of stretch. I have been doing SMTs once a week for the past month, but it doesn't seem to have changed the stretch factor too much (it does feel quite soft now, though).

I'm starting to wonder if my hair just IS this way.

Me too. I have 6 inches of virgin hair that has been treated very very kindly. No heat or dye and minimal cones and when I take a strand and stretch the area of new growth it still doesn't stretch. So I wonder if part of that is simply because I have fine hair, it's almost transparent unless it's held up to something with a light background. Part of the reason it's so fine is because of all of the dying and heat styling I used to do, my newer growth is not quite as fine as my older growth.

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Mine cycles according to my henna use.

Immediately after henna: it snaps before stretching at all. But, it is hard to snap. I have to pull hard.

Increasingly while I get enough moisture in it: stretches farther and farther, and it does return. How long this takes depends on what else I am doing with my hair.

Then, I got roots and it's time to henna again.

missmanytoes
July 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
EvaSimone, I use EVOO for a moisturizing treatment whenever my hair seems to need it. Sometimes that is once every couple of months, sometimes it is once every couple of weeks. For a light moisturizing treatment I take the EVOO bottle and put my hand on the top and just flip the bottle over and back. That is all the oil I use. Then I smear it over my hands and rub it in. I use a BBB to distribute it over the hair and leave this on overnight and wash out the next day. For a HEAVY oiling I use about 1/4 cup oil and use a heat cap for a few hours and leave the EVOO on overnight. I only do this heavy treatment when I have the following day off from work since sometimes I have a difficult time washing all the EVOO out and may have to wash a 2nd time to remove it all. Usually after EVOOiling my hair is sleek and very slippy.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Here's this article that's been posted around alot: Protein/ moisture balance article (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/511).

Here's a page with some hair tests: Elasticity test (http://www.verticalsinhair.com/elasticity.shtml)

Somehow I would find these easier if I would have something to compare to :)

Thanks for the link Arctic! I have read these articles before but then had forgotten where I had found them.

I am including a selection of the article from the protein/moisture balance article by SistaSlick over on black beauty black hair forum. If this is some kind of copyright issue then mods please delete this :flower:

As a synopsis of the article SistaSlick goes pretty in depth on how to assess your hair for moisture/protein deficiency. She believes that wrapping a wet strand of hair around your fingers and pulling is not a good assessment or moisture or protein because it is an undue stressor and thus not an accurate portrayal of the hairs true elasticity.

She says that the best way to assess your hair is to comb or touch it when wet; if it's stretching like mushy chewing gum their is a protein deficiency but if it's snapping without stretching their is a moisture issue.

So basically I have been testing my own strands incorrectly and encouraging others to also :o

Perhaps my hair isn't as deficient as I originally thought since I can finger comb and touch it when wet and it doesn't break. But I am sure that I could probably benefit from more moisture.

Without further ado here is the selection from the article by SistaSlick:
How Do I Perform a Proper Wet Assessment?

It will be difficult for you to wet assess your hair by holding a single strand and pulling on both ends. That type of stress would be considered "undue" stress, because no single hair is ever really subjected to that sort of tension at one time. Any strand of hair (healthy or not) that you pull on by both ends has the potential to snap depending on the pressure you apply to it. Hair should be wet assessed by the normal act of combing though it or touching-testing it.

Wet Assessment Break Down

If your hair:

(Wet or Dry) Stretches slighty/returns to original length /no breaking= you are balanced just stick with maintaining!
(Wet ot Dry) Stretching a little more than normal then breaks= more protein

(Wet or Dry)Stretching, stretching, stretching/no breakage yet= more protein

(Wet)- Weak, gummy, mushy, limp hair= more protein

(Wet or Dry) Very little/no stretching then breakage= more moisture

(Dry) Rough/tough/hard/tangly/brittle hair= more moisture

Unsure= err on the side of moisture"

I would encourage everyone interested in the effects of moisture and protein on hair to read SistaSlicks extremely comprehensive article.

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I spoke to a friend about this, and it all depends on the way you pull the strand. If you take a piece of hair, and pull it with a lot of tension, it will snap. However, if you take it from far ends, with lots of looseness between, it will stretch much longer.

Stretchy hair isn't a way to tell if it's healthy. But, it's fun to play with those shedded hairs :D

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Mine is stretchy without breaking. It's kinda fun to play with actually :D

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I spoke to a friend about this, and it all depends on the way you pull the strand. If you take a piece of hair, and pull it with a lot of tension, it will snap. However, if you take it from far ends, with lots of looseness between, it will stretch much longer.

Stretchy hair isn't a way to tell if it's healthy. But, it's fun to play with those shedded hairs :D

I respectfully disagree with the second paragraph, not the first.

If it is done the same way every time, it has been a very useful tool for me. And I can see the difference after doing moisture, etc.